The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

55 minutes ago, Azulann said:

I am  more concerned about the  cargo, container ships unable to get into ports along the US coast because  crew members have COVID.  All countries are figuring out  this whole  shipping scene going forward for  global commerce. There are no blueprints left over from last century panademic.

Right you are.  One thing that is common to both eras is you can bet your boots rates will go up.  Everything will cost more.

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

Well then come to cruise out of Puerto Rico.  When this US Territory allows cruise ships to return, i think we will have the same strict guidelines as we have had since March 2020.  Still a mask rule inside and outside, curfew just made earlier again 10 pm to 5 am, still a negative Covid pcr test to enter even if vaccinated AND we are hoping for only fully vaccinated crew and passenger requirement.  We don't have the same charged politics as the US, at least not as far as Covid19.  Only people who complain are tourists or the 2 month condo snow birds.

Used to enjoy the sail in to San Juan, which we did once per month, while doing the Acapulco to San Juan shuttle. Haven't been there for many years, but is definitely one of the ports I hope to see again.

If Viking offers a TA on Viking Neptune, hopefully San Juan will be one of the ports, as we are considering booking that one before the World Cruise.

6 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Used to enjoy the sail in to San Juan, which we did once per month, while doing the Acapulco to San Juan shuttle. Haven't been there for many years, but is definitely one of the ports I hope to see again.

If Viking offers a TA on Viking Neptune, hopefully San Juan will be one of the ports, as we are considering booking that one before the World Cruise.

We also love San Juan as a cruise port.  Always go spend a day or two in Old San Juan and have fave dining places.  Walk across the street to board most ships is almost as easy as boarding in San Diego.  Worked out of SJ back in the day running a large seagoing tug in tanker lightening ops.  Not out of San Juan but Ponce on the south shore.  It had it's attractions as well back then......😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

We also love San Juan as a cruise port.  Always go spend a day or two in Old San Juan and have fave dining places.  Walk across the street to board most ships is almost as easy as boarding in San Diego.  Worked out of SJ back in the day running a large seagoing tug in tanker lightening ops.  Not out of San Juan but Ponce on the south shore.  It had it's attractions as well back then......😎

Another non US port we have enjoyed is Puerto Morelos, Mexico.  Boarded SeaDream there but not sure if they can handle something Viking's size.  Nice little town south of Cancun.  CUN is an airport most of us have good flights to so that surely helps.  I know container ships use Puerto Morelos so maybe that would work for a Caribbean cruise.  We shall see. 🍹

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Always go spend a day or two in Old San Juan and have fave dining places.

OK Jim.  Fave Dining places in Old San Juan?  If you feel like sharing that is.

We hope to be there at the end of the Dec TA from Barcelona!  (If that Viking Sea cruise takes place that is - hopefully so!)

21 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Jim - As an outsider, I am having extreme difficulty understanding why the CDC carries any weight in the ongoing pandemic. I believe they are responsible for ensuring the health & safety of US citizens.

No disrespect to our many good friends South of the border, but the numbers of infections and deaths in the US are not great figures to promote the ability of the CDC to control the pandemic and why they should be taken seriously for restarting the cruise industry.

I firmly believe that more infections are possible on aircraft, but the airline industry has continued with minimal changes. Going back to the Seadream incident. The cruise was cancelled after less than a week, as about 7 pax on board had the virus. In all likelyhood, they actually caught the virus in an airport or flight. However, while you can catch it on a plane you have already left before symptoms show.

With Vancouver being one of the few Canadian airports accepting International flights, we receive frequent news reports listing flights that arrived in Vancouver with COVID cases. Sadly our Govt is no better, as they banned cruise ships, but the airline industry has operated with minimal restrictions. The flight we returned to Vancouver on last year was full, yes every single seat. Thank goodness we weren't in "cattle class"

If the CDC want to be taken seriously, perhaps they should address the airline industry and many other situations in the US that has driven the number of infections and deaths.

Long past time to leave the cruise industry alone. BTW - I used to have immense respect for the CDC, sadly that is no longer the case.

There’s just a political morass with regards to the CDC. The previous admin apparently did a number on it and tied its hands. I think the reason it is not able to dictate terms now to states is that same political divide—so many states are refusing to follow guidelines, so what good would dictates do? And with Florida and Texas attempting to ban vaccination credentials, you just sink deeper into the morass. BTW, I don’t think requiring vaccine credentials can be banned for private companies.

10 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

I bite my tongue often here re potentially charged topics.  However someone needs to get the CDC to move more quickly to provide opening support to the industry.  But I did wonder if DiSantis will ban cruise ships in Florida from requiring vaccinations and proof thereof just like he is banning Florida businesses from doing so.  

I just don’t know how DeSantis can ban businesses from requiring proof of vaccinations—perhaps he can dictate that to state entities, but not to private businesses.

