Constellation "Revolution"

Gracie115

37 minutes ago, baldilocks said:

We just want to cruise without the doctor's note....70+ and in reasonable shape for our ages with controlled health issues.

Almost everyone in that age group (we are 75 & 78 and in good health) has some "controlled" health issues, be it high blood pressure, diabetes, hypertension, etc.  We do need to realize that cruising will be different than it was 3 months ago.  Cruise lines themselves will be looking at reducing liabilities as well as making ships safer for passengers and crew.  New world, new normal.  

What makes us nervous is that full payment may be due before the cruise line settles on the 'board or not to board' question. We have a Harmony cruise on 11/29 with a final payment due 9/1. If the doctor won't sign the note (which he won't the way it is worded...citing his liability issues), where are we left with cruise fare? Royal will probably want to give us FCC. But if you can't get on the ship in the first place what good does FCC do us? If we cancel the cruise we loose our deposits. Go or not to go is the question. We just feel we are in the middle of the world of confusion.

As I recall, if Royal doesn't think you're fit to travel, you are denied boarding, and your fare is refunded, but as a FUTURE CRUISE CREDIT.  If, due to whatever health reasons, there's no chance of ever getting a note, then it would seem you'd be SOL.  Of interest, some of the better 'trip insurance' companies also require doc's notes for customers over a certain age.  So this may eventually be patterned after that 'script'.

3 hours ago, baldilocks said:

What makes us nervous is that full payment may be due before the cruise line settles on the 'board or not to board' question. We have a Harmony cruise on 11/29 with a final payment due 9/1. If the doctor won't sign the note (which he won't the way it is worded...citing his liability issues), where are we left with cruise fare? Royal will probably want to give us FCC. But if you can't get on the ship in the first place what good does FCC do us? If we cancel the cruise we loose our deposits. Go or not to go is the question. We just feel we are in the middle of the world of confusion.

I would cancel if things were still questionable by final payment time. I have a Princess cruise set for Dec 10th with final payment date in September. If things are still up in the air with this virus by September then I’m going to cancel. Not taking any chances since my husband is diabetic.

• Like 2

Hi 

have sailed on the Constellation many times and loved the 14 night southern Caribbean cruises, continued sailing the itineraries on the Eclipse.

Quick question, we have a trip booked in Feb 2021, we are going if we can. But are the specialty restaurants still Tuscan and Murano also do they have Silk Harvest

thanks and stay safe 😎👍🏻

3 hours ago, swigso said:

Hi 

have sailed on the Constellation many times and loved the 14 night southern Caribbean cruises, continued sailing the itineraries on the Eclipse.

Quick question, we have a trip booked in Feb 2021, we are going if we can. But are the specialty restaurants still Tuscan and Murano also do they have Silk Harvest

thanks and stay safe 😎👍🏻

No, Murano and Silk Harvest have never been on Constellation.  Tuscan  and Qsiine-LePetit Chef are the specialty restaurants on Connie.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, baldilocks said:

By September 1, if it is not crystal clear about the absolute requirements needed for your cruise, if there is one,  I personally would give them no additional money at risk.  I would rather lose the relatively small amount of deposit money and cruise another day.

1 minute ago, baldilocks said:

Cancellation of the 11/29 Harmony cruise would cost us a bit more than an ordinary deposit as we have applied a FCC from a cancelled April cruise on the Brilliance. I guess we are just dead in the water.

Double check but I believe if you cancel the cruise prior to final payment they will reissue the FCC with the original expiry date.

On 4/27/2020 at 4:38 AM, WonderMan3 said:

Constellation's last drydock was back in May of 2017. If we go by your 5 year rule then it would next go in around May 2022. The ship is only scheduled right now through spring of 2022 in the Caribbean, so it doing the revolution updates right after that would make sense and is what some of us had already predicted as it prevents any disruption to the current sailing schedule. The last thing Celebrity is going to want to do is lose any more bookings by taking the ship out of service unless it's financially necessary.

Since crusing will not commence any time soon and even if it does there will be muh more supply than demand. Hence given that the European cruising season is likely not to happen at all the revolution could be commenced after the shipyard will reopen again if capacity would allow it. There are surely several cases studied by the company on how to proceed and one of them is sure to get rid of Connstelation and maybe others. What at the end will or already was decided we will hear over the next months at some point.

• Like 2

Next Constellation cruise still scheduled as the 12 June "Best Of Italy, Malta & Montenegro". 

Will be very interested to see what happens to that one as we get closer.  Don't see how they're going to manage an Italy departure.

