Celebrity Cruisers - How are Things where YOU are?

Host Anne

15 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

I heard an interesting discussion about the vaccines today.  They will do a very good job keeping people from getting too ill. But even once vaccinated we will still be able to catch and transmit the covid-19. As far as they know now. So we might get sick, mild flu-like symptoms or maybe totally asymptomatic, but will still need to distance, mask, etc. to protect others.

I will be in line to get the vaccine, but I will wait for those more in need to get their shot first. 

Stan

This is not known for sure.  A lot of discussion on this in the multiple vaccine threads so I will not repeat here.  But we will have to wear masks and social distance for awhile at least until many people get vaccinated.  Even on ships unless vaccination is mandatory to cruise.

11 hours ago, TeeRick said:

This is not known for sure.  A lot of discussion on this in the multiple vaccine threads so I will not repeat here.  But we will have to wear masks and social distance for awhile at least until many people get vaccinated.  Even on ships unless vaccination is mandatory to cruise.

First blizzard/nor'easter of the season coming my way tomorrow/Thursday, 18 - 24 inches expected.  No worries though, LLP is coming to my rescue, sending APEX to rescue and take me to Caribbean.  

13 hours ago, LGW59 said:

First blizzard/nor'easter of the season coming my way tomorrow/Thursday, 18 - 24 inches expected.  No worries though, LLP is coming to my rescue, sending APEX to rescue and take me to Caribbean.  

Wishful thinking (about APEX rescue)!  Yeah we are about to get blasted with snow too in the north western suburbs of Philly where I live.  

On 12/15/2020 at 7:01 PM, LGW59 said:

Oh, quit complaining, it got down to 28degF here in the Fla Panhandle .....28deg’s!!!! I think my ferns are damaged and I had to shut the lawn pump off. So just quit whining and think about us poor Floridians who don’t have pants with ‘legs’ below our knees or shirts with long sleeves! 

The world has turned upside down!!! Oh.....if that happened, this would be summer for us wouldn’t it....Forget it.

Den

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Oh, quit complaining, it got down to 28degF here in the Fla Panhandle .....28deg’s!!!! I think my ferns are damaged and I had to shut the lawn pump off. So just quit whining and think about us poor Floridians who don’t have pants with ‘legs’ below our knees or shirts with long sleeves! 

The world has turned upside down!!! Oh.....if that happened, this would be summer for us wouldn’t it....Forget it.

Den

Den we used to have a house in SE Florida.  It was very funny to see the locals in winter coats when the weather went below 60F.  I remember one winter that it got pretty darn cold and a lot of the iguana population went dormant and fell out of the palm trees.  Raining iguanas!😀

Well it has been  quite chilly some days here in Venice Fl  this month, but nothing like  it is back home in NY..Brrr!   And it does warm up..sometimes okay for a swim. Very nice for walking, biking and dh golfing.  

Covid is increasing down here..yet one of  the only 2 gov  Covid test sites just closed..no lease renewal.  Things are  much less gov  restrained than in many other states but folks are wearing masks and trying to distance. I think vaccines have started for med workers and nh residents.

Hope everyone stays safe & does the right thing!

• Like 1

Things feeling quite frightening in the U.K. right now. We have this new strain which we think is causing our big increase in infection rates. 40 countries have blocked travel from us to them. That’s completely understandable but is a bit panic-inducing. As you can imagine, the scenes at the airports and ports are fairly dramatic.

We have localised restrictions, with Scotland, Wales, London and large parts of the South East of England banned from mixing with family at Christmas which is obviously upsetting a lot of people. Those of us in areas who are allowed to see family at Christmas, have been told Christmas Day only with no overnights, which is a problem for people who don’t live near their families. 

Half the country has bought too much food expecting to be hosting Christmas, and the other half doesn’t have any food in because they thought they were staying with family. Local Facebook groups are full of posts offering their now unwanted pre-ordered turkeys and seafood platters, or begging someone to deliver a Christmas dinner to their elderly relatives. 

17 hours ago, HeddaGarbled said:

Things feeling quite frightening in the U.K. right now. We have this new strain which we think is causing our big increase in infection rates. 40 countries have blocked travel from us to them. That’s completely understandable but is a bit panic-inducing. As you can imagine, the scenes at the airports and ports are fairly dramatic.

We have localised restrictions, with Scotland, Wales, London and large parts of the South East of England banned from mixing with family at Christmas which is obviously upsetting a lot of people. Those of us in areas who are allowed to see family at Christmas, have been told Christmas Day only with no overnights, which is a problem for people who don’t live near their families. 

