P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

21 hours ago, gadabout60 said:

Thanks - it’s the same in Scotland so my friends can’t visit me yet unless they stay in Airbnb or the like

Our restaurants etc are finally able to open today but with very restricted hours (and no alcohol!) inside. Many aren’t bothering to open yet which I can understand 

Some hotels are actually open and taking bookings if your friends want to come up to you. They are restricted with regard to dining because of the distancing required in dining rooms and obviously no alchol indoors but some chains have been open from the 26th April.

20 hours ago, grapau27 said:

🤭

Screenshot_20210426_204210.jpg

After many, many decades of marriage I have managed to tune out my beloved,s snoring. 

We have however been on cruises where neighbours on balconies have complained about the  loud rasping engine noise at night to which I have nodded (sagely knowing full well that it was actually OH super loud snores) 😈

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Eglesbrech -please excuse the ignorance of a Sassenach, but does Eglesbrech mean something?  I keep reading it as Eagle's breath, especially after a couple of glasses of wine.

It is Gaelic which translates as speckled Kirk, (church made with spotted stones). It is the place where I was married.

Lots of Scottish place names have the same name derivation, Gleneagles Hotel for example which people assume means the valley of the eagles, it actually means the church in the valley.

The Gaelic is similar to the French word for church.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

It is Gaelic which translates as speckled Kirk, (church made with spotted stones). It is the place where I was married.

Lots of Scottish place names have the same name derivation, Gleneagles Hotel for example which people assume means the valley of the eagles, it actually means the church in the valley.

Thanks for that, I have wondered what it meant for a while. Much better than calling yourself church made with spotted stones.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

And the Welsh word for Church is Eglwys - very similar to Egles

• Like 1

On 4/26/2021 at 12:46 PM, Dermotsgirl said:

Good afternoon.

After a period of reflection, I have decided to carry on posting.

I’d just like to thank those people who posted, kind, supportive posts, very much appreciated by me. 

Welcome back 😊

Hubby and I were going to go to Dobbies for a coffee yesterday as ours has a nice big garden. I couldn’t take Dermotsgirl’s advice to go early though as I work til 1pm and John gets home about 2.30pm. Off we go - 20 minute queue for the restaurant! We didn’t bother but went to the local shopping centre intending to sit outside Costa, all the seats were full!

I noticed ‘Frankie and Benny’s’ had tables free so we went there, John had coffee but I decided on a mocktail -honest!

It was lovely sitting there in the sun 😊

616041B1-7A1F-4F37-B50A-B37659CCD406.jpeg

• Like 5

22 hours ago, kalos said:

Good morning on this fairly  pleasant day . I should take delivery of a new parasol base

today  and the last time I bought anything for the garden sun related it rained for forty days

and forty nights I think. So if it's cool ,you can blame me:classic_unsure:

Yesterday we took our car and put £25 of fuel into it and we cannot honestly remember the 

last time we did that ,was it this year or last ? Who knows but then again the car hasn't done 

400 miles since last October:classic_ohmy: All that money we must have saved doing nothing .

Which reminds me ,months ago when I was telling people about my smart-ish  phone that 

also saves me money simply as I don't use it much, has still got credit from last year. I wonder

if I  can get to the end of this year without topping it up ? :classic_unsure: I wonder what we will spend our

money on when all this lot is over . I wish my Granddad was alive he would have known what

to do. I remember him telling me once when I was considering buying a Hi-Fi  system ,he said

"Kalos ,make sure it come with big loud speakers !"  That was sound advice :classic_wink:

Anyway whether your going out /staying in /getting jabbed or jabbing someone make sure 

you all have a great day and keep safe :classic_love:

Kalos!! We have rain predicted today for the first time in weeks - I blame you!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have an interest in the rollator posts. When we went to Sissinghurst last weekend it was the first time I’d seen my mum with hers. It has a seat which folds up and she puts her bag in there. 
I was impressed she got it free from our Falls clinic and the metal bits are red.

