What do NEW cruisers think about cancellations?

Thebosn1

I know that me and many of my "cruise family" will be sailing again as soon as we are allowed.  I have no intention of cutting back on future cruises because of what is happening right now.  

I'm curious what new cruisers, like people that were just about to take their fist cruise are thinking?  Are you all planning on trying cruising, or has this put you off from even trying it?  

• Like 1

We would have been (and will eventually be) new cruisers.  We had a group of 7 HS seniors, 4 sets of parents and 1 younger brother ready to go 4/4.  Clearly that isn't happening 😭.  There were a couple of prior cruisers in the group but 12 of us had never cruised before.  With the exception of 1 teen, we are rescheduling for this summer 🤞  None of us are scared to cruise, many of us aren't sure we'll ever do it again, we're kinda doing it b/c our kids want to, but we're not afraid to go and who knows maybe we'll love it and make it a regular vacation option.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eileen2664 said:

we are rescheduling for this summer 

That might be optimistic. Maybe Summer 2021. I just saw that the MGM Resorts in Vegas are closed til at least May 1. Reopening a hotel has got to be a lot easier than a cruise line. I especially think about the ports that have closed and may be n no hurry to reopen.

1 hour ago, clo said:

That might be optimistic. Maybe Summer 2021. I just saw that the MGM Resorts in Vegas are closed til at least May 1. Reopening a hotel has got to be a lot easier than a cruise line. I especially think about the ports that have closed and may be n no hurry to reopen.

Yes I’m optimistic. These kids on our trip need something to be optimistic about. Their senior year went to crap...spring break? Cancelled. Spring sports? Postponed indefinitely. Competitions? Cancelled. Prom? Unlikely. Graduation? Big question mark. 

so, yeah, we’re being optimistic and re-planning our “spring trip” in late June. We’re hopeful that we can we can bring some joy into an other spectacularly sucky end to their high school careers. And if we need to postpone again then I guess we’ll cross that bridge if we come to it. 

• Like 2

They think the same as those who cruise every year. Its a very unfortunate and sad occasion. Many people have planned their vacation a year ahead and getting an alert about the cruise being canceled wont make anybody happy. Well, a bad experience is also an experience. I am sure people will learn something from it. I would also suggest calling the office to get some information on bonuses or maybe some other cruises offered

This is just a bump in the road and things will eventually get better. We'll enjoy all the things we used to enjoy with greater appreciation that we get to experience and enjoy cruising again. Don't get discouraged, you'll never know how fun and exciting cruising is unless you try it at least once. 

Something I try to remind new cruisers of is that a Cruise vacation/holiday is NOT like going to Disney/Vegas/London/paris etc.

If your flight gets cancelled/changed or you miss a flight, or the car runs out of gas, or anything else,,, your hotel or B&B is still going to be there when you arrive. Not so with a cruise vacation. If you arrive late, your hotel room is gone.

So, there are 2 separate but important parts to a cruise vacation.

1. Transportation to and from

2. The cruise itself.

IDK...... I've taken one cruise before,and had one booked for fall. My husband no longer wants to cruise at all (he was uncertain before) and I'll probably cancel. (even if we lose money on it) I have no desire to get on one of these ships anymore. I feel sad about this,and didn't know where to go for a discussion about it to tell the truth,since usually these threads are about when things get going again.

I am a new cruiser and ours has not been canceled yet. We are still hopeful the beginning of August will happen. We will need it after the craziness. If the insights now are accurate, things look like it will be back to normal in June. If ours does get canceled, we are hoping we can go Thanksgiving.

• Like 1

My wife and I are booked on our first cruise and it's to depart 5.13.20. 

We're facing the likelihood this will get cancelled and are accepting the reality of the situation.

Will this put us off of cruising? Hardly. I think I've done so much research, planning and anticipation that I am ready for this type of vacation. If we are unable to sail on our original booking, we will rebook once the dust settles.

(Of course, this cruise was the vacation to replace our vacation to St. Maarten that we had to cancel 3 days before scheduled departure due to Hurricane Irma; so, maybe we just aren't meant to head to the Caribbean...)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We booked out first cruise this year. Out of fear and availability when we could go, we rebooked. The reason is we only have 2 other times besides Summer to go. When we saw a great deal for Thanksgiving, we rebooked and saved 50%. Then, we booked a Summer 2021 cruise as well with the savings.

I think that new cruisers think about how lucky they are that they were not rushing to purchase or book their future cruises. But at the same time I think that they will still be booking and cruising this year or next year. If someone has a dream he will pursue it. Cruising for many is one of the most exotic ways of spending their vacation. Especially if its first time in their life