P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Good morning everyone I’m back home after my wonderful cruise on sky princess chilling out , I’ve spent most of the night catching up on here and what’s been going on .

Avril thank you very much for your kind words and advice it was very much appreciated and I did get to read your post before I left but couldn’t react to it because cc was playing up , but I kept those words in my heart thank you , sadly mum passed away the very next day we were on the cruise on Saturday night , we were all shocked it was so quick even the doctors/ nurses , she passed away during sleeping and none of us could of been there at that time anyway so wise words Avril 🙏

a busy time now sorting things out etc I will write later on a cheerful note about the cruise 

Graham hope your operation goes fine today good news it got brought forward.

Belated Happy Anniversary to Damian hope you had a wonderful day together 🍾🥂

I’m so sorry to hear your sad news……. But I’m very pleased you got away and I’m sure it gave you time to process what happened.

sending a virtual hug. 
Gill x

• Like 1

Odd day here. Being packed up by two lovely removal guys 😜.
Completion day is tomorrow and the unpacking starts on Saturday (staying in a nearby hotel here tonight and another hotel on Friday night near to the bungalow).

I may be without WiFi for a few days altho may be lucky and get good access at the hotels - but will catch up on everyone’s posts when reconnected.

Gill x

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Completion day is tomorrow and the unpacking starts on Saturday (staying in a nearby hotel here tonight and another hotel on Friday night near to the bungalow).

I may be without WiFi for a few days altho may be lucky and get good access at the hotels - but will catch up on everyone’s posts when reconnected.

Gill x

Best of luck Gill, stay calm... 

Andy 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ccpm said:

Graham good luck for today.

Now that the C word and mince pies have been mentioned they are stuck in my head. I did see some in the local shop yesterday but thought ? too soon. Now I'm wanting one. Baking spree mark 2 today then.

It is never too soon for mince pies.  I  make them throughout the year because DH and BiL both love them. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Absolutely. And you and I can enjoy our cheeses even more, knowing that they’re actually improving our health, rather than damaging it.

I imagine you’re starting to prepare for winter up there. I envy you a lot about Scotland, but maybe not the winter or the midges! 😊

Yes that was good news about cheese being healthy!

Preparation well under way. The freezer and larder are stocked (this is an annual event here not stock piling before anyone comments). The butcher delivered the large meat pack and I have all the veg (prefer fresh  but frozen do to add to soups).

I picked all the apples a couple of weeks ago and they are stored. I am currently spicing vinegar to make a batch of Apple chutney for the winter. The house smells nice.

I also made a large batch of sauerkraut so that’s sorted too. At least I have time for all of this now, I used to be chopping cabbage at midnight to get it all done!

My OH has sorted the cars, no idea what he does but he tops things up, puts spades, blankets, salt and Mars bars etc in the car. At least we don’t have to change the tires now which used to be an annual chore. 

as they say, winter is coming….

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Good morning everyone I’m back home after my wonderful cruise on sky princess chilling out , I’ve spent most of the night catching up on here and what’s been going on .

Avril thank you very much for your kind words and advice it was very much appreciated and I did get to read your post before I left but couldn’t react to it because cc was playing up , but I kept those words in my heart thank you , sadly mum passed away the very next day we were on the cruise on Saturday night , we were all shocked it was so quick even the doctors/ nurses , she passed away during sleeping and none of us could of been there at that time anyway so wise words Avril 🙏

a busy time now sorting things out etc I will write later on a cheerful note about the cruise 

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mum Purdey, my sincere condolences to you and your family.

I'm pleased you managed a little respite and a chance to recharge before the next busy time begins.  I understand how you are feeling and I'm pleased you heeded my advice, I hope it helped a little. Could I please give you one more piece fo advice?  Delegate.

My thoughts are with you.x

Avril

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Good luck, Graham.  My DH had both eyes done, about a year apart, at about your age.  He chose not to have a general, and said he enjoyed the op!  He had been short-sighted, and the Surgeon asked him to choose, so he said glasses for reading, as h was fed up of getting distance ones wet in the rain.  It worked brilliantly, and he had no pain and could see quite well, within a couple of hours.

He is now over 90, and still has pretty good vision!  Hope yours goes just as well.

Thank you lincslady.

After my phacovitrectomy in February when I had an Epiretinal Membrane peal from my macular they did the cataract as well fitting an OCL and I could drive and watch TV for the first time without glasses for 20 years.

