Celebrity Cruisers - How are Things where YOU are?

Host Anne

Here at present. Omicron going crazy, people waiting for hours at testing centres, being told to do RAT tests with non available, stores running out of food due to infections in transport and supply systems, stores closing due to lack of staff and TPTB are MIA. Not looking good ATM

3 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Here at present. Omicron going crazy, people waiting for hours at testing centres, being told to do RAT tests with non available, stores running out of food due to infections in transport and supply systems, stores closing due to lack of staff and TPTB are MIA. Not looking good ATM

You are in  Australia?

Hope things improve...and it runs its course!

1 minute ago, hcat said:

You are in  Australia?

Hope things improve...and it runs its course!

Yes, Australia. Sadly, for some, it is running its (deadly) course. TPTB seemed disinterested in getting cruising going again even before the current variant arrived on our shores. It's hard to be optimistic but hoping for a resumption next spring, September. 

On 12/29/2021 at 3:34 PM, OnTheJourney said:

That's what we're going to do. Talked to them again yesterday and they said (almost unbelievably).."we had a few in but won't be getting anymore"  😳  I mean...how crazy is this for an assisted living facility?  It gets better...they just hired a new LPN back in August but she already left. So I wound up talking to a new "medical director" - see how long she lasts. The place is nice enough - small and usually very quiet - and my Mom has been there now for 5 years, but something just doesn't work since, employee-wise, it's like a revolving door. I can't keep up with the staff changes. At this point would hate to move her somewhere else since she has very significant memory issues and gets disoriented enough as is without making major changes to her routine and location. Even crazier is that the families were not even notified that they won't be getting boosters. It was taken over by a large outfit a few years ago and that's when things started to slip downhill in  many ways. Prior to that it was just a small independently run facility and things were better. I must say, though, that they've done amazingly well throughout the entire pandemic. 

My Mom lives on the Independent side of a dual independent/assisted living facility and they have done a great job of getting vaccinations and boosters. They have been among the first to get them at the facility. They test everyone each week. My only complaint is that they don’t require masks for residents anymore. But otherwise they have done really well!  Good luck with your Mom and keep up the pressure. 

• Like 1

Germany, Lower Saxony here.
Omicron going nuts.

Politicians absolutely confused, chaos in rules and measures.
Tensions rising beyond extremists and conspirators, normal people starting to make fun of dubious politics.
I know nobody suffering from Covid, others know a few people.
Testing, masks and certificates for being allowed into restaurants are mandatory in most places.
No good fun here.

• Like 1

We're in southern Ontario....more extreme measures....restaurants, gyms, etc shut for a few weeks after the Christmas get togethers; testing in place but some are finding hard to get; omicron cases were rising more than the original covid but declining now that measures are in place and those cases mostly mild;  kids off school for two weeks but going back next Monday;  no protests in my area and don't read anywhere else.  Most in hospitals here are uvaxxed or have underlying conditions exacerbating the virus.  Very high % of  vaxx and booster numbers.

If only more would follow the restrictions and not feel they're above it and shouldn't have their 'freedoms' impinged upon.  What about those that are following the vaxx rules...their freedoms are suffering because others don't want to help abate the condition. 

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

If only more would follow the restrictions and not feel they're above it and shouldn't have their 'freedoms' impinged upon.  What about those that are following the vaxx rules...their freedoms are suffering because others don't want to help abate the condition. 

You nailed it. Couldn't agree more. Covid has been a poilticized issue from day one. 

3 hours ago, Nemanoxer said:

Germany, Lower Saxony here.
Omicron going nuts.

So sorry to hear this. Hopefully things get better for ALL of us soon. 

4 hours ago, mlparker said:

They test everyone each week.

Sounds like your Mom is in a good place. From what I've heard, my Mom got her booster last week - so maybe my saying something on Christmas day (followed up by at least one phone call) got the wheels turning. 

On 1/12/2022 at 4:17 PM, lyndarra said:

Same here in Boston, seems to be spreading fast and furious, but for the most part, most that are vaccinated have relatively mild symptoms.  My son is required to take an at-home test 1x/week as per his employer, his wife travels 2x/month to FL and CA, she has to take a test 48 hours before each flight, as per her employer.  As a result they have lots of at-home tests provided by their respective employers.  Thursday night I started feeling unwell, nothing horrendous, just body aches, headache, minor sore throat, mild congestion.  My son came over yesterday with one of his test kits and yep, I tested positive.  Not the end of the world (I am working from home) but I am glad that I did the test, truthfully put my mind at ease and will result in my taking a bubble approach for the next 10 days, so walking the dog and me wearing a mask are the excitement I will be having for a while.  Though not long walks, this morning when we went out it was 1 degree, but thankfully it has now warmed up to 10, but the sun is shining, so there is that.  Be well Australia, I will be in your gorgeous country in 2023 following a nice long 52 day cruise.

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

Same here in Boston, seems to be spreading fast and furious, but for the most part, most that are vaccinated have relatively mild symptoms.  My son is required to take an at-home test 1x/week as per his employer, his wife travels 2x/month to FL and CA, she has to take a test 48 hours before each flight, as per her employer.  As a result they have lots of at-home tests provided by their respective employers.  Thursday night I started feeling unwell, nothing horrendous, just body aches, headache, minor sore throat, mild congestion.  My son came over yesterday with one of his test kits and yep, I tested positive.  Not the end of the world (I am working from home) but I am glad that I did the test, truthfully put my mind at ease and will result in my taking a bubble approach for the next 10 days, so walking the dog and me wearing a mask are the excitement I will be having for a while.  Though not long walks, this morning when we went out it was 1 degree, but thankfully it has now warmed up to 10, but the sun is shining, so there is that.  Be well Australia, I will be in your gorgeous country in 2023 following a nice long 52 day cruise.

So sorry to hear you're ill with the virus...take care.

• Thanks 1

• Host Anne unpinned and locked this topic