P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

On 12/14/2022 at 3:24 PM, Eglesbrech said:

A certain old misery guts up here who doesn,t like anyone enjoying themselves doesn’t allow discounts on alchol. It’s really annoying when the supermarkets are advertising these discounts but we don’t get them.

If I lived nearer the border I might be tempered to do a raid but alas too far so the petrol would probably be as much as the discount

Enjoy your wine, and your lamb. Nice to get a bargain.

Infuriating indeed!   I have a John Lewis credit card with which you get vouchers (essentially cash) 3 times a year according to your spend.   Can’t use them in a Waitrose though if there is any alcohol in the order.  😢

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

For those of you have been onboard post covid how easy / convenient is the booking process on Iona for shows, dinner etc.

Been reading numerous really bad reviews about having to book for breakfast and lunch as well as dinner, being directly to the buffet as no MDR tables, people getting into zero shows as all booked, no speciality restaurants available etc. 

Reviews usually fall into the shiny / happy/ perfect or the horrible/ poor/ dreadful category with not much in the middle. So whats the balanced answer? Can you get to a show and get dinner in the MDR every night? Thanks

I pre-booked shows on line a few weeks before boarding Iona.

When we got on Iona in March I got the My Holiday app put on my phone at the help desk and sat down and booked all of our dining on the app. 

We always have room service breakfast so didn't bother booking breakfast.

For lunch we preferred going to the Quays for Fish and chips or the Asian stir fry dishes.

Edited by grapau27
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Infuriating indeed!   I have a John Lewis credit card with which you get vouchers (essentially cash) 3 times a year according to your spend.   Can’t use them in a Waitrose though if there is any alcohol in the order.  😢

Or on anything with sugar in I presume. They charge extra for full fat cola as well!

I am a moderate woman but I have just spent the afternoon shouting expletives at the Tv screen. Yet more tax!

On 12/14/2022 at 3:24 PM, Eglesbrech said:

A certain old misery guts up here who doesn,t like anyone enjoying themselves doesn’t allow discounts on alchol. It’s really annoying when the supermarkets are advertising these discounts but we don’t get them.

You are not losing out, but in fact gaining.

Most national retailers simply abandon the tricksy marketing ‘up there’ and simply sell at the lower price without the fake discounts or the multi-buy requirement.

For example a national wine warehouse that offers a discount if you buy six bottles simply charges an equivalent lower price on individual bottles ‘up there’.

The only thing is the minimum price still needs to be met, but that is rarely any issue for most.

33 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

So two lots of shopping on the conveyor belt; one with alcohol and one without. If they want to play silly games…

1 minute ago, 9265359 said:

Most national retailers simply abandon the tricksy marketing ‘up there’ and simply sell at the lower price without the fake discounts or the multi-buy requirement.

For example a national wine warehouse that offers a discount if you buy six bottles simply charges an equivalent lower price on individual bottles ‘up there’.

The only thing is the minimum price still needs to be met, but that is rarely any issue for most.

So two lots of shopping on the conveyor belt; one with alcohol and one without. If they want to play silly games…

Sorry I don’t agree. I have seen some of the wines I drink advertised at lower costs for example Chablis with a 25% discount (which is too expensive for the tax to affect so I simply pay 25% more for no good reason, it does not reduce alchol intake, it just costs more).

I do however agree re the silly games, one has to become adept at it 😀

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I pre-booked shows on line a few weeks before boarding Iona.

When we got on Iona in March I got the My Holiday app put on my phone at the help desk and sat down and booked all of our dining on the app. 

For lunch we preferred going to the Quays for Fish and chips or the Asian stir fry dishes.

How do you do that in advance Graham?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

How do you do that in advance Graham?

I am registered with P&O for emails and received emails letting me book shows and excursions.

If you go into your P&O account it asks for your surname,sail date and booking reference and the options are there too.

It doesn't let you pre-book speciality restaurants it just says Enquire on board.

For the App on board.

Turn on Airplane mode.

Turn on WiFi and connect to P&O guest WiFi.

Fill in your name 

Booking reference number 

Date of birth 

Cabin charge reference number which is the last 6 numbers on your onboard check in paper bar code which is the same as what is on your cabin key card so you can work the app before getting your cabin key.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 9265359 said:

So far as the national wine warehouse you mention - you are right.  They do adjust their per bottle price.  Which is where the multiple purchase rule becomes ridiculous as you could buy as many half dozen bottles as you want.  Not all retailers follow this though and as regards two separate trolley shops this doesn’t work for me as I have wine by home delivery as I don’t have a car now!  
Enjoy Madeira and the Canaries - I am not at all envious!  🤢🥶

It appears that the temperature has risen since I put the recycling bins out, the outdoor thermometer was reading -5C, just been out to put bag from kitchen bin in general waste bin and noticed it’s now -2C, not that I noticed any difference.

Seems straw is in short supply around here been trying to get a bag to stuff the remaining Bell Cloches with so I can cover up the remaining dahlias, which the frost has killed off the foliage this week. I think people have been buying it up to keep their rabbits/hamsters/ 

Guinea pigs warm. 

