P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

In my immediate area it is good to see that the current covid wave is on the retreat. After the case rate doubling from 14 to 7 days ago it has reduced by 25% in the last 7 days but is still at 1600 per 100,000 people!!

We should have been today travelling down to Southampton before boarding QM2 tomorrow for a 28 day Caribbean cruise but transferred our booking 5 weeks ago when Omicron started to take hold. I'm glad that we did because of the uncertainty hanging over it during Christmas and leading up to the cruise. Our next cruise booked is a P&O Eastern Med cruise in October which should be lower risk, hopefully it doesn't coincide with another covid wave but who knows!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tring said:

I should think so.  From what I understand there was very little or possibly even non on both ships when we sailed on Borealis mid December, but both Christmas cruises saw cases and even resitrictions on some services because certain staff were isolating.  Hence letters were sent out to all passengers on both post Christmas Cruises telling them that, with an offer to change the bookings for later sailings, though those letters were not sent until the day before those cruises began.

Lovely day here so must get out, but will dig a bit further later.  Happy new year to you and Mark,

Barbara 

Happy New Year to you and Allan as well!We have a Fred Olsen cruise booked  in April from Liverpool. Just a short one to see if we like their new ships .Fred has some interesting itineraries.We like p and o but find their itineraries repetitive

• Like 1

Good afternoon everyone.

It's another lovely sunny day and feels quite warm in the sunshine.  

14 hours ago, tring said:

Not sure if Iona is sailing to the Canaries, but have mentioned on the Iona thread that Bolette passengers been told The Canaries will no longer accept ships with anyone at all isolating on the ship.  Hence Bolette's Current Canary cruise curtailed - ship returning to Southampton.

We are due to sail out on Iona on Saturday and haven't heard anything.

Have spent all morning at Mum's sorting and printing out all the paperwork required, as my printer decided to pack up🙄 All done now, just the last minute packing to do then good to go.😄

• Like 3

Just now, purplesea said:

Good afternoon everyone.

Have spent all morning at Mum's sorting and printing out all the paperwork required, as my printer decided to pack up🙄 All done now, just the last minute packing to do then good to go.😄

Have a great cruise.🤣

• Thanks 1

Afternoon all.  What a glorious day!

Pleased to hear that the daxxie is fine.  Scavenging is such an expensive habit with our poochies, though fortunately my current monster has had nothing worse than an upset tum

Sharon - so sorry about the Corinth Canal.  I must say our passage through it - just on a day trip from Piraeus, on an Azura cruise - was one of our all-time favourites

With mid-January weather like this, the pain of not cruising seems a little milder.  We ate fish & chip lunches, sitting outside, jackets off!   We were in full sun and against a wall but …

79BCB11C-72A2-4A32-B7EE-A3912BADC56E.thumb.jpeg.1bb2437852e89b2309fd65ad8f1ffeb5.jpeg

CDC7BE8A-91F6-47AD-A2AC-3411ED004EB6.thumb.jpeg.d4193e6e2c49b2eb6ceb49d5655a75c4.jpeg

• Like 8

4 hours ago, tring said:

I have been wondering for a while if Braemar will ever return to service, though they do have a large up front number of bookings.  If she does not return, I think many of our previous Fred cruises will be replaced by other cruise lines (e.g. Azamara).  We had a Black Watch cruise booked, which, when replaced by Borealis had three of the ports changed because of the larger ship (did not take place in the end of course). 

Braemar will be a pricey ship to run though because of her small size.

Very unlikely many Fred regulars will transfer to Azamara, mainly because of prices and the lack of UK sailings.

Even the around Britain cruises do not often start or end in the UK.

