P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

14 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Which alert is everyone going to be ?

alert. Synonyms: active, brisk, nimble, prepared, prompt, vigilant, ready, wakeful, watchful, on the watch, lively

it is too confusing for me, I will have to Stay Home 🤔

I am all of those, but will still stay at home!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Andy, if these stores were not compelled to close initially, then surely if they can now exercise safe social distancing  there is nothing wrong with them reopening.

They were compelled to close as all non essential retail was as non essential journeys. They are using the 'if you can't work from home' get out. 

I don't mind who opens, we just all need to be playing on a level field. 

Andy 

Quite a few of our neighbours struggled with the whole social distancing concept on VE Day, so a mere "Stay Alert" would be an invitation for more stupidity. One family posted invitations to everyone saying  lets have a VE Day picnic on our own drives which would have been lovely except 10 minutes in about 7 or 8 households had gathered around 2 drives, blocked the road off to traffic and weren't staying 2 metres apart at all. We stayed on our drive for a bit but got really uncomfortable with what was going on so went indoors. A few hours and several bottles later people outside were hugging &  dancing not to mention falling over. One family invited grown up children round and a few people from other roads ended up joining in. I probably sound like a miserable moany neighbour, I'm really not though, any other time I would have joined in but it was just irresponsible under the circumstances. Apparently the police were called but I'm not sure if any police officers turned up.

The same people will be out clapping loudly on Thursday no doubt. I wanted to tell them that a man we know of in his 50's living, 3 streets away,  died of Covid-19 a few days ago, no underlying health conditions as far as we know, but they were too pickled to have cared probably.

I'm missing my daughter and new Grandson, the same as everyone else is and I actually had a cry indoors seeing people mixing with family members who shouldn't have been there. 

Sorry to moan but after 7 weeks I'm having a little wobble!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Figures are totally meaningless unless everyone is recording all to the same rules which some countries are clearly not. It has become very political and how you count the number of deaths and which ones you do and dont include is a waste of time and of no comparison. 

5 hours ago, kalos said:

The NHS have my sympathy ,we just knew this was going to happen and will be replicated at most A&E's 

up and down the country.

They will have the nerve to stand clapping again this Thursday night ... unbelievable !

Everyone of those people should have been given a fine, not just there but every A&E across the country in the same situation. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Quite a few of our neighbours struggled with the whole social distancing concept on VE Day, so a mere "Stay Alert" would be an invitation for more stupidity. One family posted invitations to everyone saying  lets have a VE Day picnic on our own drives which would have been lovely except 10 minutes in about 7 or 8 households had gathered around 2 drives, blocked the road off to traffic and weren't staying 2 metres apart at all. We stayed on our drive for a bit but got really uncomfortable with what was going on so went indoors. A few hours and several bottles later people outside were hugging &  dancing not to mention falling over. One family invited grown up children round and a few people from other roads ended up joining in. I probably sound like a miserable moany neighbour, I'm really not though, any other time I would have joined in but it was just irresponsible under the circumstances. Apparently the police were called but I'm not sure if any police officers turned up.

The same people will be out clapping loudly on Thursday no doubt. I wanted to tell them that a man we know of in his 50's living, 3 streets away,  died of Covid-19 a few days ago, no underlying health conditions as far as we know, but they were too pickled to have cared probably.

I'm missing my daughter and new Grandson, the same as everyone else is and I actually had a cry indoors seeing people mixing with family members who shouldn't have been there. 

If you are moaning so am I, we had the same in our village. I can't understand the Almaty of some people.

• Like 4

Difficult to understand HM Govt here

Does anyone remember VE Day 1995, which would have been the 50th anniversary?  More logical time for ‘last celebration’ for those who were alive in 1945 etc.  I don’t remember street parties  etc then though

So, for whatever reason, this was planned**.  A late decision was made to change the BH from Mon to Fri (so late as to catch out many calendar manufacturers).

Then came Covid ....

All the VE stuff should have been shelved.  That would have been the responsible thing to do.  Instead we shall have another infection spike in a fortnight’s time.  A lot of old people, a number of chronically sick younger people, some health workers and even some fit and healthy under 40 will be affected  and a proportion of all of those will die.  And the fight against the virus will be set back by at least 2 weeks, probably more

But we had that 75 year VE party everyone was gagging for ...

** I have a good idea why. 🙄

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Does anyone remember VE Day 1995, which would have been the 50th anniversary?  More logical time for ‘last celebration’ for those who were alive in 1945 etc.  I don’t remember street parties  etc then though

So, for whatever reason, this was planned**.  A late decision was made to change the BH from Mon to Fri (so late as to catch out many calendar manufacturers).

Then came Covid ....

All the VE stuff should have been shelved.  That would have been the responsible thing to do.  Instead we shall have another infection spike in a fortnight’s time.  A lot of old people, a number of chronically sick younger people, some health workers and even some fit and healthy under 40 will be affected  and a proportion of all of those will die.  And the fight against the virus will be set back by at least 2 weeks, probably more

It's just foolishly trusting people to behave is the issue. 

Many celebrated and remembered sensibly, but, as always, some decided to push the boundaries... 

I'm glad the care home residents were able to remember their friends and family who served, they are being forgotten at the moment... 