However it’s got 4 wheels and even though they have a big boot it’s a bit of an effort to get it in and my Dad is thinking of buying a three wheel one as it folds up smaller. It lives in their car they find it to awkward to take in indoors.

I had a new found realisation of the problems with these things. I thought Sissinghurst would be ‘easy’ as it’s mostly flat but there were quite a few steps between the formal gardens and the paths were so narrow! My mum kept powering through though bless her!

Recently I’ve thought ‘mum would struggle here’ when places are hilly but didn’t think of narrow paths.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2021 at 2:15 PM, grapau27 said:

Thanks Eddie.

Pauline got her 2 appointments at the same time through the NHS hub but mine was through the doctors.

Next Thursday will be 10 weeks and 1 day from my first vaccine.

Graham.

Good news Graham. John gets his second on Friday and is 60 but my friend who is 56 has just had her call for a second jab and she gets hers the day before John! I think she had her first one a couple of weeks after.

They're certainly moving on.

• Like 2

Great figures coming out about how well the vaccine is cutting transmission and ongoing good news about the vaccine programme itself. Hopefully the younger population will put themselves forward for the jab when we get down to the teens and twenties.  A couple of young girls were discussing it, behind us on the bus yesterday (Yes, we feel confident to use the bus!) and they agreed that any minor apprehension they had was outweighed by the potential freedoms they would gain

(Oh, the simple pleasure of eavesdropping - how long since we’ve done that?)

It’s RAINING! 🌧 Remember rain?  Don’t think we’ve had anything significant for weeks.  It’s Wednesday Walking Group too, so I guess it will be Wet Wednesday Walking.  

Interesting discussion about mobility.  My personal view is that it’s vital to keep mobile and that we shouldn’t be reluctant to spend on the best aids available, if that’s necessary.  It’s so diminishing.to be restricted 

Have a good day all; enjoy the rain - the gardens certainly will

• Like 9

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

Good news Graham. John gets his second on Friday and is 60 but my friend who is 56 has just had her call for a second jab and she gets hers the day before John! I think she had her first one a couple of weeks after.

They're certainly moving on.

Great news Sue.

Graham.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

Great figures coming out about how well the vaccine is cutting transmission and ongoing good news about the vaccine programme itself. Hopefully the younger population will put themselves forward for the jab when we get down to the teens and twenties.  A couple of young girls were discussing it, behind us on the bus yesterday (Yes, we feel confident to use the bus!) and they agreed that any minor apprehension they had was outweighed by the potential freedoms they would gain

It’s RAINING! 🌧 Remember rain?  Don’t think we’ve had anything significant for weeks.  It’s Wednesday Walking Group too, so I guess it will be Wet Wednesday Walking.  

Interesting discussion about mobility.  My personal view is that it’s vital to keep mobile and that we shouldn’t be reluctant to spend on the best aids available, if that’s necessary.  It’s so diminishing.to be restricted 

Morning everyone, we had a small amount of rain last night, we certainly need it especially the farmers I imagine. Cloudy here today but no wind at the moment. 

You are right about the importance of keeping moving, although I use a mobility scooter for example walking the dogs, shopping etc I still walk in the house holding onto things or use my walker if I need to. I also go to a motorised gym three or four times a week which is a huge help in keeping my muscles moving

Stay safe everyone 

Michelle

• Like 2

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

Kalos!! We have rain predicted today for the first time in weeks - I blame you!!

51 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

A couple of young girls were discussing it, behind us on the bus yesterday (Yes, we feel confident to use the bus!) and they agreed that any minor apprehension they had was outweighed by the potential freedoms they would gain

It’s RAINING! 🌧 Remember rain?  Don’t think we’ve had anything significant for weeks.

Morning all :classic_smile:  Oh ye people of little faith ,what did I tell you ? Let me buy a Sun parasol

or base and it will rain ,Works every time :classic_wink:

It's nice that we can get out and about and eavesdrop on the younger generation as this 

lockdown has been not been easy for them either but they are most of the time, happy folk .

