P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Jack & Bobby were indeed brothers, maybe Jane meant first different sex siblings? Their uncle was Jackie Milburn very much a footballing family. Had women’s football been around at that time I suspect Cissy (Jack and Bobbys mum) would have been a pioneer.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Grandad John said:

Jack & Bobby were indeed brothers, maybe Jane meant first different sex siblings? Their uncle was Jackie Milburn very much a footballing family. Had women’s football been around at that time I suspect Cissy (Jack and Bobbys mum) would have been a pioneer.

I did mean first different sex siblings John - but forgot to include that important point. Also the James's play for the same club team ( for now anyway) so two firsts. 

My father, coming from the North East, had loads of stories about "wor Jackie" and what a great player he was. Cissy Charlton must have been the proudest mum ever in those days - no chance of not loving football with her family's pedigree.  Jane xx

• Like 4

Took a shopping trip up to Tesco this afternoon and was surprised at the amount of empty shelves.

Good job I did go the rain has arrived and it's torrential and forecast to last all day tomorrow too. We've  had  two weather warnings added for tomorrow as well, one for heavy rain and the other for thunderstorms with hail. I seems as though we've had summer for this year. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Beckett said:

Final score: China 1 England 6 and extremely enjoyable.

Just a bit of totally useless information for you: Lauren and Reece James both play for Chelsea and are the first ever siblings to both play for England. There must be a very proud mum out there today. Right, enough of my football commentary. I'm off out for another walk with Ted. Forecast for tomorrow is pretty grim re dog walking so extra walks today. Bye for now. Jane xx

I watched the match too and found the football excellent.

• Like 3

Awake again at 3 - serves me right for boasting that I sleep better nowadays, which most nights I do. 

Although not at all a football fan, I admit to being thrilled about the Lionesses'  progress, and hope it continues.  And still thrilled about the Test matches.  It makes up for the current boredom in Formula 1, which I used to enjoy, as it is just too predicable, and sadly I can't take to Verstappen at all.  I suppose showing an interest in the personalities is perhaps a bit of a 'woman' thing?

• Like 9

50 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Awake again at 3 - serves me right for boasting that I sleep better nowadays, which most nights I do. 

Although not at all a football fan, I admit to being thrilled about the Lionesses'  progress, and hope it continues.  And still thrilled about the Test matches.  It makes up for the current boredom in Formula 1, which I used to enjoy, as it is just too predicable, and sadly I can't take to Verstappen at all.  I suppose showing an interest in the personalities is perhaps a bit of a 'woman' thing?

I have been awake since 2.30 ☹️

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

5am for me @lincslady so later than you. Maybe your 3am was just a blip? I tend to have good and bad nights now. Sometimes I get a full 7 hours but other nights I'm lucky to get 3. 

I'm so glad you’re enjoying all the sport. I too have enjoyed the Test matches and I'm an avid football fan. I do so agree about F1 though. I still watch but without the excitement and anticipation of past years. I wonder if you're right about personalities being a "woman thing". I can't take to Verstappen either - he just doesn't do it for me.

As I'm up early I thought I'd go for an early walk with the dog but he's still asleep! Actually scrub that because it's just started raining quite heavily. Have a good day. Jane xx

• Like 9

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

I take it you wont be putting his poster next to your Boris Becker poster😊.

• Haha 3

A bit damp this morning out there  and I guess more of it to come today.

As for Yorkshire only having three ridings, I guess it's because the best things

come in three's anyway but we had to change to NSEW compass bearings,

ready for the invention of the Sat Nav ,for people who came to visit us.

Really we have always been advanced and ready for the future !

Back in 1969 a Cornish geologist  found after digging 20ft down, copper wire

and he posted in the Cornish weekly that "he believed it to be part of an ancient

telephone system, proving 1,000 of years ago they had telephones.

A few years later a similar study was done in Lancashire but they had to dig 

down 30 ft and a group of geologists wrote in the Red Rose weekly that ...

" Had also found what they  believed it to be part of an ancient telephone system,

proving 1,000 of years ago they also  had telephones in Lancashire ."

Years passed and in 2020 a Yorkshire miner who had taken up geology after 

the pit closures dug down over 1000 ft but in his words found "Nowt/Naff all"

He then wrote in Yorkshire Weekly " That there could only be one explanation

and that was Yorkshire, over a 1,000 years ago  had gone onto wireless telephones ! "

Have a good day 🙂

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 12

29 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I take it you wont be putting his poster next to your Boris Becker poster😊.

No, sadly one of the most unappealing characters I have had to endure over Wimbledon in recent years, not helped by his unattractive appearance.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, kalos said:

A bit damp this morning out there  and I guess more of it to come today.

"A bit damp" - our Teddy has just been in the garden for a couple of minutes and has come back in wetter than if he'd stood under our shower! 😉

We noticed early last week that he was doing an occasional skip with his left rear leg when walking, as if something was bothering him. Sadly the vet has said that he has a slight ligament tear so he is grounded for 3 weeks. He is used to 3 walks a day (usually in the park and woods) and is clearly missing it. Every time I close my laptop or someone says "Right...." he jumps up thinking it's time to go.

He is due to stay with pet carers from Saturday for 2 weeks but the good news is that they have experience of looking after other dogs with similar injuries so we know that they will take good care of him. He already goes there once a week just for familiarity and will be staying over in their house so it's the best we can do for him while we are away. We'll still feel really guilty when we drop him off though!

IMG_3373.jpg

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 16

23 minutes ago, DamianG said:

"A bit damp" - our Teddy has just been in the garden for a couple of minutes and has come back in wetter than if he'd stood under our shower! 😉

We noticed early last week that he was doing an occasional skip with his left rear leg when walking, as if something was bothering him. Sadly the vet has said that he has a slight ligament tear so he is grounded for 3 weeks. He is used to 3 walks a day (usually in the park and woods) and is clearly missing it. Every time I close my laptop or someone says "Right...." he jumps up thinking it's time to go.

He is due to stay with pet carers from Saturday for 2 weeks but the good news is that they have experience of looking after other dogs with similar injuries so we know that they will take good care of him. He already goes there once a week just for familiarity and will be staying over in their house so it's the best we can do for him while we are away. We'll still feel really guilty when we drop him off though!

IMG_3373.jpg

Hope your doggie recovers quickly and can start enjoying his walks again

Michelle

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lincslady said:

I used to enjoy watching football and F1, but lost interest years ago when good, healthy sporstmanship disappeared and the money loving, win at all costs divas arrived. 

Avril

• Like 5