P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

11 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

As I get more deaf with age, I long to hear a crisp clean BBC accent from the actors on TV programmes. The mutterings, whisperings, background music and the unintelligible accents on some TV programmes is very tiresome, and trying to keep up with the action, and read subtitles at the same time rather takes the enjoyment out of many programmes.

I have to agree John. We watch very little TV now for that reason, well that and the fact that most of it is rubbish now anyway. The thing I find most infuriating is having to turn the sound up to hear what they're saying, and down again when the 'music' starts. I was sat constantly with the remote in my hand, adjusting the sound. We watch Amazon Prime and I watch the news on my laptop. 

Avril

• Like 3

Clear blue skies although a chilly 4C. A trip to recycling centre this morning, wash the car, sow last of vegetable seeds, drop by my sons to deliver Easter Eggs for 2 of my grandchildren and to see what his latest DIY project is. So all in all a busy day.

• Like 2

Just now, Adawn47 said:

I have to agree John. We watch very little TV now for that reason, well that and the fact that most of it is rubbish now anyway. The thing I find most infuriating is having to turn the sound up to hear what they're saying, and down again when the 'music' starts. I was sat constantly with the remote in my hand, adjusting the sound. We watch Amazon Prime and I watch the news on my laptop. 

Avril

Still more than happy with what’s on Freeview, carefully selected and recorded via a Humax PVR (hours and hours backed up), but with you entirely on the sound.  Using the subtitles now when that happens, and it’s a big help.

What does amaze me though is that using subtitles on British programmes is now incredibly common with young people. Why? Apparently it enables them to multitask, but I just don’t get that!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Jim Broadbent comes from just north of Lincoln and he can do one, but I’d struggle to find a clip!

It’s now dying out fast, but here’s an example:

As you get nearer the Norfolk border though, it merges with the very different Norfolk accent.

Still prefer the Suffolk accent - but that’s dying out too.  Essex once had a similar accent (my grandparents had it) but it’s mostly been swamped by a London mix now.

That blokes on a wind up,he keeps laughing.Vittles,that's from the Beverley Hillbillies.But I'll take your word for it Harry.

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Still more than happy with what’s on Freeview, carefully selected and recorded via a Humax PVR (hours and hours backed up), but with you entirely on the sound.  Using the subtitles now when that happens, and it’s a big help.

What does amaze me though is that using subtitles on British programmes is now incredibly common with young people. Why? Apparently it enables them to multitask, but I just don’t get that!

That's exactly what we do Harry.Got 20 pages of films and programmes we haven't seen yet.Some of the films turn out to be second rate B movies from c4,lol,they soon get deleted.Brian.

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

The thing I find most infuriating is having to turn the sound up to hear what they're saying, and down again when the 'music' starts. I was sat constantly with the remote in my hand, adjusting the sound.

Thank God it's not just me. I've nearly worn the remote out!

Last night I watched a recording of Unforgotten. One of the actors was talking to another actor in French with english subtitles then part way through the conversation they both reverted to english and the subtitles went. Later that same actor spoke to another actor in Polish with english subtitles and, again, part way through, they both reverted to english and the subtitles went.............why???

Edited by Pine Man
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I only recently discovered this fact, my son tells me our youngest granddaughter always uses subtitles.

I must admit that on a smart phone it is probably the best way to view most video data.

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I have to agree John. We watch very little TV now for that reason, well that and the fact that most of it is rubbish now anyway. The thing I find most infuriating is having to turn the sound up to hear what they're saying, and down again when the 'music' starts. I was sat constantly with the remote in my hand, adjusting the sound.

I'm with you all on this one , quiz shows and the music gets louder as the contestants time 

runs out ,drowning out the quiz masters voice , or the adverts come on at what seems twice

the level you had set your TV volume to. I had a TV that used to stop this with the Ads  but

our new TV doesn't do that option .

There is no end to it ,the TV announcers are just as bad  and do not get me started on the 

You Tubers who put films together in various volume levels with a good blast of very loud 

music ,do they never check these before posting them ?

So no your not alone far from it. I'm sure they could sort this out but as yet ,I've not heard owt 😉 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

That blokes on a wind up,he keeps laughing.Vittles,that's from the Beverley Hillbillies.But I'll take your word for it Harry.

Still in use in some rural areas, Brian - maybe even in Italy!

I thought victuals died out in Dickensian times, and maybe the Licensed Victuallers’ Association, but apparently not!

