P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

16 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Wonderful news Sue, you and your Mum must be so relieved. I can understand them wanting to be in their own home, it's where they feel the most comfortable and content. I don't know how far away they will be, but is there some way you or some one can look in on them a couple of times a day.  I was in a similar situation with my parents but I was only 10 min walk away. I would take them some meals, did some cleaning, made sure they had their meds, took their washing to do at home and so on. They had my number with instructions to phone if they needed me day or night, it worked well. It depends on your own situation obviously, but I'm sure you'll find a solution, the main thing is, he will be home.

Avril

Thankyou Avril. My parents are about a 10 minute drive away. However I don’t drive and anyway John has the car for work! Luckily he gets home about 2.30pm but I do feel a bit sorry for him as    Everyday since last Wednesday he’s taken us to their house for one reason or another and then the hospital.

My dad has phoned and said it could be this evening until he gets out 🙄 But my mum insists she wants her flu jab so off they’ve gone again!  It’s at her local pharmacy and they phoned yesterday and said she can pop in anytime - but she wants to do it now! (I’m at my desk this afternoon!)

A long journey to go I think because we need to find them a flat or something, they have a lot of stairs at their house.

My sister is 2 hours away and just gives ‘advice’ - I’m biting my lip!!

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Thankyou Avril. My parents are about a 10 minute drive away. However I don’t drive and anyway John has the car for work! Luckily he gets home about 2.30pm but I do feel a bit sorry for him as    Everyday since last Wednesday he’s taken us to their house for one reason or another and then the hospital.

My dad has phoned and said it could be this evening until he gets out 🙄 But my mum insists she wants her flu jab so off they’ve gone again!  It’s at her local pharmacy and they phoned yesterday and said she can pop in anytime - but she wants to do it now! (I’m at my desk this afternoon!)

A long journey to go I think because we need to find them a flat or something, they have a lot of stairs at their house.

My sister is 2 hours away and just gives ‘advice’ - I’m biting my lip!!

I know what you mean by that last sentence as my SIL lived 200 miles away when my MIL was poorly! Then again, my MIL was wonderful when my children were young and helped us with childminding. She couldn’t do that for her other grandchildren in England so it was swings and roundabounts really. But sometimes the ‘distant’ relatives can be a bit more objective as we tend to be in the middle of things and it can be good to look at things in different way. As always, you tend to muddle through! 

• Like 5

I give up!!!!  There was a 'family' celebration on Sunday for a big birthday.  One person has covid and allowed out after Saturday.  We heard this morning that someone else has actual covid.  We could not believe that they said she couldn't come but her Husband could!!!!.... no way... it may be legal but its certainly not moral or kind to others.. not in my book anyway.  They just don't get it and can't see why any of us could possibly say no.     He could get it from her and give it to all of us.

Anyway the restaurant have been marvellous and so have the cake people at such short notice and dates have been moved.

Beautiful sunny day here in Kent.  Gardeners, Electrician and alarm man all turned up promptly and all jobs done.  Bread and cheese for us for the rest of the week now!🤣

Edited by indiana123
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, kalos said:

Morning ,hope everyone is well today :classic_smile: Seemed like a few of you were having a

good time with your meals yesterday .Looking at Grahams meal with those trio of 

tasty pots ,you would get people who dab/dip at them but when it comes to fish & chips,

Sorry but out they come !  In the words of Marc Bolan .."Get it on " :classic_love: If ever there was

a meal that deserves covering in peas and gravy etc ,this is the one for me . Another one 

I liked was a fish shop that sold Chicken in white sauce ,I would have my fish & chips

with the peas or curry and the  Chicken in white sauce. Now and again I still get Mrs K 

to open a tin and on it goes ,it's magic :classic_love: With the colder weather looming  upon us I 

also like a home made fish cake from the chippie ..That's a round ball of herby heaven 

to me .All this talk of food is making me fancy a chippie meal, so I have just asked

Mrs K "any chance of one today ? :classic_unsure: The answer is ..No :classic_sad: But that is because today 

is the first in a long time ..pan of Beef Stew ,slow cooked ! Don't you just love cold

weather meals :classic_biggrin: 

I hope you all stay safe and enjoy your meals too ! Take Care :classic_love:

Good evening Kalos.

