P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

On 8/10/2023 at 6:43 AM, Peanut006 said:

Morning everyone, hope you are ok today. Looks like it’s going to be a warm sunny day here today. 

It was nice yesterday too. I was in St Annes and on a Weds they have Sounds in the Square with a different singer each week, people were up dancing, it was lovely.

I also saw my oncologist again yesterday, after checking my histology results and mammogram again they have decided I don’t need any further treatment except yearly mammogram’s for five years to keep an eye on me. I am very relieved with that.

Have a good day everyone 

Michelle

Sorry Michelle, not been on CC for a couple of days and only just seen your post. It’s great news for you.

Jennizor

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Feeling sorry for myself as I’m currently in pain.

Root canal this morning and an hour at the dentist, needs must (and a hefty bill to pay as private with a new crown to replace the broken tooth). They would extract a tooth for free but any sort of preservation costs.

Drove home via the pharmacy for pain relief as the nerves were jangling and pain increasing as the anaesthetic wore off. Had money out ready to pay however in direct opposition to the situation for dental treatment the strong pain killers were “free” as I was in “current” pain. So not only is my excessively, eye wateringly, increasing every single year tax paying for “free” prescriptions it’s now also covering “free” pain killers that one can easily and cheaply buy over the counter!

The world has gone mad (or at least it has north of the border!).

I am rubbing whisky on my gums as well as the pain killers are not as yet having much effect.. it may not help but at least it tastes better than the current horrible taste.

Moan over!

Wish you better soon Eglesbrech- root canal feels like a trauma to all the senses. Look after yourself. Jane xx

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Root canal this morning and an hour at the dentist, needs must (and a hefty bill to pay as private with a new crown to replace the broken tooth). They would extract a tooth for free but any sort of preservation costs.

Drove home via the pharmacy for pain relief as the nerves were jangling and pain increasing as the anaesthetic wore off. Had money out ready to pay however in direct opposition to the situation for dental treatment the strong pain killers were “free” as I was in “current” pain. So not only is my excessively, eye wateringly, increasing every single year tax paying for “free” prescriptions it’s now also covering “free” pain killers that one can easily and cheaply buy over the counter!

I am rubbing whisky on my gums as well as the pain killers are not as yet having much effect.. it may not help but at least it tastes better than the current horrible taste.

Moan over!

I feel for you, I had one done a number of years ago, I wouldn’t be rushing back for another.

Hope the pain eases for you

Michelle

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Annual prescriptions are fine if you have regular medication of a certain number of items regularly. They won't help someone like the man I saw yesterday who had four items for a one off prescription. I listened to the chemist trying to advise.

Ss a very wise man once said the only certainty in life is death and taxes!

I’m not going to get into the whys or where fore’s on here as that is not allowed on Cc..

All I will say is that there is a huge degree of utter ignorance about just how much extra tax is paid for what is  deemed “free”, like prescriptions up here.

I very recently (2 weeks ago) had this discussion with a very nice couple on a cruise ship. They did not have a clue how much extra all the “freebies” actually cost the average Scottish tax payer - prescriptions, further education,  child care, best start grant, baby boxes etc etc.

There are taxes, then there are Scottish taxes. A bit like Marks and Spencer food 😀

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I’m not going to get into the whys or where fore’s on here as that is not allowed on Cc..

All I will say is that there is a huge degree of utter ignorance about just how much extra tax is paid for what is  deemed “free”, like prescriptions up here.

I very recently (2 weeks ago) had this discussion with a very nice couple on a cruise ship. They did not have a clue how much extra all the “freebies” actually cost the average Scottish tax payer - prescriptions, further education,  child care, best start grant, baby boxes etc etc.

There are taxes, then there are Scottish taxes. A bit like Marks and Spencer food 😀

I didn't even know you got free prescriptions in Scotland to be truthful.  Not having any connection to Scotland I just assume that like everyone in the world you just have to live with what government decrees.  I know Wales gets free prescriptions as I have relatives there and at one point we thought we may be living there too.  No offence was intended, I am sympathetic to anyone paying dentist fees. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I didn't even know you got free prescriptions in Scotland to be truthful.  Not having any connection to Scotland I just assume that like everyone in the world you just have to live with what government decrees.  I know Wales gets free prescriptions as I have relatives there and at one point we thought we may be living there too.  No offence was intended, I am sympathetic to anyone paying dentist fees. 

I absolutely don’t expect you personally to know that Megabear, why indeed would you, so no offence taken.

I just get really fed up with the fact that all the Scottish “ freebies” get quoted all the time but not the 54pence in the pound marginal tax rate starting at 43k (50k in the rest of the U.K. and at 40p in the pound rate).

