The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

2 hours ago, deec said:

sleep 7...reliving the cruise through your report ...make to post when next installment is posted 🙂

👋Oh yay deec!!  So glad it's bringing back such nice memories.

You just sailed on this same cruise.. right? Last week or so?😊

Just now, Sleep7 said:

👋Oh yay deec!!  So glad it's bringing back such nice memories.

You just sailed on this same cruise.. right? Last week or so?😊

We sailed European Sojourn mid September then did the Douro river.  We also really enjoyed Transylvania did you do that as a post extension?  Romanian wines were some of the best we had on our time in Europe.  Who knew?

10 minutes ago, deec said:

We sailed European Sojourn mid September then did the Douro river.  We also really enjoyed Transylvania did you do that as a post extension?  Romanian wines were some of the best we had on our time in Europe.  Who knew?

👏Wow. That is a whole month of sailing fun! Here.. there and everywhere.. AWESOME!!

We didn't do an extension as it was pulling teeth to get DH to take 2 weeks off as it was.

I would have loved to have done that though.. it made me want to visit Romania on a land trip.. spend a few days in Bucharest and then to Transylvania for a few.

It's on my list now.✔️

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Will be on Star later this month.

Re:  Internet/Wi-Fi

Are you able to stream video to phone/device ?  i.e. Apple+, Paramount+

Thanks

Viking says no. Some have reported being able to do so at off hours (3 am). Keep in mind that the ship has limited bandwidth so whatever you’re using reduces what’s available for everyone else. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Viking says no. Some have reported being able to do so at off hours (3 am). Keep in mind that the ship has limited bandwidth so whatever you’re using reduces what’s available for everyone else. 

See also 

seems like things are changing although unsure if it is fleet wide. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wine-wine-wine said:

See also 

seems like things are changing although unsure if it is fleet wide. 

Post #1 of the thread cited specifically said: Viking has made changes to their internet service program launching first on the Saturn.

• Thanks 1

I hope they put the paid service on separate Starlink channels otherwise they will totally wipe out the included service bandwidth.

Also, if the paid WiFi is faster, then more “work from home” guests will travel and put in a few hours a day.

Edited by Tom.in.nc
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CurlerRob said:

@Clay Clayton, is this the vaunted pistachio bun? On Star - Hawaiian Sojurn. 🍺🥌

image.thumb.jpeg.36defee54acbc9157f818417beacdece.jpeg

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

Will see what Clay says but it doesn't look like it to me.

Not the one I love. This one (from what someone else told me) is cream filled where the vaunted one is a spiral roll with pistachios and raisins between and on top. 

IMG_5007.webp

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

Not the one I love. This one (from what someone else told me) is cream filled where the vaunted one is a spiral roll with pistachios and raisins between and on top. 

IMG_5007.webp

Thanks. You’re right, ours has pistachios on the side and is cream filled. The quest continues… 🍺🥌

6 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

IMG_5007.webp

5 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Thanks. You’re right, ours has pistachios on the side and is cream filled. The quest continues… 🍺🥌

@CurlerRob

Will be on Hawaiian Islands Sojourn 28 December.  Anticipation building...will ask if classic pistachio bun can be made, but will enjoy whatever they serve!  

If not much trouble....Who is CD and GM.  Also interested to know how voyage is progressing, and any general impressions of ship, crew, entertainment, lectures, etc.

Thanks.

26 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

@CurlerRob

Will be on Hawaiian Islands Sojourn 28 December.  Anticipation building...will ask if classic pistachio bun can be made, but will enjoy whatever they serve!  

If not much trouble....Who is CD and GM.  Also interested to know how voyage is progressing, and any general impressions of ship, crew, entertainment, lectures, etc.

Thanks.

CD is Cornealia, I don’t know who the GM is.

Take my impressions with a grain of salt - we are finally back on board Viking for the first time since fall 2019, so there’s a long gap. Just starting a 3 year cashing of many vouchers. 

Ship - instantly reminded of how VO design results in a clean and open environment and how we greatly prefer it to the more traditional design. No real evidence of wear and tear or lack of maintenance. 

Crew - cabin and bar staff seem equally as skilled and attentive as before. MDR still seems to have some issues with the system and processes around meals. Early days - the food itself is ok but the industry-wide reductions are noticeable (fortunately not to the smoked salmon). 

Good variety of lectures. My feeling is that the entertainment is much more prevalent in the venues than before. There is limited time in Explorer’s for quiet conversation or observation. 

All in, a pleasure to be onboard, despite the 40 knots and 20’ seas on the nose. 🍺🥌

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

Take my impressions with a grain of salt - we are finally back on board Viking for the first time since fall 2019, so there’s a long gap. Just starting a 3 year cashing of many vouchers. 

Ship - instantly reminded of how VO design results in a clean and open environment and how we greatly prefer it to the more traditional design. No real evidence of wear and tear or lack of maintenance. 

Crew - cabin and bar staff seem equally as skilled and attentive as before. MDR still seems to have some issues with the system and processes around meals. Early days - the food itself is ok but the industry-wide reductions are noticeable (fortunately not to the smoked salmon). 

Good variety of lectures. My feeling is that the entertainment is much more prevalent in the venues than before. There is limited time in Explorer’s for quiet conversation or observation. 

All in, a pleasure to be onboard, despite the 40 knots and 20’ seas on the nose. 🍺🥌

Thanks for your quick response and impressions.  

1st V was December 2021, Greek Odyssey on Venus, just after restart.  Only about 400 pax and full crew.  We were really spoiled by great crew, who could not do enough to please us.

Enjoy your voyage, although with rough seas.  Have read your roll call, one couple missed departure, and will join in Hilo.  Such a disappointment.

5 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

This our 10th VOC since Covid.  I concur totally with your observations.  It has been a constantly improving experience as things have gotten much better the past few times.  We are on Neptune in high seas hi winds half way across the Atlantic!  
We had the best Manfredis meal (service and quality) 2 nights ago and the best CT (Asian Panorama) last night.  Maybe we are blessed with a great chef and staff!

only complaint is like you said…. No place for quiet conversation in the bar areas.  The noise volume of the entertainers has risen so loud, you cannot converse. From the guitar to the duo to the pianist, this is the loudest cruise we’ve had. Unbearable.  They must be trying to cultivate the 20-40 year olds.  Just disappointing.  So we are forced to the Aquavit bar.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Thanks for your general observations, quite reassuring.

The GM's name should be on the digital board displaying photos and names of officers. It is in the corridor that goes past the lift on the port side just across from the piano in the living room, between guest services Chef's Table. It sometimes takes a day or two to update after a changeover day but is usually correct.

Hope the sea settles down for you soon. 

• Thanks 1

We were on Viking Venus in October and we also encountered loud and simply rude passengers during the Explorer Society Gathering.  They talked laughed shrieked and drowned out the speeches and entertainment.  I felt so sorry for the speakers and entertainers involved.  

It was the first and hopefully last time this happened on our 19 (Ocean and River) cruises with Viking.  Looking forward to our 20th next year being peaceful! 

9 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

We will be on the Star in March, try and keep it tidy please 😀

• 2 weeks later...