The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

On 3/19/2024 at 1:32 PM, millybess said:

@TayanaLorna 

How was your trip?

Did you get to Krka Falls?

Hello!  Our trip was just awesome.  From gorgeous churches, artwork, quaint walled towns, hilltop villages, spectacular scenery and ancient ruins to the food, wine, olive oil, and stories about local life, the people and history from our excellent guides, it could not have been better - except for the weather a few days.  But I will take the lack of crowds over a few rainy and cold days.  Even in February over 3 rainy days, Venice was too crowded and we were the only cruise ship in town.  We were the only cruise ship in all the ports and the first of the season in many.

The Umbria region pre cruise extension was way beyond expectations too.  We had the same guide day and evening and she was wonderful.  Besides the history and stories about saints, she shared tidbits about her family, growing up and her grandmother.  Never order pineapple on a pizza or an Italian grandmother will die.  In each town we had an expert guide specific to that towns history, churches and art.  Lunches were at small local restaurants where our group of 22 filled the tables.  We tasted local wines, several aged balsamic vinegars and different olive oils.  One evenings dinner was a farm to table affair with a local family.  Just amazing talking with the grandmother who was trying to learn English.  The extension was well worth its pricetag.

Yes we made it to Krka Falls which was absolutely wonderful.  They had lots of rain the day before we got there and the falls were heavily runing.  Water was flowing down hillsides where normally there would only be a trickle.  Only 1 small overlook was flooded.  It was exciting to see the water rushing under and along the walkways.  There were no railings so not for the faint of heart although the water was shallow. The immense parking lot was empty.  There were only 6 busses there and all were able to park at the top.  Two way traffic was allowed on the walking paths at that time of the year and our guide took us down the numerous stairs to the big overlook first and then along all the wooden walkways back to the bus which were a more gentle uphill.  Doing the stairs first (even going down which can be just as difficult for some) was nice to do before we got tired as it is a lot of walking.

Thanks for asking.  And how were your travels?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

Hello!  Our trip was just awesome.  From gorgeous churches, artwork, quaint walled towns, hilltop villages, spectacular scenery and ancient ruins to the food, wine, olive oil, and stories about local life, the people and history from our excellent guides, it could not have been better - except for the weather a few days.  But I will take the lack of crowds over a few rainy and cold days.  Even in February over 3 rainy days, Venice was too crowded and we were the only cruise ship in town.  We were the only cruise ship in all the ports and the first of the season in many.

The Umbria region pre cruise extension was way beyond expectations too.  We had the same guide day and evening and she was wonderful.  Besides the history and stories about saints, she shared tidbits about her family, growing up and her grandmother.  Never order pineapple on a pizza or an Italian grandmother will die.  In each town we had an expert guide specific to that towns history, churches and art.  Lunches were at small local restaurants where our group of 22 filled the tables.  We tasted local wines, several aged balsamic vinegars and different olive oils.  One evenings dinner was a farm to table affair with a local family.  Just amazing talking with the grandmother who was trying to learn English.  The extension was well worth its pricetag.

Yes we made it to Krka Falls which was absolutely wonderful.  They had lots of rain the day before we got there and the falls were heavily runing.  Water was flowing down hillsides where normally there would only be a trickle.  Only 1 small overlook was flooded.  It was exciting to see the water rushing under and along the walkways.  There were no railings so not for the faint of heart although the water was shallow. The immense parking lot was empty.  There were only 6 busses there and all were able to park at the top.  Two way traffic was allowed on the walking paths at that time of the year and our guide took us down the numerous stairs to the big overlook first and then along all the wooden walkways back to the bus which were a more gentle uphill.  Doing the stairs first (even going down which can be just as difficult for some) was nice to do before we got tired as it is a lot of walking.

Thanks for asking.  And how were your travels?

It sounds like you had a really great trip.  I’m glad you enjoyed Krka Falls and that you were able to go back up the way you came down.  That would make a huge difference.

Did you end up going to Corral de la Moreria in Madrid for dinner and the flamenco show?

Our Amazon trip was very good.  We met a lot of new friends.  The crew and food were amazing!!  We had a laundry tour, a galley tour and a bridge tour.  I showed the captain a photo of me sitting in his chair with a Viking helmut on and he told us a very funny story about a certain pilot who boards and always has to wear the Viking helmut.  The captain and all the senior crew were always around, stopping to talk to the passengers.

