P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Good luck to all waiting for medical  appointments & results!

Vesta meals were a big treat in our house when I was a teen 🥴 the chow mein was my favourite, you knew it was an extra special treat if it was followed by a vienetta 😂

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Good luck to all waiting for medical  appointments & results!

Vesta meals were a big treat in our house when I was a teen 🥴 the chow mein was my favourite, you knew it was an extra special treat if it was followed by a vienetta 😂

I loved vienetta 😊 I loved the crunch in the chocolate as I put the spoon through it !

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 1

Talking of the salt content in things. John bought some fondant fancies the other day we thought we haven’t had them for ages and were looking forward to them. We both thought they were much too sweet and sickly 😳 Shows how our diet has changed (or are they putting more sugar in them?)

Roll on to having an iced bun in M&S coffee shop again!

• Like 7

It's looking nice out this morning ,Mr blue sky's out there but the temperatures

only 5.c with a -1 chill. One of those mornings to sit back with a cuppa and see 

what the papers have to say today. For those who don't like what the national

papers say ,here's a few alternatives for you .:classic_smile:

Have a good day everyone, take care  and stay safe !

1943579414_COVIDPatient.thumb.jpg.991c2112c56abe4b0cc593ad9ee864f0.jpg

FB_IMG_1615482811949.thumb.jpg.56e62d1cc668dacafe85c40cec12960c.jpg

level.thumb.jpg.5f4a2958f3bd49e722738b7ba9eb0f71.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

My first “curry” was the vesta version with the lumps of grey something in a very sweet sauce with over cooked rice. I remember the chow mein as well with the noodles that puffed up and just tasted if grease. Still it was all very exotic at the time.

I am chirpier thanks, getting there. The clocks change tomorrow as well which always helps.

I seem remember my first Chinese restaurant meal was Chicken and Char sui soup with noodles.  I do remember it was fairly bland, but after 5 pints on a Saturday night, any food was great.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Angel57 said:

I’m pleased to hear you are feeling better.......👍

Goodness I had forgotten about those Chow Mein noodles that puffed up and you right they were greasy and thought of as very exotic. I imagine the salt content in those packets were rather high.

I remember the first time I went to a Chinese restaurant - it was in the mid 1970s. I was on holiday with my parents in Scotland and the restaurant was near the harbour in Oban. Being an unadventurous teenager, I opted for roast beef (altho I love a Chinese or a Curry nowadays).

Thank you. Yes the restaurants always offered a “European” choice didn’t they, my mum used to get Chicken Maryland which seemed to be a thing in the day. 

I had my first proper Chinese meal in the 70s as well and it was probably a lot more authentic than the meals you tend to get now. It was a birthday dinner so we had a good mix of dishes on a big rotating centre.I was taught how to use chopsticks by the owner that night (as knifes forks were not offered) and I never eat Chinese food without them now. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

I loved vienetta 😊 I loved the crunch in the chocolate as I put the spoon through it !

You and Sarah must have been posh. Vienettas were a rare treat, for everyday we had Neapolitan ice cream which came in cardboard and had to be cut to size. If you were lucky you got raspberry sauce on top.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I seem remember my first Chinese restaurant meal was Chicken and Char sui soup with noodles.  I do remember it was fairly bland, but after 5 pints on a Saturday night, any food was great.

My first Chinese meal was in the Mandarin in Town, a night on the town then a Chinese before getting last bus home.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I was taught how to use chopsticks by the owner that night (as knifes forks were not offered) and I never eat Chinese food without them now. 

Many years ago I tried to teach my grandma how to eat noodles with chopsticks

In the end she made a lovely sweater:classic_unsure:

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

My first Chinese meal was in the Mandarin in Town, a night on the town then a Chinese before getting last bus home.

Those were the days.  But you were obviously wealthier than I was, I only graduated to the Mandarin when I was courting, the Rice Bowl was our hang out, and it was nearer as we staggered for the last bus.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

To join the chocolate talk I love Lindt too and so do my parents. I bought her a box for Mother’s Day and she said they have one a day but as it was a special day they had two 😆 Also for Christmas she kept going on about these ‘moments’ chocolates she wanted - she meant the Lindt balls that in an advert they were saying something about ‘moments’ 😆 My son was Googling it trying to find where he could get some!

I’ve just heard my mum and dad have had their call for their second jab on Monday! Phew!

