Celebrity Cruisers - How are Things where YOU are?

Host Anne

On 10/15/2020 at 6:14 PM, AtSeaSoon said:

it seems to be coming from the students mostly. 

Most interesting.  Here, many schools (including my district) have opted for all in-school and thus far there have been very few issues. I expected worse. College has been a bit more cases, but still not too bad. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

On 10/9/2020 at 12:21 PM, Rstybaron said:

As the cruise industry prepares to reopen,

....really????   Have to wonder now with the cases having gone up so much. I get what you're saying since surely preparations have been underway for some time, but truly have to wonder just how cruising WILL resume. It'll be interesting. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

16 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

I believe the same could be said for the US, only - relative to our current administration - I'd substitute "clueless" for "powerless" 😳  OK....will probably take some flack for that one....

It is great to see a fellow neighbor from Montgomery County, PA posting here.  But I will give you just a tad of friendly flack (or maybe unwanted advice?😀) as you have expected.  Political statements no matter how general tend to get reactions that turn nice threads into not-so-nice threads.  And posts get removed or if the thread has gone off the rails it gets shut down.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sorry mimbar from Montgomeryville.  I was referring to the comment from OnTheJourney in my post.  OnTheJourney- what part of PA are you from?  How is it in your area?  In our county (Montgomery) we had very high infection numbers and deaths (mostly in nursing homes) early on but we have been doing quite well in summer and now through October.  Even though we have opened up considerably since our area was initially locked down mid-March.  No second wave here (so far).  Everybody wears a mask and complies with social distancing.  Our local schools have re-opened with little impact.  I truly hope we can all continue to do this.  Stay healthy!

8 hours ago, TeeRick said:

How is it in your area?

I'm in Berks county, which has not done well of late. Our daily numbers are considerably higher than they were during the summer. 

Tee-Rick - you are absolutely correct. My apologies for delving into the political. It sometimes is hard to refrain from doing so given the extraordinary nature of this election cycle. Can't wait till it's over, for better or worse. I'll leave it at that....

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

I'm in Berks county, which has not done well of late. Our daily numbers are considerably higher than they were during the summer. 

Tee-Rick - you are absolutely correct. My apologies for delving into the political. It sometimes is hard to refrain from doing so given the extraordinary nature of this election cycle. Can't wait till it's over, for better or worse. I'll leave it at that....

Boston and MA in particular is not doing well, cases on the rise.  For most of Aug/Sept deaths were in 9-12/day range, last few weeks it has ranged from high teens to mid twenties.  Boston schools, last week, went back to 100% remote learning, other than for special needs students.  I live in a suburb 8 miles outside Boston,  and 13 communities in the area have moved to red alert.  We are actually now receiving alert texts on our cell phone.  I think it will be along tough winter.  Stay safe all!!!

Suffolk  County NY..has seen some increase in illness  but seems to be doing better than many  places.  Most schools are  open either fully or on a hybrid basis. Many childten's day care places are open and  have limited slots.. NY State now mandates smaller groups at day care which limits  how many can attend.  At our local place, all infant slots are full as parents have returned to work.

They check all the children daily with a  family health questionaire  and temps,  and try to distance them...not easy for kiddos but  no masks are required. Extra activities like sports are not up and  running, They did have picture day,

For Halloween, the Costume Parade will only be for students this year, .no parents  They will get a video instead.  At least the children will get to dress up and have their party...but without cheering parents and grandparents outdoors!   Weather is turning cold anyhow....

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Boston and MA in particular is not doing well, cases on the rise.  For most of Aug/Sept deaths were in 9-12/day range, last few weeks it has ranged from high teens to mid twenties.  Boston schools, last week, went back to 100% remote learning, other than for special needs students.  I live in a suburb 8 miles outside Boston,  and 13 communities in the area have moved to red alert.  We are actually now receiving alert texts on our cell phone.  I think it will be along tough winter.  Stay safe all!!!

I grew up in the Boston area and my family and my dw's family all live there.  So we have been watching the situation in MA closely.  So many college students returning probably reignited the virus.  I have one close and elderly relative who was in Assisted Living there recently become virus-positive.  She has a number of serious heart and lung health issues. But amazingly she never got very sick.  One or two days with a slight fever.  Now she is negative on tests.  We got very lucky!  My immediate family usually travels back for Christmas but this year we are staying home in PA.  We will not see my dw's parents who are 85 and 90.  Very sad for us.  But I know alot of us are making these difficult decisions.

15 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Ah- the place of the Daniel Boone Homestead!  Hang in there things will get better.

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

the place of the Daniel Boone Homestead

And yet would you believe I've never been there? Weird how that sometimes seems to happen from other people I've talked to that live close to an attraction that some people might drive hundreds of miles to visit (as part of a more extensive trip of course) and yet never go. 

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

And yet would you believe I've never been there? Weird how that sometimes seems to happen from other people I've talked to that live close to an attraction that some people might drive hundreds of miles to visit (as part of a more extensive trip of course) and yet never go. 

Never been there either but my daughter has only been there two years. I think about all the people that come to Philly from all over the world, and I haven’t been there in years.  I only go to the city for concerts at the arenas and to the airport 

The Philadelphia suburbs are so nice overall with so much to do.  My son and DIL lived in Philadelphia proper for a number of years as young adults.  Now they just bought a nice home in Chester county.  Honestly I do not miss driving into Philly to visit them!  

Yeah, Philly is great. So much to see there. I'm not a huge fan of big city driving and so we don't really get in there that often either. Closest we come is Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square - one of our all-time favorite places to visit. We're members but haven't gotten back there since covid started. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

The Philadelphia suburbs are so nice overall with so much to do.  My son and DIL lived in Philadelphia proper for a number of years as young adults.  Now they just bought a nice home in Chester county.  Honestly I do not miss driving into Philly to visit them!  

I agree that the suburbs have so much to offer. The city is expensive to park , dine, etc 

21 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Yeah, Philly is great. So much to see there. I'm not a huge fan of big city driving and so we don't really get in there that often either. Closest we come is Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square - one of our all-time favorite places to visit. We're members but haven't gotten back there since covid started. 

Walking around Longwood Gardens outside (with masks) to see the holiday light displays might be one of the only public (and hopefully safe) things we do this year to celebrate the season!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Walking around Longwood Gardens outside (with masks) to see the holiday light displays might be one of the only public (and hopefully safe) things we do this year to celebrate the season!

LOVE Longwood especially at Christmas! Will probably be doing a lot of drive around to celebrate the season

• Like 1

Christmas at Longwood is awesome. We like the chrysanthemum and orchid festivals as well; sadly, didn't get to either this year. Chrysanthemums are still going, but not sure we'll go. Had covid been on the downswing instead of the reverse, we probably would. That thousand-plus chrysanthemum never ceases to astound me. Just more disconcerting going there with the virus numbers escalating. Mushroom soup at the Terrace is an all-time favorite with us as well!  To get the benefit of membership dues, we usually try to get there 4 times a year or more, so this year the membership dues have been more of a donation. The renovated fountains are pretty amazing also! Last time we were there was probably early March before things started to ramp up with covid. We like looking for Longwood cats as well.

Edited by OnTheJourney

10 hours ago, mlmbar said:

LOVE Longwood especially at Christmas! Will probably be doing a lot of drive around to celebrate the season

We love it too!

Worth the ride from Long Island to stay a few days nearby!

Also think Philadelphia is a great city..sorry they have experienced recent unrest