P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

39 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I love a discussion, and enjoy seeing people’s opinions whether or not I agree with them. 

However I’m aware that other people don’t share my enjoyment, and even think that discussions are arguments. I’ve come to the conclusion that, for the comfort of all users, this board is not the place for a real discussion. 

However, I would have liked to have openly given my experience of catching an illness on a cruise ship, rather than just making a few coy references to it.

If I’d caught Norovirus, i would have been confident that I could talk about it, but it wasn’t possible for the illness that I had.

And there, in a nutshell, you have hit on the main reason for my recent extended self-imposed absence, which it seemed inappropriate at the time to go into too deeply.  I agree with you entirely.

• Like 13

18 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I tried to get a shingles vaccination, thinking I qualified but no - I am too old!  Being over 75.  Seems a bit strange though no doubt the nhs has its reasons.   I had thought it was caught from someone with chickenpox, and I rarely mix with young children, but now find out you can just get it anyway, especially if you are  not in the best of health already.  I know a few people who have had it, some more than once, and it can be very painful.  And often followed life changing things, like being widowed, in my mother's case.

According to the NHS web site everyone between 70 and 79 is eligible for the shingles vaccine. 

I thought I would be eligible being 66 but only people who turned 65 after 1-09-23 qualify, I need to wait until I am 70. 

Edited by yorkshirephil
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

According to the NHS web site everyone between 70 and 79 is eligible for the shingles vaccine. I would chase it up. The advertising campaign for the lowering of the initial shingles was a bit misleading as it gave the impression that after the 1st September anyone over 65 could have the vaccine, the web site states:

From 1 September 2023, you're eligible for the shingles vaccine when you turn 65.

So I thought I qualified being 65 in 2022, but seemingly not as it states further down in the article;

If you turned 65 before 1 September 2023, you'll be eligible for the shingles vaccine when you turn 70.

I have posted about this a week or so ago. I think the advertising is misleading although the small print is quite clear. As I turned 65 a couple of years ago, thereby needing to wait until I am 70, I wonder what the rationale behind the seemingly illogical criteria is. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I have posted about this a week or so ago. I think the advertising is misleading although the small print is quite clear. As I turned 65 a couple of years ago, thereby needing to wait until I am 70, I wonder what the rationale behind the seemingly illogical criteria is. 

This might help. But then again……….

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/shingles-vaccination-programme

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

Well, this isn’t faceache - it’s just one ridiculously long-lasting thread, where no topic is off-limits, except …

Tipping, dress code, lift etiquette - discussions/opinions go round & round and harm no-one.  Should be the same with all topical subjects?

It's called " what are things like where you are ". That topic could go one for some time " If every day was the same, or the weather forecast every day was scorchio, just like yesterday. Is it ridiculous?. If you want  rediculous I was asked to review a draft FO advert. Now thats rediculous.🤣

• Like 1

I don’t understand the shingles jab logic either 🤔

However, you can easily get it done privately.  It cost me just over £100 when I got it, probably 10 years ago.  I wanted to protect myself before my granddaughter, who I cared for quite a lot of the time, inevitably caught chickenpox.

If I’d been refused now,  I think I’d make one more approach to my GP surgery.  Good luck

13 minutes ago, pete14 said:

It does seem a bit strange that someone born on 31st August 2023 has to wait until they are 70 whereas someone born the day after gets it at 65. In my mind prevention is better than cure so if it has been determined that the new shingles vaccine benefits over 65's then just give it to everyone over 65.

However after working in the pharma business for over 30 years the way some governments and regulatory bodies work not much surprises me. I will just have to avoid Chicken pox parties for a few more years.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

And there, in a nutshell, you have hit on the main reason for my recent extended self-imposed absence, which it seemed inappropriate at the time to go into too deeply.  I agree with you entirely.

I'm going to do what you did, and have a break, and like you say, it's not possible to actually give the proper reason.

Just to say I'm fine, and nobody needs to worry if they don't see any posts from me for a while! 

Cheerio for now

• Like 19

5 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I'm going to do what you did, and have a break, and like you say, it's not possible to actually give the proper reason.

Just to say I'm fine, and nobody needs to worry if they don't see any posts from me for a while! 

Cheerio for now

That's very sad, Dermotsgirl.  I've always enjoyed your posts, and always found them informative and helpful.  I think we both know exactly where we're coming from on this, though.

• Like 13

31 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Clear as mud!!!!  Fortunately we had our as we turned 70.

I was asked by my GP to book a shingles jab. Having worked a lifetime in the building materials industry, I had to have a think on that one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Car flew through test ,yet again, so can forget that for another 13 months .

Trying to make head or tail of earlier posts,think I can suss out.

Sorry to see you go, as you say for now Dermot's girl .

Keep browsing as I'm sure some topical ship diseases will crop up.

Like the old favourites ricketts, scurvy ,brought on by a lack of turn down chock's

at night😉.

Catch you laters 🙂

• Like 8

52 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Cheerio for now

I will look forward to reading your posts again in due course when you are ready

Michelle

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Cheerio for now

Hope it’s not for too long , please keep in touch now & again 

• Like 10

My Combi boiler has given up the ghost entirely. The heating last week when i tested for the winter and the hot water this morning. My Worcester Bosch engineer is on holiday until next week and suggested i contact him when he gets back. It is very old but luckily a direct replacement is available, hopefully he can fix it. I bought a heated throw in case it snows 🙂

My broadband contract ends next month and I can keep my existing FTTC connection for £10 per month more or upgrade to FTTP for the original price. The new router is arriving Saturday and Installation on Tuesday. A new fibre optic cable is needed and i hope to get them to move the 'modem' from the awkward porch into the lounge. Interesting the the traditional phone service will end in 2005 leaving the choice of fibre or mobile technology. BT and Openreach

New loft insulation needed and the electric shower wiring moved. More fun. I used to be able to juggle several balls at once but now i have difficulty with one. Must be an age thing 👨‍🦯 

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 7

9 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Wow Dave you do have a lot on your plate at the moment to organise, replacing new boilers is a big cost incurred at this time of year , hope it all goes well for you and everything falls into place in time .

Thanks - If a replacement is needed I can cancel a cruise next year, or just pay up. As my mother used to say. You can't take it with you, there are no pockets in a shroud.

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 8

9 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Thanks - If a replacement is needed I can cancel a cruise next year, or just pay up. As my mother used to say. You can't take it with you, there are no pockets in a shroud.

So sorry to hear about all your issues.

My boiler failed this time last year and I had to have a new one. Must admit the new one (Worcester Bosch) is far more efficient. 
These things always  break down at the wrong time, altho better now than in December!

I think your cruise next year may well be needed so fingers crossed there’s enough 💰 left…..

• Like 10

40 minutes ago, davecttr said:

My Combi boiler has given up the ghost entirely.

I feel your pain Dave ,a few weeks ago ,all was looking well , then ... 

One of our TV's broke down, followed quickly a fridge freezer dying on us .

Then Mrs K had a health scare .Then the 30 odd year boiler decided we had .

our moneys worth . On top of this our cruise was less than 2 weeks away .

It was a case of bite the bullet and dig deep into our pockets , once back home.

Sort me out with the C ,illness

The freezer was replaced immediately before going and a new boiler on our return .

Mrs K was medically sorted yesterday and today sort the car out with it's MOT.

Take a deep breath Dave, you will get there,we always do  🙂

• Like 23

4 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Cheerio for now

Take care.

I always enjoy your posts.

Graham 

• Like 7