P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Yes please, but not just yet - a bit early for that strong but delicious taste.

I' m still waking early too, in spite of the fact that something which has been stressing me out for  6 months has come to a just conclusion.  My  neighbours applied to extend their two storey house right up to my bungalow boundary and a few feet from my large sitting room window.  Even though it did contravene the planning rules about loss of light, the planners were going to nod it through as they try to tick boxes for extra bedrooms 'to help with the housing crisis'.  At the last minute my wonderful Councillor got them to agree to go to the Planning Committee, who roundly voted to refuse, and made mincemeat of the planners for being prepared to nod through something which broke their rules.  The stress, for someone who now lives alone and is at home most of the time, was enormous, and I can't stand injustice, so am just beginning to feel better about it , and I am afraid being delighted to have revenge on all the planners, including senior ones, who were there and told where they got off.  The neighbours are not nasty, just completely thoughtless and although well educated, the sort who just think a thing and want to have it.  Though I doubt if I can speak to them again.  As we are side by side, we don't see each other, though have been perfectly neighbourly though not friends until now.

Thanks for reading!

• Like 17

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

I' m still waking early too, in spite of the fact that something which has been stressing me out for  6 months has come to a just conclusion.  My  neighbours applied to extend their two storey house right up to my bungalow boundary and a few feet from my large sitting room window.  Even though it did contravene the planning rules about loss of light, the planners were going to nod it through as they try to tick boxes for extra bedrooms 'to help with the housing crisis'.  At the last minute my wonderful Councillor got them to agree to go to the Planning Committee, who roundly voted to refuse, and made mincemeat of the planners for being prepared to nod through something which broke their rules.  The stress, for someone who now lives alone and is at home most of the time, was enormous, and I can't stand injustice, so am just beginning to feel better about it , and I am afraid being delighted to have revenge on all the planners, including senior ones, who were there and told where they got off.  The neighbours are not nasty, just completely thoughtless and although well educated, the sort who just think a thing and want to have it.  Though I doubt if I can speak to them again.  As we are side by side, we don't see each other, though have been perfectly neighbourly though not friends until now.

Thanks for reading!

Congrats on victory LL.My mrs prefers Vegemite not quite so strong and has more flavour in her opinion.Me,I just like my Twiglets.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, zap99 said:

Is that midweek, or do they pay you more to stay at weekends ?.🤣

Never been there or Wales for that matter.All those run down dockside areas in loads of cities after being revamped have transformed those cities.I'll soon find out,lol.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

Thanks for reading!

Absolutely good news for you and I hope you get much better sleep at night now , don’t stress over not speaking to them anyway because they certainly didn’t stress over making your life a misery with their plans, the planners were probably friends or related to the neighbours trying it on it’s a who knows who situation, I’m pleased for your outcome.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for reading!

Congratulations, glad to hear that things have turned out well in your favour.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for reading!

Oh dear. That must have been very stressful. I generally find in life, it’s not normally not that people are nasty - it’s just a blinkered approach of  “I want and never mind how my actions affect others”.

Hopefully you can relax a bit now - but I do know how you feel 🙄

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Purdey - I am pretty sure there was not any foul play involved - although I had suspected it at first.  They never even thought about any others, I am convinced, otherwise they would have employed a local Agent who would have told them not to apply.  They foolishly went to a London outfit who never do visits, and do a cheap price for a basic job which is fine if there are no problems.  If there are, they want lots more money or don't reply apparently.  I looked them up online, which next door obviously didn't, to read some scathing reviews. Just common sense, to me - but some people are just dim.

• Like 11

Thanks for reading!

Too Many people have a similar attitude, I want and to hell with how it will impact others.

Well done.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 10/12/2023 at 4:41 PM, Ilovemygarden said:

Hope you enjoyed Athens - I’ll be there next week.   Is there a good deal with OBC whilst booking onboard?   I think it was triple the normal amount a couple of weeks ago. 

It seems to vary, we revoked a cruise and got triple OBC and 10% off but when we booked from the new brochure we got the same discount but only £200 extra OBC.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for reading!

Good morning LL.

