P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

8 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I hope you are feeling a lot better now Gill.

Graham x

Yes, I am feeling much better - thank you for asking, Graham.

I’m having the weekend at home and then back to normality on Monday 🤞

Gill x

Edited by Angel57
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@P&O SUE "Warm, safe, and well" were the words my brother and I used time and time again after our mum went into a care home. We both felt a degree of guilt and, I suppose, abandonment when she first went in, but knowing we no longer had to worry about falls and wanderings was such a relief. The care home wasn't perfect - what is - but she was happy there. The staff were true carers and we felt we had done the right thing.

You have had a nightmare last few months Sue and the care of your parents seems to have been largely on you. See this next stage of your mum's life for what it is - a kindness to protect her safety. She will meet new friends, enjoy entertainments, and be stimulated by all sorts of new company. You are absolutely doing the right thing.

Best wishes.  Jane xx

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Morning all,

Hope everyone is well.

Wish the weather would make up it's mind what it is doing, it was supposed to be dry yesterday, but I had to bring the washing in as it was drizzly, and today looks the same.

Busy day as I've got a hospital appointment in Truro for a MRI, so as I am up there I'll take the bus down into the town and, hopefully, get the last few Christmas presents. I'm not looking forward to driving up or going into town as I expect it will be very busy at the time I need to go. Oh, well we'll see.

When I get back I need to get some baking done as the children (all adults, although they still act like children, when they are together🙄) are coming round tomorrow to exchange their secret santa gifts.

Hope everyone has an enjoyable weekend.

• Like 9

Good morning all.

I hope you're all well and @Peanut006 I hope the move went well yesterday Michelle. It's such a massive disruption and just before Christmas - brave! I wish you good health and much happiness in your new home.

I'm having a take- away with a few friends at mine tonight and we're going to watch the Strictly final together. I'm so looking forward to it.

Have you all just started to eat a wee bit too much in the run up to Christmas? I have for sure - every coffee I've had, alone or with friends, seems to have been accompanied by a mince pie!

Have a great weekend everyone. Best wishes.  Jane xx

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Anice morning here.  I decidedi that I would drag the carpet cleaner out and clean the lounge carpet so that it will be completely dry  before we get the Christmas tree out next weekend.  It was a big mistake because I was almost finished and topped the machine up once more with cleaning fluid but when I tried to restart it was dead.  My attempts to find the problem resulted in the kitchen floor being flooded.  I woke DH and he came to look at the problem, changed the fuse but still no joy.  He then noticed that the clock on the microwave and cooker were both off  he checked the fuse box and sure enough it was just a switch that need resetting.  He is not happy but the carpets are spotless. :classic_smile:

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Good morning all.

I hope you're all well and @Peanut006 I hope the move went well yesterday Michelle. It's such a massive disruption and just before Christmas - brave! I wish you good health and much happiness in your new home.

I'm having a take- away with a few friends at mine tonight and we're going to watch the Strictly final together. I'm so looking forward to it.

Have you all just started to eat a wee bit too much in the run up to Christmas? I have for sure - every coffee I've had, alone or with friends, seems to have been accompanied by a mince pie!

Have a great weekend everyone. Best wishes.  Jane xx

The move went fine but it was very tiring. The removal men worked so hard, taking some into storage and taking some to our new house. Our Airbnb is fabulous, better than we could have hoped. The skip arrived at the new house this morning and the boiler is been moved today. 

Takeaway for us tonight too along with watching the strictly final. 

Have a good weekend everyone 

Michelle

• Like 19

A lovely morning here, after last night's sunset we have a stunning sunrise, the sky is so red and very mild at 11oC. Our usual jaunt into Barnsley for breakfast and a bit of shopping, it was certainly busier than usual so I hate to think what it will be like next Saturday when people need to shop for a months supply of food. Have a nice weekend whatever you do.

• Like 12

Morning pleased to read Gill is on the mend and Michelle move has gone smoothly .

We spent yesterday dropping a few gifts off at some of our family and will do the rest next week sometime.

Mrs K had a lens drop out of her reading glasses ,so we also went into town to the opticians 

where she got them fixed . The town was so quiet ,as we looked up the high street we saw one person and as we made our way into the indoor market ,some stalls were closed .

The outdoor market was closed for refurbishment  and some stalls relocated to a nearby street but it was not the same,the buzz was not there.

Had to drop into the town centre Tesco to get my HP low sugar salt sauce ,as they are the only ones that do it .We soon found out where everyone was as Tesco was packed with people .

