P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 minutes ago, SeaJane said:

Raining heavily again here today so we’ve not been out for our walk. The good news is that I’ve done my tax return - always a relief when it’s out of the way!
The bad news is that my 97 year old father-in-law has just tested positive from his regular weekly lateral flow test. He lives in a care home and is apparently fine and showing no symptoms, but at his age we are obviously very worried.

Lets hope your dad continues to stay showing no symptoms and recovers soon ,worrying times I'm sure .

• Like 5

Just now, Eglesbrech said:

Rotting fish is a business issue surely? You can’t sell it, you lose money. Business.

Everything and anything is “political” depending on how you perceive it.

Rotting fish could be the result a a bad business decision.

16 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Are you sure that groupage is a major feature of these fresh sea food deliveries. They need refrigeration and I rather imagine that they don't  mix up fish with other produce needing refrigeration.

I agree that seafood  as part of a groupage load is not likely, although in sealed polystyrene boxes it is quite feasible, especially on what would normally have been a 12 hour run to France.

1 minute ago, batholiver said:

And if one is in business, planning for the last couple of years to make changes for 1 January 2021, but the details needed to make those changes aren't agreed until 24 December 2020, would you still consider that ineffective planning? Particularly in view of all the assurances that there are going to be no problems caused by leaving the EU.

There were very many people who always predicted that, going on past form  it was almost certain that any EU/UK trade deal would go down to the wire, and the nearer it got surely the trade organisations should have been making certain they had all bases covered.

• Like 1

Just now, terrierjohn said:

There were very many people who always predicted that, going on past form  it was almost certain that any EU/UK trade deal would go down to the wire, and the nearer it got surely the trade organisations should have been making certain they had all bases covered.

But no one knew what the bases were! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I agree that seafood  as part of a groupage load is not likely, although in sealed polystyrene boxes it is quite feasible, especially on what would normally have been a 12 hour run to France.

It still would need a refrigerated vehicle, and do many of these vehicles operate small consignment groupage?

11 minutes ago, SeaJane said:

Raining heavily again here today so we’ve not been out for our walk. The good news is that I’ve done my tax return - always a relief when it’s out of the way!
The bad news is that my 97 year old father-in-law has just tested positive from his regular weekly lateral flow test. He lives in a care home and is apparently fine and showing no symptoms, but at his age we are obviously very worried.

Sorry to hear that. I hope that your father in law remains well. Yes you must  be very worried indeed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I know I will be accused of being a pessimist,  but I can't see any way that the US or UK governments will change their policies by mid February. 

I'm an optimist, tinged with a bit of realism. I think our Rockies/Alaska holiday in June is doubtful, but as we don't need to pay balances til April it's still fingers crossed.

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

It still would need a refrigerated vehicle, and do many of these vehicles operate small consignment groupage?

Yes, anything from a Transit to an artic. Obviously, the smaller the vehicle, the more expensive the cost per kg or cubic metre. 

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

I don't understand your logic. What bad decision did the fishermen make?

Have no idea, as not party to having first hand knowledge of their specific thought or operational processes.  There could be a multitude of theories.  One just gave a single alternative thought 

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

The delays to exports are caused by the inability of exporters and/or their carriers to present the correct documentation.  For UK exporters there are documentation/customs software packages available from reputable companies, or look to engage a proficient documentation intermediary with specific product expertise

No need spoil thing with facts and truth. Not helpful at all.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I'm an optimist, tinged with a bit of realism. I think our Rockies/Alaska holiday in June is doubtful, but as we don't need to pay balances til April it's still fingers crossed.

Sadly tempted to agree, we moved our June river cruise to next year, we would still book the June one this year if we are able to travel and it was available.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

How did they know what they would have to do? 

The EU/ U.K. negotiators did not know what the outcome would be until they had one and that was as you say, down to the wire time wise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peanut006 said:

No snow here today just raining. My daughter has just sent me a video she was sent of a bus sliding down a hill sideways in the area where she lives(near Halifax) and sliding towards a car that is stuck. It looks like it managed to stop before hitting it. I hope it doesn’t snow too much around Whitley Bay as daughter in laws baby due Monday and she will need to be able to get to Hosp 

Stay safe everyone 

Michelle 

Whitley Bay is on the coast and rarely gets snow due to the salty sea air.

Hopefully all is well and baby and mother are fine.

20 minutes ago, SeaJane said:

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law. Hope he continues to have no symptoms and doesn't suffer at all, but worrying times none the less. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

How did they know what they would have to do? 

The EU/ U.K. negotiators did not know what the outcome would be until they had one and that was as you say, down to the wire time wise.

UK became a non member, so the EU trading regulations between the EU and Non EU Countries were applicable. . In a simplistic method, copy existing non EU documentation software, tweek, job done.  

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, SeaJane said:

Hopefully he is asymptomatic and is fine.🤞

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

UK became a non member, so the EU trading regulations between the EU and Non EU Countries were applicable. . Copy existing non EU documentation software, tweek, job d9ne

Sounds like they simply made a cod's of the paperwork.

2 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Cod’s 😂 like it’s introducing to a fish discussion 

Just thought I would get in first for a change. If they get all those fishes into those little vans, they must pack them in like Sardi.......arghhh🤣

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

UK became a non member, so the EU trading regulations between the EU and Non EU Countries were applicable. . In a simplistic method, copy existing non EU documentation software, tweek, job done.  

But my understanding is that Boris promised frictionless trade, so why the need for documentation?

And, whilst I am sure you are more knowledgeable than me, the need for health certificates for all manner of goods,  is something that is not easily remedied, with not enough vets available for the mountain of paperwork they now have to sign. You can't just "tweek" up 1000 extra vets! 

• Like 3