P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, janny444 said:

My thoughts exactly.....our post practically non existent....bank statements....3 of....usually arrive on the 2nd day of the month.....not one of them has arrived ....a phone hospital appointment booked 3 weeks ago ...always backed up with a letter....nothing....Xmas cards....only hand delivered ones

Goodness knows where all the unreceived post is being kept

Our post has just arrived. 2 cards and a tax code. No junk today. 

Quite windy, with occasional showers here today, temperature is 14C at the moment 16 C in my greenhouse, which is 20C above the low temperature of Saturday night, when it dropped to -4C in the greenhouse, outside it was -8C. Overwintering plants were either in my hastily construct insulated box or covered in fleece, they seemed to have survived. 

A morning of watching the cricket or BazBall as it’s termed these days, saw young England spinner Rehan Ahmed take 5 wickets and become the youngest test cricketer to achieve  that feat at just 18 years of age. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Average salary for Postie is around £22,000, many on less, some on more, my BiL said he was on £18,500 a year when he worked as a Postie about 4 years ago, a job he took on following redundancy from his previous job in his late 50’s. 

As he said to me a few years ago is not a great reward for a job you start at 5:30am, walking the streets in all weathers, many of his colleagues suffered with knee and back problems from the heavy sacks carried. Then there is the abuse you get from some customers, for not bringing the letter they expected or the junk leaflets that get pushed through with the post, that they don’t really wish to deliver.

Our Posties delivered all though the pandemic, checked on people they knew were vulnerable, always happy to have a short chat, we know them by their first names as a result, Paul, Dave and Sarah who deliver to our address, Paul replaced Pat, yes that was his name, he was from Cork in Ireland, had to retire early from the delivery side of the RM with an injury to his lower spine, still works in the Delivery Office, but has a desk job. 

Our posties drive a van and work in twos, they only seem to carry a handful of mail between drop off locations, so not really arduous, other than the early starts. 

However we certainly do not seem to have received the normal number of cards, whether these are still to be delivered, or because people are cutting down I have no idea.

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Our posties drive a van and work in twos, they only seem to carry a handful of mail between drop off locations, so not really arduous, other than the early starts. 

However we certainly do not seem to have received the normal number of cards, whether these are still to be delivered, or because people are cutting down I have no idea.

We had some post today (first in 6 days) and I asked the very pleasant lady delivering if there would be another delivery before Christmas and her reply was that it was unlikely……

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Ours is a lovely young, well to me, lad, who always has a chat and will take mail from us to save posting. His main problem is they now have to collect small parcels from houses if they have been prebooked. His bag today was stuffed with them.

19 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Our posties drive a van but work alone. They drive long distances and have to open and close tens of gates on every round, in all weather conditions. 

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

All the cards we were expecting have arrived, the ones we sent have also arrived at their destination, as have had WhatsApp messages thanking us for cards. Most of our cards were posted as we always do in the first week in December, except for those overseas which went earlier. No bank statements, ten again wouldn’t expect any as all online, same with most bills, went online a few years ago, saves on paper and it’s subsequent disposal. 

We only ever use 2nd Class Stamps, no point paying for first class as letterbox in village gets collected at 7am each day, so no chance of a first class service locally, one of the earlier Royal Mail cutbacks, collection used to be 4:30pm. To get a collection same day have to drive to shopping centre, pay £1 to park, to take letter to postbox in W H Smiths, which is where the Post Office moved the service to after it closed the Main Post Office in the town, a downgrade in service, less staff, less service points and longer queues. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Ours is a lovely young, well to me, lad, who always has a chat and will take mail from us to save posting. His main problem is they now have to collect small parcels from houses if they have been prebooked. His bag today was stuffed with them.

Our pre booked parcels are collected by a different postie in a van, who covers a wider area, same with deliveries of small parcels, the on foot postie doesn’t collect parcels. 

7 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

We received one Christmas card just now 1st class and post marked 15th December, so got here fairly quickly considering.

Some of my cards that were posted around 3rd Dec with 2nd class stamps arrived the next day - and some of those posted that same day are on the scenic route….

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zap99 said:

Perhaps Harry and Meghan have an interesting tale to tell.

Maybe, but they’ve got absolutely no chance of a fair hearing in the UK because almost the entire media is actively campaigning against them. There might be the odd exception, but it’s close to 100%.

Then you get this from that unpleasant idiot Jeremy Clarkson:

"At night, I'm unable to sleep as I lie there, grinding my teeth and dreaming of the day when she [Meghan] is made to parade naked through the streets of every town in Britain while the crowds chant 'Shame!' and throw lumps of excrement at her.”

I’ve no particularly view either way, but I do believe in fairness, and all this stuff in the media smacks more of racism than fairness.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Maybe, but they’ve got absolutely no chance of a fair hearing in the UK because almost the entire media is actively campaigning against them. There might be the odd exception, but it’s close to 100%.

