P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

I was checking my Sky account yesterday looking for anything I could cancel, when I noticed that as well as Sky talk anytime, which cost £13.50 per month, I also had Sky Talk internet which was free.  So I checked with Sky and as long as your phone is connected through your router, you can cancel the Sky Talk and continue to use your land line with no additional charge.

I assume this will work with any broadband supplier if your router has a telephone connection, and of course if they don't charge for internet calls, and you will need to cancel your land line account if it is with a different supplier to your broadband.

A couple of issues though are that some things, like personal alarms might not work unless the supplier has this enabled, and you will need to add your local area code to any local numbers you have stored, otherwise your calls will get lost in the web.

We are now into the second half of our six week stay in Fuerteventura, it just feels like home now, I even have the lady in a local cafe we have found teaching me Spanish, Mrs YP says she has taken a shine to me as I always seem to get bigger pieces of cake than anyone else. We had a day at the Oasis wildlife park yesterday which we really enjoyed, the raptor show was excellent.

The weather continues to be sunny and very warm, we have some cloud forecast tomorrow, we have not seen a drop of rain yet. It is the local carnival this weekend so we are looking forward to that. 

Hopefully everyone is as well as they can be.

20240206_114051.jpg

20240206_132842.jpg

20240206_104508.jpg

DSCF0018.JPG

DSCF0013.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG

DSCF0001.JPG

DSCF0007.JPG

DSCF0017.JPG

• Like 20

Got an early dart today as mum had a speech and language lady visiting her. It was nice seeing her at lunchtime, different vibe, seemed more relaxed. She did very well and she was pleased with mum’s progress. Mum couldn’t wait to go back to the lounge so it seems she’s settling now. I spoke to two more carers today who said how lovely she is! That’s 4 or 5 different ones now. They were having a musical morning and apparently mum was shaking her maracas with gusto 😂

• Like 14

34 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Got an early dart today as mum had a speech and language lady visiting her. It was nice seeing her at lunchtime, different vibe, seemed more relaxed. She did very well and she was pleased with mum’s progress. Mum couldn’t wait to go back to the lounge so it seems she’s settling now. I spoke to two more carers today who said how lovely she is! That’s 4 or 5 different ones now. They were having a musical morning and apparently mum was shaking her maracas with gusto 😂

I bet you are so relieved she is enjoying herself.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

We are now into the second half of our six week stay in Fuerteventura, it just feels like home now, I even have the lady in a local cafe we have found teaching me Spanish, Mrs YP says she has taken a shine to me as I always seem to get bigger pieces of cake than anyone else. We had a day at the Oasis wildlife park yesterday which we really enjoyed, the raptor show was excellent.

The weather continues to be sunny and very warm, we have some cloud forecast tomorrow, we have not seen a drop of rain yet. It is the local carnival this weekend so we are looking forward to that. 

Hopefully everyone is as well as they can be.

20240206_114051.jpg

20240206_132842.jpg

20240206_104508.jpg

DSCF0018.JPG

DSCF0013.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG

DSCF0001.JPG

DSCF0007.JPG

DSCF0017.JPG

Great photos Phil.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

DH had a medication review at the surgery yesterday and while he was there he asked if they had received the results from  his skin biopsy, the nurse checked for him and said it hadn't arrived yet.  While he was there I had checked on his NHS account and found that the consultant had put a note on saying that treatment will start in March.

It looks like the surgery records are not up to date because when we looked on his records on the surgery website there was definitely nothing there about his biopsy result.

I naively thought that updating the hospital information would automatically update the surgery information.  Surely a joined up NHS system would be an obvious time saver and helpful for patients.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Great news Sue. I can remember exactly that scenario with my mum when she went into care. It was a real turning point. I hope mum continues to enjoy all the activities. I'm so pleased for you. Jane xx

• Like 9

10 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

They were having a musical morning and apparently mum was shaking her maracas with gusto 😂

Glad to read your mums settled in and likes shaking her maracas about ,sounds like fun 😉

Morning everyone , my phone has given a snow alert for today but as yet it's overcast  2'c 

with a feel of -2.c.

Hope you all have a good day ,take care .🙂

• Like 9

Good news about your Mum, Sue

She’ll be calling it home soon - which is correct.  It is her new home, with added extras like company and care - and maracas!

What a wet morning!  It’s a while since we’ve had this volume of rain, and it’s undone all the mud-drying that’s gone on over the last few weeks.  Pah!

Haircut for me this afternoon - thank goodness I’m not spending a fortune on anything exotic, as I will no doubt look like a drowned rat by the time I get home

• Like 5

Morning all, it’s very dark here with heavy rain. At least it’s not snow!

Thanks for your kind words re my mum, of course life is never smooth as it looks like there might be a bit of a problem with the person who owns the freehold on my mum’s flat! This could hold up the sale 🙄 John is getting a bit stressed but I’m trying to leave it to my sister as she’s offered to deal with sale as she’s moved dozens of times! The last time we moved was 1996!! 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

DH had a medication review at the surgery yesterday and while he was there he asked if they had received the results from  his skin biopsy, the nurse checked for him and said it hadn't arrived yet.  While he was there I had checked on his NHS account and found that the consultant had put a note on saying that treatment will start in March.

It looks like the surgery records are not up to date because when we looked on his records on the surgery website there was definitely nothing there about his biopsy result.

I naively thought that updating the hospital information would automatically update the surgery information.  Surely a joined up NHS system would be an obvious time saver and helpful for patients.