I couldn't get a new glasses prescription until a cataract was sorted on my other eye so I am pleased and hopeful that the op today will make a big difference and maybe I might only need reading glasses instead of the very expensive varifocal glasses.

Graham.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Gill x

Very best wishes for an uneventful moving of house Gill.

I hope you have many happy years in your new property.

Graham 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Late to the party but best of luck today Graham, hope all goes/is going well. 

Andy & Michelle xx

Thanks Andy.

I have been wanting this op on my other eye since the successful operation on my other eye in February so I hope things work out okay 🙏.

Graham.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

So sorry to hear your sad news.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

If it is Sky Princess that you are going on we may bump into you ☺️

We are getting our flu jabs next week at Boots.  I am hoping to get my Covid booster when I volunteer at the vaccine hub on Saturday, I had my 2nd vaccine  in November last year on the trial but the trial vaccine is not being rolled out in the UK so I have been advised to get a Pfizer booster.

Yes we are on Sky Princess.

My wife has done all the Medallion app malarkey but all seems to be in place now after some hiccups and frustrations along the way ! It seems to be a lot more complicated now to prepare for a cruise, in the 'old days' you booked it paying the deposit, paid the balance and then the tickets and luggage tags would arrive in the post a few weeks before departure and that was it, now we seem to have to do so much more ourselves down load this or that, enter info etc.... Let alone vaccine cert proof, pre-embarkation testing, checking that the travel insurance covers the cruise that we are on etc.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Thank you and sincere condolences to you and your family.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Angel57 said:

Gill x

Good luck Gill. I hope you will be very happy in your new home - at last! I also hope young Freddie settles in well and picks just the right spot for himself! Very best wishes. Jane.x 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yes that was good news about cheese being healthy!

Preparation well under way. The freezer and larder are stocked (this is an annual event here not stock piling before anyone comments). The butcher delivered the large meat pack and I have all the veg (prefer fresh  but frozen do to add to soups).

I picked all the apples a couple of weeks ago and they are stored. I am currently spicing vinegar to make a batch of Apple chutney for the winter. The house smells nice.

I also made a large batch of sauerkraut so that’s sorted too. At least I have time for all of this now, I used to be chopping cabbage at midnight to get it all done!

My OH has sorted the cars, no idea what he does but he tops things up, puts spades, blankets, salt and Mars bars etc in the car. At least we don’t have to change the tires now which used to be an annual chore. 

as they say, winter is coming….

Great stuff!  I'm lucky enough to have a wife rather like yourself.  She enjoys what she does - and I enjoy being on the receiving end! 

Much like your OH, I sort the cars.  I also do all the financial and 'paperwork' which my wife doesn't like doing.  Playing to our strengths!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks Andy.

I have been wanting this op on my other eye since the successful operation on my other eye in February so I hope things work out okay 🙏.

Graham.

You and me both, Graham.  One done in the Spring and I'll get the other one done next Spring, probably.  Odd, isn't it, having one eye that works well, and another that doesn't - I see things in totally different colours, depending on which eye I close!

You'll be out in no time, as you know, and with good vision again.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Great stuff!  I'm lucky enough to have a wife rather like yourself.  She enjoys what she does - and I enjoy being on the receiving end! 

Much like your OH, I sort the cars.  I also do all the financial and 'paperwork' which my wife doesn't like doing.  Playing to our strengths!

A good lasting marriage is a partnership. Frank handed me his wage packet(remember those😉) when we were first married, and when I asked what it was for, he told me he was useless dealing with money, so that was my job, and I've been the accountant etc ever since.  As  you say say Harry, play to our strengths. 

Avril

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Pre retirement I had a high profile career so now I thoroughly enjoy having the time to cook, bake, generally potter about and spoil my OH.

We have always done what we do best, as you say playing to strengths. We also always did what needed done based on who had the time that week to do it (sometimes neither of us as work took over). Partnership at its best.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Sorry to hear this news. Even when it's expected it is still an enormous shock 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Angel57 said:

Gill x

Good luck - hope everything goes smoothly!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

You and me both, Graham.  One done in the Spring and I'll get the other one done next Spring, probably.  Odd, isn't it, having one eye that works well, and another that doesn't - I see things in totally different colours, depending on which eye I close!

You'll be out in no time, as you know, and with good vision again.

Thanks Harry.

I am home now and the consultant said the operation went really well.

I was only in for 30 minutes with the eye check,blood pressure check anaesthetic and op.

My eye is slightly stinging but otherwise I'm delighted it's now done.

Graham.

• Like 18