P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Posted (edited)

I’ve just read a piece on cryptosporidium infection in the uk.  Apparently numbers are going through the roof at the moment

I’d be guilty of breaking the “No politics” rule if I proferred my explanation of the reason .  It doesn’t take a genius

So - extra, extra, hand washing and vigilance 

(I wonder if this is behind the ships’ outbreaks?)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cryptosporidium-public-advice

Edited by Eddie99
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

A lovely sunny morning and already 14° here, predicted to go up to 19° later.

I saw a really funny thing in the road this morning, a small cat was chasing a sparrow up the road and the sparrow didn't  seem to be able to take off, a black bird swooped down, landing on the cat's back, the cat tried to shake the blackbird off but it clung on until the sparrow managed to get away.

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

A lovely sunny morning and already 14° here, predicted to go up to 19° later.

I saw a really funny thing in the road this morning, a small cat was chasing a sparrow up the road and the sparrow didn't  seem to be able to take off, a black bird swooped down, landing on the cat's back, the cat tried to shake the blackbird off but it clung on until the sparrow managed to get away.

Good but spooky,I remember the film "The birds"

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Sending best wishes for a speedy recovery from sickness and pain to all affected. 

Another warm sunny day, whisper it!  Catching the 9.50 train to London due to the fare difference.  £105.00 return on the o.20 or £47.50 on the 9.50! Goodness knows how much my old season ticket would cost now!

Hope everyone has a Beautiful Day!!!

We've just got a travel together rail card 30% off all journeys in UK for 30 quid.Individual cards are 30 quid each.We intend to use trains and coaches a lot more nowdays.Especially after just driving a "trans Atlantic" in 8 days.

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, brian1 said:

We've just got a travel together rail card 30% off all journeys in UK for 30 quid.Individual cards are 30 quid each.We intend to use trains and coaches a lot more nowdays.Especially after just driving a "trans Atlantic" in 8 days.

I have a senior railcard and the National Express card too, they are great.  If you can buy singles on fixed services they are a great help.  Unfortunately I can't do that for all things because I'm connecting through several services which may or may not run to time and connect. A lot of my journeys involve crossing through London so I have to add in the perils of LU as well.  Going north it's much cheaper to go into London for the m mainline services than it is to use Crosscountry which can be extortionate.  The perils of living west I suppose!

• Like 9

Morning all, thanks again for all your good wishes. The power of cruise critic I think - I’m much better today at last! The sun is shining, I’ve got two loads of washing out and I’ve been sitting in the garden. Just come in now to cool down before my afternoon shift.

Here’s a funny thing - well I’ve never heard it before. John’s work mate is going on his first ever cruise soon on Iona. It was arranged by a TA. Anyway, he has to park at Southampton airport and then they’ve put on a bus to take them to the port! Anyone heard of that before?

• Like 11

44 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I have a senior railcard and the National Express card too, they are great.  If you can buy singles on fixed services they are a great help.  Unfortunately I can't do that for all things because I'm connecting through several services which may or may not run to time and connect. A lot of my journeys involve crossing through London so I have to add in the perils of LU as well.  Going north it's much cheaper to go into London for the m mainline services than it is to use Crosscountry which can be extortionate.  The perils of living west I suppose!

I see your point,we're new at this game,lol.We're going to Northampton next thursday to see my new found aunt again.Only 50 mins and cheaper than the coach.When NE have to change coaches it works out dearer quite often.We learnt that last week going to Cambridge changing at STN.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Don't want to be a harbinger of doom - or whatever it is - but let's hope the drivers etc. are not on strike.

Luckily(!) the strikes are this week. Our no trains day was Tuesday, we are on overtime ban until the 11th. Next week should be clear for Brian's trip as there won't be time to ballot a new strike.

Incidentally this is the 3rd summer of this dispute!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Morning all, thanks again for all your good wishes. The power of cruise critic I think - I’m much better today at last! The sun is shining, I’ve got two loads of washing out and I’ve been sitting in the garden. Just come in now to cool down before my afternoon shift.

Here’s a funny thing - well I’ve never heard it before. John’s work mate is going on his first ever cruise soon on Iona. It was arranged by a TA. Anyway, he has to park at Southampton airport and then they’ve put on a bus to take them to the port! Anyone heard of that before?

Yes, we looked at it for September one year when parking at the port was all gone.

They charge you more than they would if you were just leaving the car for a flight and that’s more taking account of the additional cost of the transfers to and from the port.

You can’t just book the car park at the standard rate and get a taxi, or at least you couldn’t when we looked as you needed a flight reference. May have changed.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I see your point,we're new at this game,lol.We're going to Northampton next thursday to see my new found aunt again.Only 50 mins and cheaper than the coach.When NE have to change coaches it works out dearer quite often.We learnt that last week going to Cambridge changing at STN.

If you go to Cambridge again the Anglian trains although slower are really cheap if you pick carefully.  I often do Cambridge to Chelmsford and can get a £7.00 single advance purchase- it probably went up a bit in March.  I then go on my next bit Chelmsford to Romford, and depending where I'm headed either Romford to Upminster and up to West Ham for jubilee to Waterloo or Upminster to Leigh on Sea.  Never paid more than £17 for the whole lot.

