Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

49 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

We woke up in Cleveland this morning for an early flight to San Francisco.  We stayed at the Sheraton at the airport, so we only had 2 minutes from there to the terminal.  

I wish I would have been fast with my camera, because there was a gentleman strolling through that would have put CLR to shame.  A purple paisley suit with matching boots, purple hat, purple cane, and it looked like he bought out the gold by the inch rack.  Susan thought he may have been somebody, because he received the VIP treatment at security.  

Meanwhile, we made our way through, and had to wait as one of our carry on bags got pulled for extra security.  Grandson had raided a stash of quarters to take home to his piggy bank.  We knew it would happen, because it happened to us once before when we were carrying a coin collection.  We saw it on the X-ray as they studied the dark mass. 

We made it through and waited to board our United flight. 

6A7CC041-5D31-4C9D-8F31-9289FECD94A6.thumb.jpeg.93384473cf6f27cc98149748c65dc656.jpeg

We kept seeing all the videos and emails on the extra lengths United was going to, to clean their aircraft. Well, it looked clean, until I started searching for the power outlets under or between the seats.  Hmm, no outlet here, but lots of “snacks” on this ledge. 

061D85AC-7F18-4C34-9BFC-D385ABD4F261.thumb.jpeg.eff09f9326c0981bac92c3fc999c3cec.jpeg

Found the outlets, but also found more goodies by the seat tracks. 

B3C70C27-F81D-4261-A22E-09B741ACA339.thumb.jpeg.5dbfc5061274b77eb8a91081554a8743.jpeg

We finally arrived and crossed the Golden Gate on the way to our son’s house. 

4A276F45-B229-4677-88AB-F7ABADBDC496.thumb.jpeg.38430a9ef1ac9b59bf0cfd323d9f77a1.jpeg

Welcome to California, land of high gas prices. 

14D34640-B518-4740-9838-848ACAE15C51.thumb.jpeg.5bfb362cb37588aa7c30dc764bbd7530.jpeg

So today, grandson is back with his parents, and we are enjoying a little family time.  

WOW!  I thought it was bad here.

Glad you had a safe flight.  I'm sure your grandson's parents are overwhelmingly happy to see him.  Enjoy your family time while in California;  hopefully your return flight will have a much cleaner plane for your trip home.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Awesome. As a mom of twoboyz, and nana of twograndzoons, I'm "partial" to .... sons 😁

Sorry I didn't notice the "tell tale" blue wrapping paper -- and I'll explain.

The concept of "baby shower" is known to me only from books, magazines, TV.

It doesn't "exist" here, people being very superstitious about anything done before birth. It is thought to bring bad luck.... As I've previously mentioned, different cultures and mentalities.

"What about all the necessities for the [new] baby?" you ask.

Ohh, glad you've asked.... In line with the "mentality", the expecting couple goes to a baby shop (or more), makes the command, and everything will be delivered after the birth.

NOTHING will be in their house before.

After the 1st baby, of course there will be in the house clothes, furniture, accessories, etc., but nothing new will be added before the birth of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and so on.

Same goes with wishing someone "happy b'day" ahead of time....

Never knew this.  Loving learning new things about different cultures, thank you for sharing😊💐

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Especially Bermuda.  Bermudians are mostly dressed smart casual on a regular basis compared to Caribbean islands where it is very casual for most.

Speaking of Bermuda.  There was a young woman who worked for the same company I did when I worked in Uptown Manhattan in 1969-70.  Her last name was Outerbridge.. it was her family that the Outerbridge Crossing from Staten Island to NJ was named after.  Anyway, she was from Bermuda.  Jim and I took our daughters on a cruise to Bermuda in 1987, and I ran into her while walking down the street there.   Small World we live in!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

The White Lotus is playing on HBO.  Only 6 episodes but I read the will make another season with all new casts and new location.  

Maybe will make it's way to Netflix

Oh, I hope so!  We do have Netflix, but not HBO...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

We woke up in Cleveland this morning for an early flight to San Francisco.  We stayed at the Sheraton at the airport, so we only had 2 minutes from there to the terminal.  

I wish I would have been fast with my camera, because there was a gentleman strolling through that would have put CLR to shame.  A purple paisley suit with matching boots, purple hat, purple cane, and it looked like he bought out the gold by the inch rack.  Susan thought he may have been somebody, because he received the VIP treatment at security.  

Meanwhile, we made our way through, and had to wait as one of our carry on bags got pulled for extra security.  Grandson had raided a stash of quarters to take home to his piggy bank.  We knew it would happen, because it happened to us once before when we were carrying a coin collection.  We saw it on the X-ray as they studied the dark mass. 

We made it through and waited to board our United flight. 

6A7CC041-5D31-4C9D-8F31-9289FECD94A6.thumb.jpeg.93384473cf6f27cc98149748c65dc656.jpeg

We kept seeing all the videos and emails on the extra lengths United was going to, to clean their aircraft. Well, it looked clean, until I started searching for the power outlets under or between the seats.  Hmm, no outlet here, but lots of “snacks” on this ledge. 

