The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

So, here’s a question:  in today’s video on Viking TV, no one on board the ship was masked, not Karine, not the captain, not Sujith, not any of the crew.  And they were hugging and dancing together,  really not socially distancing.  So, have they all been vaccinated?  Might this be a good sign??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I felt so sorry for the housekeeper on the riverboat-one housekeeper for four boats!  

i guesstimated 36,000 square feet to be cleaned per ship or 144,000 sf total.  So presuming she works 6 days a week for 10 hours a day that means she has to clean the size of an average American house (2,400 sf) an hour. 😥

What? That makes no sense at all!  Housekeepers are managers and could possibly manage 4 boats.  

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

So, here’s a question:  in today’s video on Viking TV, no one on board the ship was masked, not Karine, not the captain, not Sujith, not any of the crew.  And they were hugging and dancing together,  really not socially distancing.  So, have they all been vaccinated?  Might this be a good sign??

They said that they felt safe in their bubble.

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

Might this be a good sign??

Doesn't impress me. Thanks for posting about it - now I have no interest whatsoever in seeing it. If I want to see people not wearing masks all I have to do is go to Mass at our church or else 2 of the local hardware stores, neither of which I have visited very often. I try to do most of my shopping (other than groceries) online, or arrange for curbside pick-up. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

This was the life we experienced while aboard Viking Sun, during the initial onset of COVID. We were in a complete bubble, as after Bali, nobody got onboard, or got ashore. When docking in Muttrah, the Captain docked the ship and departed himself, as no pilot came aboard. In Suez, we did have a pilot, but the Bridge Team split in half, with the Suez team going straight to quarantine once the pilot disembarked.

In Gibraltar, leaving the ship it was hugs all around and then ashore it was as if we entered a new universe. I recall in Gibraltar Airport, where we were about the only 8 in the concourse, Justine left her luggage unattended, but next to our group. Security called them, so Justine came back, walking towards the Security Guard. As she closed on the Guard, she started putting her arms out front telling Justine to back off. The Guard then started backing off, screaming at Justine to stop. This was our introduction to COVID life.

On the Viking ships, I have no doubt new crew boarding must quarantine before being let loose and shore leave will be banned and limited, if any people will be permitted to board. Therefore, the crew are in the ultimate bubble.

This is common on many cargo ship, as the crew are more concerned with the pilot, agent, wharfies, etc coming on board than with other crew, some of whom have been aboard since before COVID started.

• Like 2

The way some act on here you would think covid had a 90% death rate instead of a small fraction.  Viking ships were immaculately clean before this and will be even better now.  I have to ask On The Journey and others will you ever sail again?  What will it take for you to sail.   I am ready to go tomorrow.  I will be the test for all who live in fear.  I would much rather die while doing something than live hiding in fear.  Just one old salt's opinion.  And seeing Sujith back makes it all great..

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

I will be the test for all who live in fear.  I would much rather die while doing something than live hiding in fear.

The folks who take a cautious approach to resuming cruising aren't "living in fear" or "hiding in fear."  They're acting cautiously, that's all.

My wife and I share this view.  We'll cruise again when we're ready, which isn't right now.  

Edited by DaveSJ711
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JM0115 said:

They said that they felt safe in their bubble.

Yes, but why did they, is my question.  They come from all over the earth.  They must be vaccinated. Otherwise, no way.   We are now eating with and hugging friends because we are all vaccinated.  We are going to Easter dinner.  We didn’t do this a year ago.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

The folks who take a cautious approach to resuming cruising aren't "living in fear" or "hiding in fear."  They're acting cautiously, that's all.

My wife and I share this view.  We'll cruise again when we're ready, which isn't right now.  

Great. Do what makes you happy. Just don’t expect others who might have a different opinion to all be willing to give up their lives. I have a dream that someday media will also be as eager to report that there are many viruses, bacteria, and fungi out there with death rates equaling or exceeding covid and that life can go on. Treat the ill but don’t shut down the world.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Uh-huh. Viking = one happy, cozy family I suppose... right?

I’m sorry.  I didn’t mean to cause so much contention.  I hope to cruise again soon.  I want to do safely. That’s all.  I respect all these opinions.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Yes, but why did they, is my question.  They come from all over the earth.  They must be vaccinated. Otherwise, no way.   We are now eating with and hugging friends because we are all vaccinated.  We are going to Easter dinner.  We didn’t do this a year ago.  

Because as was noted in earlier responses to your questions, they are safe within the bubble.  They aren’t interacting with anyone other than each other and aren’t going “all over the earth”. 

They have been quarantined, tested and separated. So no vaccine or mask is needed....until they need to join the rest of us.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

What? That makes no sense at all!  Housekeepers are managers and could possibly manage 4 boats.  

Not sure what you are saying. 

unless I misheard her on the video, she said she was the only housekeeper for four riverboats in warm layup. When they did the dance on deck, there were only dancers on every fourth boat so I assumed (and yes I know what it could potentially make me 😂) that they had one of each of the crew positions needed (Captain, Chef and Housekeeper were the only ones I recall from that short segment) for every four longboats. 

