Any news from the Amsterdam?

mame42

2 minutes ago, cruzingnut said:

I would imagine she has an appt. (such as is may be) for it as it is a standard route this ship does from Miami to/from Singapore.  It's not making a special trip just for our luggage. 

Linda R.

most ships do not have an appointment, only those with time sensitive cargo or passengers. The appointments are expensive. The normal wait time for entry into the Canal is figured into the itinerary and promised delivery date.

Just now, richwmn said:

most ships do not have an appointment, only those with time sensitive cargo or passengers. The appointments are expensive. The normal wait time for entry into the Canal is figured into the itinerary and promised delivery date.

I'm sure they are expen$ive!  I did see somewhere where someone said 4AM on the 13th.  Who knows, but now that it's showing up on the tracking sites again, we"ll all be keeping an eye out for it.  I hope it goes thru during the day; would be fun to catch a screen shot of it in one of the locks!

6 minutes ago, cruzingnut said:

Not sure what you meant when you wrote "wrong ship" when I said handover would be in Rotterdam.  Both the Amsterdam and Rotterdam will be going there.   I read elsewhere that both ships will need to do their required drydock prior to handover and that Rotterdam (city) is hoping to have some kind of good bye ceremony for the Rotterdam (ship).

No I was commenting on the Volendam, so I voided it..

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mame42 said:

Party already planned here.  Since Linda and I live in small condos in a high rise building, we optimistically rented a storage locker for the month of September large enough to socially distance our luggage for fumigation and damage assessment.  Much like in museums of today, our friends may make appointments to peer in the door at or take photos of our exotic luggage exhibit.

I plan on documenting the arrival and unpacking of our bags.  Should be fun to see what's in there that we didn't remember!  I'm not sure that fumigation would be necessary though.  Virus wise I mean; it's been sitting in a container for long enough for anything to die on it and we know there is nothing IN our luggage that would be infected since we were all well.  Only thing could be if it "catches" something during the FedEx handling.  Hmmm...I hope not!  EEK!  Maybe our stuff will sit for a few days in a corner.

1 hour ago, cruzingnut said:

I plan on documenting the arrival and unpacking of our bags.  Should be fun to see what's in there that we didn't remember!  I'm not sure that fumigation would be necessary though.  Virus wise I mean; it's been sitting in a container for long enough for anything to die on it and we know there is nothing IN our luggage that would be infected since we were all well.  Only thing could be if it "catches" something during the FedEx handling.  Hmmm...I hope not!  EEK!  Maybe our stuff will sit for a few days in a corner.

More concerned with possible melted chocolate, mildew, mold, or other musty smells; hence fumigation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mame42 said:

More concerned with possible melted chocolate, mildew, mold, or other musty smells; hence fumigation.

I'm really hoping none of that will be an issue, but who knows.  I'm thinking of starting a thread on our luggage once it gets to  Miami.  Look for it and you can add to the documentation of what condition our stuff is in.  Could be interesting!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

I'm sure they are expen$ive!  I did see somewhere where someone said 4AM on the 13th.  Who knows, but now that it's showing up on the tracking sites again, we"ll all be keeping an eye out for it.  I hope it goes thru during the day; would be fun to catch a screen shot of it in one of the locks!

Someone please post on Cruise Critic once the time the Amsterdam goes through the Canal is known.  would love to watch one of the webcams to view her last transit.

Edited by SJSULIBRARIAN

6 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Someone please post on Cruise Critic once the time the Amsterdam goes through the Canal is known.  would love to watch one of the webcams to view her last transit.

Amsterdam is in the Med heading toward Rotterdam. The luggage from Amsterdam's world cruise is on a freighter headed toward the Panama Canal right now, then on to Miami / Fort Lauderdale. The freighter's name is Gulf Bridge.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, gadabout60 said:

The captain has just posted 

http://captainjonathan.com/the-last-post/

What a wonderful start to the day - an email from Captain Jonathan's Last Post, with lots of beautiful photos.  Thank you for taking the time to compile such a long enjoyable email full of happy memories.  I wish you well in your retirement and hope you get to cruise on a Grand Voyage as a Guest Speaker, once cruise ships start cruising again safely.  In the meantime, take care and keep safe.

32 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Lovely!  Happy retirement to Captain Jonathan.   I wonder how Captain Schuchmann is feeling about all this, just as he takes over the Amsterdam....

Nice look back, many memories. Jeroen is scheduled to do the world cruise on the Zaandam, unless they sell that too..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gadabout60 said:

The captain has just posted 

http://captainjonathan.com/the-last-post/

Thank you! This was so awesome, brought tears to my eyes and reiterated how much I miss cruising!

Happy Retirement Captain Jonathan! It was a pleasure sailing with you!

Edited by Love the beach
  • Like 1

Captain Jonathan Mercer:  "Stay safe, stay well, my sailing companions.  Enjoy your cruising when it returns (and it will with a vengeance) .  .  .  I may occasionally post, however this will be the last which involves the Grand World Voyage .  .  . "

Thank you, Captain Mercer.   May God bless you and your family in the years ahead.

Barbara

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

The very last canal she went through as a HAL ship was the Suez Canal

• Thanks 1

The Amsterdam has left Gibraltar where she stopped for fuel and is on her way to Rotterdam due in on the 15th.  Apparently, she will go to the Damen Shipyards, just down the river from the cruise port.  The Rotterdam, which is at the cruise terminal now (last I looked) will be going there also.  I believe that they need to have their required hull inspection prior to turn over.  I'm sure if @Copper10-8 knows more, he'll chime in. 

I watched the Rotterdam enter the port this morning (NL time) late last night on this website.  There are a number of webcams that can be watched along the river.   I had to refresh the cams frequently though so be patient.  The Amsterdam is due at 6AM local time, Midnight ET.  But, it will take a while before she gets from the 6AM position until she is in view of the river webcams.      https://www.portofrotterdam.com/en/our-port/see-do-and-experience/see/webcams

Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 9.03.27 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1