061D85AC-7F18-4C34-9BFC-D385ABD4F261.thumb.jpeg.eff09f9326c0981bac92c3fc999c3cec.jpeg

B3C70C27-F81D-4261-A22E-09B741ACA339.thumb.jpeg.5dbfc5061274b77eb8a91081554a8743.jpeg

We finally arrived and crossed the Golden Gate on the way to our son’s house. 

4A276F45-B229-4677-88AB-F7ABADBDC496.thumb.jpeg.38430a9ef1ac9b59bf0cfd323d9f77a1.jpeg

Welcome to California, land of high gas prices. 

14D34640-B518-4740-9838-848ACAE15C51.thumb.jpeg.5bfb362cb37588aa7c30dc764bbd7530.jpeg

So today, grandson is back with his parents, and we are enjoying a little family time.  

Have fun, that airplane seat is gross.  Did you say anything?

• Like 1

Awesome. As a mom of twoboyz, and nana of twograndzoons, I'm "partial" to .... sons 😁

It doesn't "exist" here, people being very superstitious about anything done before birth. It is thought to bring bad luck.... As I've previously mentioned, different cultures and mentalities.

Ohh, glad you've asked.... In line with the "mentality", the expecting couple goes to a baby shop (or more), makes the command, and everything will be delivered after the birth.

After the 1st baby, of course there will be in the house clothes, furniture, accessories, etc., but nothing new will be added before the birth of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and so on.

Our family or rather my mom’s family did not and still do not do baby showers.  Many years ago my moms sister’s best friend and baby died not long after the shower so after that no showers.  Recently my daughter’s friend’s husband died the day after their baby shower.  It was heartbreaking and they tried in vitro so many times before they got pregnant.  The little girl will never know her dad.

di

@dani negreanu Today is Friday the 13th.  Here it’s considered a bad luck day.  Is it the same in Israel?  I have really enjoyed learning about the similarities and differences between cultures.  Since we can’t travel to see these differences, this thread has been great!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, George C said:

We had great seats to see Todd Rundgren Beacon May 2020, who had just seen a few months before on a charter cruise, of course this was canceled. Hope to see him in the future he was amazing on our Celebrity Infinity cruise. He also just got elected to rock and roll hall of fame.

Todd Rundgren is another artist not mentioned here.  I saw him in the 70s about the time his album, A Wizard, A True Star came out.  I don’t remember the exact venue in Ohio but I do remember it was outdoors because after the concert he took off in a helicopter and circled the crowd before flying off.  

I still have a couple albums.

943FB87A-CB09-4853-B965-4356761F6D10.thumb.jpeg.f6d1472c4cd5e8fc150c6c9cd5667431.jpeg24B1A7AE-4421-413E-94F6-BF14F83EB1B2.thumb.jpeg.dd8f0074b6dd2dc2370b4b176f28e8cf.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

I did not have baby showers for any of my kids even though friends and co workers wanted to host them. When I was pregnant with my twins I spent 2 months in the hospital on bedrest and quite a few people brought gifts for the babies. I had a friend take the gifts to her house. 

I texted my son congratulations on his new tattoo but reminded him that now he can't be buried in a Jewish cemetery.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Our family or rather my mom’s family did not and still do not do baby showers.  Many years ago my moms sister’s best friend and baby died not long after the shower so after that no showers.  Recently my daughter’s friend’s husband died the day after their baby shower.  It was heartbreaking and they tried in vitro so many times before they got pregnant.  The little girl will never know her dad.

di

That is heartbreaking.

• Like 1

What made you "change your mind"?

I wish I could drive everywhere instead of flying....

It was a trip I couldn't figure how to fly. I wanted to go to my oldest daughters' college   graduation in Pittsburgh. I also want to visit the air museum in Washington with my youngest daughter, who was living with me at the time. Driving was the only solution that made sense.  (I95 was now done it Georgia, but not in Florida,  but Florida turnpike was not a bad option)

Edited by mo&fran
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

...We kept seeing all the videos and emails on the extra lengths United was going to, to clean their aircraft. Well, it looked clean, until I started searching for the power outlets under or between the seats.  Hmm, no outlet here, but lots of “snacks” on this ledge. 

You should email those to United or post on their FB page. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

di

That's horrible.

23 minutes ago, ownedbypets said:

...I texted my son congratulations on his new tattoo but reminded him that now he can't be buried in a Jewish cemetery.

Is this true? So I'm guessing there is a smaller percentage of Jewish people with Tattoos? Sorry, but I really don't know.

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

Speaking of Bermuda.  There was a young woman who worked for the same company I did when I worked in Uptown Manhattan in 1969-70.  Her last name was Outerbridge.. it was her family that the Outerbridge Crossing from Staten Island to NJ was named after.  Anyway, she was from Bermuda.  Jim and I took our daughters on a cruise to Bermuda in 1987, and I ran into her while walking down the street there.   Small World we live in!