Andy 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

If meaningless slogans are the way forward, here’s my favourite so far

8B6C5401-A6EE-4DB3-B95E-FBE5A5009A8E.jpeg

At 15.30 on ITV was an NHS advert about CV with the " old " slogan. In 3 1/2 hours it changes. Can you wonder why people get confused.🤔

3 minutes ago, bobupandown said:

If you are moaning so am I, we had the same in our village. I can't understand the Almaty of some people.

That’s the problem when a government sends out so many mixed messages. A few days ago all the signs were that a major relaxation was on the way, and at that point the daft new slogan was dreamed up and prepared for release, doubtless with the input of the delightful Dominic Cummings.

Then they spoke to Scotland and Wales, realised that neither was taking the same risky route, and backtracked to ensure some sort of cohesion.  But too late to change the slogan.

So now we have Policy Mark 2, with a slogan designed for Policy Mark 1, and yet another muddled message which will lead to people choosing what suits them best.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

That’s the problem when a government sends out so many mixed messages. A few days ago all the signs were that a major relaxation was on the way, and at that point the daft new slogan was dreamed up and prepared for release, doubtless with the input of the delightful Dominic Cummings.

Then they spoke to Scotland and Wales, realised that neither was taking the same risky route, and backtracked to ensure some sort of cohesion.  But too late to change the slogan.

So now we have Policy Mark 2, with a slogan designed for Policy Mark 1, and yet another muddled message which will lead to people choosing what suits them best.

The message up here is still very clear. “Stay at Home” written in very large letters behind the FM in her briefing  on BBC Scotland right now.

We are however now allowed to exercise out of doors more than once a day while maintaining social distances. Apart from that nothing up here has changed.

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

They were compelled to close as all non essential retail was as non essential journeys. They are using the 'if you can't work from home' get out. 

I don't mind who opens, we just all need to be playing on a level field. 

Andy 

I was  only repeating what the govt comments have been concerning those retail establishments that were not forced to close like bars and restaurants.

15 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

The message up here is still very clear. “Stay at Home” written in very large letters behind the FM in her briefing  on BBC Scotland right now.

We are however now allowed to exercise out of doors more than once a day while maintaining social distances. Apart from that nothing up here has changed.

For many years now I’ve always felt that the Scots have taken far more sensible decisions than the English whenever they’ve had the opportunity.

This looks like another one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

Then came Covid ....

I’m not sure about street parties but there was a big ‘do’ in London that finished at Buckingham Palace with the Royal family out on the balcony etc. That was planned for this year before Covid came along and that’s when the picnic in the front garden started - which then turned into street parties in some places.

1 hour ago, bobupandown said:

I think someone must have had a practice party the night before near us .

About 9 pm we had the police helicopter hovering and circling the area where we live and then they would go

to a village about 1/2 mile away .Then swoop back over our house area that low the house would shake.

We looked out of a upstairs window and saw about 3 squad cars pull up and the officers had a quick conflab then

they were off towards the village,blue lights ablaze, never to be seen again .The helicopter kept up it's routine for a good hour before flying off to pastures new .

Unrelated to the above I checked the local paper online to see if there was any news and read the far side of town today ,in the early hours of this morning a young man had managed  to embed his car at high speed into a house, killing himself in the process and leaving a family with out their home which they would have been isolating in, homeless until made safe .

Then we get people saying "Why should we stay at home what harm can it do?"

Edited by kalos
  • Like 5

Anyway away from politics - had a nice day in the garden yesterday.

Today has cooled considerably and I left hubby tiling the kitchen (with tiles that were ordered online and dumped in our front garden!) while I went for a walk round my local streets. Every time I meet someone one of us crosses the road with a rueful smile! I’m discovering streets I didn’t know existed! 
Really missing my grandson who’s 18 months old now and am worried my son’s partner will stay working at home and I won’t get to look after him again.

I’m quite happy to continue working from home for a while yet as I’m always on the phone talking to our patients so not really missing human contact as never got the chance at work to chat that much to my colleagues anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

I understand where you're coming from Sarah. I'm beginning to have some issues too at the moment. We have missed our great grandson's first steps, his first words and we will also miss his first birthday the 21st of this month. I'm also worried that he will forget who we are if this goes on much longer. Heather sends us and her mum WhatsApp videos? (I think that's the right term) but it's not the same. I'm trying to stay upbeat and keep those in the house with me cheerful and positive but inside myself  I'm not doing too well. The optimist in me says this will end and I know it will. We'll just have to keep doing our bit. I'll be better when the sun shines again 🌞

Avril 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

So the clear message is. Stay at home,except when you go out. That's clear to me.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I understand where you're coming from Sarah. I'm beginning to have some issues too at the moment. We have missed our great grandson's first steps, his first words and we will also miss his first birthday the 21st of this month. I'm also worried that he will forget who we are if this goes on much longer. Heather sends us and her mum WhatsApp videos? (I think that's the right term) but it's not the same. I'm trying to stay upbeat and keep those in the house with me cheerful and positive but inside myself  I'm not doing too well. The optimist in me says this will end and I know it will. We'll just have to keep doing our bit. I'll be better when the sun shines again 🌞

Avril 

Skype, Facetime or something similar perhaps, Avril, just so you can see and talk to each other?

Harry 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Skype, Facetime or something similar perhaps, Avril, just so you can see and talk to each other?

Harry 

All good ideas Harry, but nothing compensates for a cuddle. We humans are suckers  for contact. 👪

Avril 

• Like 3