The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

• 2 weeks later...

FYI -- husband read an article yesterday about Viking going public.  An IPO planned for I don't remember when.  Much as investing in Viking sounds interesting -- we established a policy many years ago that we only invest in mutual funds.  We got stung pretty badly when we invested in a single stock many years ago.  It was Exxon -- which had been going great guns just before we bought it.  And then -- a few months afterwards -- the Valdez incident happened.  We got out at a loss and said never again!🤪

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CharTrav said:

FYI -- husband read an article yesterday about Viking going public.  An IPO planned for I don't remember when.  Much as investing in Viking sounds interesting -- we established a policy many years ago that we only invest in mutual funds.  We got stung pretty badly when we invested in a single stock many years ago.  It was Exxon -- which had been going great guns just before we bought it.  And then -- a few months afterwards -- the Valdez incident happened.  We got out at a loss and said never again!🤪

I came really close to buying some Exxon in January 2021, but my broker who is not a proponent of fossil fuels advised against.  I actually would have bought close to its bottom at that period.  I won’t buy any shares in Viking, but I like the revenue increase 2019-2023, you can’t look at 20-22 due to pandemic and all of the 125% future credits issued.

• Like 1

Good article.  I guess with 70 river boats it is to be expected.  What got me are the occupancy rates.   Any resort or hotel or cruise line anywhere would take those numbers.  Rolling lots of dough through there.  Good for Viking.  Just hope they don't do the Carnival cost shaving thing.

2 minutes ago, Azulann said:

I  wonder how many  passengers a river boat holds?  Nice statistics. Viking  has hit the sweet spot, 93 % or more  are full ships in my view.

We are taking our first River cruise this fall on one of the typical Longships.  190 pax 53 crew.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

We are taking our first River cruise this fall on one of the typical Longships.  190 pax 53 crew.  

I really enjoy river cruising and actually prefer it to ocean. You dock right in town, the scenery is gorgeous, and unlike some on this forum, I really enjoy the communal meals. I’ve met so many fascinating people during dinner. The pace is also different. It’s go, go, go, eat, sleep, repeat. 

We’ve never spent more than a couple of minutes on an ocean veranda but have spent hours on a river one, just watching the world pass by.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2024 at 10:41 AM, OneSixtyToOne said:

I really enjoy river cruising and actually prefer it to ocean. You dock right in town, the scenery is gorgeous, and unlike some on this forum, I really enjoy the communal meals. I’ve met so many fascinating people during dinner. The pace is also different. It’s go, go, go, eat, sleep, repeat. 

We’ve never spent more than a couple of minutes on an ocean veranda but have spent hours on a river one, just watching the world pass by.

Totally agree there....our 3 week European Sojourn last year was fantastic.  One (if not the) best cruises I have ever done...for exactly the reasons you stated.  

But...that being said...our next Viking cruises are on ocean, and Exp. ships and really looking forward to the itineraries.   Mixing it up, but will always have fond memories of our time on the river.  🙂