P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Dull and warm here, we had our breakfast run into Barnsley this morning and a visit to the library. Mrs YP has put the washing out so I better keep watch as it will be my fault if it rains and I don't bring it in😉.

Great game of football last night, somehow I don't think it will be anything like as exiting tonight, but as long as we win that is fine. 

• Like 7

Just packed our bags for our Scottish adventure and totally at a loss what to take!  Looks like two dry days, the rest hovering between Cloudy with showers, drizzle and downpours.  Friday looks the best day and as I'm on my own that day (typical) as my husband is going across to Glasgow for a client visit I've booked myself a hire car to visit the Falkirk Wheel, Kelpies and Linlithgow which I didn't make last month from Queen Anne.  I hope Miss Google can help me get there okay or I might get very lost!

Flying out of Heathrow tomorrow - fingers crossed - BA just emailed to say the flight is now full due to people rebooking from the fiasco earlier in the week.  Couldn't even get seats together when I looked earlier in the week so we are stuck in rows 21 and 23 right near the back.  They've also asked we check our hand luggage free of charge so it sounds like it isn't going to be much fun! Our original flight changed a month back and this one is two hours later so it will fall into the interesting category.

Saturday is Edinburgh Castle Paul Weller day, forecast is damp and drizzle until 7.00pm, hopefully dry after that so fingers crossed.  I've been distracted so forgot to book anything for food but have just reserved somewhere called The White Hart for an early meal before the concert.  It claims to be the oldest pub in Edinburgh, but I've visited so many "oldest pubs" over the years I can't help but wonder!  The Scottish menu looks interesting though with plenty of Cullen skink and haggis, I just hope it is good as I'm in trouble for forgetting to organise food whilst in Edinburgh - I'm told rather sarcastically that if we can't find something tomorrow there's McDonalds on Queen Street ...

Hope everyone is on the mend, blood pressures are normalising and that England surprise us all and play like Brazil '70!  Have a great day all.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

I used to leave mine on sleep too until my grandson told me that's the worst thing to do. I should shut it down every night to give the software time to sort itself and do any upgrades, otherwise it gets clogged up with rubbish, slow down and will eventually ''spazz out'' his words😏

I also had a habit of leaving it on charge, even though it was fully charged, which I'm told is a big no no and the fastest way to ruin the battery. 

So now I do as I'm told😇

Avril

My laptop was born in 2010 and it has always been plugged in, mainly because the battery always needed charging fairly regularly, and it still says the battery is in excellent condition.

However I now use my phone or tablet for most on-line activity, the laptop now only gets used for MS office activity.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lincslady said:

Good morning from a fellow member.  My laptop is going slow, I think it I bunged up with stuff so I think if I switch it off and leave for a while it will come back up to speed.  We will see.  Normally leave it on sleep - wish I could do the same for myself!

If you clear your cookies .If may not speed up your computer, but a few extra biscuits always helps.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Good morning everyone, hope you are all ok today.

I am not a football fan but hubby is so we will be definitely watching tonight, fingers crossed for an England win.

I sympathise about the sleep, I am there too. Since taking me off HRT last year after finding early breast cancer all the menopausal symptoms have returned - it’s horrible, - toohot - too cold etc etc - you ladies will know what I mean

It’s my mums 90th birthday today, I have booked an afternoon tea at her favourite place, Clifton Arms Hotel in Lytham this afternoon. 

Have a good day everyone 

Michelle

Happy 90th birthday to your dear mam today Michelle.

Screenshot_20240710_121705.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

My laptop was born in 2010 and it has always been plugged in, mainly because the battery always needed charging fairly regularly, and it still says the battery is in excellent condition.

However I now use my phone or tablet for most on-line activity, the laptop now only gets used for MS office activity.

My desktop died a few years ago after the motherboard failed, fortunately I had a backup of the hard drive so I was able to transfer data across to new Windows 11 Laptop.  The recommendation is not to keep the laptop plugged in and run off the battery until around 20% left. 

