Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

22 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Feel better.  Stay hydrated, not just martinis! 

I got my first on Tuesday and wasn't able to lift my arm for almost two days and have had chills alternating with sweats up until today.  Not looking forward to shot number two. 🙁

Oh wow, my first shot was a breeze.  Maybe your second will be good.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Israel established official diplomatic relations with Dubai (non official were ongoing for years).

Israelis are big fans of traveling abroad, and Dubai is a fascinating new destination.

Over the years, I kept reading about the 7* Burg al Arab hotel, and, when the kids asked what I would like for my 70 b'day (on top of an unused gift for DH, courtesy of Covid, which was 70 in 2020), I said that I would like a night at this hotel (I knew it starts at 1500$ room only....).

Now, with the surge of Covid, our airport is closed, except for humanitarian cases.

May be in another time... or era 😢

That is quite exquisite hotel.   I could only dream that my children would gift me a trip like that.     I hope that someday you are able to make a trip there and stay at this beautiful hotel.    The architect did an amazing job in designing the building and the facilities.   Gorgeous rooms and the restaurants look fabulous too!    

I could dream that our boys would send us on a trip like that 😘

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Just woke up from my second shot achy nap.  At least I feel better but my arm is sore.  Why is the second shot worse😷?

Sorry to hear this Marietta.

I was given a good tip to not lie on my side of where the vaccine jab was.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Israelis are big fans of traveling abroad, and Dubai is a fascinating new destination.

Over the years, I kept reading about the 7* Burg al Arab hotel, and, when the kids asked what I would like for my 70 b'day (on top of an unused gift for DH, courtesy of Covid, which was 70 in 2020), I said that I would like a night at this hotel (I knew it starts at 1500$ room only....)

We had afternoon tea at the top of the Burj Al Arab in the sky view bar and once on a training course in Dubai we were shown around the hotel. It is pretty amazing but I could never justify spending so much on a hotel stay even if I had won the lottery 😁

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Feel better.  Stay hydrated, not just martinis! 

I got my first on Tuesday and wasn't able to lift my arm for almost two days and have had chills alternating with sweats up until today.  Not looking forward to shot number two🙁

34 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

It was the same for me. I felt sick and ran a fever and couldnt eat the next day after shot 1 and 2.

Anything to feel safer again.  A day or two of feeling sick worth it to me.

That.

Almost everyone I knew took it "harder" the 2nd shot. 1st shot was mainly sore arm for a day or two.

DH ran a slight fever after the 2nd shot, feeling lousy for 1.5 days.

I had only a sore arm, like after the 1st shot....

Our youngest son (38) was a wreck for 2 days, finishing it by sweating profusely the last night, waking "like new" in the morning.

Oldest (40) was feeling weird...

Both of them after the 2nd shot.

Just be prepared.... Take it easy.... It is worth it !!😁

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

That.

Almost everyone I knew took it "harder" the 2nd shot. 1st shot was mainly sore arm for a day or two.

DH ran a slight fever after the 2nd shot, feeling lousy for 1.5 days.

I had only a sore arm, like after the 1st shot....

Our youngest son (38) was a wreck for 2 days, finishing it by sweating profusely the last night, waking "like new" in the morning.

Oldest (40) was feeling weird...

Both of them after the 2nd shot.

Just be prepared.... Take it easy.... It is worth it !!😁

Sorry to hear this Dani.

That's how I felt at the beginning of my covid19 infection.

Graham.

• Like 1

Anyone I know who has had Moderna seems to have more reaction than those with Pfizer.  My DH got Pfizer on Monday and other than a little soreness, he has been fine.  I couldn't get an appointment at the same place, they booked up in the time it took me to book his, so I went to another place which has Moderna.  Very happy we have had our first shots, just very different reactions.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Israel established official diplomatic relations with Dubai (non official were ongoing for years).

Over the years, I kept reading about the 7* Burg al Arab hotel, and, when the kids asked what I would like for my 70 b'day (on top of an unused gift for DH, courtesy of Covid, which was 70 in 2020), I said that I would like a night at this hotel (I knew it starts at 1500$ room only....).

Now, with the surge of Covid, our airport is closed, except for humanitarian cases.

We went for afternoon tea in March 2017 at the Burj Al Arab while we were on an RC Emirates cruise.

Screenshot_20210226_223600_com.tripadvisor.tripadvisor.jpg

Screenshot_20210226_223621_com.tripadvisor.tripadvisor.jpg

Screenshot_20210226_223658_com.tripadvisor.tripadvisor.jpg

Screenshot_20210226_223722_com.tripadvisor.tripadvisor.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Anyone I know who has had Moderna seems to have more reaction than those with Pfizer.  My DH got Pfizer on Monday and other than a little soreness, he has been fine.  I couldn't get an appointment at the same place, they booked up in the time it took me to book his, so I went to another place which has Moderna.  Very happy we have had our first shots, just very different reactions.  

It really was crazy trying to get appointments.  As soon as one was booked the others were gone.  I was really lucky last Sunday when I was trying to reschedule so we would be together.  We were supposed to go tomorrow and looks like rain so happy we are done.  The only bad thing was they seemed to schedule a ton of people for the same times!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

It really was crazy trying to get appointments.  As soon as one was booked the others were gone.  I was really lucky last Sunday when I was trying to reschedule so we would be together.  We were supposed to go tomorrow and looks like rain so happy we are done.  The only bad thing was they seemed to schedule a ton of people for the same times!