Half the country has bought too much food expecting to be hosting Christmas, and the other half doesn’t have any food in because they thought they were staying with family. Local Facebook groups are full of posts offering their now unwanted pre-ordered turkeys and seafood platters, or begging someone to deliver a Christmas dinner to their elderly relatives. 

I hadn't considered the food issues.  Hope everyone gets fed.

The province of Ontario in Canada is going into lockdown on Boxing Day.  There is much disagreement as many people feel it should be done right away in order not to further overwhelm the health care system.  Of course, there are others who think it doesn't need to happen at all.  We will never all agree.

DH and I agreed over a week ago that we weren't willing to risk an inadvertent tragedy in the family and so we informed the kids that we would not be visiting anyone.  We are almost done delivering gifts and will do Christmas virtually this year.

Stay safe everyone.

• Thanks 1

Our area is finally in lock-down....we were doing so well for a long time, but now this has hit us with a brick the past few weeks.  From no cases in hospitals to a growing concern.  I wondered about 'Christmas Dinner' food going to waste.  Those without dinners at least can still go to the market - turkeys are pretty low but other meat choices available.  Glad they didn't announce it was immediate and we were given 2 days to prepare.  I also wondered if the charity kitchens could take the extra dinners prepared for larger families - you'd think they'd be open for the homeless.  Need more local news stories to inform us re things like this.  I've told my family we won't always be 'nuclear'....we'll be together next Christmas if we all do the right thing for us and our neighbours.  Will really miss them this year though!

• Like 1

I am so sorry to hear the news about the impact of Covid in the U.S, England, Ontario and so many other places. So very sad and concerning! 

In the province of Quebec... unfortunately, we’re also struggling. Inside dining in restaurants, bars, gyms, cinemas and museums etc closed in red zones since October. Most the province is vibrant red! Fortunately, take-outs and deliveries are still available.

In home gathering forbidden inside and even outside. We had to resigned ourselves to experience our first virtual Christmas ever..... This means that we will not be able to celebrate in person, with any of our three children living respectively 5 min., 20 min. and 25 min. away from us. Forbidden also, will be our chance to take in our arms, our first grandchild born in November.

Our health minister and Montreal mayor are encouraging people, to call police on friends and neighbours breaking the rules. Fines are hefty.... So is the risk of Covid.

My wife and I are now resigned to spend Christmas and New Year alone.... with the hope, that the vaccine will allow us in 2021, to be finally able and allowed to hug our kids, have them in our home, and kiss the little baby to our heart’s content.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, cachouonacruise said:

I am so sorry to hear the news about the impact of Covid in the U.S, England, Ontario and so many other places. So very sad and concerning! 

In the province of Quebec... unfortunately, we’re also struggling. Inside dining in restaurants, bars, gyms, cinemas and museums etc closed in red zones since October. Most the province is vibrant red! Fortunately, take-outs and deliveries are still available.

In home gathering forbidden inside and even outside. We had to resigned ourselves to experience our first virtual Christmas ever..... This means that we will not be able to celebrate in person, with any of our three children living respectively 5 min., 20 min. and 25 min. away from us. Forbidden also, will be our chance to take in our arms, our first grandchild born in November.

Our health minister and Montreal mayor are encouraging people, to call police on friends and neighbours breaking the rules. Fines are hefty.... So is the risk of Covid.

My wife and I are now resigned to spend Christmas and New Year alone.... with the hope, that the vaccine will allow us in 2021, to be finally able and allowed to hug our kids, have them in our home, and kiss the little baby to our heart’s content.

These are for sure very challenging times for so many!  I too will be spending Xmas alone for the first time and my son and his wife live 15 minutes away from me.  He called me yesterday and said, dad I really want you to come over for Xmas, we both got COVID tests so you'd feel safe.  Problem is, they are both 32 yo and I am not.  My son has not missed one day of work since pandemic started due to the kind of business he is in and is exposed to many people everyday.  His wife, resumed working in June and flies on a regular basis back and forth to Florida.  I sadly had to say son, I truly want to be there but I cannot take that risk.  I am on meds for HBP and have followed all of the rules of social distancing, masks, being in public places etc, other than walking my dog a few times a day, I don't go very far.  At this point, I don't feel safe breaking the bubble that I have created to keep myself and others healthy as much as possible.  Merry Christmas and hopefully Happier New Year in 2021!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

These are for sure very challenging times for so many!  I too will be spending Xmas alone for the first time and my son and his wife live 15 minutes away from me.  He called me yesterday and said, dad I really want you to come over for Xmas, we both got COVID tests so you'd feel safe.  Problem is, they are both 32 yo and I am not.  My son has not missed one day of work since pandemic started due to the kind of business he is in and is exposed to many people everyday.  His wife, resumed working in June and flies on a regular basis back and forth to Florida.  I sadly had to say son, I truly want to be there but I cannot take that risk.  I am on meds for HBP and have followed all of the rules of social distancing, masks, being in public places etc, other than walking my dog a few times a day, I don't go very far.  At this point, I don't feel safe breaking the bubble that I have created to keep myself and others healthy as much as possible.  Merry Christmas and hopefully Happier New Year in 2021!!