I switch mine off after use and regularly clear cache & cookies and clear temp files regularly to keep the laptop running smoothly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A day out in Birmingham today for my birthday, lunch then a theatre trip to the Hippodrome to see Hamilton, which we thoroughly enjoyed, a very powerful musical which draws from various music genres. 

Back home now getting ready to watch England v Netherlands. 

• Like 8

I think I've got a new hero! Great goal Ollie. Who would have thought at the beginning of this tournament that we would be in the final. Yaaaaaay (again). Jane xx

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

A day out in Birmingham today for my birthday, lunch then a theatre trip to the Hippodrome to see Hamilton, which we thoroughly enjoyed, a very powerful musical which draws from various music genres. 

Back home now getting ready to watch England v Netherlands. 

We saw Hamilton earlier this year for the second time. It is an amazing show.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beckett said:

I think I've got a new hero! Great goal Ollie. Who would have thought at the beginning of this tournament that we would be in the final. Yaaaaaay (again). Jane xx

I don’t tend to watch watch football  but just seen the 90th minute goal on the 10pm news. That was skilful.

• Like 5

Well I’m home back from visiting family and had a lovely time, dad had a great 90th birthday party with 30 guests and a singer for entertainment. Weather was hot and too hot at times, I only went to the beach once for two hours and got burnt, had my obligatory fall down the stairs again ( it’s those spainish stairs) and  now covered in bruises again 😂 , great atmosphere in town last night at the restaurant with the football going on and the owner said we will be playing England in the final and he was correct!! I think England played very well tonight.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Purdey16 said:

Well I’m home back from visiting family and had a lovely time, dad had a great 90th birthday party with 30 guests and a singer for entertainment. Weather was hot and too hot at times, I only went to the beach once for two hours and got burnt, had my obligatory fall down the stairs again ( it’s those spainish stairs) and  now covered in bruises again 😂 , great atmosphere in town last night at the restaurant with the football going on and the owner said we will be playing England in the final and he was correct!! I think England played very well tonight.

I have to admit not watching the football except for ten minutes tonight. I switched it off then due to total boredom. The games remind me of the old adage....'footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they are injured whilst Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending not to be injured.' Having played and watched the game for 65 years I have to agree!

• Like 1

14c and mizzly drizzly. Unfortunately it’s forecast to stay like this for much of the day here, we’ll see, hopefully not. My son is off to the Goodwood festival of speed today the weather is expected to be sunny and warm down there today.

A great result for England football last night it shows how you’re more likely to score if you get an early shot away rather than tippy tap it around the penalty area. Also a good start for Gus Atkinson for England (and wales) cricket team, got 7 wickets and 3 in 4 balls at one stage on his test debut. What with last weekends Grand Prix, football, cricket, tennis and Tour de France with the Open golf next week it is a very tiring time of year. I guess I’ll just have to stay on the sofa to recover 😓

Edited by Splice the mainbrace
  • Like 8
  • Haha 3

Morning all.

Two days of warm, sunny day weather in a row, 😲 also expected to get up to 18c again! Will make the most of it as we have rain in the forecast for tomorrow.

A trip out to B&Q and Tesco is on the cards for today, and then will make the most of the warm weather in the garden this afternoon.

Hope everyone has a good day.

• Like 8

Good morning all.

A bit of a drizzly morning here at the moment, but it looks a though it may brighten up later.

Ok, here's something for all you football aficionados. 

I've not watched football for quite a while now, ever since they began playing for Oscars  instead of trophies. However I do keep an eye on the England games and I have a question. Who honestly believes that England shouldn't have been awarded a penalty? The argument being that there was a handball by Saka  in the penalty area before the foul that resulted in the penalty. Now, I've watched that over and over again and I see the ball hitting Saka's upper arm/shoulder/chest area, NOT the hand, and he was trying to avoid the ball hitting him. 

Do the Dutch have a genuine complaint? I don't think they do, we won fair and square, or is it just sour grapes (or should I say hard cheese) from a team that thought they were better than England.

One final question.  Don't the rules state that an accidental handball is not  a foul? something like that, or am I confused with something else.

Avril

• Like 6

Good morning.

