Any news from the Amsterdam?

mame42

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Marine traffic still shows her far off in the harbor with no tender activity.  It's now after 9MP so I doubt if anything will happen today.

Roy

It's also a holiday weekend...so that may put things off.  At least they are next in line!

Linda R.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

patience is a virtue!

The various authorities (Durban, Klang, and now Jarkara) are definitely testing Mercer's virtue.  And now those Indonesian crew, so close to home but still not there.

Roy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Entering the port of Tanjung Priok (Jakarta) for Amsterdam now moved back to May 4 or 5 - patience is a virtue! 

I can imagine the frustration on Amsterdam right now.  What a crazy world !

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

The various authorities (Durban, Klang, and now Jarkara) are definitely testing Mercer's virtue.  And now those Indonesian crew, so close to home but still not there.

Roy

Wait until they get to Manila!   This is what's going on there right now.  10 cruise ships in the harbor waiting (within red circle; none are docked).  More ships are on their way there.

Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 11.36.46 AM.jpg

New post from Capt. Mercer; he's now looking at Monday, 04 May, to get into port (Tanjung Priok) and then Tuesday, Cinco de Mayo to disembark his non-essential Indonesian staff, followed by a rather short voyage to Manila to join the already very long queue of cruise ships and a fourteen-day quarantine period, before being allowed to repat his Filipinos  - the games continue...........

http://captainjonathan.com/

• Like 2

His post paints a remarkable picture of the situation with the cruise lines as they return crew members to their homes around the world. Ships going in every direction. (There goes the refund money.)

All of this....I presume....because the CDC required air charter flights only for crew members, not allowing them to fly commercially....even if there were flights available.

Edited by DFD1

7 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Hopefully they can offload our bags in Jakarta next Tuesday and get them started home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was wondering the same, any verification that they did offload the luggage?

I just received this letter from HAL about our luggage.   Apparently they want us to send in an inventory of what is in our luggage.   I for one, didn't inventory what was in our luggage and there was no requirement to do so at the time.   I will do the best from memory. 

I am curious by what they mean by "TSA non compliance".   The standards for what is allowed in an aircraft cabin or luggage hold is far different than what is allowed for surface shipping.   Not sure what they mean here.   Any ideas?

"Additionally, please be aware that all luggage may be subject to Customs and Border Protection inspection for Transportation Security Administration (TSA) compliance. Consequently, we would like to ask that you compile a manifest of all the items in your luggage, particularly anything that may be subject to duty collection or TSA non-compliance. "

Here is the letter.   It''s clear to me that the fate of our luggage is quite low on the list of things that HAL is worried about at the moment.   They will offload our luggage in "the coming weeks"   Maybe Thanksgiving is a better estimate as to when we may see our luggage.

May 3, 2020

Dear Valued Guest,

We regret any inconvenience or concern the delay in returning your luggage to you has caused.

As you know, at the time you disembarked Amsterdam in Fremantle, Australia, it was our intention for the ship to sail to Fort Lauderdale, where we would offload and ship your luggage. However, the situation regarding COVID-19 continues to evolve, and on April 9, 2020, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) modified their previous “no-sail order” for cruise ships forbidding the disembarkation of travelers (passengers or crew) at any U.S. ports. In light of the extended pause in operations and our need to repatriate our crew, Amsterdam was re-routed to Asia and will spend a long layup period in Malaysia, and your luggage will be shipped back to the U.S. from Asia.

We understand you may have questions about the steps we are taking to ensure your luggage is safely and securely returned to you. Please know we have thoroughly assessed this situation and, shipping from Asia via secure container is the only viable option available at this time. We are actively working with local authorities to obtain approval to offload all luggage and your personal belongings in the coming weeks. All items will be kept together and shipped to the U.S. in a secure shipping container, safely handled and processed by an experienced, professional third-party shipping company.

As far as passport information, this will only be shared with government Customs officials who monitor the shipping of personal items, the same officials who would review your passport information if you were to visit their country. Please be assured your personal information will be handled with absolute confidentiality and, as previously advised, in accordance with Holland America Line’s official privacy policy. Additionally, please be aware that all luggage may be subject to Customs and Border Protection inspection for Transportation Security Administration (TSA) compliance. Consequently, we would like to ask that you compile a manifest of all the items in your luggage, particularly anything that may be subject to duty collection or TSA non-compliance. Once completed, please return the form to us by email at luggage_shipping@hollandamerica.com or by fax at 604-683-8613. Please note, this form is not required if you provided an inventory of your belongings prior to leaving the ship.

Once more, we will update you when we have more detailed information. In the meantime, you may contact our World Cruise team at 800-247-4504 or World_Cruise_Reservations@hollandamerica.com with any questions you may have.

Again, we sincerely apologize for any dissatisfaction with this necessary alteration and the ensuing delay, and we greatly appreciate your continued patience and understanding.

Kind regards,

Holland America Line

I received this email from HAL in response to my query as to whether the FCC had to be booked or used by Dec 2021 -  As we have expected - you must book by Dec 2021

I have yet to receive any clarification about whether our 125% FCC is based on the entire base fare or 50% of the base fare.   If you have an email with clarification on this - please post.

============================================

Thank you for contacting us regarding your sailing on ms Amsterdam.

We received your inquiry regarding the Future Cruise Credits and we are happy to inform you that the 125% credit you will be receiving can be used on any cruise as late as 2022, as long as it is booked before December 31st 2021. 

Thank you again for contacting us with your concerns, and please feel free to follow up with any additional comments or questions.

Sincerely,

Office of the President

On 5/2/2020 at 1:56 AM, Copper10-8 said:

Entering the port of Tanjung Priok (Jakarta) for Amsterdam now moved back to May 4 or 5 - patience is a virtue! 

Patience is a virtue, acquire it if you can--seldom in a woman and never in a man!

• Like 1

Re:  Latest luggage letter:  I packed in such a hurry that I threw things into my duffels with no rhyme or reason.  How should I know how many of what is in there???  Furthermore, I emptied a safe of cash and jewelry for a friend who was caught on the overland excursion and flown directly to the USA almost a week earlier.  I don't know exactly what was in there either because I just stuck her stuff in a duffle; I did not inventory it.  And speaking of those folks, someone else has packed and boxed their belongings, including the almost two months of gifts left in their cabins, so how can they give an accurate inventory.  

I have not been upset about luggage until now.  This requirement, I think, is the last straw.