Any news from the Amsterdam?

mame42

12 hours ago, whogo said:

I am embarrassed when I see that I have made the their/there/they're mistake or it's/its or straight/strait, I know* better, but I would never have caught the stationery/stationary error. Thanks for pointing it out, maybe I will remember.

*I resisted the urge to spell it 'no'.

Actually that's an easy one. Here's a little saying to help you remember, writing stationery has a "e" for envelope. 😁

• Like 2

It makes good sense for HAL to re-employ excellent employees on the basis of seniority when cruising resumes.  

In this "new normal" that is approaching, it also makes good sense for many of these experienced employees to say:  "I have enjoyed my years of service.  But, it's time for a change in my life circumstances."

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 2:37 PM, Himself said:

I just hope you world cruisers get your luggage back and soon. This is over 4 months and counting 

I understand the luggage is on a ship heading for the Panama Canal, according to the DAILY from Rich.

8 hours ago, Himself said:

I understand the luggage is on a ship heading for the Panama Canal, according to the DAILY from Rich.

Our luggage is indeed on the way to us!  It's on a cargo ship called "Gulf Bridge" and was offloaded in Singapore from the Amsterdam.  After making several stops in Asia, the ship is now on it's way to the Panama Canal and will make a couple stops in the US ending in Miami on August 27th.  I'm sure it will take a bit for the 8 containers to be offloaded and brought to wherever the luggage will be sorted, tagged and then sent onward to us.

Linda R.

Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 9.41.21 PM.png

27 minutes ago, cruzingnut said:

Our luggage is indeed on the way to us!  It's on a cargo ship called "Gulf Bridge" and was offloaded in Singapore from the Amsterdam.  After making several stops in Asia, the ship is now on it's way to the Panama Canal and will make a couple stops in the US ending in Miami on August 27th.  I'm sure it will take a bit for the 8 containers to be offloaded and brought to wherever the luggage will be sorted, tagged and then sent onward to us.

Linda R.

The ship tracking says Miami but the email everyone got says Fort Lauderdale.  I wonder if they will transfer the containers from Miami to a HAL warehouse in FLL for tagging and distribution.

3 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

The ship tracking says Miami but the email everyone got says Fort Lauderdale.  I wonder if they will transfer the containers from Miami to a HAL warehouse in FLL for tagging and distribution.

Yes, while the ship will unload in Miami, the containers will be brought elsewhere for unloading.  I thought I heard Miramar at one point which is up by Ft. Lauderdale.

Apparently CDC is soliciting input on guidelines for how the resumption of cruising should proceed.  It's a bewildering array of open questions and makes one wonder if the whole nature of the experience will be so radically changed as to be unappealing.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/07/21/2020-15812/request-for-information-related-to-cruise-ship-planning-and-infrastructure-resumption-of-passenger?fbclid=IwAR1vmT7pwlxocBK41i4TCxvoLwp_SpXvfImrqnEJ4cBs0yERuvgpDWY8dfA

11 minutes ago, Himself said:

Is Gibraltar  The turnover spot for the Rotterdam and AMSTERDAM? 

I would THINK the handover would be in Rotterdam when the ships go into drydock for conversion but that's just a guess.  Gibraltar may be just a waypoint for the trans-Med journey much like the destination was Suez when they sailed from Asia to the canal.  Just a guess though.

Roy

14 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I would THINK the handover would be in Rotterdam when the ships go into drydock for conversion but that's just a guess.  Gibraltar may be just a waypoint for the trans-Med journey much like the destination was Suez when they sailed from Asia to the canal.  Just a guess though.

Roy

Handover should be in Rotterdam and I think "stuff" will be offloaded there.  This info is strictly "unofficial".

51 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Perhaps it is a stop on the way to Rotterdam.  Thanks for the reply, Roy

Himself

On 7/26/2020 at 9:45 PM, cruzingnut said:

Linda R.

Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 9.41.21 PM.png

She is scheduled to arrive at the Panama Canal on Aug. 13, 2200 hrs.  When she transits depends on if she has an appt., or not.  EM

10 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Anyone else thinking of having a welcome home party for their luggage 🧳.  We are thinking about it if we can figure out how to apply social distancing. 😎

Party already planned here.  Since Linda and I live in small condos in a high rise building, we optimistically rented a storage locker for the month of September large enough to socially distance our luggage for fumigation and damage assessment.  Much like in museums of today, our friends may make appointments to peer in the door at or take photos of our exotic luggage exhibit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, mame42 said:

Party already planned here.  Since Linda and I live in small condos in a high rise building, we optimistically rented a storage locker for the month of September large enough to socially distance our luggage for fumigation and damage assessment.  Much like in museums of today, our friends may make appointments to peer in the door at or take photos of our exotic luggage exhibit.

Sounds like a plan!

19 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

She is scheduled to arrive at the Panama Canal on Aug. 13, 2200 hrs.  When she transits depends on if she has an appt., or not.  EM

According to Rich's post today the Amsterdam luggage is off Baha California on its way to the Panama Canal.

21 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I would imagine she has an appt. (such as is may be) for it as it is a standard route this ship does from Miami to/from Singapore.  It's not making a special trip just for our luggage. 

Linda R.

20 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

Not sure what you meant when you wrote "wrong ship" when I said handover would be in Rotterdam.  Both the Amsterdam and Rotterdam will be going there.   I read elsewhere that both ships will need to do their required drydock prior to handover and that Rotterdam (city) is hoping to have some kind of good bye ceremony for the Rotterdam (ship).