Edited by Bloodaxe

2 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Pleased to hear that the daxxie is fine.  Scavenging is such an expensive habit with our poochies, though fortunately my current monster has had nothing worse than an upset tum

Sharon - so sorry about the Corinth Canal.  I must say our passage through it - just on a day trip from Piraeus, on an Azura cruise - was one of our all-time favourites

With mid-January weather like this, the pain of not cruising seems a little milder.  We ate fish & chip lunches, sitting outside, jackets off!   We were in full sun and against a wall but …

79BCB11C-72A2-4A32-B7EE-A3912BADC56E.thumb.jpeg.1bb2437852e89b2309fd65ad8f1ffeb5.jpeg

CDC7BE8A-91F6-47AD-A2AC-3411ED004EB6.thumb.jpeg.d4193e6e2c49b2eb6ceb49d5655a75c4.jpeg

Is that the pub/ restaurant with the big conservatory?. Do they do beanz with the fish. Not asking for me, but Graham may like to know for his next trip to Weymouth.🤣

• Haha 7

This morning has been full of lovely sunshine, so much so I needed my sun glasses. However in order to make up for yesterday I decided to go meet someone for a lunchtime drink. I'm not sure where he hails from (the Icelandic tundra I guess) but he asked about seats in the garden area. Both the barmaid and I looked amazed and aghast. I was already to plead a sick dog requiring me back home tout suite but he must have seen sense and accepted a seat by the fire. Allegedly club lunches are resuming twice a month from 2 weeks time so that will be something social to add in. Next thing you know I will have to buy a diary.

Emma

Edited by ccpm

7 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Oh no there are more hardy folks than I realised. Perhaps I need to toughen up. I'll ponder that one.

10 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Is that the pub/ restaurant with the big conservatory?. Do they do beanz with the fish. Not asking for me, but Graham may like to know for his next trip to Weymouth.🤣

No, it’s The George, looking directly over the harbour.  Tables outside were at a premium.  All full when we left … had lurkers waiting as we downed the last of our drinks!

See pic

(no beanz, afaik, chips, peas, tartare sauce & a wodge of lemon

• Like 3

Extracts from a Police message on our Neighbourhood Watch group.  I’m getting a bit concerned about some of the relationships here Take care guys - check out those profile photos!

Signs your friend or family member may be involved in a romance scam:

-They may be very secretive about their relationship or provide excuses for why their online partner has not video called or met them in person.

- They might become hostile or angry, and withdraw from conversation when you ask any questions about their partner

-They may express very strong emotions and commitment to someone they have only just met

How users can stay safe from romance scams:

-Profile photos may not be genuine, do your research first. Performing a reverse image search on a search engine can find photos that have been taken from somewhere, or someone, else.

12 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I think I could be wrong but beans have been been around a bit longer than mushy peas :classic_unsure:

Maybe one day some of you may book a cow boy's holiday experience :classic_smile:

Not sure they do mushy peas though :classic_love:

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, kalos said:

I think I could be wrong but beans have been been around a bit longer than mushy peas :classic_unsure:

Maybe one day some of you may book a cow boy's holiday experience :classic_smile:

Not sure they do mushy peas though :classic_love:

Couldn't see any beer battered cod either.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, delgirl said:

When my youngest daughter was with her previous partner she used to iron all his clothes wrong!!! she also used to stack the dishwasher wrong!!. So he did all his own ironing and used to stack the dishwasher. I often used to wonder which was the clever one🤣

Not surprising that he is now the previous partner...😀

• Like 3

Two gloriously sunny days in a row here. Nothing wildly exciting happening in my life but have been making the effort to get out for a walk in the lovely weather. I've got woods and fields on my doorstep but the ground is still so wet and muddy at the moment, so I pounded the local pavements yesterday and walked around the local Country Park this afternoon as it has lots of paved walkways.

The contractors managing my recent leak for the Insurers are still being very slow but at least the leak is fixed.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, purplesea said:

Good afternoon everyone.

Wishing you an uneventful and fabulous cruise Pam.

Graham.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

Never been to Weymouth Zap.

I have an uncle who lives there that used to play for West Ham United.

• Like 1

We had lovely blue skies today but it was definitely cold.  I had to go and collect my niece's daughter from school and the car informed me that the temperature was only 8°.  I am now well versed in what year 7 children are taught in their French lessons and she is confident about the French test that she will have tomorrow.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tring said:

Love it.  Reminds me of when my then 3 or four year old son saw me with a bucket of water cleaning the patio windows.  He looked extremely puzzled and said, "What ARE you doing". 

You've just reminded me - when my son was about 4 years old we moved house.  I was cleaning the patio doors one day and he said to me "they're not that bad are they Mum?"  When I asked what he meant he said "well you call them tatty old doors!"

• Haha 2