P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

4 hours ago, purplesea said:

Just skimmed through the last days posts. 

I have made it! I am on board😁have just a bite to eat, found our cabin. Next I'm going to a bar for a drink.

Have a fabulous cruise, look forward to hearing all about it.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Afternoon all, we did get out yesterday, went to Hole gardens near Rolvenden. The sun eventually came out but it wasn’t wall to wall sunshine as predicted. However we left home with grey skies and it was the same when we came home so we were glad we went.

IMG_8449.jpeg

IMG_8454.jpeg

IMG_8442.jpeg

IMG_8440.jpeg

IMG_8439.jpeg

IMG_8426.jpeg

Those tulips look like some new ones I plant this year. Gorgeous aren’t they.

7F02EAD2-7BA1-4A80-9E51-204B0421BFCE.jpeg

• Like 3

23 hours ago, grapau27 said:

My cholesterol was 3.5 and because I was on high blood pressure tablets my doctor considered me a coronary risk and prescribed statins.

I refused because I had heard about muscle pain and doctors get paid to get people onto statins.

I then had a mild heart attack and was given a high dose Atorvastatin which brought my cholesterol down to 2.5.

A year after my heart attack I asked if I could try another statin and on my records the nurse said 

Oh I see you have had simvastatin previously which I hadn't????

I am now on a low dose rosuvastatin.

Personally in hindsight I wished I had taken the statins earlier even though my cholesterol was low as it would have prevented my heart attack imo.

I wish I’d been offered statins earlier, all I had was 5 yearly ‘well woman’ checks. When they said my cholesterol was raised a bit I got it down by diet and had a checkup  3 months later. Then I was forgotten about until the next 5 years. 
Then I went to my GP with  chest pains, was immediately put on statins and BP medication and I thought ‘this is a bit over the top I haven’t had any tests yet’ A week later (in 2018) I was sent to a ‘chest pain clinic’ at the hospital and she wrote in her notes ‘untreated cholesterol since 2010’ I was sent for an angiogram and from that had my stent. Luckily I was employed by Lloyds Bank at the time and we had Bupa cover through them for £5 a month. That meant I got my stent in two weeks instead of the at least 12 week wait at the hospital. I’ll be forever grateful for that Bupa cover.

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Do you remember looking them up on microfiche? If a customer had a query they had to wait two days for us to get the microfiche!

We had a 'fiche' delivered each day, which gave the customer's account balance the previous evening.  What I remember most is, if a customer from another branch wanted to cash a cheque, we had to phone their branch to check their balance! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

Yes this annoys me greatly as after my stent my insurance has obviously risen. I can tell by the questions I’m at the lower end as it were eg have you had a heart attack (no) how many stents (1) but that cholesterol question bugs me. My cholesterol level is pretty low since I was put on the statins but I bet there are loads of people walking around now with very high levels who have no idea.

Last year when I checked the medical part of our travel insurance it showed I had a heart attack but NO stents.

I rang them back and told them we told the advisor I had 1 Stent.

We got a £16 refund.

Just now, grapau27 said:

Last year when I checked the medical part of our travel insurance it showed I had a heart attack but NO stents.

I rang them back and told them we told the advisor I had 1 Stent.

We got a £16 refund.

Wow, I wouldn’t have expected that.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I wish I’d been offered statins earlier, all I had was 5 yearly ‘well woman’ checks. When they said my cholesterol was raised a bit I got it down by diet and had a checkup  3 months later. Then I was forgotten about until the next 5 years. 
Then I went to my GP with  chest pains, was immediately put on statins and BP medication and I thought ‘this is a bit over the top I haven’t had any tests yet’ A week later (in 2018) I was sent to a ‘chest pain clinic’ at the hospital and she wrote in her notes ‘untreated cholesterol since 2010’ I was sent for an angiogram and from that had my stent. Luckily I was employed by Lloyds Bank at the time and we had Bupa cover through them for £5 a month. That meant I got my stent in two weeks instead of the at least 12 week wait at the hospital. I’ll be forever grateful for that Bupa cover.

You must have had a part blockage to get a stent put in.

The same thing happened to a friend.

If you hadn't had an angiogram with angioplasty and stent fitted you might have had a total artery block in the future and a heart attack.

Best wishes Sue.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

The same thing happened to a friend.

If you hadn't had an angiogram with angioplasty and stent fitted you might have had a total artery block in the future and a heart attack.

Best wishes Sue.

Yes indeed, I was so glad I went to the GP that day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

We had a 'fiche' delivered each day, which gave the customer's account balance the previous evening.  What I remember most is, if a customer from another branch wanted to cash a cheque, we had to phone their branch to check their balance! 

Yes we had one delivered every day but they were two days behind, I didn’t explain that properly! For example on the Tuesday we’d get the transactions from Friday and so on.

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 1

Just now, P&O SUE said:

Yes we had one delivered every day but they were two days behind, I didn’t explain that properly!

Now that I think about it, I remember ‘the fish’ (that’s how I used to think it was spelt) was two days behind. On payday, when people wanted to get their cash out, we always had to go and search for their bank giro credits, to make sure that the money had gone in.