Edited by canderson

13 hours ago, canderson said:

Next Constellation cruise still scheduled as the 12 June "Best Of Italy, Malta & Montenegro". 

Will be very interested to see what happens to that one as we get closer.  Don't see how they're going to manage an Italy departure.

It will not happen 100%, not sure if the borders will open at all for tourism / cruising this year and if yes ealiest Auguat or September.

15 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

It will not happen 100%, not sure if the borders will open at all for tourism / cruising this year and if yes ealiest Auguat or September.

We're scheduled to be on Constellation in late August for 9 days.  Even if it's just a cruise to nowhere, I'll be happy.  🍷

My question is on the condition of the Constellation. Not concerned about being ‘revolutionized’ but don’t want to cruise in a shabby ship. For those who sailed her in 2019, did you notice stains or worn areas??  We are considering a European sailing in Sept 2021. 

6 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

My question is on the condition of the Constellation. Not concerned about being ‘revolutionized’ but don’t want to cruise in a shabby ship. For those who sailed her in 2019, did you notice stains or worn areas??  We are considering a European sailing in Sept 2021. 

Was on her at the begining of this year, for a ship that is about to go on drydock the condition is quite good, but a lot of the outside areas nd aso places like Ocean View are outdated and not worth to go on the ship including cabins before the ship would get revolutionized. I wouldn't be suprised if they will get rid of her instead.

17 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

We're scheduled to be on Constellation in late August for 9 days.  Even if it's just a cruise to nowhere, I'll be happy.  🍷

Europe is not like the caribbean where missing out most of the islands isn't cosnidering a loss, but you don't go cruising in Europe for being out at sea only.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

I wouldn't be suprised if they will get rid of her instead.

I would.

I keep asking this same question ... who is in the market for a used cruise ship right now?  Certainly not one of the other cruise lines since they're all (bad pun) in the same boat.  You certainly don't sell a ship in Constellation's current condition for scrap.  So far, no one has had any suggestions.

2 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

The ship is not shabby in my opinion, in fact I would be happy to sail on her even though it looks like the facelift isn’t going to happen soon! We had four cruises on Connie last year the last one in October 2019! We have had the first part of our b2b cancelled and are waiting for them to cancel the June 12th leg.I believe this ship has one of the best crew of any Celebrity ships and we have been on six of the other ships. The ship is older but well kept! 

• Like 2

As Celebrity assesses the needs of their fleet they will have to look at their assets. We know Edge and Apex will be in service, we are reasonably sure that all the Solstice class ships will be in service. That leaves the Millennium class ships and the expedition ships. There are 2 M ships that have been "Revolutionized". If it is deemed necessary to requirements, and they are able to sell enough passengers to make it viable then they will put the non "Revolutionized" ships in service. I don't think there will be any Refund or reduction to those who booked any cruises expecting the "Revolution" would be done. Our upcoming cruise in January aboard Eclipse was supposed to be after the "revolution" but they put that back months before the whole COVID 19 thing. There was no talk of compensation, in fact they didn't even let me know directly. I found out through a random search of cruise news.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, canderson said:

I would.

I keep asking this same question ... who is in the market for a used cruise ship right now?  Certainly not one of the other cruise lines since they're all (bad pun) in the same boat.  You certainly don't sell a ship in Constellation's current condition for scrap.  So far, no one has had any suggestions.

I think it just as likely that Constellation and Infinity and a host of other older, non renovated ships on other lines may just go to wherever cruise ships go to "die" after no one wants them anymore...……  It's going to very difficult to fill all these ships once this is over......for one many former cruisers may not want to get on a ship.....and two, getting new younger cruisers to try cruising is a long way off....the pictures of bodies being carried off on stretchers in Ft. Lauderdale is a little to raw to entice new business...they will have to prove themselves to a whole new set of possible passengers....heck they will have to prove themselves to EXISTING passengers again.....  so what will happen to it?  No idea, just don't see how the lines can economically keep them floating....

Now this may not happen the second the lines are all sailing again, but I'm betting it will in the next year or two.

Edited by Gracie115

If things go that badly for the industry, and it well may do so unless/until there's a proven vaccine made available, I'd think it more likely that any idled ships with be carefully mothballed.  Too much value for potential future use and no buyers.

4 minutes ago, canderson said:

If things go that badly for the industry, and it well may do so unless/until there's a proven vaccine made available, I'd think it more likely that any idled ships with be carefully mothballed.  Too much value for potential future use and no buyers.

And that I think is a distinct possibility also.