Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, Lionesss said:

Now I made the buckeyes, nut keiffels, Kolachi and Almond soft batch

The cookies look great.  It's been a long time since I’ve seen buckeyes made!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gardener5b said:

We are in the path of totality, with expected time of 3 minutes 29 seconds.   They are expecting crazy amounts of traffic in our area.   Several major roadways have been designated for emergency vehicle access, and they are warning residents that cell phone coverage will probably be overwhelmed.    They are even starting our weekly trash pick up to begin at 5am to be off the streets ahead of the eclipse.  Thankfully we don't have to travel.  We have our Eclipse glasses, so are all set to watch from our home.

There's a story in my online Times about Brits going to USA just to see the eclipse.

You're so lucky it's in your neighbourhood.  Enjoy !!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, voyager70 said:

Beautiful pics but that second one practically gave me a panic attack just looking at it. No way would I have been able to even attempt that and I’m a pretty skinny guy!

I do admit that you had to be a contortionist to squeeze through some places.  

One small cave we went in, we found this guy trying to squeeze through this opening. 

IMG_0918.thumb.jpeg.b98cfec3ca8fff61f548af769535cfed.jpeg

He did make it through, but not without help.  We opted to go back out the way we came in. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

aw thanks for your nice reply.  I will prebook like you said and pick the option if I get delayed.

A little worried about getting to Southampton as a lot of cruise lines no longer have hotel packages with transportation.  They send you to the trains.  I am glad I did Celebrity in 2019 with hotel packages.  

Nice to know bus goes to Dover.  I remember when more ships like say Disney went out of Dover. 

Hal is no longer even doing cruises out of Copenhagen. In fact, a lot of ships have pulled out of Copenhagen as well as Amsterdam.  I guess water issues and locals complaining just like Bar Harbor and Key West.  Glad I did Bar Harbor last year and the year before on Adventure OTS.

You must come over to Miami and get on the ICON OTS.  I will be on her in 4 weeks and looking forward to seeing the layout.

BTW where I live in PA, I will have 90% of the solar eclipse and will watch tv coverage and not look at the sun.

Well now good to chat with you.

Thank you.

There are lots of hotels in and around Southampton you can book direct which we do every time we cruise from Southampton.

Google Southampton hotels.

We often stay at Premier inn West Quay Harbour parade which is next to a big shopping centre and 5-10 minutes taxi to any of the cruise terminals.

Our next cruise we are booked in 

Leonardo Grand Harbour hotel.

We sailed out of Miami end of January 2023 on Oasis of the seas staying 2 nights pre-cruise and 2 nights Post- cruise at a hotel on South Beach Miami.

Icon looks awesome so I hope you have an amazing cruise.

There have been numerous train strikes in the last year in England so I would be apprehensive of using the train especially from London.

Regards 

Graham.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

aw thanks I will give Dover a pass.  Sounds like lots of roads in UK are busy.

Dover is the main Ferry port to Europe and the traffic can be miles long and why we won't sail from Dover.

2 hours ago, sgmn said:

There's a story in my online Times about Brits going to USA just to see the eclipse.

You're so lucky it's in your neighbourhood.  Enjoy !!

Our house is within the path of totality also, so we just have to go outside and look up.

We have rain forecast this morning, but it should clear out in time for the eclipse.  They are projecting 35% to 55% cloud cover at that time.  Yesterday would have been perfect with no clouds in the sky. 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, h20skibum said:

It was a beautiful day for hiking today, so we traveled to Nelson-Kennedy Ledges State Park in Ohio. They had four short trails.  One listed as easy, two listed as moderate, and one listed as extreme.  

There were quite a few large sandstone rock formations that made for an interesting hike.  We hadn’t watched any videos or researched the trails prior to jumping in. 

On the extreme trail, we made it through the fat man’s peril.

IMG_0915.thumb.jpeg.a54b7791c4500758f69796b1aa65da62.jpeg

The trail kept getting narrower, and we got to the portion appropriately named “the squeeze”.

IMG_0919.thumb.jpeg.f250cfbd47520784f5b086abc9fea864.jpeg

When you got through the squeeze, you ended up in the devil’s ice box.  The way out is straight up the rock wall where you can see a little daylight about 15-20 feet up. I had to climb up to a ledge, help Susan up, and repeat until we made the top. 

There were a couple waterfalls along the trails.  This one was at the end of an easy trail. 

IMG_0912.thumb.jpeg.4426a7a12e63581651cf3451c4c9a024.jpeg

Our last trail at this park took us on a moderate path.  Through the “dwarf’s pass”

IMG_0921.thumb.jpeg.8e523339778691c6879d94c6420be62b.jpeg

And on to find the waterfall at the end of this trail. 

