P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

25 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

From my IT contacts in Yorkshire, it would appear that there is a problem with the upgrade to its website which is affecting some customers.

There is a message on website acknowledging the issue with access. 

Having been involved with updates to websites in a larger bank than YBS, when there is an issue with an upgrade it is often very public. I feel for those in the Web Development Team trying to fix the issue, I have been there and the pressure from above is immense. 

IMG_1703.jpeg

They reinstated the old website today - temporarily.  

9 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Not surprised they are offloading a number of their restaurants, have been in a beefeater today, at lunchtime next to a motorway junction, besides the 2 of us there were precisely 5 other diners, there were more staff than people eating. The meal was excellent, although we have found it can vary significantly between locations. They are also suffering from supply issues, we were advised that 5 items were not available on the menu as they were not included in last 2 deliveries. 

The  Beafeater at Basingstoke where we eat on a regular basis is packed most nights.Weekend breakfast where kids eat free is very popular..Not impressed with Brewers Fayre where you have to queue up at bar to order and pay for food up front.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

If correct that as a brave thing to do, could have caused more problems than it solved

It shouldn't cause too many problems if during their testing phase of the new software they they have tested that rolling back will not cause problems.  That said I am not sure that Carnival IT ever "destruction" test their updates or include any of their end users in their testing.  When I was working we would involve a varied group of the people who would be using the updated systems, some managers would moan but they knew that their people would find things that we as software developers would never dream about.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

Last week I booked a few nights at Fort William PI (flexible rate) for September when the price without breakfast, was £200+ on some nights 😱.  I wonder how Fort William would be in December instead 😄.

Cold🥶😉

Avril

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Cold🥶😉

Avril

11 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

That'll teach me to read all the posts before replying😏

Avril

Someone just phoned me, sneezed and then hung up.😮

Don't you just hate cold callers.🙃

• Haha 14

I’m watching the procession in Edinburgh on TV and thankfully the weather is behaving well so far. Good job it wasn’t yesterday!

There has been some nice new music commissioned for the event so those waiting in St Giles are being well entertained. 

We even have our mouldy old stone back for the event for the first time in hundreds of years 😀. Was’t there for the late Queen.

So Charles now has the honours of Scotland, theoldest Crown Jewels in the U.K. and most of Europe. A new sword has been added as the old one is getting fragile, the new Elizabeth sword will get added to the crown etc now.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I’m watching the procession in Edinburgh on TV and thankfully the weather is behaving well so far. Good job it wasn’t yesterday!

There has been some nice new music commissioned for the event so those waiting in St Giles are being well entertained. 

We even have our mouldy old stone back for the event for the first time in hundreds of years 😀. Was’t there for the late Queen.

So Charles now has the honours of Scotland, theoldest Crown Jewels in the U.K. and most of Europe. A new sword has been added as the old one is getting fragile, the new Elizabeth sword will get added to the crown etc now.

Absolutely coincidentally, my daughter + family arrived in Edinburgh yesterday and they’ll be there somewhere. Came as a bit of a surprise last night!

Certainly not Royalists, but nice for the children to see. My granddaughter will, I’m certain, have been warned not to express her opinions too loudly! She’s 12, but highly political, and covered the front of the house in banners at the last election. Until she was told to remove them!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Absolutely coincidentally, my daughter + family arrived in Edinburgh yesterday and they’ll be there somewhere. Came as a bit of a surprise last night!

Certainly not Royalists, but nice for the children to see. My granddaughter will, I’m certain, have been warned not to express her opinions too loudly! She’s 12, but highly political, and covered the front of the house in banners at the last election. Until she was told to remove them!

At least there will be lots of pageantry for them to see.

Tell them to beware the 1 o’clock gun. Used to be my favourite part of the day when I worked in Edinburgh, watching the tourists jump when the gun went off.

The gun fire was originally a clock time check for the ships in Leith. They made it one o’clock as the traditional 12 guns at noon was more expensive (prudent Scots).

If they fancy a nice lunch tell them to try to book Fhior in the city centre. About £40 a head for lunch but really excellent food for the price. https://fhior.com

The Balmoral do a brilliant cocktail tasting (needs booked ahead).

I hope they enjoy their time up here.

Edited by Eglesbrech
Add link
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

At least there will be lots of pageantry for them to see.

Tell them to beware the 1 o’clock gun. Used to be my favourite part of the day when I worked in Edinburgh, watching the tourists jump when the gun went off.