I used to like working in the bank, as it felt that we were part of the local community, and built relationships with our customers. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Yes indeed, I was so glad I went to the GP that day.

I'm pleased for you too Sue.

The angiogram  shows the condition of all your arteries and it was a blessing they spotted a partial blockage which was causing your chest pain and fixed it with the angioplasty and stent before a more serious blockage and heart attack.

Were you prescribed 75mg Aspirin too as a blood thinner?.

Edited by grapau27

58 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I'm pleased for you too Sue.

The angiogram  shows the condition of all your arteries and it was a blessing they spotted a partial blockage which was causing your chest pain and fixed it with the angioplasty and stent before a more serious blockage and heart attack.

Were you prescribed 75mg Aspirin too as a blood thinner?.

Yes I was and another type of blood thinner tablet which I just had to take for a year.

7 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Yes I was and another type of blood thinner tablet which I just had to take for a year.

Yes Ticagrelor.

I had to take also for 1 year.

I was told it was a blood thinner but also because of the coated stent so it didn't clog up.

• Like 1

I remember the old days with Barclays when I was a one man heating business.They "lost" 3 of my cheques I paid in,adding up to £4500.I didn't know until a week later when I got an overdrawn letter with charges.When I complained ,the 3 cheques miraculously appeared, wedged under the till drawer,lol.

14 hours ago, Jennizor said:

Those tulips look like some new ones I plant this year. Gorgeous aren’t they.

7F02EAD2-7BA1-4A80-9E51-204B0421BFCE.jpeg

Fabulous tulips but it was the lovely cat that caught my eye.  I really miss having cats (our last pair of litter sisters made it to 20) but it would be difficult now because of our travels and location. One day maybe!  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Fabulous tulips but it was the lovely cat that caught my eye.  I really miss having cats (our last pair of litter sisters made it to 20) but it would be difficult now because of our travels and location. One day maybe!  

I have always had a cat in my life, sometimes more than one. I lost Cassie in December 21 while on a Caribbean cruise. I said I wouldn’t have any more as it was heartbreaking to lose her. My daughter in a Veterinary nurse and we always had rescue cats. Despite me saying I couldn’t cope with the heartbreak of losing another cat, she persuaded me to have this one. She was brought into the surgery to be put down after she had been hit by a motorcycle. They never put down a healthy cat, so they repaired her fractured pelvis and she came to me. She is called Evie and is a delight.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Just 10 more days to go before the single and one double (or similar)  stents go in.  The strange thing is that the totally blocked leg artery I cant feel unless I walk a bit too much  but the part blocked one is uncomfortable.  Have to go to London tomorrow for tests.  My wonderful Son in Law was taking us but he is on call, so we are going up by train.

On the day I was hoping I would be awake but the paperwork says a general.  I might try to persuade the anaesthetist but of course he knows best.  I just hope he is as handsome as the surgeon!🤣😇   

Edited by indiana123
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Just 10 more days to go before the single and one double (or similar)  stents go in.  The strange thing is that the totally blocked leg artery I cant feel unless I walk a bit too much  but the part blocked one is uncomfortable.  Have to go to London tomorrow for tests.  My wonderful Son in Law was taking us but he is on call, so we are going up by train.

On the day I was hoping I would be awake but the paperwork says a general.  I might try to persuade the anaesthetist but of course he knows best.  I just hope he is as handsome as the surgeon!🤣😇   

Good luck with the angioplasty and stent fittings.

I was awake and watched the screen as the angioplasty with 1 stent fitted was performed on me 2 days after my minor heart attack.

12 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

I have always had a cat in my life, sometimes more than one. I lost Cassie in December 21 while on a Caribbean cruise. I said I wouldn’t have any more as it was heartbreaking to lose her. My daughter in a Veterinary nurse and we always had rescue cats. Despite me saying I couldn’t cope with the heartbreak of losing another cat, she persuaded me to have this one. She was brought into the surgery to be put down after she had been hit by a motorcycle. They never put down a healthy cat, so they repaired her fractured pelvis and she came to me. She is called Evie and is a delight.

That’s a lovely outcome for the unfortunate Evie.  We too always had at least one cat but usually two and always rescue ones, but I’ve always longed for a Persian blue.  Despite that, I know if we do go for another cat, it will be another rescue and old; I doubt I have another 20 years left to look after kittens 😉

• Like 1

So did I during the heart attack, no choice, it was there on the screen in front of me.  These ones are in the legs.  Found entirely by chance.

As I think someone said on here, we have no idea what  is going on in our bodies.  Better not to know sometimes.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

As I think someone said on here, we have no idea what  is going on in our bodies.  Better not to know sometimes.

Said same sort of thing to the Mrs this morning as we did a random check on our BP

which was in the Goldilocks area .

How many out there think they are ok just because they have been nowhere near a 

Doctor in years . They would have a right shock ,if only they knew.

• Like 2

It would seem from Megabear's experiences that there are quite a few cabins which are very noisy at night, and that P and O know the situation perfectly well.  Presumably the ship was either badly designed, or built with insufficient sound damping.  Sadly, it looks as if you  need to choose a cabin, having studied the deck plans, and refuse to have it changed!  Easier said than done.

• Like 2