We met up with Ronnie Carrington in Barbados.  He is quite a character with a wealth of knowledge and local stories.  We’re glad he was recommended here on CC.  He is doing another exhibition in Toronto this summer.  Afterwards, we met up with friends who winter in Barbados.  It was a very fun day.

We were able to tender in French Guiana and walk around, but it was incredibly hot that day.  Still, it was an insightful experience.  On the ship the movie Papillon was shown, but many were disappointed that it wasn’t the original Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman version.

We did the piranha fishing excursion which was a lot of fun and we had a really great guide.  On that excursion we saw a few birds that we had never seen before.  The Boi Bumba was colourful.  There were many talented dancers, and we got some nice photos.

We weren’t very fond of Manaus.  We had a terrible guide.  As you know, the ship overnights there and we talked to a couple of senior officers on the ship who said they worry about the crew getting off there for the evening.  We could certainly see why.

For the whole trip we saw 1 mosquito on the outside of our balcony door.  But we did see some other weird-looking bugs.

We are leaving on the 5th for Hong Kong, which is a trip we’ve been looking forward to for a long time.  We’re doing many private tours in Japan and they are requiring a lot of preparation.

On 3/20/2024 at 4:25 PM, millybess said:

It sounds like you had a really great trip.  I’m glad you enjoyed Krka Falls and that you were able to go back up the way you came down.  That would make a huge difference.

Did you end up going to Corral de la Moreria in Madrid for dinner and the flamenco show?

Our Amazon trip was very good.  We met a lot of new friends.  The crew and food were amazing!!  We had a laundry tour, a galley tour and a bridge tour.  I showed the captain a photo of me sitting in his chair with a Viking helmut on and he told us a very funny story about a certain pilot who boards and always has to wear the Viking helmut.  The captain and all the senior crew were always around, stopping to talk to the passengers.

We met up with Ronnie Carrington in Barbados.  He is quite a character with a wealth of knowledge and local stories.  We’re glad he was recommended here on CC.  He is doing another exhibition in Toronto this summer.  Afterwards, we met up with friends who winter in Barbados.  It was a very fun day.

We were able to tender in French Guiana and walk around, but it was incredibly hot that day.  Still, it was an insightful experience.  On the ship the movie Papillon was shown, but many were disappointed that it wasn’t the original Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman version.

We did the piranha fishing excursion which was a lot of fun and we had a really great guide.  On that excursion we saw a few birds that we had never seen before.  The Boi Bumba was colourful.  There were many talented dancers, and we got some nice photos.

We weren’t very fond of Manaus.  We had a terrible guide.  As you know, the ship overnights there and we talked to a couple of senior officers on the ship who said they worry about the crew getting off there for the evening.  We could certainly see why.

For the whole trip we saw 1 mosquito on the outside of our balcony door.  But we did see some other weird-looking bugs.

We are leaving on the 5th for Hong Kong, which is a trip we’ve been looking forward to for a long time.  We’re doing many private tours in Japan and they are requiring a lot of preparation.

Glad your Amazon trip was good.  Did the Sea dock at the port or anchor out in Manaus?  Yes Ronnie is quite the character and as himself is a local experience.  See no mosquitoes.  Insects yes, mosquitoes no.  Haven't seen anything from folks who were going to continue on the Iberostar Grand Amazon after either Viking cruise.

Yes we did see flamenco at Corral de la Moreria.  It was quite exciting.  We were seated 1 table from the stage and saw their expresssions and movements very well.  Both the male and female dancers were excellent.  It was a 15-20 minute walk from our hotel.  On our way back we saw the Cathedral and Royal Palace beautifully lit.  It was so cold, windy and often rainy during our Madrid stay - 42 during the day.  No one was sitting at the outdoor cafes even with the heaters and anywhere inside was packed.  The Mercado San Miguel was half under rennovation so wall to wall people in there too.  After 5 days pre and post as well of 14 days of the cruise, all jam packed with activities and excursions, our plan was just to wander at will for our last 2 days.  Had the worst weather for that plan.

Enjoy Hong Kong and Japan.