I feel your lonliness....can you have a Zoom Christmas?  If the family is so close, maybe have a longggg chat in the driveway??  Merry Christmas to you as much as it's possible to be merry....and continue to stay safe and well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

I feel your lonliness....can you have a Zoom Christmas?  If the family is so close, maybe have a longggg chat in the driveway??  Merry Christmas to you as much as it's possible to be merry....and continue to stay safe and well.

Thank you, Oceangoer2!  Believe it or not it is supposed to be 60 degrees on Xmas day here.  My son is going to go to Dunkin Donuts (our version of Tim Hortons) in the morning, get us coffees and sticky buns and we will sit on my patio for a bit and celebrate Xmas different but at least we can exchange gifts and see each other.    

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Yes we have a very similar story too.  Son and daughter live close by but like Thanksgiving they will be staying in their own homes.   Just my wife and I and of course the dog will be together.  We usually travel to our families in Massachusetts for every Christmas for as long as I remember.  Looking forward to Christmas 2021 now!  

16 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Thank you, Oceangoer2!  Believe it or not it is supposed to be 60 degrees on Xmas day here.  My son is going to go to Dunkin Donuts (our version of Tim Hortons) in the morning, get us coffees and sticky buns and we will sit on my patio for a bit and celebrate Xmas different but at least we can exchange gifts and see each other.    

yaaaay....at least some togetherness!

This morning we had a lovely family gathering with our 2 kids, their spouses and four of our grandkids. Oh, and our daughter's family dog to play with ours. In keeping with safety, we maintained strict  distancing throughout and everyone wore a mask as well. While the adults stood or sat in our double garage with the door wide open, the kids and dogs played outside. With -8℃ temperatures and a constant snowfall, the get together only lasted an hour, but it was the first time that we've met for several months. And probably the last for several more months, although we do family Zooms fairly often, and will do one on Christmas Day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

This morning we had a lovely family gathering with our 2 kids, their spouses and four of our grandkids. Oh, and our daughter's family dog to play with ours. In keeping with safety, we maintained strict  distancing throughout and everyone wore a mask as well. While the adults stood or sat in our double garage with the door wide open, the kids and dogs played outside. With -8℃ temperatures and a constant snowfall, the get together only lasted an hour, but it was the first time that we've met for several months. And probably the last for several more months, although we do family Zooms fairly often, and will do one on Christmas Day.

that sounds lovely...especially with the snow falling....rather cavelike in the garage...a nativity scene if you had a baby in the bunch.

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

That is so nice!  Doing something similar here with my son on Xmas morning.

• Haha 1

Sorry to hear that severe lockdowns are needed. Where we are in Fl   there is a diff but cautious approach. Still isolating and doing ZOOM but able to shop and be outdoors. Makes a big difference for mental health.  We will be just us two anyhow for upcoming holidays. Dh has cooked some great meals  while we have been  here ( ham, pea soup, rib roast, etc) so we decided to take a break and have ordered take out meals locally for Xmas.  We will do the same for up coming New Yrs. We usually go.out for Hibatchi on New Yrs.. & would have done take out but sadly that restaurant is permanently closed....economic victim of earlier Covid shutdowns .

About 2 weeks ago, Dtr and family took the long trip to Fl from NY in their SUV with 8 mo old and 4 yr old..who they discovered gets car sick ( crazy) . They  drove straight through..but stopped along the way a few times for gas and food.

They visited sils dad / wife. Reason for the trip was for them to see the "baby" as they won't travel right now.   They stayed 2 nights with us  We celebrated Hanukah and early Xmas and did alot  outdoors .  Along the way they visited a Zoo,   Busch Gardens Holiday area and Disney Movie land, etc (the  least fav due to crowds, lack of distancing, & surprisingly, they felt not as family friendly as the others)

They had Covid tests in Fla before returning home..all neg . Getting tested in N.Y. upon return was a big hassle like everything else in NY)  but finally able to do it..neg also.  Ironically,  dtr's workplace had a Covid  outbreak while they were away so working from home again.  Pedictably,  they said no more long car trips..after Covid clears they will fly..and hopefully be able to cruise.

Where we are in Fla is seeing more cases daily but Fla gov announced that those over 65 ( even Snowbirds) will be in the next group for vaccines.  We will take it if we  can get it while we are here b/c NY rates seniors our age   lower on the list and IMO  has not been impressive with testing other than in certain  areas  not ours.

