P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

@lincslady

I've have had problems with my BP since I was 34 (thanks mum)🙄, and have been on various BP meds since 1987.   The beta blocker type are bad for me as I feel like I'm wading through treacle. I've settled now on Candasarten, an ace inhibitor, for quite a few years now, although the dosage has increased over time. My GP says 140/70 is ok for me.

I've had these occasional blips over the years during some difficult times but always get over it🤞

Your experience with the 200/100 is why I monitor at home, as that's what happens with me when I have it taken at the GP's. Strange that I should develope 'white coat syndrome' after all these years🤔

Certain Thai Chi movements which I'm doing help to lower my BP and I shall try @Eglesbrech recommended Hibiscus tea when it arrives today. 

Avril

• Like 7

Thanks, Avril.  Yes, I am on candesartan too, but now also a beta blocker and blood 'thinner' having been diagnosed with atrial fibrillation - awaiting an echocardiogram, 7 months waiting list.  My bp is always fine at home, and not too bad at the GP, but I just got really anxious in what felt like an A and E atmosphere; silly me.  And yes, 140/70 or even up to 80 is considered acceptable for the over 70s.  I hope the hibiscus tea is a help; sounds interesting.  I don't usually think much about it, just take bp at home about once a week, as apart from very occasional rapid beats no real symptoms.  We are lucky actually that there are drugs which help so much, many years ago we might not even be here!

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Thanks, Avril.  Yes, I am on candesartan too, but now also a beta blocker and blood 'thinner' having been diagnosed with atrial fibrillation - awaiting an echocardiogram, 7 months waiting list.  My bp is always fine at home, and not too bad at the GP, but I just got really anxious in what felt like an A and E atmosphere; silly me.  And yes, 140/70 or even up to 80 is considered acceptable for the over 70s.  I hope the hibiscus tea is a help; sounds interesting.  I don't usually think much about it, just take bp at home about once a week, as apart from very occasional rapid beats no real symptoms.  We are lucky actually that there are drugs which help so much, many years ago we might not even be here!

BP numbers vary  with whomever you speak to.

My gp says average numbers for our age group is 140/70, the doctor who dealt with Frank while in hospital says 150/80 and the health visitor who came to see Frank after he was discharged says 160/80🤔

However, my BIL spent 14 months on various BP meds trying to raise his BP to an 'acceptable' level, only for them to realise he has a naturally low BP.🙄

So who can say what a 'normal' reading for any one person should be?😁 

Avril

• Like 5

Goodness all this BP talk can get confusing.  Mine has been high for yeas,but then got a bit stable.The problem is trying to get information especially regarding my recent event.

I was sitting watching morning TV when I felt weird.  It didn't feel like a heart attack, but was scary.  I took my BP and it had dropped dramatically and was 76/50 and continued dropping into the 60s.  I phoned GP but calls only taken between 10.30 and 12.

I sat quietly and it went up slowly  so I rang 111 who said I needed to see my Doctor and they would arrange it.  They rang to say they couldn't get a reply either (ridiculous when professionals can't contact each other urgently)Next day a nurse rang and said to reduce BP tablets.  I decided to use common sense and while mine is a lovely 120/70 I won't take them but speak to her when she rings.

My problem is... at what point do I ring for help or go to A and E.   No-one can give me an answer.   BP at 76/50 or 60/44 is scary when not normal for me,   All ok now.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

On a more tasty subject than BP.  We have all heard of the ladies/people who go to Sl**ming W**ld then after the meeting go to McD's for a Big Mac and chips...well  I did something similar this morning

I made a big thing about we were going to try healthier eating.  I said I could have a lightly toasted bacon sandwich (some leftover in the fridge) but I would cut off all fat.  I painstakingly did that even though crispy fat is the best bit.  THEN I realised I had covered the toast in butter.

My healthier eating plan, which I had been on and on at OH about, was all over in 2minutes!😏😀

Edited by indiana123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

40 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

On a more tasty subject than BP.  We have all heard of the ladies/people who go to Sl**ming W**ld then after the meeting go to McD's for a Big Mac and chips...well  I did something similar this morning

I made a big thing about we were going to try healthier eating.  I said I could have a lightly toasted bacon sandwich (some leftover in the fridge) but I would cut off all fat.  I painstakingly did that even though crispy fat is the best bit.  THEN I realised I had covered the toast in butter.