On a small world, I was in a pool in Porto Vallarta over 25 years ago talking to a couple and it turned out we all went to the same high school in Brooklyn in the 1960’s 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Oh that is fascinating! What an interesting tradition in Israel. I never had any children, so I never participated other than as an attendee. What is even stranger here are the more recent "gender reveal" explosions, where they blow things up, hurt people and start fires. Such an odd thing that even the person who started the concept, said they should be banned. :classic_rolleyes: Explosions in general are a bad idea. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ownedbypets said:

I texted my son congratulations on his new tattoo but reminded him that now he can't be buried in a Jewish cemetery.

Really? Is that another rule? I never had any idea about all of these things. We don't have any tattoos and we are not Jewish, or any particular faith. But that is fascinating. :classic_smile: All these interesting things that I learn on Cruise Critic. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Back for more racing on this hot and humid night. 

Last weekend our friend put his car into the wall laps into the race, while at another series 4 hours from home. 

After a week of late night repairs he is back at it. Let’s go Trevor!!!!  

45FC0F9D-BE54-4F78-B021-033018DA56DC.thumb.jpeg.f1f7e50970a2eff26d19eb0ed1f23bf9.jpeg

One of the reps who call on me is racing dirt at an obviously lower level than your races. He is pushing 60, and has done this off and on for the last 40 years.  I call him Mcgyver because about 20 years ago he joined me and a contractor for golf at my club but had a bad brake caliper, and was talking about it on the course, so my contractor buddy, said after the round I will meet you at your hotel with my tools and we will fix it.  When the contractor and his wife showed up he had fixed it with a jack, a lug wrench and a screwdriver.  Anyway he was driving from KC to Salina to race at a track he has never visited because he hates the KC tracks because there is a family of racers that took him out 3 times last year.  He was hoping they were going to Iowa tonight.  He called to tell me that late this afternoon.  

My big trip this year isn’t the trip to Key West or our cruise on the Allure in December, our big high dollar trip is to COTA for the US Grand Prix in October.  From about the age of 5 until I was about 18, I went to 3 or 4 races a week with my brother and sister-in-law or my sister and brother-in-law.  I went to Daytona, Taladega, and many times to the Indy 500.  Thousands of local dirt and asphalt races.  This will be my first F1 race.  It is like flying first class to Australia expensive.  My wife of 40 years is going to hate me, and while F1 uses 2 hybrid motors they are still burning fossilized fuels and destroying the planet, not to mention all of the rubber they shred around every corner going faster than any planet can survive.

jc

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Todd Rundgren is another artist not mentioned here.  I saw him in the 70s about the time his album, A Wizard, A True Star came out.  I don’t remember the exact venue in Ohio but I do remember it was outdoors because after the concert he took off in a helicopter and circled the crowd before flying off.  

I still have a couple albums.

943FB87A-CB09-4853-B965-4356761F6D10.thumb.jpeg.f6d1472c4cd5e8fc150c6c9cd5667431.jpeg24B1A7AE-4421-413E-94F6-BF14F83EB1B2.thumb.jpeg.dd8f0074b6dd2dc2370b4b176f28e8cf.jpeg

One of the best concerts I ever saw was in early 1981, just after we were married, Todd and Utopia did a show at the old basketball arena that only sat about 2000 at my college.  it was 3-1/2 hours of pure Todd topia.  It was awesome.  We saw him about 5 or 6 years ago in a bar of about that size, and he still has his voice.  However, he has ADD and played whatever he wanted including Loren Greene…. It was a good show, and one of the guys from Utopia was still with him.  Fun night, but nothing like 1981.  

• Like 2

Loren Greene was the father on Bonanza and not exactly a singing star. Todd sang some silly cowboy song with great glee.

My favorite part of the show was him talking about life and how Daft Punk played some of his stuff early on and invited them to the Grammy party.  Todd thought they really appreciated him, until the people sat him and his wife in the balcony.

He said they are genius.  If I had known you could wear helmets and play, I could have had anyone playing my bit while I collected the checks.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

One of the best concerts I ever saw was in early 1981, just after we were married, Todd and Utopia did a show at the old basketball arena that only sat about 2000 at my college.  it was 3-1/2 hours of pure Todd topia.  It was awesome.  We saw him about 5 or 6 years ago in a bar of about that size, and he still has his voice.  However, he has ADD and played whatever he wanted including Loren Greene…. It was a good show, and one of the guys from Utopia was still with him.  Fun night, but nothing like 1981.  

We see loads of 1970’s stars on our music cruise, many I am not that familiar with , but he was the most entertaining act I have ever seen, this was last year , will definitely see him anytime he plays around us. Unfortunately they limit the artist to about 90 mins on the cruise. He had some very funny songs , one of which I will not name. My wife was disappointed only to the fact he didn’t sing “hello it’s me”

• Like 1