• Like 2

Just now, brian1 said:

We can get antibiotics over the counter in Italy for a few Euro.A similar one for animals is around 20 or 30 Euro.

My visit to the chemist yesterday was an interesting one.  Apart from the fact I take no medication myself I'd no actual idea how much an item cost as my OH is 66 and gets his free.  I was intrigued by the notice setting out the £9.65 per item cost as it stated in big bold letters that it is a Tax made by HM Government.  The last time I'd looked at one of these notices I could have sworn it said it was a contribution towards health care costs. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Moan over!

Sorry to hear you're in pain after your dental treatment, and hope you soon feel better.

• Thanks 1

Had a warning message on dashboard today that indicated one of the tyres was below the recommended pressure. Dropped by nearby garage to put some air and noticed it now cost £1 for air, when I took my wife’s car there a couple of months ago it was 20p. The have had a new machine which takes contactless payment, I know many things have gone up price, but 20p to a £ is inflationary (excuse the accidental pun) Anyway didn’t use it nipped to Sainsbury’s where their air is only 20p. 

• Like 7

It’s not called dental surgery for nothing. Hope all is well with you now and the gap is healing properly (dry socket is a horrible thing!)

So far so good and I hope as I’m 8 days after extraction the worst is over (until I have to have implants done).

Look after yourself.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Indeed - life is very pleasant up here for tee total students who use public transport!   It also helps if they are allergic to sunshine😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I absolutely don’t expect you personally to know that Megabear, why indeed would you, so no offence taken.

I just get really fed up with the fact that all the Scottish “ freebies” get quoted all the time but not the 54pence in the pound marginal tax rate starting at 43k (50k in the rest of the U.K. and at 40p in the pound rate).

Presumably the SNP  are wanting to get you used to the even higher taxes they will need when they gain independence.😉😇

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

My visit to the chemist yesterday was an interesting one.  Apart from the fact I take no medication myself I'd no actual idea how much an item cost as my OH is 66 and gets his free.  I was intrigued by the notice setting out the £9.65 per item cost as it stated in big bold letters that it is a Tax made by HM Government.  The last time I'd looked at one of these notices I could have sworn it said it was a contribution towards health care costs. 

I always remember,a few days after my 60th birthday.I walked into the chemist for my repeat Statins,debit card inhand.No need for that anymore she said.Pleasant surprise.

• Like 7

Morning 15.c bright sunshine earlier but clouding over fast with a breeze building up.

Here comes the rain again as Annie Lennox  would say .

Think just about everyone will get some today .

For any of you who have been awake hours this morning , just remember ..

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much

sleep you could have  if you were able to ‘fall asleep right now.’”🙃

Have a good day !!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Another day of not summer as we are forecast rain, just for a change, this afternoon with strong winds

I've nothing excititng planned for my day, a trip to Tesco in a wee while, and as I made some strawberry jam yesterday I might make some scones to go with it.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

• Like 5

It was one of those crazy nights again.  They took some getting used to as I'm used to doing tihngs myself, but some I can't now.

Daughter, Husband, and clingons (aka grandkids and partners), arrive, two go up the fish van, the others pick up the other dining table from spare room and carry it through.  All I do is put plates and everything on kitchen top.  Eating is chaos with all the bits and pieces, then they all clear table and dishwasher is filled, 

THEN out come the silly, and sometimes non pc games.  Riots ensue!  The game that caused the most noise, believe it or not, was the old Connect 4 found in the shed.  Well the laughter carried on for an hour or so then like magic they lifted up the other table  and returned it where it came from, and still laughing they departed.

We came in and it was like no-one had been.  It was ridiculously tidy considering.🤣🙃

How times change.,. if my mother heard some of the funny comments and conversations with the grandkids I would have had a red bum for weeks!!!!!!!

When I think of all the planning in the old days when having guests, I now realise sometimes the impromptu casual ones are the best judging from the texts I had this morning. They are still laughing.

• Like 8

Another dull grey day here, I am expecting to get a good soaking this afternoon when we are bowling, this will be my last Saturday match for the season because I can't play next Saturday which will be the team's last match. 

Today should be fun, we are the away team but we are playing on our own green because we are playing our second team, they will be looking for revenge because when we played them early in the season all their players lost their individual games and we are currently top of the league so it would be good for them to beat us.

• Like 3

Has anyone renewed their passport recently if so how long did it take to get ii back ? 

I just thought to check DH's passport because I remembered that last time we renewed his was slightly later than mine and I discovered that his needs renewing before our next cruise according to P&O's website information which suggests that despite having over 4 months before expiry when we sail it is 2 days short of P&O requirement.  I am now wondering if it is worth paying extra to get it back more quickly.