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

OK Jim.  Fave Dining places in Old San Juan?  If you feel like sharing that is.

We hope to be there at the end of the Dec TA from Barcelona!  (If that Viking Sea cruise takes place that is - hopefully so!)

Haha, much better subject for discussion in Explorers.  Getting a bit testy over at that group on the port side..😎  As to fave restaurants in Old San Juan we can only hope they are still in business at the next visit.  The Parrot Club is a place for authentic old style Puerto Rican food and is in a really cool Caribbean ish decor.  Some items a bit strange but all new flavors for sure.  Great service last time.  And make fun if you will but we have a few dishes we love at Tijuana's Mexican Grill right at the ferry docks.  Cheap, waterfront, cold cerveza....  What's not to like prior to boarding?  And one we have not tried but is on the list is the house restaurant at El Convento boutique hotel.  Couldn't get in there last trip (part of the first leg of the Ultimate WC) so did not need to stay there.  The restaurant was fully booked by residents of the hotel.  That's when we discovered the Parrot Club.  There are other small bars during walkabouts where we stopped in for a drink and had a snack or two.  So far, touch wood, we have had nothing but good food surprises in Old San Juan.  🍸

Edited by Jim Avery
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Haha, much better subject for discussion in Explorers.  Getting a bit testy over at that group on the port side..😎  As to fave restaurants in Old San Juan we can only hope they are still in business at the next visit.  The Parrot Club is a place for authentic old style Puerto Rican food and is in a really cool Caribbean ish decor.  Some items a bit strange but all new flavors for sure.  Great service last time.  And make fun if you will but we have a few dishes we love at Tijuana's Mexican Grill right at the ferry docks.  Cheap, waterfront, cold cerveza....  What's not to like prior to boarding?  And one we have not tried but is on the list is the house restaurant at El Convento boutique hotel.  Couldn't get in there last trip (part of the first leg of the Ultimate WC) so did not need to stay there.  The restaurant was fully booked by residents of the hotel.  That's when we discovered the Parrot Club.  There are other small bars during walkabouts where we stopped in for a drink and had a snack or two.  So far, touch wood, we have had nothing but good food surprises in Old San Juan.  🍸

Thanks, Jim!  I'm hungry and thirsty already !!

• Haha 1

We stayed at  El Convento hotel before our Viking cruise in 2018. It had  fabulous food, in a inner courtyard off the bar area. Great cab cakes. 

We also went to Marilynn a little bar on the  way back to our hotel .. Went inside and there was a big cat on the bar. She moved to end of bar as we ordered cold beers after walking back from the Fort. It was  really hot and the beer tasted so good.  It is called Marilynn because it has  photos and posters of Marilynn Monroe.

One night we walked across the small square facing the catherdal. It was open late and had  spciy food, tacos, and salad and of course more beer and Mojitos. 

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 1

I second Tijuana's Mexican Grill, great margs, perfect to while away a little time before boarding.  Steps to the piers.

Now, a little known secret. If walking about early in the morning and want a quick breakfast, the Subway sandwich shop by the docks makes good egg dishes, and has good cubano coffee!  Whodathunk!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Sadly, “our” bar, Maria’s, in Old San Juan closed down many years ago.  This article talks about it.  Would love to find a similar “dive” near there, if anyone has suggestions.

https://www.uncommoncaribbean.com/old-san-juan/on-site-old-san-juan-boozing-with-actress-amanda-redman-at-marias/

I actually have a t-shirt from Maria's Bar.  I was stationed in Puerto Rico when I was in the Navy (Roosevelt Roads, 1987-1989).  Whenever we went to Old San Juan, we would stop at my namesake bar - Maria's!

Edited by Lilyskittymom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Sadly, “our” bar, Maria’s, in Old San Juan closed down many years ago.  This article talks about it.  Would love to find a similar “dive” near there, if anyone has suggestions.

https://www.uncommoncaribbean.com/old-san-juan/on-site-old-san-juan-boozing-with-actress-amanda-redman-at-marias/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=local&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjhrsucmPrvAhVVLX0KHUihDCgQ_BcwAHoECAQQBA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fnonos-bar.business.site%2F&usg=AOvVaw0UzxdAbn8Ilxn8ygCewPzn

Raggy, we have imbibed in this one a time or two to considerable good effect.  Killer Mojitos..😎

Crummy website but the map will get you there.  Fittingly right across from the entrance to an old church..

Edited by Jim Avery

4 hours ago, Lilyskittymom said:

I actually have a t-shirt from Maria's Bar.  I was stationed in Puerto Rico when I was in the Navy (Roosevelt Roads, 1987-1989).  Whenever we went to Old San Juan, we would stop at my namesake bar - Maria's!

