P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

6 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Here's some more pictures in no particular order:

(And for once I paid for a room with a balcony!!)

It was some balcony and some view!!

IMG-20240120-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20240120-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20240120-WA0032.jpg

IMG-20240120-WA0029.jpg

IMG-20240120-WA0027.jpg

IMG-20240120-WA0026.jpg

IMG-20240120-WA0025.jpg

IMG-20240120-WA0024.jpg

IMG-20240120-WA0023.jpg

IMG-20240120-WA0020.jpg

IMG-20240120-WA0018.jpg

IMG-20240120-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20240120-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20240120-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20240120-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20240120-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20240120-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20240120-WA0028.jpg

IMG-20240120-WA0009.jpg

Lovely photos and views.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Another lovely sunny day here (23-25oC), more of a breeze today especially along the prom. We have found a cracking cafe (Gala Cafe) in the next village along (La Guirra) who have the most amazing chocolate cake and excellent coffee. There is a small shopping complex there which has a Eurospar, they have an amazing meat, fish and cheese counter stretching the length of the shop, everything is cut to your requirement so we have purchased a couple of cheeses, pate and cold meats which we are having this evening to be washed down with a Rioja for me and a Sauvignon blanc for Mrs YP. It was market day in town so we had a look this morning.

We must have Hoopoes nesting near by as we have seen them several times in front of our apartment hunting for grubs in the soil, a very pretty bird. There are quite a lot of ring necked doves around which I assume are the Spanish equivalent of Wood pigeons.

image.png.1c98efb5af65e2f0b734e61d33c498aa.png

Lovely bird which I have never been able to see for the last 15 years just all those doves and chipmunks.

I normally get my pork joint in that Eurospar you were in really cheap and a lot of wines to choose from but I manly shop in Mercadona back up near the airport.

Enjoy your holiday weather has been good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Another lovely sunny day here (23-25oC), more of a breeze today especially along the prom. We have found a cracking cafe (Gala Cafe) in the next village along (La Guirra) who have the most amazing chocolate cake and excellent coffee. There is a small shopping complex there which has a Eurospar, they have an amazing meat, fish and cheese counter stretching the length of the shop, everything is cut to your requirement so we have purchased a couple of cheeses, pate and cold meats which we are having this evening to be washed down with a Rioja for me and a Sauvignon blanc for Mrs YP. It was market day in town so we had a look this morning.

We must have Hoopoes nesting near by as we have seen them several times in front of our apartment hunting for grubs in the soil, a very pretty bird. There are quite a lot of ring necked doves around which I assume are the Spanish equivalent of Wood pigeons.

image.png.1c98efb5af65e2f0b734e61d33c498aa.png

We enjoyed our day in Fuertaventura yesterday and the weather was just about perfect

We, too, saw a gaggle of collared doves - pretty little things.  No hoopoes for us though

Now, a question I seem to ask every time we’re on holiday - why do we have so many seagulls all around our coast and at resorts, yet there are never any when we go abroad?  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

We enjoyed our day in Fuertaventura yesterday and the weather was just about perfect

We, too, saw a gaggle of collared doves - pretty little things.  No hoopoes for us though

Now, a question I seem to ask every time we’re on holiday - why do we have so many seagulls all around our coast and at resorts, yet there are never any when we go abroad?  

The foreign ones don't like pie and chips.We have a bunch at the end of our beach where a stream enters the sea but they never bother anyone..

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Lovely bird which I have never been able to see for the last 15 years just all those doves and chipmunks.

I normally get my pork joint in that Eurospar you were in really cheap and a lot of wines to choose from but I manly shop in Mercadona back up near the airport.

Enjoy your holiday weather has been good.

We have pairs of Hoopoes at certain times of the year in Italy although we didn't see any last year.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, brian1 said:

We have pairs of Hoopoes at certain times of the year in Italy although we didn't see any last year.

We also saw hoopoes during our safari yesterday

I remember the guide saying they are named that due to the noise they make

Our guide was a real bird enthusiast. He is on a challenge to photograph 400 different species currently. 350 of which he knows could be in his park area

When he spotted a bird for us he would often be able to imitate the noise it makes to see if it would react 

I was amazed to see the nests the weaver birds create

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, brian1 said:

The foreign ones don't like pie and chips.We have a bunch at the end of our beach where a stream enters the sea but they never bother anyone..