More and more now, we are seeing thoughtless or inconsiderate individuals try to ride roughshod over another's rights. Well done for standing up for your rights and congratulations on  a well deserved victory.

As for the neighbours, I wouldn't worry. They were in the wrong and should have had the decency to apologise for all the stress they have caused you. 

If it's any consolation, you can always wonder how much money their attitude has cost them in the end.😇😉

Avril

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Sorry to change the subject, but which one of you lovely people was it that fell of your bike coming down from the Loen skylift? 

My BIL wants to do it, (without the falling off obvs) but can't see any info anywhere? 

Was it Purplesea maybe? 

Andy

No it wasn't me. I did go up the lift, but came back down in the lift.

I think the trip you are talking about was at Flam, where you can go up on the railway and can either hike or bike back down.

Pam

Thank you, Avril.  Yes, pleased that they were foolish enough to spend quite a lot on what they really thought they would win.  My Agent (a well qualified relation) did our  objection talk at the meeting, so met the Applicant, who had to do it herself, so I have a first hand opinion on her motives - she just bleated about wanting to have another baby and needing another bedroom, which does not cut much ice with a Planning Committee.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Sorry to change the subject, but which one of you lovely people was it that fell of your bike coming down from the Loen skylift? 

My BIL wants to do it, (without the falling off obvs) but can't see any info anywhere? 

Was it Purplesea maybe? 

Andy

Maybe @SarahHben

3 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Thank you, Avril.  Yes, pleased that they were foolish enough to spend quite a lot on what they really thought they would win.  My Agent (a well qualified relation) did our  objection talk at the meeting, so met the Applicant, who had to do it herself, so I have a first hand opinion on her motives - she just bleated about wanting to have another baby and needing another bedroom, which does not cut much ice with a Planning Committee.

Then she's needs to buy a larger house, instead of thoughtlessly making decisions that cause others stress and worry.

If that was their reason then they will most likely move anyway.

Avril

• Like 5

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

No it wasn't me. I did go up the lift, but came back down in the lift.

I think the trip you are talking about was at Flam, where you can go up on the railway and can either hike or bike back down.

Pam

Thanks Pam, that is probably why I can't find any info😂

Andy 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

Never been there or Wales for that matter.All those run down dockside areas in loads of cities after being revamped have transformed those cities.I'll soon find out,lol.

Have a lovely break. It must be about 200 miles for us. At 20mph that's.......a long time.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

They genuinely love their cottage, and it has 3 bedrooms so they do not need to move.  Plus they have always been very quiet, so in some ways I don't want them to go!  Could get noisy people who party or have barking dogs.   They should apologise, but are unlikely to, even though my relative told her how stressed I had been for 6 months.  

• Like 4

I went to bed last night feeling fine and woke up this morning feeling like I was dieing with a cold.  I texted my niece to let her know that I wouldn't be visiting her this afternoon in hospital and she said to take a covid test so I  have done that and sure enough it has come back positive so I am isolating again now.

Added :

The covid vaccine booster that I had 3 weeks ago has obviously done no good.

Edited by Josy1953

34 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I'm sure it wasn't Sarah. 

It seems I got the wrong port anyway, but it's bugging me who it was... 

Andy 

See this link post number 46669 and 46629 on previous page. I think the @Purdey16 is the person you want. 
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2742831-po-cruisers-what-are-things-like-where-you-are/page/1867/#comment-65530868

Edited by Gettingwarmer

15 minutes ago, lincslady said:

They genuinely love their cottage, and it has 3 bedrooms so they do not need to move.  Plus they have always been very quiet, so in some ways I don't want them to go!  Could get noisy people who party or have barking dogs.   They should apologise, but are unlikely to, even though my relative told her how stressed I had been for 6 months.  

We have a 3 bedroom house, we had one, the 2 girls shared and our boy had the 3rd. I don't see a problem🤔 

Avril

4 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

See this link post number 46669 and 46629 on previous page. I think the @Purdey16 is the person you want. 
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2742831-po-cruisers-what-are-things-like-where-you-are/page/1867/#comment-65530868

Aah, thank you so much, it was Purdey. 

Andy 

• Like 1