54 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Glad your Amazon trip was good.  Did the Sea dock at the port or anchor out in Manaus?  Yes Ronnie is quite the character and as himself is a local experience.  See no mosquitoes.  Insects yes, mosquitoes no.  Haven't seen anything from folks who were going to continue on the Iberostar Grand Amazon after either Viking cruise.

Yes we did see flamenco at Corral de la Moreria.  It was quite exciting.  We were seated 1 table from the stage and saw their expresssions and movements very well.  Both the male and female dancers were excellent.  It was a 15-20 minute walk from our hotel.  On our way back we saw the Cathedral and Royal Palace beautifully lit.  It was so cold, windy and often rainy during our Madrid stay - 42 during the day.  No one was sitting at the outdoor cafes even with the heaters and anywhere inside was packed.  The Mercado San Miguel was half under rennovation so wall to wall people in there too.  After 5 days pre and post as well of 14 days of the cruise, all jam packed with activities and excursions, our plan was just to wander at will for our last 2 days.  Had the worst weather for that plan.

Enjoy Hong Kong and Japan.

We were able to dock at Manaus.  It sounds like your trip was really lovely.  Can we expect one of your really great detailed reviews again?  Have fun planning your Expedition cruise.

On 3/22/2024 at 9:11 AM, millybess said:

We were able to dock at Manaus.  It sounds like your trip was really lovely.  Can we expect one of your really great detailed reviews again?  Have fun planning your Expedition cruise.

My DH downloaded all our photos and posted each of our stops on FB for family and friends.  He doesn't write much and says people just want to see photos anyways.  I plan to do a review of our Umbria extension as i was frustrated to not find anything detailed on CC.  I may do a review of the entire cruise - I don't know as so many people have done so already.  But thanks for your encouragement.  Visiting family in IL and WI next.  Then Viking Panama Canal in 2025.  Be sure to tell us all about Hong Kong and Japan.

• Like 3

On 3/20/2024 at 1:25 PM, millybess said:

millybess - 

Glad to hear you are doing the Hong Kong Japan trip.  We are doing Viking Japan-Hong Kong in October 2025, so will be very interested to hear what you do - especially the private tours!

So interesting that you got to meet Ronnie Carrington in Barbados.  We did his photo tour way back in 2019 and told Lorna and Ray about him.  Ray is such a good photographer and hope he learned something from him!

We were just on the Italy/Adriatic/Greece tour with Lorna and Ray.  Also hoping to see a post where we can view all his photographs and relive the experience!

Traveling is fun - and meeting people who share common interests!

We are off back to travel again in May (Barcelona to Bergen to Rekjavik).  Will try to share insights along the way.

Have a wonderful time in Asia!

• Like 2

Sitting here in the Explorer’s lounge on the Jupiter, it is fantastic to think how different the world was when I started this thread, exactly four years ago today. Back then normal social interaction was impossible and we were not allowed to travel outside our local area. 
Thankfully, those strange times have now come and gone.

The captain has just made his noon time announcement to inform us that we are now 104 nautical miles off the coast of Brazil. It is 93 degrees outside but still cool in here despite the brightness of the sun that streams in across the cream leather chairs that face out towards the gleaming white bow.

It is wonderful to be travelling, but even more significant is that we once again feel comfortable chatting face to face with our fellow passengers, here in the lounge and around the ship. New friendships are being formed as before.

I am thrilled to see the number of posts that have been made to the thread over these four years. Hopefully this will continue to be a virtual home for all sorts of chat, even now that the lovely lounges are again fully operational in the beautiful and amazing real wide world.

Skål! 🥂

he amazingly beautiful real wide world.
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, photopro2 said:
am thrilled to see the number of posts that have been made to the thread over these four years. Hopefully this will continue to be a virtual home for all sorts of chat, even now that the lovely lounges are again fully operational in the beautiful and amazing real wide world.

Skål! 🥂

Thank you  for this thread. I can't believe it was 4 years ago , indeed, a different time for all of us.!

Enjoy your  TA on the Jupiter. I was on it last June .  Now I have to wait till Oct 2025 for my next cruise. But this Virtual Explorer  thread and reading the other  Viking forum threads will do just fine.

It is snowing out my window today ! 

Cheers 🥂

Patti 

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

millybess - 

Glad to hear you are doing the Hong Kong Japan trip.  We are doing Viking Japan-Hong Kong in October 2025, so will be very interested to hear what you do - especially the private tours!