Just had an email from Toyota to say my new car is in transit to dealer, after being stuck in Zeebrugge for 3 weeks is finally on its way, I might yet get it before Christmas.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Graham, unless you have a suite, the room service breakfast is normally pretty awful, iirc. Just a few pastries and no hot drinks. 

Our preferred option ( well, actually Mrs W's instructions ) is that she makes the tea, whilst I go to the buffet and return with a full collation of pastries,  meats, cheese, ham etc. I normally have to go twice as I will have forgotten something obvious,  such as tomatoes to go with the cheese ! 

• Like 1

Well the severe weather warning “ding” on my ipad woke me up. For once it was correct as the snow is tumbling down fast and the world is white.

Won’t  be going anywhere today, the cars are hidden under a blanket of snow. I may however go into the garden and make a snowman!

According to the forecast most of the U.K. is in for much the same weather.

Thankfully all our deliveries were yesterday as nothing will come today. We have had no mail in about a week and so far in December only a handful of Christmas cards. I sent mine out at the start of December 1st class and many still haven’t arrived. 

My Turkey is coming next week from a farm a few miles up the road via the butcher so at least Christmas dinner will arrive on time. The local butcher also does all the trimmings and delivers.

Stay safe if you have to drive anywhere today and stay home if it’s not necessary to go out.

• Like 10

We have another very cold day again today,  I haven't been outside yet but the met office site is saying -7 at the moment rising to 0.  I just opened the curtains and everything is frost covered again this morning.  I definitely don't miss having to go out to work in this sort of weather. 

One of my sisters is picking me up to go for lunch, I'm glad that it isn't my turn to go round picking everyone up, especially as I live nearest to where we are going today, so will be the last picked up and first dropped off.

Take care everyone who has to go out and stay warm whatever you are doing.

• Like 8

It's -4˚C here... a clear morning with a bright moon and stars. Our new draft proofing and new double-glazed units are really making a difference. Discovered yesterday that the geezer who fitted our kitchen years ago had cut corners with the extractor fan and didn't fit an exhaust duct... we've been pumping steam etc into a cavity wall for years... and all of the cold air from that wall has been draining down into our kitchen. Bubble wrap now in hole... parts due to day... and one name off the future Christmas card list.

Our grocery delivery is on it's way. Ninety-eight items ordered ... six like for like substitutions and only one item, red cabbage, unavailable and so we can live without that.

We had fresh fish on order to be delivered on the 21st for Christmas Eve. It was dumped on the doorstep yesterday... problem? No freezer space. The company claimed that their delivery slots had been capped and as it was frozen food, they would send it early... but they've been emailing me twice a day offering Christmas deliveries and I could have booked one for when our original delivery was due. Result... full refund... fish sent back... new supplier engaged... new order for identical items due exactly when we needed it. And one company won't be having our custom in the future.

But... had an "face to face" with my GP for an annual review... confirmed that I'm still alive and well and this is not some sort of virtual reality. Always good to have confirmation. However disappointed that Claret is still not prescribed on the NHS.

So feeling rather "empowered" this morning. It promises to be a bright, crisp, clear day and so, with luck... after the grocery delivery is stowed away, we're off up to the heath for a wander in winter wonderland...

From the weather forecast for Sunday it looks as if we'll be here at home doing our best impressions of bugs in rugs this weekend... so shall experiment with survival tactics based on mulled wine, mince pies,  our "Cliff at Christmas" CD, old Christmas movies, a 15 tog duvet and a pair of Hotties.

P.S. For those that don't know, Hotties are the modern equivalent of hot water bottles... available in all good pharmacies... other brands are available... microwave essential (never tried an air fryer)  just don't want anybody who remembers the 70s to get the wrong impression!

P.P.S. CD?... every time someone mentions, "Bluetooth" we still think he's one of Captain Hook's pirates!

Edited by twotravellersLondon
  • Like 8

-7 here at the moment but has risen a degree the last hour or so, that should be the end of the extreme night temperatures for the foreseeable.

I’m meeting up this afternoon with some ex work colleagues (I retired a few years ago) for a few drinks I’m really looking forward to meeting them again and catching up with company news and gossip.

Edited by Splice the mainbrace
  • Like 6

52 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

It's -4˚C here... a clear morning with a bright moon and stars. Our new draft proofing and new double-glazed units are really making a difference. Discovered yesterday that the geezer who fitted our kitchen years ago had cut corners with the extractor fan and didn't fit an exhaust duct... we've been pumping steam etc into a cavity wall for years... and all of the cold air from that wall has been draining down into our kitchen. Bubble wrap now in hole... parts due to day... and one name off the future Christmas card list.

Our grocery delivery is on it's way. Ninety-eight items ordered ... six like for like substitutions and only one item, red cabbage, unavailable and so we can live without that.

We had fresh fish on order to be delivered on the 21st for Christmas Eve. It was dumped on the doorstep yesterday... problem? No freezer space. The company claimed that their delivery slots had been capped and as it was frozen food, they would send it early... but they've been emailing me twice a day offering Christmas deliveries and I could have booked one for when our original delivery was due. Result... full refund... fish sent back... new supplier engaged... new order for identical items due exactly when we needed it. And one company won't be having our custom in the future.