Trying the Elizabeth Line to Brentwood next month but that's going to be £8.00 from Reading.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

If you go to Cambridge again the Anglian trains although slower are really cheap if you pick carefully.  I often do Cambridge to Chelmsford and can get a £7.00 single advance purchase- it probably went up a bit in March.  I then go on my next bit Chelmsford to Romford, and depending where I'm headed either Romford to Upminster and up to West Ham for jubilee to Waterloo or Upminster to Leigh on Sea.  Never paid more than £17 for the whole lot.

Trying the Elizabth Line to Brentwood next month but that's going to be £8.00 from Reading.

LOL,I realised that too late last week,didn't even bother to research trains from Liverpool st.Plus we only pay from zone 6 having a London freedom pass.We live 2 stops from Upminster in Hornchurch.My OH took her brother to Reading yesterday, just changing at Whitechapel, for a day out.That journey didn't cost a penny.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yes, we looked at it for September one year when parking at the port was all gone.

They charge you more than they would if you were just leaving the car for a flight and that’s more taking account of the additional cost of the transfers to and from the port.

You can’t just book the car park at the standard rate and get a taxi, or at least you couldn’t when we looked as you needed a flight reference. May have changed.

I bet it is! This was arranged by his TA and seems there’s several of them being bussed in!

Just now, brian1 said:

LOL,I realised that too late last week,didn't even bother to research trains from Liverpool st.Plus we only pay from zone 6 having a London freedom pass.We live 2 stops from Upminster in Hornchurch.My OH took her brother to Reading yesterday, just changing at Whitechapel, for a day out.That journey didn't cost a penny.

It's Hornchurch we are going to next month for my SIL's birthday.  Staying in Brentwood so trying Elizabeth Line. On the morning intend EL to Romford and use our bus passes on the old 370 to Hornchurch. I used to use the Devonshire Hotel there but it seems to have shut.  We're going Uber back but that's apparently about £29!

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

It's Hornchurch we are going to next month for my SIL's birthday.  Staying in Brentwood so trying Elizabeth Line. On the morning intend EL to Romford and use our bus passes on the old 370 to Hornchurch. I used to use the Devonshire Hotel there but it seems to have shut.  We're going Uber back but that's apparently about £29!

It's a small world.248,252 and 193 also go to Hornchurch.We only live 300 yds from the Devonshire,it didn't look shut when we walked into town 2 hrs ago.Going to the gym at 1.30,I'll have a look and let you know.I love this thread.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Thanks all, I’m really surprised how long it’s lasted, it’s knocked me for six! I fell asleep about 3 times yesterday!

I hope you feel better soon Sue

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I hope you feel better soon Sue

+1,sorry Sue I should have replied earlier.I had Delhi belly 6 years ago,not good.

• Thanks 1

Last port today on lovely Cadiz.  From some of your posts it looks you’ve had nice weather at home too (maybe it in Scotland).  Enjoying Arvia much more than I anticipated. Eglesbrech you know a lot about whisky - have you tried Bunahaven from Deanston distillery near Doune? My son’s partner works there. 

IMG_0143.jpeg

IMG_0146.jpeg

• Like 15

Just now, Ilovemygarden said:

Last port today on lovely Cadiz.  From some of your posts it looks you’ve had nice weather at home too (maybe it in Scotland).  Enjoying Arvia much more than I anticipated. Eglesbrech you know a lot about whisky - have you tried Bunahaven from Deanston distillery near Doune? My son’s partner works there. 

IMG_0143.jpeg

IMG_0146.jpeg

Of course I am IN Cadiz and NOT in Scotland!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

IMG_0143.jpeg

IMG_0146.jpeg

I love Cadiz, my favourite port from our cruise last summer

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I love Cadiz, my favourite port from our cruise last summer

We're going there with Celebrity over Christmas.On the itinerary it says Cadiz for Seville,but it's 2 hrs from Seville.Our daughter says Seville is lovely but I think we will stick local.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, brian1 said:

We're going there with Celebrity over Christmas.On the itinerary it says Cadiz for Seville,but it's 2 hrs from Seville.Our daughter says Seville is lovely but I think we will stick local.

We're back there next summer on a cruise with family and they're keen to go to Seville so we may well join them, but would happily just wander around Cadiz.

In Cadiz we walked from the cathedral square to the promenade and kept walking along the sea front, out onto the little peninsula that goes to a fort, then further along sea front to some gardens and then lots of little streets back to the cruise ship, a perfect day exploring.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SarahHben said:

We're back there next summer on a cruise with family and they're keen to go to Seville so we may well join them, but would happily just wander around Cadiz.

In Cadiz we walked from the cathedral square to the promenade and kept walking along the sea front, out onto the little peninsula that goes to a fort, then further along sea front to some gardens and then lots of little streets back to the cruise ship, a perfect day exploring.

Thanks,that's confirmed it for me.Anywhere a 2 hr drive away,we'd only do the ships tours anyway.Not worth it for a similar historical town.

• Like 5