You would think they’d marry up wouldn’t you? Unfortunately knowing what I know about NHS systems I’m not surprised. The biggest team where I work have now got a different computer system to us . This means if people select the wrong phone option (which happens loads) and get me I have to put them through to the other team who often have a long queue wait. If it was a simple question like can you check my appointment time I’d do it for them. Now I have to put them in another queue, how is that progress?

Hope your husband is ok .

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It's a horrible morning here, plenty of sleet and snow.  I usually go to the oatcake shop on Thursdays because DH likes to have a cooked breakfast once a week  but when I got there the shop was closed. 

DH has just told me that they live at Leek so it is possible that they are having problems on the roads.  I didn’t try the other oatcake shop which is near to us because their oatcakes are thick and nasty like the supermarket ones.

The children and their dad usually have oatcakes too when I get ours so they are going to be disappointed today.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 7

Josy, after your post I decided to have a little look at my NHS app and would you believe I should have had a phone consultation yesterday at 2pm!! I knew nothing about this! I am having a blood test next week ready for my annual review. Now I’m waiting a call back from the surgery as I didn’t get the call anyway! Let’s hope someone phones before I start work at 1pm.

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 4

A very latish morning after a late return last night from a live screening of Mannon from the Royal Opera House... amazing performances... but "the wee sma oours" before we were in bed.

Today is a medical appointment... one of five this week... just for one of us. Recently, a friend commented that with so much medical attention we must be in a poor state... it must be a "curse"... but... No... it's so much medical attending that keeps us both fit and well enough to enjoy life, look forward to the next holiday, plan the next cruise, the next trip to the theatre or the cinema and that not even to mention Valentine's!

We've been exceptionally busy over the last week or so finalising our 240 pages of on-line photo diary of over 1,000 of our best pics from 2023. The memories just flood back... the Northern Lights, the meals out, the trips to Chester, Durham and Cornwall, our garden in spring, summer, autumn and winter, our wanders over the local heath, birdwatching... our high-days and holidays... and lots of other little joys that we've shared.

When they were our current age, old aunties would alway advise us to "count the blessings." We now realise that they were so right. So on a cool day, with grey skies, a distinctive drizzle and a yellow weather warning, a dip into this thread is just so warming and. comforting.

Hope all are doing well, looking forward to better weather and the joys of spring. In the short term... there's always lunch... or in our case this morning...."Brunch." 

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I thought that as well. I had a phone call from my doctors as bit of a problem with my blood test. He mentioned the tablets I was on from the surgery. Didn't know anything about treatment I had from the hospital. I have my hormone tablets from the drs but my targeted therapy drug and bone strengthening injection at the hospital. They had no record of them. Told him my low white blood cells were low because of my treatment. You couldn't make it up.🤣

• Like 4

Morning.

Sowing here at the moment and it's starting to settle too, 0c with a feel of -5c which I can well believe. Brrr🥶

@P&O SUE I'm pleased your mum has settled in well to her new home. Don't worry about the flat, your sister is taking that worry from you so let her. You've had your share of stress and worry, so let someone else help shoulder the burden.x

@Josy1953 I hope all goes well with DH treatment.x

Have a good day everyone. Keep warm and take care if you're out and about. x

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is 4°C and cloudy here with rain expected around lunchtime.

I hope everyone has an enjoyable day.

The snow  is having  a go this morning now dipped to 1.c.

Our  lad is in his artic wagon heading  for Glasgow today and sods law..he's got a puncture 😟

Good  news is the tyre fitters  now fixing it.

Time for  a cuppa me thinks 😊

20240208_113609.thumb.jpg.722e2bf06ade8540dec4b11cb0d12085.jpg

• Like 10

Talking NHS, I have just got back, in the sleet, having been taken by a lovely neighbour as my car is not currently working, to the local hospital for walk-in blood tests, for a repeat of one requested by my GP earlier in the week.  The GPs people were supposed to have sent details of what was needed, but of course had not, so after waiting in outpatients for some time we had to phone them to get them to perform.  Shortly after lovely phlobotomist called me in to say they have arrived, and test should be back with GP  this afternoon.  He is to phone me later to say whether or not I can have the fairly important meds. he seems to think I need.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

It's a horrible morning here, plenty of sleet and snow.  I usually go to the oatcake shop on Thursdays because DH likes to have a cooked breakfast once a week  but when I got there the shop was closed. 

DH has just told me that they live at Leek so it is possible that they are having problems on the roads.  I didn’t try the other oatcake shop which is near to us because their oatcakes are thick and nasty like the supermarket ones.

The children and their dad usually have oatcakes too when I get ours so they are going to be disappointed today.

Oatcakes should be nice and thin. My uncle had an oatcake shop in Hanley and his oatcakes were thick but very popular, not for me! Our favourite shop has now been demolished but we have managed to find Aunty Sarah's Oatcakes in our local shop which are the closest to our original.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

Oatcakes should be nice and thin. My uncle had an oatcake shop in Hanley and his oatcakes were thick but very popular, not for me! Our favourite shop has now been demolished but we have managed to find Aunty Sarah's Oatcakes in our local shop which are the closest to our original.

It's strange isn't it how we all like our different oatcakes.  My grandma had an oatcake shop in Joiners Square and I have never found any as nice hers were.  I don't like Aunty Sarah's Oatcakes we have had them occasionally because they are in Normacot so fairly close to us, we are in Lightwood.  We usually get ours from Oatcuisine in Dresden which are the closest that I have got to my grandma's but today I got them from Foley Oatcakes, they are slightly thicker so not quite as nice but a friend of ours swears that they are the best that he has ever had.

• Like 4