It wasn't these she was after, Sue, was it?

61MGz07aeYL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Vesta was never a thing in our house, my step father a sheet metal worker in the week, but chef at home at the weekend loved to experience new foods. He learnt from a couple of Indian workmates how to cook a curry and they told him where to get the authentic spices etc from, so in the early 1970s we had curry quite often, the left over Turkey at Christmas became Turkey curry, sometimes with chopped sprouts thrown in.

One of my parents friends was Italian, it was they that introduced us to pasta.

We travelled a lot into Europe in the early 70s, Spain being a favourite so it is my stepfather who introduced me to a wider range of foods, which today is still dominated by Indian and Italian influence when cooking at home. I probably also got the travel bug from him as well, which has been passed on to one of my sons who has travelled to more places than I had when his age both work wise and for pleasure. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

You and Sarah must have been posh. Vienettas were a rare treat, for everyday we had Neapolitan ice cream which came in cardboard and had to be cut to size. If you were lucky you got raspberry sauce on top.

Ah memories, I remember back in the early 60's as a kid on a Sunday afternoon my Dad 

would give me some money for me to go and buy a family block of ice cream from the 

Walls ice cream van that came at 5pm . I would get the vanilla block that as you say came

wrapped in cardboard and you cut it to size yourself . There was not a lot of choice I think 

Neapolitan was the only other choice from our ice cream van . More often than not we 

would have it after our Sunday tea with a tin of Fruit Salad which tasted great with the

juice and melted ice cream .  Afterwards  my Dad would relax listening to the radio

show 🎵Sing Something Simple 🎵 as he smoked his Senior Service fags . I would often

join him and get my packet of fags out which I hasten to add were sweets . We were

able to buy such strange sweets back then as kids which were the norm. Happy days :classic_love:

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Oh yes, special occasions only for a Vienetta. I actually loved the boxed ice cream blocks. Do you remember the 'magic' sauce that set hard on the ice cream?

2 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Oh yes, special occasions only for a Vienetta. I actually loved the boxed ice cream blocks. Do you remember the 'magic' sauce that set hard on the ice cream?

Yes, used to write my initials on my ice cream with it.

• Haha 1

Before we finish the Chinese theme, if anyone wants a really good laugh, go onto You Tube and search for Lee Mack's Wok Around the Clock ( from Would I Lie to You). It's worth a watch if only for the so-called recipe for Beef in Oyster Sauce! Have a great weekend everyone. Best wishes. Jane.x

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, kalos said:

Ah memories, I remember back in the early 60's as a kid on a Sunday afternoon my Dad 

would give me some money for me to go and buy a family block of ice cream from the 

Walls ice cream van that came at 5pm . I would get the vanilla block that as you say came

wrapped in cardboard and you cut it to size yourself . There was not a lot of choice I think 

Neapolitan was the only other choice from our ice cream van . More often than not we 

would have it after our Sunday tea with a tin of Fruit Salad which tasted great with the

juice and melted ice cream .  Afterwards  my Dad would relax listening to the radio

show 🎵Sing Something Simple 🎵 as he smoked his Senior Service fags . I would often

join him and get my packet of fags out which I hasten to add were sweets . We were

able to buy such strange sweets back then as kids which were the norm. Happy days :classic_love:

I remember those sweets that were shaped like a cigarette (white with a pink tip I think)....... A very different world back then. X

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Thank you. Yes the restaurants always offered a “European” choice didn’t they, my mum used to get Chicken Maryland which seemed to be a thing in the day. 

I had my first proper Chinese meal in the 70s as well and it was probably a lot more authentic than the meals you tend to get now. It was a birthday dinner so we had a good mix of dishes on a big rotating centre.I was taught how to use chopsticks by the owner that night (as knifes forks were not offered) and I never eat Chinese food without them now. 

Try as might, I cannot use chopsticks. I've been shown countless times and just can't do it. I wondered if it's because I'm left-handed, but then I'm probably just trying to find excuses.

Avril

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just catching up on here and wishing everyone who has felt unwell or is unwell a good day and am thinking about those of you awaiting results.

Us Prestos have now had our jabs - Mr Presto2 last Saturday and me Thursday afternoon. He was ok, just tired, and to be fair I was at work yesterday and just feel worn out today so an excuse to be lazy.

I hope Pauline is feeling better Graham.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1