Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

18 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

LOL....Neil did some really strange stuff. I think one of the most unique albums is "On the Beach" - love the cover....with the fin of a Caddy buried in the sand. What a lyricist. Same for Dylan. I have a good number of albums (vinyl, of course) from both. I think the last Neil Young album I bought was "Time Fades Away" - I know there were lots after that. 

I have every CSN ,every CSNY and every Neil Young record ever released.

6 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Nobody was ever like Dylan .The closest as a singer is Mark Knoefler.

Nobody has ever written like Dylan.He ,aside from the Beatles is the greatest influence on music in my opinion.

Neil and Dylan WERE alike... in their vocal inconsistancies.... in MY opinion.

Did you ever hear Dylan's Christmas album???  Check THAT one out...."Christmas in the Heart". Voice sounds pretty gravelly in there!  Dylan was so emblematic of the era and, at least in the beginning, was the quintessential protest singer. Lots of leftist political messages, so he really laid the groundwork for other folk musicians and performers. Then, of course, he sort of moved away from politics. One of those amazing acts that has endured the test of time, which takes me back to my earlier post...just how long WILL some of this music play as time goes on?   Neil..."You know how time fades, time fades away....."

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Huh...didn't know that. 

Well now THERE's something!  Some quick research shows that a possible connection there is through Reprise records - which Sinatra started. Young did most of his recordings on that label.

As much as I'm into music, and being a musician, most ironically I've gone to very few concerts over the years. Went to see Zappa once - the loudest thing I've ever experienced. Pretty wild...they cut their hair during the intermission and came out in the second act looking totally different. Another musical genius in his own right - did lots of transcriptions for orchestra in later years. Surely not the best rock guitarist that ever was though. I think someone like Steve Vai is probably more proficient. Vai actually played with Zappa for several years and did transcriptions for him. 

I have been to more concerts than anyone that I know.Primarily because I knew many singers.
A woman who had more songs written about her than probably any person on the planet had an online chat room 20 years ago where singers and musicians would post in real time. I was a good friend of hers and she invited me to join them.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Hmmm..you got me. I stopped buying albums after Topographic Oceans, so anything newer than that I'm not familar with. 

The song is Wonderous Stories.  I didn’t recognize it until I looked it up and listened to it.  It came out late 1977 which is about the time I stopped with new stuff.  Listen to it.  A nice mellow yes song.  I would probably not recognize much after this too. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

The song is Wonderous Stories.  I didn’t recognize it until I looked it up and listened to it.  It came out late 1977 which is about the time I stopped with new stuff.  Listen to it.  A nice mellow yes song.  I would probably not recognize much after this too. 

I thought I picked a song that everyone would know. My bad.

14 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Listen to it.  

I just did....wow....just....wow!! Here's a great video of it. Once again, Andersen has to be one of the best lead pop vocalists of all time. Amazing voice. Squire's bass playing is always terrific as well - uses the instrument to do way more than just lay down a bass line. Howe has some terrific guitar moments in this towards the end. Love how Squire is just smiling near the end. That's a GREAT song...never heard it before. So it's from "Going for the One". I never bought that one. And, of course, Wakeman is just on his own wave...as always. These guys are - like some other groups - just a magical combination that wound up getting together. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, OnTheJourney said:

I just did....wow....just....wow!! Here's a great video of it. Once again, Andersen has to be one of the best lead pop vocalists of all time. Amazing voice. Squire's bass playing is always terrific as well - uses the instrument to do way more than just lay down a bass line. Howe has some terrific guitar moments in this towards the end. Love how Squire is just smiling near the end. That's a GREAT song...never heard it before. So it's from "Going for the One". I never bought that one. 

I have many ,but not all of the YES albums.

11 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I thought I picked a song that everyone would know. My bad.

Here is a song that came out about the same time that I remember.  Newer band but comes to mind when the cruise sail date gets close.

Come sail away, come sail away
Come sail away with me 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Here is a song that came out about the same time that I remember.  Newer band but comes to mind when the cruise sail date gets close.

Come sail away, come sail away
Come sail away with me 

Styx. Love the song. Often times it was played in an abridged version. I like the full version much better.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, leftyloosey said:

I used to take my daughter to teeny-bopper concerts all, like Avril Lavigne, not that there's anything wrong with that. I just dropped her off and waited outside. Then the year before she started college, I thought she needed an education, so I took her to a Phish concert.

I have two daughters.One loves Bon Jovi and the other loves Nirvana .

The one who loves Nirvana also appreciates good Rock Music .

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Maitaivegas said:

I’m new to Arkansas and I live in the Ozarks (NW Arkansas).

Couple of months ago my smart hub monitor starts sounding an alarm because there was a tornado 10 miles away scared me to death.

I am from So Cal so I am only used to earthquakes and wildfires.

That must have been quite a change for you! :classic_biggrin: Even when we visit the in-laws in Louisiana, I have to slow down and think before I speak sometimes. :classic_smile: I will never forget trying to pay for groceries with a traveler's check and the confusion it caused. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Did you ever hear Dylan's Christmas album???  Check THAT one out...."Christmas in the Heart". Voice sounds pretty gravelly in there!  Dylan was so emblematic of the era and, at least in the beginning, was the quintessential protest singer. Lots of leftist political messages, so he really laid the groundwork for other folk musicians and performers. Then, of course, he sort of moved away from politics. One of those amazing acts that has endured the test of time, which takes me back to my earlier post...just how long WILL some of this music play as time goes on?   Neil..."You know how time fades, time fades away....."

I have all of Dylan on either cd on vinyl or both , wasn’t that crazy about the Christmas cd. I was talking to the group America on a cruise a couple of years ago , they told me that the one who had a Dylan cover on a recent cd worked extremely hard to get it perfect. That is what I love about the music charters that you can sometimes have a conversation with someone you have been listening to for decades.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

I was at a concert that featured Joan Baez and Bob Dylan.Every song they sang would be termed leftist political.

• Like 1