We were saying that we wish we could go back to when we had our stores like Woolies, C&A  and good old British Home stores . Do you have any shops that you miss ?

Have a good day 🙂

• Like 8

Help please, all you Warner officianados!  Looking at the Somerset Cricket St Thomas hotel as a Christmas present for my two very dear friends who are aged 74 and 76. The lady has unfortunately been very poorly this year with a mystery illness the hospital are unable to track down.  I picked it as somewhere relatively easy to get to by train from here - direct train to Crewkerne apparently. I believe it's a short taxi from there but does anyone have any idea?

Also the packages seem to offer b&b, entertainment etc. As they will most likely just wander the grounds is it possible to buy other snacks, lunch etc on site? 

I have a choice of 4 day breaks, one of them seems to include a day out to Lyme Regis if I'm reading it right, if so does anyone know do Warners provide the transport?

I can see 2 headline acts mentioned which is great, what happens on the other nights, ie is there entertainment or anything?

Basically if anyone can offer information I'd be much obliged.  I hope it will be something they can look forward to later in the year. They are pretty easy to please, not ones for posh just something nice, do you think it might suit?

Thank you all.

15 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Help please, all you Warner officianados!  Looking at the Somerset Cricket St Thomas hotel as a Christmas present for my two very dear friends who are aged 74 and 76. The lady has unfortunately been very poorly this year with a mystery illness the hospital are unable to track down.  I picked it as somewhere relatively easy to get to by train from here - direct train to Crewkerne apparently. I believe it's a short taxi from there but does anyone have any idea?

Also the packages seem to offer b&b, entertainment etc. As they will most likely just wander the grounds is it possible to buy other snacks, lunch etc on site? 

I have a choice of 4 day breaks, one of them seems to include a day out to Lyme Regis if I'm reading it right, if so does anyone know do Warners provide the transport?

I can see 2 headline acts mentioned which is great, what happens on the other nights, ie is there entertainment or anything?

Basically if anyone can offer information I'd be much obliged.  I hope it will be something they can look forward to later in the year. They are pretty easy to please, not ones for posh just something nice, do you think it might suit?

Thank you all.

Warner usually do half board as the package. They will be able to buy snacks, afternoon tea etc. on site.

There are activities offered during the day. Entertainment is provided by entertainment team or acts.

Excursions are usually available to local attractions.

I think this would be an excellent gift for your friends and they would really enjoy it 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Thank you all.

That’s exactly what we are doing for the

in-laws for their Christmas present. We are taking them to Nidd Hall in Harrogate next Weds.

It is only our second Warner break but last time everything was really good, the room, the food, the entertainment, the spa and pool and the service. I am sure they would love it

Michelle

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Thank you all.

Cricket is our favourite Warners. It's about 5-6 miles from Crewkerne Station. We haven't arrived that way, but I would suggest booking a taxi in advance would be a good idea. Meals are breakfast and dinner. Lunch in the old house,  or in the main complex. All pretty good, a mix of buffet and table service. Apart from the ' brought in ' entertainment, the house entertainers are....entertaining . Grounds are nice and any excursions will include transport. We have stayed there half a dozen times. If they are getting on a bit, the walled garden area is a bit of a trek to the restaurant and entertainment theatre. We will be there again in February, unless Azura temps us again.

Edited by zap99
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Thank you all.

We went to Cricket back in May, and really enjoyed it.

Crewkerne is about 6 miles away so it should be an easy taxi ride.

The accommodation is quite spread out - we were in the walled garden area, and it was a fair hike to the dining, bars and entertainment, but mostly under cover. If walking is any problem I’d suggest looking at the site plan, and selecting a specific room closer to the amenities - this costs an extra ( I think) £30.

Breakfast, dinner and entertainment is all included. There’s usually a Warner’s Production Show one night and other nights are visiting entertainers, many names I recognise from the cruise ships. There’s also day time entertainment, if required

The grounds are extensive, both gardens and woodlands. Our room was a bit ‘tired’ but perfectly serviceable and clean.

We did the Lyme Regis coach trip, which also visited West Bay. The coach went from outside reception at 10am and we got back at about 5pm.  Mid-week breaks are very much the 60+ retired crowd, with the weekend breaks being a bit more lively, with guests aged 40+

Lunch can be bought  at the hotel, but it’s very much hotel pricing, and same goes for drinks. A small glass of wine cost about £10

We’d go to Cricket again, and I’d recommend it to others 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peanut006 said:

That’s exactly what we are doing for the

in-laws for their Christmas present. We are taking them to Nidd Hall in Harrogate next Weds.