Our community in Fl had an outdoor holiday concert yesterday..a flute trio. We were mostly masked and  distanced  &  It was lovely. It was a good way to lift  holiday sprits..

WISHING EVERYONE A SAFE AND HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON....🎄🎁♥️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hcat said:

Sorry to hear that severe lockdowns are needed. Where we are in Fl   there is a diff but cautious approach. Still isolating and doing ZOOM but able to shop and be outdoors. Makes a big difference for mental health.  We will be just us two anyhow for upcoming holidays. Dh has cooked some great meals  while we have been  here ( ham, pea soup, rib roast, etc) so we decided to take a break and have ordered take out meals locally for Xmas.  We will do the same for up coming New Yrs. We usually go.out for Hibatchi on New Yrs.. & would have done take out but sadly that restaurant is permanently closed....economic victim of earlier Covid shutdowns .

About 2 weeks ago, Dtr and family took the long trip to Fl from NY in their SUV with 8 mo old and 4 yr old..who they discovered gets car sick ( crazy) . They  drove straight through..but stopped along the way a few times for gas and food.

They visited sils dad / wife. Reason for the trip was for them to see the "baby" as they won't travel right now.   They stayed 2 nights with us  We celebrated Hanukah and early Xmas and did alot  outdoors .  Along the way they visited a Zoo,   Busch Gardens Holiday area and Disney Movie land, etc (the  least fav due to crowds, lack of distancing, & surprisingly, they felt not as family friendly as the others)

They had Covid tests in Fla before returning home..all neg . Getting tested in N.Y. upon return was a big hassle like everything else in NY)  but finally able to do it..neg also.  Ironically,  dtr's workplace had a Covid  outbreak while they were away so working from home again.  Pedictably,  they said no more long car trips..after Covid clears they will fly..and hopefully be able to cruise.

Where we are in Fla is seeing more cases daily but Fla gov announced that those over 65 ( even Snowbirds) will be in the next group for vaccines.  We will take it if we  can get it while we are here b/c NY rates seniors our age   lower on the list and IMO  has not been impressive with testing other than in certain  areas  not ours.

Our community in Fl had an outdoor holiday concert yesterday..a flute trio. We were mostly masked and  distanced  &  It was lovely. It was a good way to lift  holiday sprits..

WISHING EVERYONE A SAFE AND HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON....🎄🎁♥️

Florida has 4.5 million residents 65 and older.  I don't think that even counts the snowbirds from other states.

10 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Florida has 4.5 million residents 65 and older.  I don't think that even counts the snowbirds from other states.

..that's a good reason to get folks vaccinated as soon as possible to  reduce spread.   Some of them  have already  started the process if they are in a hospital, nursing home or asst living..they are in the first group along with med professionals.

I' m not crazy about  taking it so early but as a diabetic doing so  is advised.

If we are back in NY,,no doubt we will be " dfl"

1 minute ago, hcat said:

..that's a good reason to get folks vaccinated as soon as possible to  reduce spread.   Some of them  have already  started the process if they are in a hospital, nursing home or asst living..they are in the first group along with med professionals.

I' m not crazy about  taking it so early but as a diabetic doing so  is advised.

If we are back in NY,,no doubt we will be " dfl"

And in MA where I live, inmates (after health care workers, EMT's, and residents of long term care facilities) are second in line, BEFORE home health care aides, WTH are you kidding me?!?!

On 12/24/2020 at 7:54 PM, LGW59 said:

And in MA where I live, inmates (after health care workers, EMT's, and residents of long term care facilities) are second in line, BEFORE home health care aides, WTH are you kidding me?!?!

I grew up in the Commonwealth of MA.  And my family and my dw's family still all live there.  Nothing ever surprises me about some of the decisions and policies from this state. Dating myself, but I remember the 1972 presidential election when McGovern lost the Electoral College vote 520-17 with just MA and the DC voting for him including most of my family of course😄.

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I grew up in the Commonwealth of MA.  And my family and my dw's family still all live there.  Nothing ever surprises me about some of the decisions and policies from this state. Dating myself, but I remember the 1972 presidential election when McGovern lost the Electoral College vote 520-17 with just MA and the DC voting for him including most of my family of course😄.

That is funny.  Growing up my mom was a staunch dem and dad was a staunch repub, made for some interesting conversation at dinner.

On 12/24/2020 at 7:54 PM, LGW59 said:

I believe inmates are people also. And they are high risk given their living conditions. Home health care aides have far more opportunities than inmates to acquire and use PPE. So, the policy decision makes sense to me.