In Weston super mare they will literally dive bomb you for your fish and chips. There were warning notices everywhere

And also Bridlington where they were a right pain!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

In Weston super mare they will literally dive bomb you for your fish and chips. There were warning notices everywhere

They are scavengers and will dive bomb you wherever you are.  I remember DH and I taking our nephew to Llandudno for the day when he was 3 years old and his mum was at work. I had taken a picnic to have on the beach.  One of the flying rats swooped down and snatched his scone out of his hand.  The poor child was devastated and when I gave him another scone he took a bite and then held it under his armpit only bringing it out to take another bite.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

I guess it's because there are more fish in our colder waters than in the hot seas of the Med or Caribbean.

Or maybe our seagulls are all immigrants!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

There are gulls in the Islands, but less than there are in Northern Europe, I have seen them when visiting the islands, certainly not in the numbers we see at home.

https://www.gomeravive.com/en/nature-portal/birds/gulls-and-terns/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

They can't read in St Ives.

IMG_20220605_141112~2.jpg

• Haha 13

Morning all,

Been having trouble phoning my mum lately, she keeps saying ‘I can’t hear you’ and slams the phone down! So yesterday we took her to get a new phone, exactly the same as her old one as she needs a basic one. It seemed to be better. This morning I’ve rung her and she could hear me clearly - phew what a relief!

Just been watching ‘George Michael at the BBC’ while ironing. Enjoyed it very much, especially the Wham bits, I was 18 again 😁

• Like 8

Wind Weather warning as been upgraded to Amber for much of England, I think I will remove a few more things that may become mobile later today. Forecast of gusts up to 58 mph. Late this afternoon, just as we are off to visit my granddaughter on her 18th Birthday.

I suspect my neighbours fence at the front may disappear after it was damaged in previous storm, he has replacements in order, but being non standard they are taking time to come through. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

Wind Weather warning as been upgraded to Amber for much of England, I think I will remove a few more things that may become mobile later today. Forecast of gusts up to 58 mph. Late this afternoon, just as we are off to visit my granddaughter on her 18th Birthday.

I suspect my neighbours fence at the front may disappear after it was damaged in previous storm, he has replacements in order, but being non standard they are taking time to come through. 

Happy 18th birthday to your dear granddaughter today.

80e3a63d58d678ec9db1e196a03bdb42.gif

• Like 2

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Morning all,

Been having trouble phoning my mum lately, she keeps saying ‘I can’t hear you’ and slams the phone down! So yesterday we took her to get a new phone, exactly the same as her old one as she needs a basic one. It seemed to be better. This morning I’ve rung her and she could hear me clearly - phew what a relief!

Just been watching ‘George Michael at the BBC’ while ironing. Enjoyed it very much, especially the Wham bits, I was 18 again 😁

Same trouble with my Mum. Seems she kept hiting a volume button on the side which caused problems. 

• Like 1

The wind and rain has started to build up here now, hopefully it isn't going to do too much damage.  DH has been out this morning and moved the few things that were not anchored down in the garden. 

Take care and stay safe everyone.

• Like 6

It’s a howler out there. Winds strong enough to knock over planters and wheeled bins.

We are flying tomorrow morning (hopefully) but the forecast is really not good. 

I’m desperate for some sunshine away from snow and sub zero temperatures here. 

Edited by Eglesbrech
Sub
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

It’s a howler out there. Winds strong enough to knock over planters and wheeled bins.

I’m desperate for some sunshine away from snow and sun zero temperatures here. 

I will keep my fingers crossed that your flight goes ahead tomorrow.

Really windy here too, I am supposed to collect new glasses tomorrow but maybe not if it’s too windy. They are only sunglasses and I can’t see me needing them urgently anytime soon

Michelle

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I’m desperate for some sunshine away from snow and sub zero temperatures here. 

Happy travels.  Hope you get away ok.  It’s scarily stormy here too.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

I think I may be in for a very long flight delay. The wind looks strong for most of the day tomorrow. We are going to leave in the middle of the night to head down to Edinburgh airport. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

We have a new measure of wind speed. Forget the Beaufort scale, m/s, knots and all of that scientific stuff... it is all about how far the wheelie bins can travel on their sides... we currently have one trying to get through a neighbour's fence... another one further down our shared drive than we've ever seen before... now expecting that there will be a few other things that go "bump in the night!"

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

We have a new measure of wind speed. Forget the Beaufort scale, m/s, knots and all of that scientific stuff... it is all about how far the wheelie bins can travel on their sides... we currently have one trying to get through a neighbour's fence... another one further down our shared drive than we've ever seen before... now expecting that there will be a few other things that go "bump in the night!"

The wind is so bad here our solid steel tete @ tete chair is moving across the patio!