IMG_0923.thumb.jpeg.a9e3ed9599c5a90463f029f4bd09eb0b.jpeg

If you look at the top right of the photo, you can see someone sitting at the top of the rock, so it gives an idea of scale.  

One neat thing was the the gold miner’s cave that was behind those falls. 

What an trail!  I am impressed that you & your wife happily did an extreme trail with no research.  If I saw an extreme rating, I would be “heck,no!”.  The kiddos made me aware of Alltrails last year, so now, every time DH suggests a bushwalk that is new to me, Alltrails reviews are my go to. Basically I want to know how many stairs are involved….

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

What an trail!  I am impressed that you & your wife happily did an extreme trail with no research.  If I saw an extreme rating, I would be “heck,no!”.  The kiddos made me aware of Alltrails last year, so now, every time DH suggests a bushwalk that is new to me, Alltrails reviews are my go to. Basically I want to know how many stairs are involved….

We have had the Alltrails app for a few years.  When we are traveling, we will use it to find walking trails near where we are staying.

The extreme trail was only 0.2 miles long, so I guess we figured if it got too bad, we would just turn and go back.  I think the only extreme portion was getting to the end, and realizing we had to climb the rock face to get out.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

As always, spectacular photos.  This one reminds me of St. Croix. Atlantic Ocean on one side and Caribbean Sea on the other.

_CM_8008-61.thumb.jpg.6f55c9646fbb83d27966ba6d94f080b9.jpg

I don’t know the difference between St Croix and St Kitts so didn’t realise the mistake 😀 but agree it looks very similar 

On 4/7/2024 at 11:36 AM, Coralc said:

We've never had it, because we seem to end up with older, adopted animals, of uncertain age with pre-existing conditions. I think if we ever have a kitten, we will look into it further. 

We’ve not had pet insurance for the similiar reasons but my friends with pedigree pets have made it a priority to have it.

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Lionesss said:

Hi everyone. 

I am so happy my life centers around retirement. With so much free time. NOT!

This past weekend I was in charge of the cookie table for  our parish center dedication for one of the best Priests a Catholic Community could ask for. 

Now I made the buckeyes, nut keiffels, Kolachi and Almond soft batch. 

IMG_0599.thumb.jpeg.a78c1af2fc53b8048c3afc845ead0809.jpeg

IMG_0601.thumb.jpeg.8157565425360c460a04461685a9fc75.jpeg

IMG_0600.thumb.jpeg.6c15f7e97d2e03e9c2e68bdcc83329e3.jpeg

The women of our parish  also baked for a combined total of 34 varieties. 

Need I say it was a great success. 

Today I drove for one of my few remaining babysitter for Zoey as my daughter and son in law will be relocating to a new city. 
Brandon was accepted as the new assistant strength and conditioning coach at ………..(to be shared soon) as he makes the official announcement. 

Let’s just say it will make my travels much shorter 😁

IMG_0602.thumb.jpeg.de7796dbdb7e423f9bb666c24af8484b.jpeg

One of my BILs will retire this year after a lifetime as a  Minister in the Anglican Church.  I suspect one of the reasons he is not fit and at the ideal weight like his brothers, is that he has enjoyed the superb baking skills of the ladies from his  country parishes.

How wonderful @Lionesssthat your son, DIL and adorable Zoey will be living closer to you.

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 6

@grapau27

Graham, the mom of my stepcat sent me one of her best friends for "cruise consulting"... The friends want to cruise the Norwegian Fjords with P&O (originally they're from England) and asked me about the itinerary.

I've tried to check it on an US site, which I'm using to see rates and availability, before asking our TA to book us.

I was surprised that P&O is not available for booking through an US-based agency. Anyhow, I've managed to see the itinerary on P&O's official site, which was not very user friendly.

It includes the Geiranger fjord, which is a must. No suites available, only mini-suites for Iona on the 6th of July.

Do you have any experience with mini-suites on Iona? Thanks,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On Saturday, I FaceTimed my “kids” asking them what they needed me to bring over from Australia for them. My son just added socks and his favourite tracksuit pants to the wish list  I already posted here.

My daughter just asked for the sunscreen from our Cancer Council shops.E0BDBEF3-FCFF-4862-A6A6-E7CA21473FD6.thumb.jpeg.09e83b25de6d73c4ff4a0aea3b040bd1.jpeg

My son’s ski resort in BC closed yesterday.  My daughter’s ski resort in BC will close this weekend.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

So next year I am sailing out of Southampton (Emerald Princess)

Our experience when sailing out of Southampton --

Book a private transfer from Heathrow to a London hotel.