My healthier eating plan, which I had been on and on at OH about, was all over in 2minutes!😏😀

Toast without butter. You may as well eat cardboard 😀

• Haha 5

More on BP tablets. There have been numerous problems with supply and on my return from Norway last month I had 1 tablet left. The surgery had said they would try to sort it before I returned. They sorted it, I have collected 3 prescriptions in the last 10 days and possess 20 weeks supply 🥳

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

BP numbers vary  with whomever you speak to.

My gp says average numbers for our age group is 140/70, the doctor who dealt with Frank while in hospital says 150/80 and the health visitor who came to see Frank after he was discharged says 160/80🤔

However, my BIL spent 14 months on various BP meds trying to raise his BP to an 'acceptable' level, only for them to realise he has a naturally low BP.🙄

So who can say what a 'normal' reading for any one person should be?😁 

Avril

My GP says that 150/80 is OK for over 80s, if only mine would stay below that!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Afternoon all. I’m sick of this weather, lots of very heavy rain today but now it’s sunny!

It would have been my Dad’s 87th birthday today so I’ve been thinking of him a lot today. We actually went to their flat today and had a bit more of a clear out.

Our local Beefeater is closing soon, was a bit of a shock as it’s been there years, long before they stuck a Premier Inn next to it.

Hope your low mood improves soon Avril, I can’t believe we’re in July.

Oh no, is that the Manor Farm that's closing? We haven't been for a couple of years, but it was our go-to place for meals for many years, right back to the 80's

Do you know when it's closing? 

Sorry to hear of everyone's health problems - my husband has had an interesting 4 weeks on the health front.

He developed an abscess on a very awkward part of his anatomy (basically next to his anus, sorry if too much information).  It got so big and painful, I ended up having to take him to A&E, and they kept him in overnight so they could drain it.  He's had daily visits from a district nurse, to tend to the wound, and is now on weekly visits to the wound clinic, and appears to be healing well.

If that wasn't enough, he got really constipated. They prescribed a laxative, which didn't have much effect, and the contents of his bowel got impacted, so he was told to increase the amount of laxative that he was taking. That did the trick....... just think of the word 'tsunami'  !!   He's just about back to normal in the bowels department! 

He's so much better now, but it has been bad for him.

We have been fortunate up until now as we've not often been ill, but it has been a bit of an eye opener.  The last time I needed a prescription, I just took the prescription to the local pharmacy and only had to wait about 5 minutes. Nowadays, there's queues out the door and you feel lucky if you only wait 30 minutes. Also, when phoning the doctor, they automatically refer you to NHS 111, it's impossible to get an appointment without jumping through hoops, which is the last thing people want to do when they are unwell.

Let's hope our new government really can get the NHS fixed! 

• Like 5

We are lucky. When it comes to getting prescriptions, our surgery sends the details to the pharmacy we have chose. My son then deals with it, at the pharmacy where he works and brings them home.

Children have their uses, sometimes!😊

• Like 4

3 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Agree... absolutely😀  but not the amount I slathered on it!!!😊

Ah, so you love your butter too?

Frank tells me I only use bread to hold my butter on.😁  True of course, but only unsalted now😉

Avril

• Like 4

Good afternoon.

We've been pottering in the garden for most of the afternoon, it's been a pleasant day.

I checked my BP berore I went and it was still high,187/98.

I planted up some tubs with stocks that have been waiting to be done for over a fortnight, and then we put in six lavender bushes to make a lavender bed, hoping it will help reduce some of the weeding jobs.

I iook my BP when i came in and it's now a lovely 134/68...YES!!!!!!!

I'm now having a cup of @Eglesbrech's hibiscus tea, which is quite nice. A slightly sharp earthy flavour, but very refreshing.

The weather tomorrow is not so good so I might do some baking to keep positive.

Spaghetti Bolognese for dinner tonight so I'd better shake myself and get the sauce cooking.

I hope you all have a lovely evening.

Avril

• Like 12

25 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm now having a cup of @Eglesbrech's hibiscus tea, which is quite nice. A slightly sharp earthy flavour, but very refreshing.