So interesting that you got to meet Ronnie Carrington in Barbados.  We did his photo tour way back in 2019 and told Lorna and Ray about him.  Ray is such a good photographer and hope he learned something from him!

We were just on the Italy/Adriatic/Greece tour with Lorna and Ray.  Also hoping to see a post where we can view all his photographs and relive the experience!

Traveling is fun - and meeting people who share common interests!

We are off back to travel again in May (Barcelona to Bergen to Rekjavik).  Will try to share insights along the way.

Have a wonderful time in Asia!

Yes, it was because of you and Lorna that we booked Carrington in Barbados.  Had a great time with him and learned so much about the culture.

We are very excited about our upcoming trip and we're very busy preparing for it.  We'll post on @Peregrina651 Far East thread when we have a chance.

We return mid-May. Enjoy your next adventure!!

2 hours ago, photopro2 said:

I am thrilled to see the number of posts that have been made to the thread over these four years. Hopefully this will continue to be a virtual home for all sorts of chat, even now that the lovely lounges are again fully operational in the beautiful and amazing real wide world.

I agree, and thanks for starting it.

Edited by millybess
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 8:13 AM, TayanaLorna said:

Yes we did see flamenco at Corral de la Moreria.  It was quite exciting.  We were seated 1 table from the stage and saw their expresssions and movements very well.

It sounds like you might have had our table.  I'm glad you were able to get in.  It did make for good photos.

I had read here previously that if you book it yourself on their website rather than through a tour you will get the best tables.  Is that what you did?

14 minutes ago, millybess said:

It sounds like you might have had our table.  I'm glad you were able to get in.  It did make for good photos.

I had read here previously that if you book it yourself on their website rather than through a tour you will get the best tables.  Is that what you did?

Yes. If I can find a direct website for booking tickets, tours or hotels I book direct.  I do find we get the best tables, hotel rooms and can actually communicate with a guide that way as well as get the best price.  I could not get the show/drink package so booked the show/dinner one.  We like to eat early anyways.  Food was very good but didn't quite think it was Michelein starred good.  Really, thanks for that tip.

In hindsight, I wished we had booked the Tuk Tuk tour you mentioned as the weather was just awful for walking around.   Ah well, we will be back.  It is cheaper and easier to fly from SJU to Madrid then most places in the US.

1 minute ago, TayanaLorna said:

Yes. If I can find a direct website for booking tickets, tours or hotels I book direct.  I do find we get the best tables, hotel rooms and can actually communicate with a guide that way as well as get the best price.  I could not get the show/drink package so booked the show/dinner one.  We like to eat early anyways.  Food was very good but didn't quite think it was Michelein starred good.  Really, thanks for that tip.

In hindsight, I wished we had booked the Tuk Tuk tour you mentioned as the weather was just awful for walking around.   Ah well, we will be back.  It is cheaper and easier to fly from SJU to Madrid then most places in the US.

Yes, as you know, we did the show/dinner also.  No, definitely not Michelin Star, but fun.  We did enjoy the Tuk Tuk tour.  Did you get to the Palace?

It's easy for us to get to Madrid from Toronto also.  I just wish it was as easy for us to get to San Juan.  

I can't find a "Dinner Reservation" thread to post this on so I'll post it here.

I was just on MVJ and I noticed that they have now added this to the dinner reservation site:

"In case reservations are fully booked, they can be made directly on board the ship."

🙂

18 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

But as many have said on this topic, Viking seems to only reserve about 40% of the seats for online booking.  Very easy to book once onboard and the rest open up

I think that's right. We often arrive and there are a lot of empty tables.  I think they keep them open for those who weren't able to book online.

15 hours ago, millybess said:

I can't find a "Dinner Reservation" thread to post this on so I'll post it here.

I was just on MVJ and I noticed that they have now added this to the dinner reservation site:

"In case reservations are fully booked, they can be made directly on board the ship."

🙂

It should say "if you can't make reservations here, try when you board your ship."

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

We got this same message last month when we booked for May.  I believed and still do that it means that all the online reservations are now booked (we didn’t encounter that and got two at each restaurant between 6:30-7:30). But as many have said on this topic, Viking seems to only reserve about 40% of the seats for online booking.  Very easy to book once onboard and the rest open up.  We ate five times at chefs table on our last cruise.