The gun fire was originally a clock time check for the ships in Leith. They made it one o’clock as the traditional 12 guns at noon was more expensive (prudent Scots).

If they fancy a nice lunch tell them to try to book Fhior in the city centre. About £40 a head for lunch but really excellent food for the price. https://fhior.com

The Balmoral do a brilliant cocktail tasting (needs booked ahead).

I hope they enjoy their time up here.

Thanks so much for that!  Emailed accordingly.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Thanks so much for that!  Emailed accordingly.

Harry. They may be all planned up already but another nice place to eat is the Whisky society on Queens Street, they let non members into the restaurant (which not many people realise). Good food and excellent range of whisky by the glass.

https://smws.com/venues/28-queen-street-edinburgh

The Jonny Walker place on Princess Street is also great fun and not just for serious whisky drinkers, they do lovely cocktails as part of the tour or you can just book a table for the bar.

https://www.johnniewalker.com/en-gb/visit-us-princes-street/?gad=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvrX6ze33_wIVx9btCh2cAgttEAAYASAAEgK3b_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Im sure they will already know all about the Castle, Mary Kings close, Royal Yacht etc etc but a place that’s worth a quick look if on the High Street anyway is the supreme courts in the same square as St Giles, members of the public can get into see the hall (unless there is a security alert) which was the original parliament of Scotland. The stain glass is worth seeing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Harry. They may be all planned up already but another nice place to eat is the Whisky society on Queens Street, they let non members into the restaurant (which not many people realise). Good food and excellent range of whisky by the glass.

https://smws.com/venues/28-queen-street-edinburgh

The Jonny Walker place on Princess Street is also great fun and not just for serious whisky drinkers, they do lovely cocktails as part of the tour or you can just book a table for the bar.

https://www.johnniewalker.com/en-gb/visit-us-princes-street/?gad=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvrX6ze33_wIVx9btCh2cAgttEAAYASAAEgK3b_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Im sure they will already know all about the Castle, Mary Kings close, Royal Yacht etc etc but a place that’s worth a quick look if on the High Street anyway is the supreme courts in the same square as St Giles, members of the public can get into see the hall (unless there is a security alert) which was the original parliament of Scotland. The stain glass is worth seeing.

Thanks again.  Forwarded!  Not sure about the children and whisky though!

14 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Thanks again.  Forwarded!  Not sure about the children and whisky though!

Start them young! Never too young to acquire a taste for whisky.

On the other hand they may prefer the Museum of Childhood on the Royal mile 

https://www.edinburghmuseums.org.uk/venue/museum-childhood

All public museums are free entry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Start them young! Never too young to acquire a taste for whisky.

On the other hand they may prefer the Museum of Childhood on the Royal mile 

https://www.edinburghmuseums.org.uk/venue/museum-childhood

All public museums are free entry.

Fair point about the whisky!  Which reminds me of having to drag our son, aged about 6, out of an Amsterdam sex shop he'd dived into.  We used to go every year from Boxing Day to the New Year to escape family 'commitments'.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Fair point about the whisky!  Which reminds me of having to drag our son, aged about 6, out of an Amsterdam sex shop he'd dived into.  We used to go every year from Boxing Day to the New Year to escape family 'commitments'.

Did he ask you to buy him one of those rockets😊

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Did he ask you to buy him one of those rockets😊

I don’t think rockets were greatly in evidence at that time in that particular shop. I think he just thought it was a slightly unusual branch of WH Smith, concentrating rather more on magazines than pencil cases!

• Haha 3

I have returned my niece's daughter home and I am exhausted.  She stayed with us last night because her school was closed for her year today due to the teachers strike.  I definitely don't know how anyone manages to survive with teenagers, she isn't officially a teenager until next week but I think that she thinks that she is already about 18.  She wanted to go out for breakfast but didn't surface until almost 11am then moaned because DH said that it was too late to go for breakfast so we would take her for lunch instead.  When we got home after lunch she wanted a rubbish film on Netflix. I have spent most of the afternoon teaching her how to do cross stitch while the film was on in the background.

I was relieved when my niece rang to say that she was now home from having her intravenous chemo treatment so I could take her daughter home.  A large glass of two of wine is definitely in order now.

• Like 16
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

I definitely don't know how anyone manages to survive with teenagers

Strange, my good pal and I were only talking about this last night.  Mine were teenagers first then hers followed and we helped each other out.

I definitely would not want to deal with teenagers now.  It was bad enough then, and ours weren't too bad

• Like 4