It is only our second Warner break but last time everything was really good, the room, the food, the entertainment, the spa and pool and the service. I am sure they would love it

Michelle

We’re going to Nidd in May, so will be interested to hear what you think of it 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Morning pleased to read Gill is on the mend and Michelle move has gone smoothly .

We spent yesterday dropping a few gifts off at some of our family and will do the rest next week sometime.

Mrs K had a lens drop out of her reading glasses ,so we also went into town to the opticians 

where she got them fixed . The town was so quiet ,as we looked up the high street we saw one person and as we made our way into the indoor market ,some stalls were closed .

The outdoor market was closed for refurbishment  and some stalls relocated to a nearby street but it was not the same,the buzz was not there.

Had to drop into the town centre Tesco to get my HP low sugar salt sauce ,as they are the only ones that do it .We soon found out where everyone was as Tesco was packed with people .

We were saying that we wish we could go back to when we had our stores like Woolies, C&A  and good old British Home stores . Do you have any shops that you miss ?

Have a good day 🙂

Hi Kalos

Yes, but mine are London-based so won't mean much to a lot of friends on here:

BHS in Wood Green, North London, when it was still a safe place to go, and where my wonderful nan used to take me on a Saturday for lunch in their cafe.

Dickins and Jones in Regent Street - an upmarket department store that I used to go in and pretend I had money.

Kensington Market in High Street, Ken, which was full of little stalls selling all kinds of weird and wonderful paraphenalia like old army great coats, suede fringed jackets, Doc Martens, hand-beaded bags, records - and everything the self- respecting hippy could possibly want. It stank of joss sticks, patchouli oil and other probably illegal substances but I always left there feeling very happy!

Thanks for the memories Kalos.  Jane xx

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Cricket is our favourite Warners. It's about 5-6 miles from Crewkerne Station. We haven't arrived that way, but I would suggest booking a taxi in advance would be a good idea. Meals are breakfast and dinner. Lunch in the old house,  or in the main complex. All pretty good, a mix of buffet and table service. Apart from the ' brought in ' entertainment, the house entertainers are....entertaining . Grounds are nice and any excursions will include transport. We have stayed there half a dozen times. If they are getting on a bit, the walled garden area is a bit of a trek to the restaurant and entertainment theatre. We will be there again in February, unless Azura temps us again.

In Tenerife airport just now waiting for return flight from said Azura.  Back in February too!

Edited by Ilovemygarden
  • Like 2

Hi Kalos

Yes, but mine are London-based so won't mean much to a lot of friends on here:

BHS in Wood Green, North London, when it was still a safe place to go, and where my wonderful nan used to take me on a Saturday for lunch in their cafe.

Dickins and Jones in Regent Street - an upmarket department store that I used to go in and pretend I had money.

Kensington Market in High Street, Ken, which was full of little stalls selling all kinds of weird and wonderful paraphenalia like old army great coats, suede fringed jackets, Doc Martens, hand-beaded bags, records - and everything the self- respecting hippy could possibly want. It stank of joss sticks, patchouli oil and other probably illegal substances but I always left there feeling very happy!

Thanks for the memories Kalos.  Jane xx

All great places, Jane (not sure about the BHS, but they did at the time do an excellent Pick and Mix, at least in Plymouth and Ipswich!) but understandably for you, all north of the river! No mention of Brixton Market or Borough Market - before they went posh!

I was living in one of the best and most expensive roads in Clapham, just off the Common - before that went posh too. £4.50 a week for a bedsit, complete with built in mice. £5m now, that house - maybe £50,000 in 1970, scruffy and split into at least a dozen bedsits. Branches of John Lewis in nearby Streatham and Brixton (Pratts and Bon Marché) were the places we used to dream about one day owning furniture.

I bet we both ended up on King’s Road Chelsea from time to time though.  😉

• Like 3

Kensington Market in High Street, Ken, which was full of little stalls selling all kinds of weird and wonderful paraphenalia 

I went to Greenwich Market by coach the other day. Strange things for sale there too.

One lady as selling dangly earrings made of small pieces of broken crockery.  Both sides similar but not quite the same.   OH bought me two pairs for my birthday as I loved them.  Quirky but fun!

• Like 3