But... had an "face to face" with my GP for an annual review... confirmed that I'm still alive and well and this is not some sort of virtual reality. Always good to have confirmation. However disappointed that Claret is still not prescribed on the NHS.

So feeling rather "empowered" this morning. It promises to be a bright, crisp, clear day and so, with luck... after the grocery delivery is stowed away, we're off up to the heath for a wander in winter wonderland...

From the weather forecast for Sunday it looks as if we'll be here at home doing our best impressions of bugs in rugs this weekend... so shall experiment with survival tactics based on mulled wine, mince pies,  our "Cliff at Christmas" CD, old Christmas movies, a 15 tog duvet and a pair of Hotties.

P.S. For those that don't know, Hotties are the modern equivalent of hot water bottles... available in all good pharmacies... other brands are available... microwave essential (never tried an air fryer)  just don't want anybody who remembers the 70s to get the wrong impression!

P.P.S. CD?... every time someone mentions, "Bluetooth" we still think he's one of Captain Hook's pirates!

If I had a fresh fish on my doorstep in Calabria,I'd be worried.

• Haha 7

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Graham, unless you have a suite, the room service breakfast is normally pretty awful, iirc. Just a few pastries and no hot drinks. 

Our preferred option ( well, actually Mrs W's instructions ) is that she makes the tea, whilst I go to the buffet and return with a full collation of pastries,  meats, cheese, ham etc. I normally have to go twice as I will have forgotten something obvious,  such as tomatoes to go with the cheese ! 

Fruit plates, muesli, muffins, pastries and glasses of orange juice is fine and we eat them on the balcony.

There are plenty of tea and coffee satchets and kettle to make our own hot drinks.

There is always food available in the buffet or pool grills if we want something later.

• Like 6

Looks like a bright start to the day, only -3C here this morning, a promise of 2C later, looking ahead to Monday when the “heatwave” kicks in at 14C! No minus figures on the forecast from Monday to Thursday, should save on the heating bill.

Shopping delivery this morning, 0 substitutions and 0 unavailable items, first time for a couple of weeks, although when adding a final few items last there were a lot of out of stock items, one item reminded me of The Stranglers song, No More Heroes, completely sold out of them, opted for Celebrations instead.

Off to see my granddaughter later today on her 7th Birthday, she doesn’t live far away. 

Try to sort one set of Christmas light out today, which have randomly switch on this morning, but didn’t work last night, think the in built timer has been affected by the cold, will remove batteries to hopefully reset. 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Looks like a bright start to the day, only -3C here this morning, a promise of 2C later, looking ahead to Monday when the “heatwave” kicks in at 14C! No minus figures on the forecast from Monday to Thursday, should save on the heating bill.

Shopping delivery this morning, 0 substitutions and 0 unavailable items, first time for a couple of weeks, although when adding a final few items last there were a lot of out of stock items, one item reminded me of The Stranglers song, No More Heroes, completely sold out of them, opted for Celebrations instead.

Off to see my granddaughter later today on her 7th Birthday, she doesn’t live far away. 

Try to sort one set of Christmas light out today, which have randomly switch on this morning, but didn’t work last night, think the in built timer has been affected by the cold, will remove batteries to hopefully reset. 

Happy 7th birthday wishes for your dear granddaughter.

animated-Happy-Birthday-candles-gif.gif

• Like 1

-4.c outside this morning ,so glad we defrosted the car and did our Christmas card run 

yesterday and then Tesco to top up on a few low salt and sugar products we use.

Todays tasks will be Mrs K going to the dustbin at some point and making sure that 

the wildlife birds have a supply of fresh water and not a block of ice. Apart from that 

I'm looking forward to the pan of stew that is now a day old ,it always tastes better

the day after .

Mrs K has just done the bird water and they are on it already .

Keep safe and keep warm 😊

• Like 7

Cold and a heavy frost here this morning with a temp of 0c with a feel of -2. No heating on this morning as plumber rang yesterday afternoon to arrange to come and service the boiler first thing. 

My granddaughter is coming here after school at lunchtime to help with the packing of the Christmas boxes for the local food bank. 

I've got a day of baking planned as we're having a family get together after Christmas and I want to get ahead with some of the food, at least that will keep me warm.

Have a good day everyone and stay warm.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

-4.c outside this morning ,so glad we defrosted the car and did our Christmas card run 

yesterday and then Tesco to top up on a few low salt and sugar products we use.

Todays tasks will be Mrs K going to the dustbin at some point and making sure that 

the wildlife birds have a supply of fresh water and not a block of ice. Apart from that 

I'm looking forward to the pan of stew that is now a day old ,it always tastes better

the day after .

Mrs K has just done the bird water and they are on it already .

Keep safe and keep warm 😊

Stay  safe while you watch Mrs K going  to the dustbin check the birds water.  We use a bird bath for that. Your lucky, I defrosted the car yesterday and the blooming thing has frosted up again this morning. Off to see DW's family for lunch, so will turn off the smart meter while we are out. That should save a few bob and pay for the diesel.🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1