P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Good morning all,was sunny here but the clouds are gathering again.

Same here only 9.c at the moment and forecast is around the 13.c mark .

I have looked back one year from today and we were waking up to a low

of 14.c overnight ,climbing to a sunny high of 28.c ☀️😎😎

What a difference !

Hope everyone's scans/tests went ok and those mums of a certain couple 

of posters are behaving themselves 🙂

Have a great day everyone 😀

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Family holiday to Devon end June, Ashcombe Cottages near Dawlish. Got a pool and activities for the children too, there are thirteen of us going.

We have a few big birthdays this year, son in law was 40 last Saturday, my mum is 90 in July and I am 60 in August and it’s my hubbys birthday while we are away.

On my mums actual birthday we are having afternoon tea at a Clifton Arms Hotel in Lytham 

Michelle

That sounds fabulous Michelle, I hope you all get away together.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Morning all, like Kalos it seemed to be sunny but it’s clouding over already, I’ve no idea what to pack ! Off to have my nails done in about an hour, hope it’s not in vain! 

Have a good day all.

• Like 8

18 hours ago, brian1 said:

Great,you can carry on with the nudie sunbathing now😉.

The neighbours would all be putting their houses up for sale to get away from that sight 🤣

• Haha 16

13 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Afternoon all, John and I have decided we won’t be booking any cruises soon, we should be going this Friday but we’re getting so stressed with the wait and hoping my mum is going to be alright. I will be giving her Home my sister’s and son’s phone numbers when we go away but I’m just crossing everything she’ll be ok before then

Good morning Sue.

I have been in this position with my own Mum, as I'm sure many of us have, so can  understand how stressed and confused you are feeling just now.

I'm trying to be very careful and gentle with my words now Sue because I don't want to offend or upset you in any way.

I was given a peice of advice from my Mum's consultant when we were worried about taking a much needed holiday. It sounded unfeeling at the time, but after giving it a lot of thought, realised she was right.   Ok, here goes.

No matter where you are in the world, no matter how much you worry or how much you neglect your own health it won't change a situation. What will be, will be. If the unthinkable should happen while you are away, you simply come home. You will be leaving your Mum in safe hands and with other family members for company. You can do no more. 

You must not run yourself into the ground and neglect your own health as that won't help anyone. Take your much needed break and try to relax a little and more importantly Sue,   stop feeling guilty
I hope I haven't upset you Sue, if I have I'm sorry.🤗

Take care.x

Avril

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Morning one and all.

Hope everyone is fit and well, or getting better.

Don't know what to our weather is going to do, I think it's undecided. It was brilliantly sunny when I got up, but then clouded over and the sun is now coming out again. Temp wise it's 13c and expected to get to a tad warmer to 15c, it's also windy and I wish someone would put the wood in the hole!

Hope you have a good day.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

They can, but they need deep pockets if they lose that appeal as may end up paying councils legal costs. 

True, but financially it may be worth it. If the committee went against the officer recommendation just to placate the residents then the applicant would probably win an appeal.

13 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

On my mums actual birthday we are having afternoon tea at a Clifton Arms Hotel in Lytham 

I stayed at the Clifton Arms Hotel many years ago for education-related conferences, and it was very good.  Have you had afternoon tea there before?  I'm looking for a recommendation. Thanks.

55 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Morning one and all.

Hope everyone is fit and well, or getting better.

Don't know what to our weather is going to do, I think it's undecided. It was brilliantly sunny when I got up, but then clouded over and the sun is now coming out again. Temp wise it's 13c and expected to get to a tad warmer to 15c, it's also windy and I wish someone would put the wood in the hole!

Hope you have a good day.

I think your weather will be wall to wall sunshine soon. We come down next Monday. Speedos and factor 30 already packed.🤣

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I think your weather will be wall to wall sunshine soon. We come down next Monday. Speedos and factor 30 already packed.🤣

Watch out for the speedo cameras Zap,it's illegal in Cornwall.

• Haha 12

5 minutes ago, zap99 said:

When you posted your beloved wife would like to book aircraft seats "not together" 

and "two solo tables " in the MDR's .....

I saw this and for some reason thought of you Zapp 😉😉🙃

c1503870004b61a1cc7dc824e4e704d4.jpg.7913779dce77bd60818fb98848192ef3.jpg

• Haha 19

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Looking at the forecast for beginning of next week, liquid sunshine more like!!

But being Cornwall, anything can happen in the next half hour🤷‍♀️

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

We’re driving down to St Merryn near Padstow on Thursday to stay in an Airbnb for the weekend. We’ve been lucky with the weather for our uk and overseas holidays in recent years but the unsettled weather is forecast to continue while we are there. Our son is joining us and is driving across from Southampton. It’s the first time that I’ve been to Cornwall since 1979 and the first time for our son so we have lots of new things to visit and explore.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, tjwa said:

True, but financially it may be worth it. If the committee went against the officer recommendation just to placate the residents then the applicant would probably win an appeal.

If the houses around are fairly close together, and the one in question is not on a large plot, it would surely be extremely  unlikely to be approved after further consideration, IMO.  (Assuming there is no funny business going on of course).

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

I stayed at the Clifton Arms Hotel many years ago for education-related conferences, and it was very good.  Have you had afternoon tea there before?  I'm looking for a recommendation. Thanks.