Do you remember those coolers on the floor where they kept the enchiladas, etc.?  They are actually in that photo of Maria 🙂

Not to hijack the thread but it is Explorers and we are discussing imbibing in a Viking port of call so I just want to add that, even in the dive bars, in Old San Juan, the overall feel is safe.  The general mix is typically some Coasties from the nearby large USCG base, locals, including a good representation of what on any other Caribbean island would be expats, and some touristas.  The farther uphill away from the docks and the less tourists.  One of the ports we have enjoyed over and over.  Now if we can just get there and get on a Viking ship again...  🍸😎

• Like 4

World Travellers, Viking is booked until 2023. I don't know if I am glad or sad. After 2020 and all that has gone on I do not have the desire to do a world cruise any longer. On another note.

San Juan seems to be open to tourist, I hope that is correct. I love San Juan.I am considering a week in San Juan, asap. We will do Bermuda to Bermuda in July . I am so looking forward to sailing.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for our 11/14/21 cruise. As far as Texas and Florida! I have no words. Back to the lounge for  Baileys  and coffee, topped with day dreams.

Please do not give up on a wold cruise.  It was the best thing we ever did.  And we hope to do another, but Viking is booked, and we are getting older.  We did the 2019 WC, and every day this year  I have sent my husband an email with photos of “two years ago today.”  We both enjoy reliving.  We are booked on the inaugural Iceland Welcome back cruise!  Yes, to the Explorers Lounge for a quick drink and quiet company!  Go for it!!

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Ruthieofthesea said:

World Travellers, Viking is booked until 2023. I don't know if I am glad or sad. After 2020 and all that has gone on I do not have the desire to do a world cruise any longer. On another note.

San Juan seems to be open to tourist, I hope that is correct. I love San Juan.I am considering a week in San Juan, asap. We will do Bermuda to Bermuda in July . I am so looking forward to sailing.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for our 11/14/21 cruise. As far as Texas and Florida! I have no words. Back to the lounge for  Baileys  and coffee, topped with day dreams.

Hi Ruthieofthesea.  I live in Puerto Rico and yes we have been open.  However we have a surge in infections and hospitalizations since spring break tourism which prompted new restrictions beginning April 12.  Curfew is now 10 pm to 5 am.  Businesses must close at 9 pm and no alcohol service after 9 pm even in hotels.  Bars still closed.  Restaurants at 50%.  We still have a mask mandate inside AND outside.  Only place we can go without masks is inside our homes or hotel rooms and in the water at the beach.  Its enforced too, however, walking our dogs on our mountain road we never see police.  One must arrive with a negative PCR swab test even if vaccinated.  Our governor has threatened total lockdown again if numbers don't improve.  I would do a wait and see.  Or if you do book, make sure it is refundable.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Hi Ruthieofthesea.  I live in Puerto Rico and yes we have been open.  However we have a surge in infections and hospitalizations since spring break tourism which prompted new restrictions beginning April 12.  Curfew is now 10 pm to 5 am.  Businesses must close at 9 pm and no alcohol service after 9 pm even in hotels.  Bars still closed.  Restaurants at 50%.  We still have a mask mandate inside AND outside.  Only place we can go without masks is inside our homes or hotel rooms and in the water at the beach.  Its enforced too, however, walking our dogs on our mountain road we never see police.  One must arrive with a negative PCR swab test even if vaccinated.  Our governor has threatened total lockdown again if numbers don't improve.  I would do a wait and see.  Or if you do book, make sure it is refundable.  

Hi Tayanalorna, Thank you so much for the information. I have decided to do the Viking Bermuda to Bermuda in July. I will wait for San Juan until things get better. I am so addicted to travel that I feel like I am in a form of withdrawal. July will be a big help. Stay safe and thank you again! 

On 4/13/2021 at 9:32 PM, SantaFe1 said:

Please do not give up on a wold cruise.  It was the best thing we ever did.  And we hope to do another, but Viking is booked, and we are getting older.  We did the 2019 WC, and every day this year  I have sent my husband an email with photos of “two years ago today.”  We both enjoy reliving.  We are booked on the inaugural Iceland Welcome back cruise!  Yes, to the Explorers Lounge for a quick drink and quiet company!  Go for it!!

I do want to do a World Cruise, but! my children (grown children) do not want me to travel away for that amount of time. I think I will do an extended cruise, really not sure about a World cruise. As you said, I am getting older.  I missed 2020 and 21. We shall see.

Well, I have a friend from our 2019 WC who did the first two Viking WCs alone, having never cruised before.  She is intrepid.  And so are you!  Keep thinking about it.  I will ask her if I can share her blog.  On Viking, it’s easy to travel alone.  Well, as easy as it can ever get, I guess.  But I would do it, if it came to that.  Good luck to you in whatever travels you embark on.

Edited by SantaFe1