Could be most folks try to book tables for 2 on MVJ.  Haven't been able to reserve a table for 2 but can always get one for 4 or 6 folks.  I never saw Viking seat 2 people at a table for 4 or 6.

15 hours ago, millybess said:

Yes, as you know, we did the show/dinner also.  No, definitely not Michelin Star, but fun.  We did enjoy the Tuk Tuk tour.  Did you get to the Palace?

It's easy for us to get to Madrid from Toronto also.  I just wish it was as easy for us to get to San Juan.  

No palace.  Did not get advance tickets.  With the cold weather and rain, folks wanted to be inside and it was too crowded.

• Like 1

I'm glad that Viking doesn't allow all tables in the reserved restaurants to be booked ahead of time.  Other cruise lines, including luxury cruise lines, take the same approach, and allow for passengers to book onboard.  IMO, it gives more options, not less options, for passengers, and there is little benefit for Viking Oceans to take the approach (other than, perhaps, to add an enhancement to entice passengers to book higher level cabins/suites).  Thanks to reading CC and learning what other passengers have stated works for them, we find this restaurant booking system, and excursion booking system, works well for us.  I'm glad that Viking has updated information on their website as not all people follow CC and would think there would be no opportunity to book onboard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

No palace.  Did not get advance tickets.  With the cold weather and rain, folks wanted to be inside and it was too crowded.

We were fortunate enough to go to St. Petersburg with Viking.  Nothing compares to the palaces in and around St. Petersburg.  Even without that experience, the Madrid Royal Palace was underwhelming -- fairly drab and lots of stairs.

2 hours ago, mariners said:

I'm glad that Viking doesn't allow all tables in the reserved restaurants to be booked ahead of time.  Other cruise lines, including luxury cruise lines, take the same approach, and allow for passengers to book onboard.  IMO, it gives more options, not less options, for passengers, and there is little benefit for Viking Oceans to take the approach (other than, perhaps, to add an enhancement to entice passengers to book higher level cabins/suites).  Thanks to reading CC and learning what other passengers have stated works for them, we find this restaurant booking system, and excursion booking system, works well for us.  I'm glad that Viking has updated information on their website as not all people follow CC and would think there would be no opportunity to book onboard.

I agree with you.  We often change our reserved time for one reason or another.  

I disagree about booking a higher level cabin in order to gain more restaurant reservations.  I can't imagine paying thousands more $ so that I could eat in one of their specialty restaurants.  I think that if one books a higher level cabin, it's probably because of square footage and location.

I'm glad they posted this information on their website.  It's not often Viking updates their website with relevant information, unfortunately.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, millybess said:

I agree with you.  We often change our reserved time for one reason or another.  

I disagree about booking a higher level cabin in order to gain more restaurant reservations.  I can't imagine paying thousands more $ so that I could eat in one of their specialty restaurants.  I think that if one books a higher level cabin, it's probably because of square footage and location.

I'm glad they posted this information on their website.  It's not often Viking updates their website with relevant information, unfortunately.  

@millybess

Again agree with you.  All this fuss about advance reservations - not necessary.

We always just book when we get onboard as then we know what the CT menus are and have a better idea of how we wish to eat.

Even then, we found on a 2 week cruise at least:

-People cancel like crazy the 2nd week as they make other plans or find they don't like the specialty restaurants.  This opens up a lot of space!

-People don't cancel but simply are NO SHOWS.  Viking told us they get about 10-20% no shows each night and it increases if the weather gets rough.

We've often just gone down to CT or Manfredi's and get seated with no reservation due to the no shows.

• Like 3

Hello from Viking Star.

Tonight, On Viking Today, CD Damian has announced that they are bringing back...Abba and Beatles Shows.  He didn't say when it would be restarted.  Hinted that it also could be a slightly different repertoire. 

Not sure it is fleetwide.

Anyone else hear about this?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

Hello from Viking Star.

Tonight, On Viking Today, CD Damian has announced that they are bringing back...Abba and Beatles Shows.  He didn't say when it would be restarted.  Hinted that it also could be a slightly different repertoire. 

Not sure it is fleetwide.

Anyone else hear about this?

One word: why??

• Like 2