We have, it is really nice and is my mums favourite place for afternoon tea

Michelle

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Good morning Sue.

I have been in this position with my own Mum, as I'm sure many of us have, so can  understand how stressed and confused you are feeling just now.

I'm trying to be very careful and gentle with my words now Sue because I don't want to offend or upset you in any way.

I was given a peice of advice from my Mum's consultant when we were worried about taking a much needed holiday. It sounded unfeeling at the time, but after giving it a lot of thought, realised she was right.   Ok, here goes.

No matter where you are in the world, no matter how much you worry or how much you neglect your own health it won't change a situation. What will be, will be. If the unthinkable should happen while you are away, you simply come home. You will be leaving your Mum in safe hands and with other family members for company. You can do no more. 

You must not run yourself into the ground and neglect your own health as that won't help anyone. Take your much needed break and try to relax a little and more importantly Sue,   stop feeling guilty
I hope I haven't upset you Sue, if I have I'm sorry.🤗

Take care.x

Avril

Thank you Avril, I’m not at all offended.  I won’t let John get the cases down from the loft yet, in case it ‘jinxes’ it! 

We really need this break, but next holiday I’m taking in this country!

• Like 9

50 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Thank you Avril, I’m not at all offended.  I won’t let John get the cases down from the loft yet, in case it ‘jinxes’ it! 

We really need this break, but next holiday I’m taking in this country!

After this cruise you will be able to make a more informed  decision about your future holiday plans and what you will be comfortable with.

Our first holiday leaving Mum with my sister and BIL was a long haul 16 night Hong Kong and Bali which was booked before Dad died and Mum came to live with us. Persuasion from both my sister and surprisingly my Mum, and heeding the consultants advice, I reluctantly went. I found myself relaxing more as the holiday went on and came back rested and more able to cope. Mum had had a great time and apparently enjoyed fleecing them both at Brag😁

After that holiday I felt more confident in making our future holiday plans and which ones I would be more comfortable with. 

Avril x

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tjwa said:

The reason given on the planning department site for refusing the planning application is :

It is considered that the proposals are unsustainable and do not conform with the core planning principles of the NPPF.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

The reason given on the planning department site for refusing the planning application is :

It is considered that the proposals are unsustainable and do not conform with the core planning principles of the NPPF.

That is good news. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

The neighbours would all be putting their houses up for sale to get away from that sight 🤣

It is possibly the ones moving in that you need to be concerned about, not those leaving🥴

Returned home from York after a perfect meet up with my cousin, Charles and his lovely wife Kia. We all gelled imediately and didn't stop talking. Facetimed another cousin, Diane, his sister, who lives near Los Angeles and again we had plenty to say. Charles wants us to visit next year and so does Diane, so it looks like a trip to Nebraska and LA is on the cards.

I am now arranging a similar meet with a 1st cousin on my mothers side. He lives nearer to home in Nottingham.

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Returned home from York after a perfect meet up with my cousin, Charles and his lovely wife Kia. We all gelled imediately and didn't stop talking. Facetimed another cousin, Diane, his sister, who lives near Los Angeles and again we had plenty to say. Charles wants us to visit next year and so does Diane, so it looks like a trip to Nebraska and LA is on the cards.

I am now arranging a similar meet with a 1st cousin on my mothers side. He lives nearer to home in Nottingham.

I'm so pleased everything went well Bob. After Brian's happy reunion with his family I was hoping the same for you. I can only imagine how you must feel finding your family and one of them as close as Nottingham.

Avril

• Like 9

For anyone interested Costa are running their £5 bonus for every £20 spent promotion on gift cards. 

I remember quite a few on here have moggies, I am sure as responsible owners they are chipped. I was reading about how fines will be given to people not having them chipped. Mrs Slocombe will be turning in her grave thinking her pussy hasn't been chipped.

May be an image of text that says 'Wouldn't it be great if we could pur ourselves in the dyer for a 4 short period of kime and COTE ouk wrinkle Free and two sizes Smaller.'

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

5 hours ago, pete14 said:

It is possibly the ones moving in that you need to be concerned about, not those leaving🥴

I hope that who ever buys the house will be a normal family.

I don't know how the care home people weren't aware that the houses here all have a covenant in their deeds that states that the property cannot be used for business purposes.  I would have expected their solicitors would have checked this sort of thing.

I have to admit that we and several other people in the close weren't aware of this clause but when it was brought up we all checked and found the attached clause.20240611_1841032.thumb.jpg.dff73cc6747838cd546a68b5d983e159.jpg

• Like 10

@P&O SUE I hope you’re feeling more relaxed now, and ready for your well-deserved cruise. @Adawn47’s advice is spot on.  You need to look after yourself.  You can’t help Mum if you’re frazzled

We’ve had a busy day, joining a dog-walking walking group!  11 dogs, 11 adults and 2 impeccably well-behaved pre-schoolers.  Great fun was had by all, and good exercise.  The weather is hardly tropical, but at least there was some sun, and it didn’t rain

@grapau27 - I hope you and Pauline are enjoying yourselves517A5C85-D4B0-484D-9AD3-DDFB54D5387E.thumb.jpeg.8112f4f4d131885af66021553e11b886.jpeg

6BDE5704-EF46-467D-8DED-B8062B827543.thumb.jpeg.d865ee9dd334758691b9292d6ccf007b.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2