Any news from the Amsterdam?

mame42

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Did you give him an Amsterdam t-shirt, as opposed to a Den Haag one? 😉 

I was waiting for an Amsterdammer to comment, that shirt is mine, I lived near the Beethoven straat for 9 years...do you know who is standing on the right?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sir PMP said:

I was waiting for an Amsterdammer to comment, that shirt is mine, I lived near the Beethoven straat for 9 years...do you know who is standing on the right?

LOL! Appears to be Francois Birarda, the Frenchie HD

8 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

Nope, it's a Limburger from Maastricht, hotel manager Habets..now on the Koningsdam, I believe..

Copy! Donatus "Don" Habets, the man with the soft "G,"  is currently assigned to Nieuw Statendam

Amsterdam has plenty of HAL company in Manila Harbor.  Along with the Noordam, Volendam, Nieuw Amsterdam, the Rotterdam sailed in not long ago.  Last I heard was that Amsterdam still has crew from India and Thailand (at least) that need to get home.  Maybe they are waiting for flights from Manila? 

Linda R.

Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 8.39.56 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, cruzingnut said:

Amsterdam has plenty of HAL company in Manila Harbor.  Along with the Noordam, Volendam, Nieuw Amsterdam, the Rotterdam sailed in not long ago.  Last I heard was that Amsterdam still has crew from India and Thailand (at least) that need to get home.  Maybe they are waiting for flights from Manila? 

Linda R.

Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 8.39.56 PM.png

They are waiting for permission from the locals and they are not just from India and Thailand

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

They are waiting for permission from the locals and they are not just from India and Thailand

That's why I said (at least) from those two places.  It's crazy that it's taking so long to get permission but maybe it's because there are just soooo many ships there all wanting to do the same thing?  Heaven knows that the crew on the Amsterdam doen't have the virus...we never had it on the ship, all the way from the beginning of this mess.

Linda R.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, cruzingnut said:

That's why I said (at least) from those two places.  It's crazy that it's taking so long to get permission but maybe it's because there are just soooo many ships there all wanting to do the same thing?  Heaven knows that the crew on the Amsterdam doen't have the virus...we never had it on the ship, all the way from the beginning of this mess.

Linda R.

Yes, it is and yes, at last count, there's up to twenty four different ships again in the bay, all wanting to do the same thing

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Yes, it is and yes, at last count, there's up to twenty four different ships again in the bay, all wanting to do the same thing

The situation is ridiculous.  If the crew are covid free:  (and have been for how long?):   Let these people be free!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

The situation is ridiculous.  If the crew are covid free:  (and have been for how long?):   Let these people be free!

Agreed, even with laborious disembarkation procedures it should not take a month of off load a ship.

3 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Agreed, even with laborious disembarkation procedures it should not take a month of off load a ship.

I have read that all crew were each under quarantine for a fortnight.  Then, when they were negative, they were entitled to disembark, but immigration had all crew from all ships listed on the one list, so there was no logical order for disembarkation.

Just had an update from a wife of an officer on the Koningsdam which has been involved in gathering different nationalities on the Koningsdam so that they can all go home on a chartered flights. Right now they are headed to Panama where they will embark new Filipino and Indonesian crew that have flown on a chartered flight from Indonesia and Manila. On the same flight will be all Latin Americans and Caribbeans still on Carnival ships (mainly Princess and Seaborn) in Manila Bay. That is probably the reason why the Amsterdam is still in Manila Bay. The new crew members will replace their counterparts who will then be flown home. As for the Latin Americans and Caribbean crew members, they will stay onboard the Koningsdam until their country’s borders open to allow them to go home.

Edited by Storylady
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I have read that all crew were each under quarantine for a fortnight.  Then, when they were negative, they were entitled to disembark, but immigration had all crew from all ships listed on the one list, so there was no logical order for disembarkation.

Before the Amsterdam reached Manila, Filipino cruise ship crew had been quarantined for 14 days in hotels. The Philippine government decided that the crew should be quarantined on ships instead. One of the Filipino crew posted an article about the chaos of Filipinos stuck in hotels and not allowed to go home even after the 14 days.  So it was better for our crew to be quarantined on the ship. The Philippines have over 500,000 Filipino seafarers who will all be returning to the Philippines sometime this year. No wonder there are so many ships still stuck in Manila Bay.

Edited by Storylady
  • Thanks 1

On 6/15/2020 at 4:46 PM, Storylady said:

Before the Amsterdam reached Manila, Filipino cruise ship crew had been quarantined for 14 days in hotels. The Philippine government decided that the crew should be quarantined on ships instead. One of the Filipino crew posted an article about the chaos of Filipinos stuck in hotels and not allowed to go home even after the 14 days.  So it was better for our crew to be quarantined on the ship. The Philippines have over 500,000 Filipino seafarers who will all be returning to the Philippines sometime this year. No wonder there are so many ships still stuck in Manila Bay.

This sounds like Politics to me.

43 minutes ago, Himself said:

This sounds like Politics to me.

Sounds more like constantly changing covid 19 guidelines.

The correct methods are explained here (satire)

Edited by AlanF65
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, dragonfly33478 said:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1999/cruise-ship--1-432-1-718-passengers-3683905/

Just want luggage back before they decide to sell or scrap

Thankfully, this ship is NOT the Amsterdam.  Amsterdam was built in 2000 and has the double funnels.  I did look through the pictures and they are from different ships.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dragonfly33478 said:

More than one Hal publicly for sale...

2 ND one. Is $120 million

.located in phillipines..

I suspect more than 2 available if a buyer is found for particular vessels

Perhaps even the brand

Ymmv

Veendam and Maasdam have been for sale for a couple years now I think.  This one listed looks like the Volendam.  As I said, some of the pictures are from other ships but from the atrium pictures I was able to pin it down to the Volendam.  I'm really, really hoping that the Amsterdam doesn't go on the chopping block.  She's my favorite ship and I've spent just shy of 3 years on her all together. 

Edited by cruzingnut