"At night, I'm unable to sleep as I lie there, grinding my teeth and dreaming of the day when she [Meghan] is made to parade naked through the streets of every town in Britain while the crowds chant 'Shame!' and throw lumps of excrement at her.”

I’ve no particularly view either way, but I do believe in fairness, and all this stuff in the media smacks more of racism than fairness.

That was a Game of Thrones reference, that seems to have escaped many people. 

• Like 2

I know the media have been hounding Harry and Megan but they have not done themselves any favours by some of their comments about the King, William and Kate, some of which I don't believe.

I would like to see the result of the inquiry looking at the alleged bullying of staff by Megan. Now the Queen has passed it should published to vindicate, or otherwise , the complaints made by staff, many of whom have left their posts because of Megan's alleged bullying behaviour.

• Like 3

I really don't think it is racism; people seemed happy to accept her, and paid a fortune for their wedding, which was lovely, and then it all started to go pear shaped mainly due to bits in the paper obviously handed to them by palace employees, alleging bullying and high handedness.  Somehow, this did manage to ring true, certainly to me.  She did seem like a typical 'American Princess', those young women in the States who think they can do and have exactly what they like - known as 'entitlement'.  That appalling baby shower in New York, for instance.  Just 'not British', especially to older people.  And exactly the opposite of what the Royal family try to  impress on us (though we all know that they live charmed lives when not actually working).  So I am afraid I too dislike her, though would not dream of writing what Clarkson has; you are entitled to think things like that, but should never utter them in public.

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Does that somehow excuse Clarkson from a vile attack on this woman?

https://www.met.police.uk/advice/advice-and-information/hco/hate-crime/what-is-hate-crime/

It’ll be interesting to see whether he’s considered to have committed a criminal offence and prosecuted.  He’s no better than the equally vile Katy Hopkins, both pandering to the very worst aspects of what’s left of British society.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Are we Billy NoMates now or is it general that people aren't sending many Christmas Cards by post this year.   

At not far off a quid a time for 2nd class, have Royal Mail shot themselves in the foot, when taking cost and strikes into consideration.  We arrived home 8 days ago, and have had nothing since, including my bank statement which always arrives on 15th and a brochure from a medical facility that we ordered over three weeks ago.

Our postman told our neighbour the other day (Friday or Saturday) that he was only delivering parcels, as letters hadn't even been received at his depot.

We posted our cards right at the start of December, and received cards from other early posters, but I think the system is completely backed up now.  I'll be surprised  if any more cards are received this side of Christmas.

To be honest, I don't really miss having the cards. I think I'll cut down on the cards I send next year, stop sending to the people who I don't see anymore. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

We don't know Harry and probably never will. I have lots I would like to say but won't.  I would support Harry and Megan 100%.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

I know the media have been hounding Harry and Megan but they have not done themselves any favours by some of their comments about the King, William and Kate, some of which I don't believe.

I would like to see the result of the inquiry looking at the alleged bullying of staff by Megan. Now the Queen has passed it should published to vindicate, or otherwise , the complaints made by staff, many of whom have left their posts because of Megan's alleged bullying behaviour.

As I said earlier,  nobody but them know the truth.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Having seen all of Game of Thrones, the reference did not escape me.

The scenes being referred to, from a woman's perspective at least, were very harrowing, and I thought the actress was extremely brave to have performed the scenes.

It beggars belief that Clarkson would wish this on a fellow human being. I hope this is career ending for Clarkson and the person at the Scum who gave the go ahead for this to be printed

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I really don't think it is racism; people seemed happy to accept her, and paid a fortune for their wedding, which was lovely, and then it all started to go pear shaped mainly due to bits in the paper obviously handed to them by palace employees, alleging bullying and high handedness.  Somehow, this did manage to ring true, certainly to me.  She did seem like a typical 'American Princess', those young women in the States who think they can do and have exactly what they like - known as 'entitlement'.  That appalling baby shower in New York, for instance.  Just 'not British', especially to older people.  And exactly the opposite of what the Royal family try to  impress on us (though we all know that they live charmed lives when not actually working).  So I am afraid I too dislike her, though would not dream of writing what Clarkson has; you are entitled to think things like that, but should never utter them in public.

The alleged racist comments as well as the alleged bullying and the alleged.........Oh....we don't know. Last comment before I get given a holiday.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We don't know Harry and probably never will. I have lots I would like to say but won't.  I would support Harry and Megan 100%.

Probably just the two of us then! The British Press has a lot to answer for, and it never learns. I’m thoroughly fed up with its constant direction of the course the country takes.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Double nope 🙉

Avril

With you entirely, Avril, though I might perhaps take it one stage further.

I’m not remotely interested in any of the ’Royal Family’. It’s unelected, outdated, extraordinarily expensive, and far too big, with far too many hangers on.

It has precious little constitutional significance, and the only reason most people give for keeping it is that it’s traditional and that it brings in tourists!

Happy to go with the slimmed down Dutch or Swedish versions though, if necessary.

• Like 6