The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

Feta Cheese, I hope you post  a report of your cruise. That is one I would really like to do, looking at  Dec 30, 2024, If I can get my sister to agree. Have to decide by Dec 31 for our promotion. 

I have never been to Hawaii .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We go on Feb. 14.  It is easy for us to fly to LA and cruise from there.  
But since I am in The Virtual Explorers Lounge, I have a question, I don’t know where else to ask.  We always fly to Europe business class. We have always taken the two seats in the middle, which means we each have a different aisle to enter and exit.  And this has proved difficult for me with a bad shoulder to get my carry on up in the bin with my husband on the other aisle.  So we have booked our flights to London in May with two business class aisles, front and back to each other, like 7A and 8A.  Anyone have an opinion on this?  I can still change seats. TIA

22 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

But since I am in The Virtual Explorers Lounge, I have a question, I don’t know where else to ask.  We always fly to Europe business class. We have always taken the two seats in the middle, which means we each have a different aisle to enter and exit.  And this has proved difficult for me with a bad shoulder to get my carry on up in the bin with my husband on the other aisle.  So we have booked our flights to London in May with two business class aisles, front and back to each other, like 7A and 8A.  Anyone have an opinion on this?  I can still change seats. TIA

My husband and I have done this twice, and it has worked well for us. Just check to see the configuration of the seat you choose. Usually, one seat angles close to the window, while the one behind angles closer to the aisle. The one closest to the window is more private but a little harder to get in and out of. You'll be spending lots of time together on the ship, so this will be your alone time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

So we have booked our flights to London in May with two business class aisles, front and back to each other, like 7A and 8A.  Anyone have an opinion on this?  I can still change seats. TIA

"I have always depended on the kindness of strangers."  Last trip I booked us side by side in the middle. Not only do I have trouble lifting over my head, but I am also under-tall -- and DH was on the other side of the plane. Before DH could get around to my side of the plane to help me, a gentlemen on my side hoisted my bag in to the overhead for and then hauled it down for me at the end of the flight.

For our upcoming trip,  I made sure we were both on the same aisle -- one window, one aisle. I'll let you know when we meet up on the ship how it worked out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Azulann said:

Feta Cheese, I hope you post  a report of your cruise. That is one I would really like to do, looking at  Dec 30, 2024, If I can get my sister to agree. Have to decide by Dec 31 for our promotion. 

I have never been to Hawaii .

Thanks for your encouragement.  Have not decided to post a Live From.  Will be traveling with friends, and don't know how much time I could spend on this.

Did enjoy writing my 2 prior Live Froms, although there was some thread drift on last O.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

"I have always depended on the kindness of strangers."  Last trip I booked us side by side in the middle. Not only do I have trouble lifting over my head, but I am also under-tall -- and DH was on the other side of the plane. Before DH could get around to my side of the plane to help me, a gentlemen on my side hoisted my bag in to the overhead for and then hauled it down for me at the end of the flight.

For our upcoming trip,  I made sure we were both on the same aisle -- one window, one aisle. I'll let you know when we meet up on the ship how it worked out.

When I see you in London, we will have flown in single seats by the window rows from Denver, a 12 hour trip.  We can compare!  And yes, my husband has made “deals” with others:  I’ll help your partner if you’ll help mine.”  I hate to think of spending these long flights alone in my pod.  But even with aisles across, the seats are always slightly offset, so not a straight line where you can see the other person.  Well, it is an experiment.

11 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

We are going in the opposite direction in February, London to LA, and have booked 2K and 3K on a BA flight with their club suite (unless there’s an aircraft swap). You can always get up and chat to your partner and your husband can easily get anything out of the overhead locker. Basically it shouldn’t be a problem

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

😳😳😳😀😀😀

IMG_9530.jpeg

Someone is getting excited!!!!!!!😁

Happy New Year ! You are starting out with a bang" World Cruise" . Looking forward to your reports along the way 

Cheer 🥂

Patti

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kountess said:

My husband and I have done this twice, and it has worked well for us. Just check to see the configuration of the seat you choose. Usually, one seat angles close to the window, while the one behind angles closer to the aisle. The one closest to the window is more private but a little harder to get in and out of. You'll be spending lots of time together on the ship, so this will be your alone time!

Exactly what we do, and so far it has worked out well. My husband is hard of hearing and as I am usually served first, I mention it to the flight attendant (once is all that is needed, they have remarkable memories!).

Hello V friends on CC.

Currently on Star, Hawaiian Islands Sojourn.

After some consideration, I will soon post a Live From.  I did enjoy my prior O and V posts.

We're traveling with good friends, so I didn't think I would have much time.  However, both prior posts seemed to be well received.

• Like 9

I just want to say I deeply appreciate the “live from” posts here. We seem to be doing mostly land tours lately (Holy Lands last spring, Nova Scotia and PEI this coming June), which I’m greatly enjoying, but cruising is a special world unto itself. Thank you for letting me live vicariously until our next Viking cruise! 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

I just want to say I deeply appreciate the “live from” posts here. We seem to be doing mostly land tours lately (Holy Lands last spring, Nova Scotia and PEI this coming June), which I’m greatly enjoying, but cruising is a special world unto itself. Thank you for letting me live vicariously until our next Viking cruise! 

@Twitchly

Thanks for your kind comments.

I enjoy it, and I've learned a lot from my cruise critic friends, so... a way to help others.

• Like 4

Friends! Wanted to give you a heads up that the “Live” thread on Sky’s World Cruise is underway.  It was started someone who embarked in Fort Lauderdale. I’m planning on posting to it once we board in Los Angeles this Saturday.  Come along for the ride-should be interesting, probably (hopefully) not as many changes as “Magical Mystery Cruise” but maybe….so far Israel has been removed from the itinerary and the big question now is whether we will get to sail the Red Sea or will we be rerouted and if so to where?🤔

Are bags are packed and we are ready to go on Friday morning (at 6:43😡 ) so other than cleaning house I’m not sure what we will do tomorrow.  

IMG_9591.jpeg

• Like 6

Clay, I have been reading the live thread of the WC on Viking Sky. Look forward to your added posts. What an adventure of a lifetime  you two will have!!!! 

Is someone checking in  on your condo to make sure  there is no water leaks etc. while you are  cruising   around the world? 

Bon Voyage 🥂

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

so far Israel has been removed from the itinerary and the big question now is whether we will get to sail the Red Sea or will we be rerouted and if so to where?

I don't think either of the combatants (whose territories border neither the Red Sea nor the Suez Canal) is willing to risk the ire of Egypt, Saudi Arabia and the rest of the world if they mess with the smooth flow of Suez Canal traffic.

There is only one alternative to the Red Sea/Suez Canal: doing it the old-fashioned way around the horn of Africa.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

I don't think either of the combatants (whose territories border neither the Red Sea nor the Suez Canal) is willing to risk the ire of Egypt, Saudi Arabia and the rest of the world if they mess with the smooth flow of Suez Canal traffic.

There is only one alternative to the Red Sea/Suez Canal: doing it the old-fashioned way around the horn of Africa.

Yemen is the problem:
Maersk Pausing Red Sea Transits 'Until Further Notice' After Attack

https://gcaptain.com/maersk-pausing-red-sea-transits-until-further-notice/