P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, Peanut006 said:

Morning everyone, hope you are all ok today.

I am not looking forward to today, well I am but I’m not. Driving down to Southampton from Halifax ready to join Anthem tomorrow. Because we are taking four grandchildren plus my mobility scooter and luggage we need two cars so a long drive ahead.

We are staying at Elizabeth House Hotel where I have never stayed before leaving the cars at ABP parking.

Have a nice day everyone 

Michelle

Take care.

I hope you all have an amazing cruise.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/24/2023 at 7:55 PM, Eglesbrech said:

Feeling just a bit down today. I have lost my 3rd cousin in 3 months so another funeral to attend.

I am part of quite a large family but at the (relatively) younger end of the age scale so one by one I have seen the companions of my childhood, youth, adulthood and older age go. It brings one’s own mortality into very sharp focus.

Enjoy life folks, eat drink and be merry. Do what you love and tell those that you love that you do each and every day. 

My condolences, what a difficult time for you. Thank you for posting such a lovely reflection at the end of your message, it certainly resonates for me.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Morning all, thought I’d just check in. I’ve had an awful week, my Dad went into hospital last Sunday night and he came out Wednesday. Each day they said he’d be out that day and then it changed. Of course I then have to have my mum here and she has definitely deteriorated since last year.

Anyway I won’t bore you with the details but thought I’d pop in, have a good weekend all.

• Like 21

11 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Turn that bl00dy racket down was my mums favourite saying. 

My dad's usual comment was you'll all be deaf before you 20, my sister once replied "well we won't be able hear your grumbling then" so he got up and switched the TV off. We learned to ignore his comments after that.😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

Sorry to hear that, Sue - it is strange how sometimes you  can have a good week, and then a stinker.  If I am having a fairly good one, I start thinking about Thursday 'this is going to change'.  A bit of a pessimist I suppose.  Or maybe a realist; as we get older and wiser we realise that those good times always end up with a problem.  I hope things go better for you and your parents.

• Like 9

17 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Well have finished my epistle to PO 

43 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Good luck with yours, I'm about to compose mine to them about Arvia! 

The last time I heard that word used ,I'm sure it was in a cowboy film 🙃😉

images.jpg.078e2f5d62527a0958903acd3639b1c3.jpg

• Haha 11

22 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Morning all, thought I’d just check in. I’ve had an awful week, my Dad went into hospital last Sunday night and he came out Wednesday. Each day they said he’d be out that day and then it changed. Of course I then have to have my mum here and she has definitely deteriorated since last year.

Anyway I won’t bore you with the details but thought I’d pop in, have a good weekend all.

Keep your chin up Sue. It comes as a shock to us as our parents age because we're used to them being strong and in charge of things. I learned with both my parents that even as the body gets frail their inner strenght and determination is still there. 

I hope your Mum and Dad are both alright and look after yourself too.

Take care.x

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
missing word
  • Like 14

2 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

I like watching those too. I remember waiting for Thursday evenings and my mum and dad saying “what a noise, that’s not music” or “turn it down its too loud”

Michelle 

The problem is that even though I have similar memories from the 60s and early 70s, such phrases have gone through my head and possibly out of my mouth a generation later. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

Sorry to read this. I hope your Dad is recovering now and your Mum is alright.

Take care and don't forget to look after yourself too.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Sorry to hear about your parents and you difficult week. Hope things improve for you over the next few days and that your parents are ok

Michelle

• Like 7

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Sending you my prayers 🙏 for your dear mam and dad Sue.

It is hard work but rewarding looking after your dear parents.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

I am not looking forward to today, well I am but I’m not. Driving down to Southampton from Halifax ready to join Anthem tomorrow. Because we are taking four grandchildren plus my mobility scooter and luggage we need two cars so a long drive ahead.

We are staying at Elizabeth House Hotel where I have never stayed before leaving the cars at ABP parking.

Have a nice day everyone 

Michelle

Have a fantastic cruise Michelle and enjoy every bit of it with your grandchildren, your such a wonderful person taking your grandkids on a cruise, you truly deserve it with what you’ve been through, I know it’s tipping down here now and thundering but I’m sure you will have some sunshine soon .

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Hope all goes well for your dad sue and your mum , I feel for you it’s hard work we looked after my husband’s parents for 25 years, they moved down from Scotland to be with us down here in the south and it was hard work especially the last 8 years. Just make sure you look after yourself too .

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Have a nice day everyone 

Michelle

Enjoy your cruise with your grandchildren 😊

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Beckett said:

Sorry to hear you've got the dreaded unmentionable in the house Sarah and I hope your family don't suffer too much with it.  However, the main reason for my post today is to say you look totally gorgeous in the photos! Be well. Jane xx

Thank you. The pics are heavily smoothed out though ☺️

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Have a nice day everyone 

Michelle

I hope you have a good journey down to Southampton and a fantastic cruise with your grandchildren.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Sorry to read that Sue, I hope you manage to relax a bit this weekend.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Keep your chin up Sue. It comes as a shock to us as our parents age because we're used to them being strong and in charge of things. I learned with both my parents that even as the body gets frail their inner strenght and determination is still there. 

I hope your Mum and Dad are both alright and look after yourself too.

Take care.x

Avril

Absolutely Avril. My mum has Parkinsons and sometimes she doesn’t speak very clearly at all but I know her old spark is still in there! It’s so sad because she was always the driving force and my Dad more laid back. I’ve often thought it would have been easier if he had Parkinsons and she was ok (horrid as it sounds) because he is happy to sit there all day whereas Mum still wants to rush around, and then falls over.

• Like 12

As probably the oldest person who posts here,  I do think we change a bit as we get really old - more determined to keep going and in a way more selfish (particularly if you are on your own), which you do rather have to be so as not to give up!  I think my 'children' admire it in some ways, but of course also find it irritating at times.  They would probably prefer Mum to be more willing to be told what to do and more docile, therefore easier to help.  I have a feeling that you will all behave similarly given long enough!

• Like 12

9 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

It's lovely for those of you that have had your parents for many years. I lost my father when I was 11 and mother at 19.Never saw me marry, have children, their children or my career. That's life.

How awful for you, I’m sure your own children and grandchildren have been joyful for you.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

As probably the oldest person who posts here,  I do think we change a bit as we get really old - more determined to keep going and in a way more selfish (particularly if you are on your own), which you do rather have to be so as not to give up!  I think my 'children' admire it in some ways, but of course also find it irritating at times.  They would probably prefer Mum to be more willing to be told what to do and more docile, therefore easier to help.  I have a feeling that you will all behave similarly given long enough!

I know what you mean but she falls SO much and cuts her arms as her skin is so paper thin now. When I walked into her bedroom when she was staying the sheets were like a bloodbath as her plaster had come off in the night. She was so upset but I said at least I could wash the sheets and it wasn’t the carpet!

• Like 6