25 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

unless I misheard her on the video, she said she was the only housekeeper for four riverboats in warm layup. When they did the dance on deck, there were only dancers on every fourth boat so I assumed (and yes I know what it could potentially make me 😂) that they had one of each of the crew positions needed (Captain, Chef and Housekeeper were the only ones I recall from that short segment) for every four longboats. 

Didn't really show it on the film, but in hot layup, I would expect them to be at minimum manning, accepting that 1 ship, is looking after 3 others. This would require 1 or 2 Engineers, a Deck Officer and a few ratings.

The minimum crew would be required for any emergency response, with the Master in command & control, a Deck or Engineering Officer leading a fire party comprising ratings.

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

Ah, you are referring to a video. That clears up some of the confusion.

9 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Ah, you are referring to a video. That clears up some of the confusion.

Yes, the Viking TV segment that all have been discussing. Here is a link: https://www.viking.tv/tv/this-week-on-viking-tv/tuesdays/viking-tv-special-our-crew-discuss-an-extraordinary-year-on-board

• Like 3

Looking at the Covid numbers still out of control in Europe, I'm getting less and less optimistic about our Bergen to Barcelona October cruise actually  sailing... our National WWII museum land tour scheduled for August (Germany, France & Poland was cancelled this morning. 😞 

Clay, don't feel bad. I wasn't sure about the identification of the ship by the view from the low angle of the photo of the bow.  But after studying it for a bit, I could see that it had the hull number and the ship's name "Viking  Octantis" high on the bow. Just sowing off her ice "breaking" features.

42 minutes ago, Senior Gators said:

Clay, don't feel bad. I wasn't sure about the identification of the ship by the view from the low angle of the photo of the bow.  But after studying it for a bit, I could see that it had the hull number and the ship's name "Viking  Octantis" high on the bow. Just sowing off her ice "breaking" features.

Yeah but I read all that, wondered why the new ocean ship which I knew wasn’t named Octantis had such a strange bow and then took the time to find a picture of Sky or Sea and to write the post.  I feel bad....for all the time I wasted! LOL cuz you know I have so much to do 😂

On 3/26/2021 at 5:06 PM, Azulann said:

Senior Gator,  will you be starting the  Miss River Cruise in St. Paul or ending in St. Paul MN?

Either way, let me know and I will take you both out for lunch  while you are tied up on the Lower Landing in my home town!😍

Hi Azulann,  sorry to be so slow in responding. I just caught your posting this afternoon when scrolling back to see an earlier response.  We will be flying into MSP sometime after noon or mid afternoon on the day of departure, September 17.

Along with the included Viking transfer to the ship, I must regretfully decline your friendly and generous invitation to join you for lunch. It would be good to enjoy your fellowship and catch up on what we have been up to since we traveled together on our wonderful Transatlantic cruise on the Viking Sea. Hard to believe that was almost 3 years ago to the day.  It was in late March to early April of 2018. It was our 1st TA but hopefully not our last. 

Best wishes,

Senior Gators (Richard and Margie)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

The way some act on here you would think covid had a 90% death rate instead of a small fraction.  

I personally find such statements offensive. It minimizes (unintentionally, I am sure) the significance of the deaths of 551,000 Americans.  I have attended 9 funerals of victims of COVID. Yes they are a small percent of those who have been stricken. Their families could care less. Some of this tiny percent were parents and grandparents.Some were someone’s child. 

Yes, I plan to cruise if Viking requires masks. And yes, as a responsible citizen, I proudly follow CDC guidelines and wear a mask or two in public. COVID is a global pandemic that has taken the lives of 2.8 million people worldwide. For those who have lost family and or friends, the death rate is irrelevant. 

Bob

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

It was great to watch the Viking video, and nice that everyone staffing the ships are safe in their bubbles. But it won’t be that way when they bring on guests. Daily testing is not sufficient to keep all onboard safe. I remain bewildered at Viking’s stance of not requiring vaccinations. I also don’t like that they are not giving an explanation for why they’re not requiring vax.

All I can ascertain is that a.) they aren’t able at this point to get all their young crew members from different countries vaccinated; and b.) they don’t want to alienate guests who are anti-vaxxers or who can’t be vaccinated for some reason. Instead, they will be alienating those of us who are vaccinated and will only sail with others who have done so. I don’t get it.

And please, be respectful of people like me who feel this way. It makes me sad, and offended, when those of us who take this pandemic seriously are denigrated for our scientifically-based views.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

I remain bewildered at Viking’s stance of not requiring vaccinations.

As much as I was very much looking forward to more Viking cruises - having a good bit of money already invested in two more - IF things don't change I'd rather forfeit all of it (yikes!) than set foot on a ship that does not require proof of vaccination. I just won't do it. The two I have booked aren't till '23 - so hopefully by then all this crap will be behind us. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 3