Etymology: < Anglo-Norman and Old French vitaile, -aille (Old French also vitale , -alle , vittalle , victaille ) feminine < late Latin victuālia , neuter plural of post-classical Latin victuālis , <  victus food, sustenance: compare Provençal vit(o)alha , Spanish vitualla , Portuguese vitualha , Italian vettovaglia . The variant Old French and modern French form victuaille has been assimilated to the Latin original, and a similar change in spelling has been made in English, while the pronunciation still represents the forms vittel , vittle . 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, kalos said:

I'm with you all on this one , quiz shows and the music gets louder as the contestants time 

runs out ,drowning out the quiz masters voice , or the adverts come on at what seems twice

the level you had set your TV volume to. I had a TV that used to stop this with the Ads  but

our new TV doesn't do that option .

There is no end to it ,the TV announcers are just as bad  and do not get me started on the 

You Tubers who put films together in various volume levels with a good blast of very loud 

music ,do they never check these before posting them ?

So no your not alone far from it. I'm sure they could sort this out but as yet ,I've not heard owt 😉 

Everyone is so loud now. No-one talks anymore, they shout at each other. We will soon have a society full of deaf people with extra large texting thumbs.

Avril

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

59 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Still in use in some rural areas, Brian - maybe even in Italy!

I thought victuals died out in Dickensian times, and maybe the Licensed Victuallers’ Association, but apparently not!

Etymology: < Anglo-Norman and Old French vitaile, -aille (Old French also vitale , -alle , vittalle , victaille ) feminine < late Latin victuālia , neuter plural of post-classical Latin victuālis , <  victus food, sustenance: compare Provençal vit(o)alha , Spanish vitualla , Portuguese vitualha , Italian vettovaglia . The variant Old French and modern French form victuaille has been assimilated to the Latin original, and a similar change in spelling has been made in English, while the pronunciation still represents the forms vittel , vittle . 

Well I said didn't speak English proper.It must have arrived in the Southern states via the French maybe.Amazing the origins of words.Brian.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Well I said didn't speak English proper.It must have arrived in the Southern states via the French maybe.Amazing the origins of words.Brian.

Probably, just as you say.  I love words and where they come from, and I love dialects and local accents.  Mine's totally anonymous, but I can do a passable Cornish from having lived there a while, and a very good Suffolk for the same reason.  

One of the funny things is that people go on (me too!) about importing Americanisms.  Gotten is a word that gets a lot of objections - yet it originated here and went there with the Pilgrim Fathers.  Still in use in some parts of the UK, not that long ago.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

Coquille st jacques

Bless my Dover Sole! Is that the plaice in France near to Calais where the Channel tunnel ends? Once a prawn a time we used to like going there... only cost a few squid.... used to crab a few bottles of wine and lobster them into the boot for the return ferry. Now with all of these delays and suchlike... we just hake it. Haddock been for ages. Can't believe I'm whiting this. Cod have been doing the garden. if I had been able to winkle the mower out of the shed. Getting a bit hard of herring these days and sometime flounder a bit to understand the wife... got to get my skates on though... if I don't cut the grass, she'll make me dory it or I'll be in turbot! So it's limpet off to the shed for me.

All done without the use of alcohol! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

3 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

Bless my Dover Sole! Is that the plaice in France near to Calais where the Channel tunnel ends? Once a prawn a time we used to like going there... only cost a few squid.... used to crab a few bottles of wine and lobster them into the boot for the return ferry. Now with all of these delays and suchlike... we just hake it. Haddock been for ages. Can't believe I'm whiting this. Cod have been doing the garden. if I had been able to winkle the mower out of the shed. Getting a bit hard of herring these days and sometime flounder a bit to understand the wife... got to get my skates on though... if I don't cut the grass, she'll make me dory it or I'll be in turbot! So it's limpet off to the shed for me.

And they say that hardly anyone in Britain can name more than 5 fish!  😉

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

Done me like a kipper geeze.Hook line and sinker.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

This afternoon I replaced a smoke alarm because it had reached the end of its 10 year life.  No big deal, maybe, but for me replacing or repairing anything without a major disaster or getting a professional like Brian in (well, maybe not Brian for a smoke alarm, apart from the water powered variety) is a very big deal!

Took just a few minutes, the new one fitted perfectly without any rewiring, and incredibly direct replacements for the originals fitted when the house was built 20 years ago are still easily obtainable. So no rewiring work at all.

One down, eight to go!  They last ten years, which may well be longer than I will - a bit like buying your last car!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

More fish based puns anyone? 😆 🤣 

Nope I can't think of any  but my Mrs once asked me "Have you seen the fish bowl anywhere?"

I didn't realise that they could .😉

I once was taking a truck load of Omega 3 capsules, down the M1 but I crashed it .

Luckily I was  okay, I only sustained super fish oil injuries 🤣

• Haha 13