It has been raining heavily all day but we still managed to go out for lunch.

Graham.

IMG-20211028-WA0000.jpg

IMG_20211028_121035.jpg

IMG_20211028_123703.jpg

IMG_20211028_123745.jpg

• Like 9

21 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Dad had his angiogram ok. They didn’t put a stent in! They’re going to treat him with medication and the plan is to let him go home tomorrow!

This is good news but I worry how the two of them will cope at home, my mum needs a lot of support. I’ve said they can both stay with us for a bit but they want to be at home. We will see.

I’m glad all went ok!
Maybe they’ll change their minds about staying with you. Are they a walkable distance from you? 

My GP prescribed me some Naproxen which seems to be helping, my back is a bit more comfortable today, I even managed to bend down and change grandson’s nappies today.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

This morning I have my final appointment for the vaccine trial.  I never thought a year ago when the trials started that we would still be in the situation of having to take precautions against this virus every time we go out.

Have a good day and take care everyone.

Our final appointment is tomorrow morning. I just feel a little sad that despite the stage 3 results  of the Novavax vaccine being very good, it still hasn't received approval for use in the UK. Why? Who knows?

• Like 1

Morning all,

Sarah, glad to hear your back is more comfortable and hope you continue to improve. I know how painful it can be. 

Was pouring with rain when I got up, but seems to have cleared up as can see lighter sky. Well for the minute anyway! Still windy which is making it feel a lot colder than it is.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SarahHben said:

I’m glad all went ok!
Maybe they’ll change their minds about staying with you. Are they a walkable distance from you? 

My GP prescribed me some Naproxen which seems to be helping, my back is a bit more comfortable today, I even managed to bend down and change grandson’s nappies today.

Pleased to hear the medication has eased your back Sarah. Hopefully that is still the same today. Backache is so horrid.

Rather wet here in Dorset and am waiting for a break in the rain - the dog doesn’t seem to bothered at having to wait!

• Like 2

Morning all, my Dad did get home (well to us) yesterday and they stayed here overnight.

This morning he’s itching to get home so looks like we’ll be taking them this afternoon. I will worry how my mum copes but what can I do? 

I shall look forward to a lie in tomorrow- my mum gets up so early 😁

• Like 4

14 hours ago, SarahHben said:

I’m glad all went ok!

Sarah, it’s not walkable really, probably take me an hour!

Glad your back is improving.

Bright sunny but cold here. More odds and ends in the garden, then off to Byfords for lunch on foot so some wine may slip in to.

Noted from my cruise personaliser yesterday that some select dining venues have changed from "enquire onboard" to "coming soon" so may be able to book and pay before I go as usual. Not sure that I am going to Epicurean every night this time. Menu 1, I think, is fine but not my favourite so may book for Sindhu a couple of times and go to the Glass House in the evening on a night or two. Nothing will get me away from my long lazy lunches in the Glass House. Can soon change if I change my mind on board.

Hope everyone else is well and getting ready for a relaxing weekend.

Em.

Edited by ccpm

Wow.. at last a straight talking Surgeon,  I had a telephone consultation this morning and the upshot is that my ankle injury was so severe it's now about as good as it gets at the moment.  More surgery only if pain is unbearable.

I am so grateful to him as now I have all the facts I can come to terms with it.  I am good at that.  I shouldn't be walking at all according to the Italian Doctors.

So due to the way I waddle I have informed the grandchildren that instead of calling me Nanny Cats (to differentiate the nannys!).. they can now call me Nanny Duckface  🦆😂

Edited by indiana123
spelling
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is another wet and windy morning here today and 13°C.

Paulines new varifocal glasses are ready at the opticians so we will call later to get them.

Take care and stay safe everyone 😷.

Graham.