Once before this lockdown took hold I was having a nice stroll along Cleethorpes sea front 

and came across three lovely young ladies crying their eyes out. So being being a  kind

hearted soul I said  " Oh dear  me, you poor things, so miserable on such a lovely day as this!

Come and have a cup of tea with me and let's see if we can't make you all feel better."

The three young ladies managed to dry their eyes as they followed me into a little seaside café.

It was all going well when the chocolate sponge cake arrived at our table and when the large

tea pot for four arrived all I said was  "Now, who's going to be mother?" And all the three of them  burst into tears again. Must make mental note not all teenagers like pots of tea :classic_unsure:

Hope you all have a nice day and keep safe :classic_smile:

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Just booked a select fare with my TA for P&O 22/23 winter.

9°C and cloudy this morning.

Good luck with getting second vaccines everyone.

What have you booked Graham? Excited to be talking cruises again!

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Morning everyone, we had a small amount of rain last night, we certainly need it especially the farmers I imagine. Cloudy here today but no wind at the moment. 

You are right about the importance of keeping moving, although I use a mobility scooter for example walking the dogs, shopping etc I still walk in the house holding onto things or use my walker if I need to. I also go to a motorised gym three or four times a week which is a huge help in keeping my muscles moving

Stay safe everyone 

Michelle

Definitely Michelle. My mum is nearly 82 so she’s done well to last this long. She was told off for not using her rollator indoors but it’s too big . She has Parkinson’s and had her first massage for 5 months, she really enjoys it.

As Eddie said we shouldn’t feel bad spending on things to help our quality of life (if you can afford it) I’ve said to my Dad a couple of times ‘isn’t that expensive’ and he says ‘if it helps mum I don’t care’.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Definitely Michelle. My mum is nearly 82 so she’s done well to last this long. She was told off for not using her rollator indoors but it’s too big . She has Parkinson’s and had her first massage for 5 months, she really enjoys it.

As Eddie said we shouldn’t feel bad spending on things to help our quality of life (if you can afford it) I’ve said to my Dad a couple of times ‘isn’t that expensive’ and he says ‘if it helps mum I don’t care’.

I like your dad Sue! What a lovely outlook on life. Jane.x

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Just booked a select fare with my TA for P&O 22/23 winter.

9°C and cloudy this morning.

Good luck with getting second vaccines everyone.

Which ship Graham, and where? Jane.x

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Morning all :classic_smile:  Oh ye people of little faith ,what did I tell you ? Let me buy a Sun parasol

or base and it will rain ,Works every time :classic_wink:

It's nice that we can get out and about and eavesdrop on the younger generation as this 

lockdown has been not been easy for them either but they are most of the time, happy folk .

Once before this lockdown took hold I was having a nice stroll along Cleethorpes sea front 

and came across three lovely young ladies crying their eyes out. So being being a  kind

hearted soul I said  " Oh dear  me, you poor things, so miserable on such a lovely day as this!

Come and have a cup of tea with me and let's see if we can't make you all feel better."

The three young ladies managed to dry their eyes as they followed me into a little seaside café.

It was all going well when the chocolate sponge cake arrived at our table and when the large

tea pot for four arrived all I said was  "Now, who's going to be mother?" And all the three of them  burst into tears again. Must make mental note not all teenagers like pots of tea :classic_unsure:

Hope you all have a nice day and keep safe :classic_smile:

Morning Kalos. I hope you are both well. My knowledge of teenagers ( too much at the moment) is that Oreo Milkshakes are the way to go! I'm taking my life in my hands and taking my two on a seven-day seacation in August, on MSC, thanks to a massive NHS discount. The older one is trying to source some "cool" clothes to wear and the younger on is already packed! As they say where I work "Oy Vey!" Have a good day and best wishes. Jane.x

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Beckett said:

I like your dad Sue! What a lovely outlook on life. Jane.x

He is a proper gentleman! I always remember going shopping with them both several years ago and my mum was trying to decide between 2 pairs of trousers ‘get both!’ said  my Dad 😊

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 4