Spend 2-3 days in London.

The day before the cruise -- book a private transfer from London hotel to, for example, Premier Inn West Quai Southampton. From the Holiday Inn you can just walk to the pier....

Morning of the cruise -- you're all set within 5-10 mins drive to pier.

National Express buses and trains -- all require additional transfers by taxi.

If flying in from US, might as well spend a couple of days in London, to get over the jetlag.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

@grapau27

Graham, the mom of my stepcat sent me one of her best friends for "cruise consulting"... The friends want to cruise the Norwegian Fjords with P&O (originally they're from England) and asked me about the itinerary.

I've tried to check it on an US site, which I'm using to see rates and availability, before asking our TA to book us.

I was surprised that P&O is not available for booking through an US-based agency. Anyhow, I've managed to see the itinerary on P&O's official site, which was not very user friendly.

It includes the Geiranger fjord, which is a must. No suites available, only mini-suites for Iona on the 6th of July.

Do you have any experience with mini-suites on Iona? Thanks,

The Mini suites are called Conservatory suites and most are on deck 8 and 9.

They are overpriced and the promenade deck is deck 8 which goes all of the way around the ship and people can look into your cabin while walking past.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dani negreanu said:

National Express buses and trains -- all require additional transfers by taxi.

I would add that “it depends”.   We took National Express from Heathrow, then walked from the station to the Holiday Inn.  But then, you know we are walkers. 

This map is from my report.

IMG_6931.thumb.jpeg.2f82c4f8893a29901022a81fade85ef0.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, h20skibum said:

But then, you know we are walkers. 

You and us too.... We walked with our carry on from the Premier Inn, through the Holiday Inn's parking lot, to the pier. Checked the route the evening before, since someone posted about this possibility to cross through HI's parking lot.

BUT, for "regular" people it might not be a "viable" option.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

The Mini suites are called Conservatory suites and most are on deck 8 and 9.

They are overpriced and the promenade deck is deck 8 which goes all of the way around the ship and people can look into your cabin while walking past.

Thank you so much for your quick and detailed reply, Graham. Much appreciated.

I've copied your post for the friend of the friend and told her to book only deck 9. She is also wait listed for a full suite.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Thank you so much for your quick and detailed reply, Graham. Much appreciated.

I've copied your post for the friend of the friend and told her to book only deck 9. She is also wait listed for a full suite.

You are very welcome Dani.

There are few perks for these cabins which are just like a large balcony cabin with an enclosed conservatory sitting area then the balcony.

Screenshot_20240408_110009.jpg

• Like 2

Dani @dani negreanu.

I'm home now and checked.

Conservatory suites are only deck 8 and 9.

The photo shows the lack of privacy on deck 8 promenade conservatory suites.

If your friend wants to book Speciality restaurants on line they are available to book 14/15 nights pre-cruise with your preferred dining time.

The best speciality restaurant is Epicurean at £30pp for a big 3 course choice.Booking direct you get a 20% discount off this.

Our loyalty discount gets us an extra 8.5% discount.

Sindhu Asian restaurant has a £10pp supplement.

In Sindhu food is individually priced and the supplement is deducted off the total price with an additional 20% taken off when paying the bill.

There are no gratuities required anywhere on P&O but I tip £5 every night in the speciality restaurant and give our cabin steward something as well.

Graham.

IMG_20240408_113708.jpg

Screenshot_20240408_110009.jpg

IMG_20240408_114140.jpg

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

There are few perks for these cabins which are just like a large balcony cabin with an enclosed conservatory sitting area then the balcony.

Thanks, Graham.

I really have trouble understanding the promenade cum lack of privacy "thing" of those mini-suites. Those balconies do not "border" with the sea? Is the promenade between the sea and those balconies????

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

The photo shows the lack of privacy on deck 8 promenade conservatory suites.

That looks similar to the layout of the Cabana Cabins on deck 9 of the new Sun Princess.

This is a portion of Iona deck 8 plan

IMG_6932.thumb.jpeg.99f43387548045213afdb82995f3f0ee.jpeg

11 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Thanks, Graham.

I really have trouble understanding the promenade cum lack of privacy "thing" of those mini-suites. Those balconies do not "border" with the sea? Is the promenade between the sea and those balconies????

It looks like the promenade in front of those cabins

On Sun Princess, it is similar, but it is a cabana deck where anyone in a cabana on that deck could be in front of your cabin.  That was one reason we didn’t book there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1