I have just ordered my first pair of varifocal glasses yesterday, optician said I can try them for a month to see how I get on with them. Hubby has worn them for years with no problems.

Just collected three grandchildren, staying overnight tonight. Just about to go to play gym with them as it’s a bit wet & windy outside.

Stay safe everyone 

Michelle

• Like 3

3 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Morning all, my Dad did get home (well to us) yesterday and they stayed here overnight.

This morning he’s itching to get home so looks like we’ll be taking them this afternoon. I will worry how my mum copes but what can I do? 

I shall look forward to a lie in tomorrow- my mum gets up so early 😁

Good news your dad is out of hospital

Michelle

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peanut006 said:

I have just ordered my first pair of varifocal glasses yesterday, optician said I can try them for a month to see how I get on with them. Hubby has worn them for years with no problems.

Just collected three grandchildren, staying overnight tonight. Just about to go to play gym with them as it’s a bit wet & windy outside.

Stay safe everyone 

Michelle

Lets hope for your sake that the Grandkids aren't wet and windy🤣.

• Haha 2

We normally go out on our birthdays but our town on a Friday night is heaving especially with Halloween.Got a shedload of M&S  Chinese to go with my PG rose.Going to Basingstoke next weekend,Beefeater there is good.Cheers,Brian.PS hope you have a good one too Presto.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

We normally go out on our birthdays but our town on a Friday night is heaving especially with Halloween.Got a shedload of M&S  Chinese to go with my PG rose.Going to Basingstoke next weekend,Beefeater there is good.Cheers,Brian.PS hope you have a good one too Presto.

Hope you and Presto have a good Birthday Brian :classic_smile:

It's a well known fact they are the most healthiest things you can have :classic_love:

The more you have the longer you live !  :classic_biggrin:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

The weather at the start of the day over here in Wales was apocalyptic, but by about 1pm the sun came out and it was a beautiful day.  We are having an M&S / Tesco mix chinese tonight with a lovely bottle of Rose Pinot Grigio. Have a great evening and happy 21st 😉 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

PS We booked a week in Sorrento for Easter 2023 yesterday ..... looking forward to it already and all of the exploring we are planning to do. 🙂

That sounds good! One of the best holidays we’ve ever had - so relaxing, but so many places within easy reach.  And, of course, gelati!

6 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

That sounds good! One of the best holidays we’ve ever had - so relaxing, but so many places within easy reach.  And, of course, gelati!

We have been to Sorrento a few times but always in August. Brother and sister in law wanted to explore so we said we would go and Easter seems a time to go and enjoy the traditions etc. May be a bit chilly but who knows.  It was a rainy day yesterday so stayed in and did the research for hotels and deals --- it was like the good old days and left me really excited. No cruise that Easter but a land holiday instead :-)

• Like 4

Happy Birthday, birthday people!

Well, the day started terribly wet but basically improved.  We got out late morning and got our 10000 steps in.  Lazy afternoon, watching the T20 cricket, then tonight really enjoyed a Côte at Home dinner.  Wonder if that might be our last “careful” meal for a while?  Booster jab next Friday & from what I’ve read (which may or may not be true) we’re up to maximum immunity from 7 days after.  Indoor restaurants?  I’ve forgotten how that works!

So, baked Camembert with rolls drizzled with white truffle honey

9B7B076A-425B-476A-ACE0-1003730CA661.thumb.jpeg.2cec57ee9a1c88b63798ce296864d81c.jpeg

then confit duck leg and lentils with carrots and kale

FEDCE90A-F163-4385-B845-3C58051ED7FB.thumb.jpeg.70e6ed0bb97bbf8c4980a3c48d7c7deb.jpeg

and finally

chocolate fondant with salted caramel and almonds

5E840F06-6479-45A3-9643-C88E5C0D9FA0.thumb.jpeg.19e2166fb631c9a002479cc70e2d4103.jpeg

All very nice.  I really rate the Côte at Home offering.  Next month is charcuterie, beef cheek and poached pears

• Like 9