It is cloudy and 13°C here.

Great result last night.

Feeling lethargic today and just had a late porridge breakfast.

Nothing planned for today.

I hope everyone is feeling well and looking forward to a relaxing day.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Just packed our bags for our Scottish adventure and totally at a loss what to take!  Looks like two dry days, the rest hovering between Cloudy with showers, drizzle and downpours.  Friday looks the best day and as I'm on my own that day (typical) as my husband is going across to Glasgow for a client visit I've booked myself a hire car to visit the Falkirk Wheel, Kelpies and Linlithgow which I didn't make last month from Queen Anne.  I hope Miss Google can help me get there okay or I might get very lost!

Flying out of Heathrow tomorrow - fingers crossed - BA just emailed to say the flight is now full due to people rebooking from the fiasco earlier in the week.  Couldn't even get seats together when I looked earlier in the week so we are stuck in rows 21 and 23 right near the back.  They've also asked we check our hand luggage free of charge so it sounds like it isn't going to be much fun! Our original flight changed a month back and this one is two hours later so it will fall into the interesting category.

Saturday is Edinburgh Castle Paul Weller day, forecast is damp and drizzle until 7.00pm, hopefully dry after that so fingers crossed.  I've been distracted so forgot to book anything for food but have just reserved somewhere called The White Hart for an early meal before the concert.  It claims to be the oldest pub in Edinburgh, but I've visited so many "oldest pubs" over the years I can't help but wonder!  The Scottish menu looks interesting though with plenty of Cullen skink and haggis, I just hope it is good as I'm in trouble for forgetting to organise food whilst in Edinburgh - I'm told rather sarcastically that if we can't find something tomorrow there's McDonalds on Queen Street ...

Hope everyone is on the mend, blood pressures are normalising and that England surprise us all and play like Brazil '70!  Have a great day all.

I hope you have a great holiday in that Scotland. Sitting apart on the plane is DW's objective. A couple of suggestions.  Take an English flag to wave when you watch the football and a Woking banner to celebrate Paul Weller. 🤣

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Good morning all.

A bit of a drizzly morning here at the moment, but it looks a though it may brighten up later.

Ok, here's something for all you football aficionados. 

I've not watched football for quite a while now, ever since they began playing for Oscars  instead of trophies. However I do keep an eye on the England games and I have a question. Who honestly believes that England shouldn't have been awarded a penalty? The argument being that there was a handball by Saka  in the penalty area before the foul that resulted in the penalty. Now, I've watched that over and over again and I see the ball hitting Saka's upper arm/shoulder/chest area, NOT the hand, and he was trying to avoid the ball hitting him. 

Do the Dutch have a genuine complaint? I don't think they do, we won fair and square, or is it just sour grapes (or should I say hard cheese) from a team that thought they were better than England.

One final question.  Don't the rules state that an accidental handball is not  a foul? something like that, or am I confused with something else.

Avril

I’ve been watching football all of my life and the modern interpretation of the handball law is baffling to me at times. It used to be a deliberate movement of the arm / hand towards the ball, now it is if a ball strikes the arm in an ‘unnatural’ position, why is such a position just being static away from the body.?

• Like 4

We are now laughing at our antics yesterday!

We fancied a coffee so popped into Greggs for coffee and a sausage roll.   OH then decided to drive to  a local Country Park\Quay. (I was  holding one coffee)

I joked asking him if his intentions in the Country Park  were honourable etc,  sadly they were, although I can't repeat his reply.  

Suddenly there was a big speed bump and down onto my lap loads of the scolding  coffee went went.  I yelled stop, park, help.  He pointed to a bottle of water in the side panel.    Well he parked near some trees,but even so, goodness knows what anyone thought.   Me trying to get my trousers down, still in the car,  throwing a bottle of water at my legs, then squirming trying to get wet trousers up.  I think our street cred would have gone up.. two old dodderers trying to have fun🤣🤣We dream!!

Luckily I think our quick action worked.  A bit of redness but all well.  Mind you the ride home was uncomfortable, wet trousers and drawers and wet seat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 15