Any news from the Amsterdam?

mame42

1 hour ago, Indianadaytripper said:

I suppose you meant  to say $25,000?

I think this was referring to the $2,500 cap on travel expenses.  We got a similar email and chose the cash but have yet to see the check.  Everything else has been received - except, of course, luggage - so we are in pretty good shape.  Bank of America will transfer our credit balance to our bank within 2-3 days.

1 hour ago, Indianadaytripper said:

I suppose you meant  to say $25,000?

No this is the expense reimbursement for expenses incurred getting home from Fremantle.  They emailed us the same options to take FCC instead of cash.

26 minutes ago, Fredspak said:

I think this was referring to the $2,500 cap on travel expenses.  We got a similar email and chose the cash but have yet to see the check.  Everything else has been received - except, of course, luggage - so we are in pretty good shape.  Bank of America will transfer our credit balance to our bank within 2-3 days.

Seems we’re like you guys, glad We didn’t pack any dirty underwear.

4 hours ago, Storylady said:

Angel, DRM Wine Steward, posted a video of the last group on the Amsterdam going ashore. Angel is the one who created several of the other excellent videos. Enjoy their happiness.

https://youtu.be/HD9YlS5sWMg 

A great video to view.  I appreciate it being posted.  

Given what these people have endured--not just on the Amsterdam, but on vessels of many cruise companies--why would they desire to return for service?

I wonder if the next major challenge for cruise lines--if and when they will be able to return to service-- will be the recruitment and training of new crew members.  Even if the previous crew members choose to return, the amount of time to re-train them before their ship enters revenue service service again will not be insignificant, I don't think.  

26 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

A great video to view.  I appreciate it being posted.  

Given what these people have endured--not just on the Amsterdam, but on vessels of many cruise companies--why would they desire to return for service?

I wonder if the next major challenge for cruise lines--if and when they will be able to return to service-- will be the recruitment and training of new crew members.  Even if the previous crew members choose to return, the amount of time to re-train them before their ship enters revenue service service again will not be insignificant, I don't think.  

It will take a couple of months now to get it all up and running..

49 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Why would these crews want to return?  I think the video says it all.  So much for the frequent comments on many threads regarding the supposed mistreatment of HAL's crews.

They will be back.  With salary and tips they do much better financially on a HAL ship than they would be doing at home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tampa Girl said:

Why would these crews want to return?  I think the video says it all.  So much for the frequent comments on many threads regarding the supposed mistreatment of HAL's crews.

I know you will never cruise Hal again, because you believe Hal mistreats their employees, I will because I don't believe these stories.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir PMP said:

I know you will never cruise Hal again, because you believe Hal mistreats their employees, I will because I don't believe these stories.

I agree with you.  Last week I read the account of a Cruise and Travel Director on the Koningsdam and she, an employee, was rather Complimentary of the way Corporate was handling things  She was not so kind to land based governments.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

You totally misread my post!  I have never posted that I think HAL mistreats their employees, and my comment about "So much for those who have" was intended to show how ignorant the criticisms were!  

We are 5* on HAL, and we definitely will be sailing with them again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

You totally misread my post!  I have never posted that I think HAL mistreats their employees, and my comment about "So much for those who have" was intended to show how ignorant the criticisms were!  

We are 5* on HAL, and we definitely will be sailing with them again.

Ok, I got you...

1 hour ago, Himself said:

I agree with you.  Last week I read the account of a Cruise and Travel Director on the Koningsdam and she, an employee, was rather Complimentary of the way Corporate was handling things  She was not so kind to land based governments.. 

Yes, and that is the reason that I earlier said:  "The video shows it all."  The crew was happy, grateful to have been well cared for, and are looking forward to coming back.  It was a lovely video.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

Yes, and that is the reason that I earlier said:  "The video shows it all."  The crew was happy, grateful to have been well cared for, and are looking forward to coming back.  It was a lovely video.

Amen!

Angel, DRM wine steward, on the Amsterdam just posted her experiences being quarantined: the good, the funny, the sad parts and the happy parts. She is so talented! Wishing her the best.

Edited by Storylady
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Any news from Captain Mercer?  I keep checking his blog, but the last post was mid-May.  He surely is home by now.  (I hope.)

Someone posted pages ago that they were going on vacation right after he retired.  That comment was made before they had to repatriate the crew members.  I thought the person said to Tahiti, or some similar place.

Now a day or two after he left the Amsterdam, there was a picture posted on his Instagram account of him relaxing on what looks like an airplane.  So, I don't know.

I too would love to hear from him telling us what his last several weeks were like on the ship and his safe arrival home (or, on vacation).

Charles

Edited by ChaCr
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Storylady said:

Angel, DRM wine steward, on the Amsterdam just posted her experiences being quarantined: the good, the funny, the sad parts and the happy parts. She is so talented! Wishing her the best.

Thank you so much for sharing this video 🙂 

Angel is very talented !

On 6/8/2020 at 1:27 PM, rkacruiser said:

Any news from Captain Mercer?  I keep checking his blog, but the last post was mid-May.  He surely is home by now.  (I hope.)

The now retired captain is doing well and enjoying retired life 😉 

• Like 4

On 6/8/2020 at 11:49 PM, Storylady said:

That was a nice video.  I hope all HAL's ships and staff return soon.