Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

50 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I am basing my experience from 1962 .Apparently it is a lot different now.

I wasn't around in 1962 but I'm wondering if the Guy Lombardo & Dick Clark TV specials encouraged people to go & therefor made it a far more overcrowded & hectic experience today than it was back in 1962. Just my humble guess.  And add me to the list of people who have no desire to be in NYC on NYE.

Growing up, watching those 2 TV specials from home or a friends house was how I spent my NYE until I was old enough to go out on my own.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, akcruz said:

We can't both fly, our house in PA is in a very rural area so need a car, besides DH brings various tools back and forth in case needed along with various linens I take back and forth, no washing machine there so need to beung them all back to wash.  Basically too much crap goes back and forth to fly.   It is usually between a 10 and 11 hour drive.  I download shows to my tablet to keep me occupied. 

We did that once,  I think 86 for the big staue of liberty celebration, told my husband never again.  Yes it was beautiful show but I am not a crowds person.

One of my friends retired to SC ,quite a difference from NYC.

4 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I wasn't around in 1962 but I'm wondering is the Guy Lombardo & Dick Clark TV specials encouraged people to go & therefor made it a far more overcrowded & hectic experience today than it was back in 1962. Just my humble guess.  And add me to the list of people who have no desire to be in NYC on NYE.

Growing up, watching those 2 TV specials from home or a friends house was how I spent my NYE until I was old enough to go out on my own.

My parents listened to Guy Lombardo on New Years Eve every year on the radio,Last year on NY ever I watched it for a while on You Tube.

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I have the same bathroom issue. Turn on the "fasten seat belt" sign and I have to go. I think I know where every public bathroom in NYC and Boston are located.

When my brother and I were younger and we traveled and cruised as a family our mother  would sometimes remark that we didn't miss any bathroom that we encountered.

3 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Wellll, I can tell you which gas stations and Starbucks locations have the cleanest bathrooms along I 95 from NJ to Florida.....

@Luckynana pay attention, pay attention! 🤣🤣

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We used to think our Son Chris had anxiety about road trips and going to the bathroom.    We would leave somewhere after using their bathroom and 1 hr later he would say he had to go again.     As he got older we learned he simply liked to stop and check out new places.   He also loved to check out porta-pots.  No idea why he was intrigued by them.

We recently had some siding work done at our office and they had a porta-pot at the top of the driveway.   I sent him a picture asking if he wanted to come check it out😁

1 hour ago, akcruz said:

My husband knows every place to stop between SC and PA, times his breaks accordingly.  We tried a new route on one of our recent trips, completely threw him off on bathroom stops.

My grandson from California can’t pass up a bathroom.  He always has to go, whereas, my grandson from PA can go all day without visiting a bathroom.

Probably none of you would survive one of my roadtrips with planned and timed stops.  I may post something in a couple days when our trip south begins.  Going 1,220 miles, but we give ourselves three days for the trip.

• Like 9

On 12/9/2023 at 2:25 PM, Ocean Boy said:

Thank you for the warning but we'll be home tonight. The crowds are ridiculous. Coming here always seems like a better idea when I'm at home than actually here.

Boston is a much more civilized city.

I feel the same way. NYC is a nice place to visit but I could never live there. I always enjoy visiting but I also always enjoy going back home. I'm just not a crowds or noise person.  Some people get their energy from that, I just get a headache.

Next Saturday, friends of mine want me to go visit the Rockefeller tree with them.  I'm going to try to convince them that we should go to Bryant Park instead. It's a short walk from Grand Central, the tree much more approachable as is the free ice skating rink & plenty of pop-up places to grab a drink or a bite to eat. It is crowded but people seem more civilized. Rockefeller tree is over rated in my opinion.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I once went to NYC for 4th of July fireworks on the East River. I won't be doing that again anytime soon either.

Me too. I was underwhelmed, it seemed more impressive on TV.  It was a spur of the moment decision so maybe I was in the best viewing location but judging from the 17.2 trillion people standing next to me on the FDR Drive, it was a popular viewing location.

Yesterday, we celebrated an early 41st birthday for my son-in-law.  His actual birthday isn’t until the 25th.  Took everyone to the Chophouse, and service was horrible, and the food was dried out. 