You hadn’t even drunk the tea and it frightened your blood pressure down.😀 that’s excellent news re the healthy reading.

I’m a great believer in natural remedies (along side good old GP prescribed medication).

I take dandelion tea with me if we go to hot countries as I tend to swell a bit in the heat and it’s a fantastic (gentle) natural diuretic.

I also love matcha green tea but only drink the organic variety, ceremonial grade. I never liked it as it always had a residue until I found a modern gizmo for mixing which cuts out the faff and makes a cup with no glup left at the end. I have little Japanese cups to sip it from. It’s a once a day thing as it has a lot of caffeine but also a lot of healthy antioxidants.

The thing about all these teas is that they make you sit down and properly chill while sipping them. There is a mindfulness about it as an activity and I sometimes wonder if that has as much impact on my BP as the tea does. That said the hibiscus definitely knocked it down a bit, hope it does the same for you.

• Like 2

You and I, Avril, both suffer from what is called labile blood pressure.  Just means it goes up and down like a seesaw, and applies only to the  very best people.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of everyone's ailments, side effect of getting old. 

A lovely sunny day here, we have spent most of the day either sitting in the garden or out walking. Whether it is a boil on the bum or high blood pressure I hope everyone bears up. 

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, lincslady said:

You and I, Avril, both suffer from what is called labile blood pressure.  Just means it goes up and down like a seesaw, and applies only to the  very best people.

Oh, but of course. If one must have an ailment, then one simply must only have the very best.☺️

Avril

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

You hadn’t even drunk the tea and it frightened your blood pressure down.😀 that’s excellent news re the healthy reading.

I’m a great believer in natural remedies (along side good old GP prescribed medication).

I take dandelion tea with me if we go to hot countries as I tend to swell a bit in the heat and it’s a fantastic (gentle) natural diuretic.

I also love matcha green tea but only drink the organic variety, ceremonial grade. I never liked it as it always had a residue until I found a modern gizmo for mixing which cuts out the faff and makes a cup with no glup left at the end. I have little Japanese cups to sip it from. It’s a once a day thing as it has a lot of caffeine but also a lot of healthy antioxidants.

The thing about all these teas is that they make you sit down and properly chill while sipping them. There is a mindfulness about it as an activity and I sometimes wonder if that has as much impact on my BP as the tea does. That said the hibiscus definitely knocked it down a bit, hope it does the same for you.

I think finally getting off my bum, doing a little exercise and stopping feeling  so sorry for myself did the trick.

One of my BP meds is Indapamide so I don't think a natural deuretic  would be wise.

My favourite tea is Chrysanthemum,but it's a pain to prepare. I tried looking for bags, but no joy.

Avril

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I think finally getting off my bum, doing a little exercise and stopping feeling  so sorry for myself did the trick.

One of my BP meds is Indapamide so I don't think a natural deuretic  would be wise.

My favourite tea is Chrysanthemum,but it's a pain to prepare. I tried looking for bags, but no joy.

Avril

They do the bud type in bags on amazon if you have an account.

I’m glad to you are feeling more positive and healthy.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Goodness all this BP talk can get confusing.  Mine has been high for yeas,but then got a bit stable.The problem is trying to get information especially regarding my recent event.

I was sitting watching morning TV when I felt weird.  It didn't feel like a heart attack, but was scary.  I took my BP and it had dropped dramatically and was 76/50 and continued dropping into the 60s.  I phoned GP but calls only taken between 10.30 and 12.

I sat quietly and it went up slowly  so I rang 111 who said I needed to see my Doctor and they would arrange it.  They rang to say they couldn't get a reply either (ridiculous when professionals can't contact each other urgently)Next day a nurse rang and said to reduce BP tablets.  I decided to use common sense and while mine is a lovely 120/70 I won't take them but speak to her when she rings.

My problem is... at what point do I ring for help or go to A and E.   No-one can give me an answer.   BP at 76/50 or 60/44 is scary when not normal for me,   All ok now.

In my job I take calls by patients with long term conditions. I spoke to one lady the other day whose BP was very similar to yours. I sent a message to the cardiac nurse and when the nurse called her back she told her to go to A&E!