Picture-A-Week 2020 - Week 14

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, March 30 and Sunday, April 5.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

It's been raining all week here in Oregon.  So when I noticed the sun was shining brightly at dinner time, after raining heavily a few minutes before, I ran for my camera and out the front door..._DSC9485.thumb.JPG.9e6998f82125f2f6f644628e22859971.JPG

_DSC9478.thumb.JPG.a8a29c4c07e4247d26ec6cc33e7bf8ba.JPG

The trees and birds believe it is spring.

Vic

• Like 2

Yes, I know that chicken soup won't actually cure any of the pandemic illnesses that have stricken the world through recorded history. However, the remedial effects of chicken soup have been studied scientifically and evidence was found that it contains anti-inflammatory properties that may help prevent or soothe a cold or flu’s miserable side effects. Nice to have confirmation, but long before science stepped in, it was widely known that a steamy bowl of homemade goodness can actually make you feel better. Feel. As in the way you feel. This photo is from our ongoing family recipe book project and it features Kim’s long-standing favorite formula for creating a family-sized dosage of semi-scientific medicine that is good for what ails you. 

Home Remedy

p3877491372-5.jpg

Dave

• Like 3

Last week at least, I still had one place I could get out to - the Everglades...not the big National park down by Miami, but the grassy river itself that flows through the center-south of the state, accessible from the east or west coasts by driving away from the beach for about 15 minutes until all roads end.  It takes miles upon miles of walking open levees to spot just a few animals or birds, and the heat was over 90 degrees last weekend...but anything to get different scenery than the house and yard for just a few hours is worth it, and social distancing is easy when no one else is out there.  I got a few shots from the Glades, then jumped in the pool when I got home and took a few more from the swimming pool of the wildlife in the back yard:

A green anole on a leaf out in the cypress marshes out west:

original.jpg

A red-shouldered hawk on alert from up in a tree, watching me pass below:

original.jpg

Off he flew after deciding I was not a threat and he could go back to hunting for food:

original.jpg

It's that time of year out in the western wetlands - the eastern lubber grasshoppers have sprouted from the ground by the thousands - they're still juveniles with their black shells lined with racing stripes, but will soon morph into giant orange and yellow and red grasshoppers nearly 4 inches long, and clumsy as blind drunk hobos:

original.jpg

From the swimming pool, a squirrel enjoying the peanuts I threw out for them to keep them away from my bird feeders...he was sitting in the shade of my hibiscus tree:

original.jpg

This is a most ridiculously tiny fly - less than 1/8 inch - that landed on the pool float that was supporting my camera and lens while in the pool...it's a species of long-legged fly, and I fortunately had a lens capable of good minimum focus distance to get in tight with the minuscule fella:

original.jpg

A mourning dove flying off through the yard after feasting on some seeds:

original.jpg

• Like 4

Last weekend I was by our pond and saw ripples in the water. Looking closely I saw maybe 100 toads all around the pond mating. I don’t know where they came from. A constant song was sung and the action was wild. They were really in a frenzy. Saturday was very intense, Sunday not quite as much. Monday there were a few still around, by Tuesday all the toads were gone. It was so fascinating!

DSC_5854.JPG

DSC_5850.JPG

DSC_5848(1).JPG

DSC_5488.JPG

DSC_5487(1).JPG

DSC_5485.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...