We also celebrated an early Christmas, so the grandkids could open their presents before we leave this week. 

IMG_9507.thumb.jpeg.8f61477080d7ccd33042aff033a1d106.jpeg

I will say, they are getting harder to buy for, the older they get.  

• Like 21

11 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I feel the same way. NYC is a nice place to visit but I could never live there. I always enjoy visiting but I also always enjoy going back home. I'm just not a crowds or noise person.  Some people get their energy from that, I just get a headache.

Next Saturday, friends of mine want me to go visit the Rockefeller tree with them.  I'm going to try to convince them that we should go to Bryant Park instead. It's a short walk from Grand Central, the tree much more approachable as is the free ice skating rink & plenty of pop-up places to grab a drink or a bite to eat. It is crowded but people seem more civilized. Rockefeller tree is over rated in my opinion.

I left NYC for a small LI town in 2003. 

5 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Yesterday, we celebrated an early 41st birthday for my son-in-law.  His actual birthday isn’t until the 25th.  Took everyone to the Chophouse, and service was horrible, and the food was dried out. 

We also celebrated an early Christmas, so the grandkids could open their presents before we leave this week. 

Happy early birthday to your son in law.

• Like 2

On 12/9/2023 at 2:02 PM, NHProud said:

The last two episodes summed it up.  Everyone showed up in court to air their grievances against those four and at the end they are sentenced to jail for not lending aid.  We last see these four shallow , self absorbed, egocentric individuals forced to spend time with only themselves for company.  That’s my take on the last show. 

I like the show and I too have seen many reruns.  I’ve seen Seinfeld perform four times and with Jason Alexander , once.  I’ve watched Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee.  The episode of him driving President Obama on the White House grounds was really funny. 

There was an actual Peterman catalog which I would get in the mail. 

What do you think of the last episode? It didn’t go over well with the viewers.

I liked it, the finale. I'm not sure how it could have ended any other way. Seinfeld is one of my all time favorite comedy shows that have stood the test of time although I could never be friends with any of the characters.

I just started watching Comedian in Cars getting Coffee on Netflix. It's enjoyable & I like seeing the different vintage cars.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

I’ve only seen a snippet of photos from the gala. The cruisers certainly dressed beautifully (I didn’t see Laura).I see each country they are cruising to was represented as a room decoration.  If Australia was featured, would love to know what was used to represent our country?

PENGUINS🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:
1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

The bathrooms at Sak’s Fifth Avenue are the cleanest public bathrooms I ever used.

And I made several visits yesterday.😉

Does Sak's still have their light show projected onto the building? For me, that's worth visiting Rockefeller Center.

EDIT: Answered my own question.

https://discovernyc.tours/saks-light-show-2023-fifth-avenue-a-must-see-nyc-attraction/

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Does Sak's still have their light show projected onto the building? For me, that's worth visiting Rockefeller Center.

https://discovernyc.tours/saks-light-show-2023-fifth-avenue-a-must-see-nyc-attraction/

We were not there when it got dark. I didn't think the windows were all that impressive this year.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I liked it, the finale. I'm not sure how it could have ended any other way. Seinfeld is one of my all time favorite comedy shows that have stood the test of time although I could never be friends with any of the characters.

I just started watching Comedian in Cars getting Coffee on Netflix. It's enjoyable & I like seeing the different vintage cars.

I highly recommend the internet show Doctors on Walks getting Food.

Several people who post on this thread read it beside me.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Gorgeous grandkids.  Gorgeous tree.  Sorry the birthday restaurant experience was awful.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Colonial Road is a beautiful section of Brooklyn.

That night I had an adventure.I went with a friend to a party.When we left he could not get his car stated.I suggested that we walk to where we could get a bus but no buses seemed to be running that night and we walked all the way home about 8 miles.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

After clicking that link, you saved me a trip to NYC 🙂  Now I feel like I'm not missing anything now........EXCEPT the STINKING CROWDS !!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Is it true that on the average people from Staten Island have lower cholesterol than any one in the state. 

😆

Staten Island was always a great place to live .When I worked at my long time job many people retired there rather than Fla.I spent the summer of 1959 working there and it was great.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I was last in a Sak’s bathroom in about 2013.