I tried to reschedule but didn't happen so his was 20 minutes away and mine was an hour.  Where I went at Gillette Stadium is doing 6,000 a day but is very well run.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

That is quite exquisite hotel.   

I could dream that our boys would send us on a trip like that 😘

The boys gave us a voucher (500$) for a romantic WE in a 5* spa-hotel -- that was for DH 70 b'day. We didn't use it (Covid) ...

I'll be 70 next month, so I'm "eligible" for same "allowance"...

We're used to getting whatever they decide to give, and then add to it whatever we like. When I was planning a trip from Paris to Monet House in Giverny (involving a metro, train & cab), they said: "take a driver/guide" as our gift. It was a brilliant idea, and we of course toped a bit 😉

15 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

So sad Dani.  So your honey and I turned 70 in 2020 and locked the world down😳

We had 2 cruises booked for his special b'day, and a family vacation to Cyprus with the kids&grandkids, all "on the house"..... we didn't spend a cent in 2020, and I doubt we'll travel in 2021....

7 minutes ago, sgmn said:

We had afternoon tea at the top of the Burj Al Arab ...t is pretty amazing but I could never justify spending so much on a hotel stay even if I had won the lottery 😁

I other times I'll agree with you 100%, and I'll never even consider it....

But, NOW, at my age, I'm looking at things differently. If, and when, it will be for just one night.

2 years ago, we took a cruise from Singapore, and I've heard much about Marina Bay Sands pool.

I understood that you cannot get a day pass to see (and may be swim) the pool, it was restricted for guests only.

I booked the cheapest room an year in advance, with a great rate, but, still, having "pings of conscience"....

I got to swim in this amazing pool, the hotel was an extraordinary experience, and, now, in retrospect, I'm so happy having splashed out 800$ for 2 nights, incl. b'fast 😁.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

Just woke up from my second shot achy nap.  At least I feel better but my arm is sore.  Why is the second shot worse😷?

I was going to make the margarita comment but was beat to it. 

53 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Oh wow, my first shot was a breeze.  Maybe your second will be good.

I can’t wait for the first one.

The flu shot, with just one jab typically hurts. Much to the same description as your second one. I’m ready. 🙂

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We went for afternoon tea in March 2017 at the Burj Al Arab while we were on an RC Emirates cruise.

So glad for you to enjoy such a special occasion 💐

I have a cruise-friend in Manchester, she told me there was this option of booking an afternoon tea, otherwise you can't just wander into this hotel (like you do in Las Vegas when you just want to see the lobby...).

I think it was at least 5 years ago, and she told me the price was 90 pounds, if I remember correctly. She also told me that you couldn't "stray" and look around....

We can't take a cruise which includes other Arab countries (Oman, Muskat), and even if we could -- I wouldn't risk booking such an expensive "event" and the ship delayed for one reason or another.

For the moment this is just another dream, and I enjoy talking about it 😁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

The boys gave us a voucher (500$) for a romantic WE in a 5* spa-hotel -- that was for DH 70 b'day. We didn't use it (Covid) ...

I'll be 70 next month, so I'm "eligible" for same "allowance"...

We're used to getting whatever they decide to give, and then add to it whatever we like. When I was planning a trip from Paris to Monet House in Giverny (involving a metro, train & cab), they said: "take a driver/guide" as our gift. It was a brilliant idea, and we of course toped a bit 😉

We had 2 cruises booked for his special b'day, and a family vacation to Cyprus with the kids&grandkids, all "on the house"..... we didn't spend a cent in 2020, and I doubt we'll travel in 2021....

I other times I'll agree with you 100%, and I'll never even consider it....

But, NOW, at my age, I'm looking at things differently. If, and when, it will be for just one night.

2 years ago, we took a cruise from Singapore, and I've heard much about Marina Bay Sands pool.

I understood that you cannot get a day pass to see (and may be swim) the pool, it was restricted for guests only.

I booked the cheapest room an year in advance, with a great rate, but, still, having "pings of conscience"....

I got to swim in this amazing pool, the hotel was an extraordinary experience, and, now, in retrospect, I'm so happy having splashed out 800$ for 2 nights, incl. b'fast 😁.

I'm pleased you had a wonderful time.

We love our cruises and hotel holidays and missed them for the last year.

Never regret spending money on a holiday.

We took Pauline's mam with us on 6 cruises after Roy her wonderful dad died.

This was Ruth's last cruise on her 90th birthday on P&O Ventura almost 8 years ago.

IMG-20210215-WA0005.jpg

• Like 10

27 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

The flu shot, with just one jab typically hurts.

In my experience, the flu shot "disable" me for 4-5 days. The arm really hurts and is a bit inflamed. 

In normal times I was swimming Sunday-Thursday, and was timing the shot for Thursday afternoon, to give my arm a rest at least Friday and Saturday....

I was pleasantly surprised that both Pfizer shots were much much easier on my arm 😁

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

So glad for you to enjoy such a special occasion 💐

I have a cruise-friend in Manchester, she told me there was this option of booking an afternoon tea, otherwise you can't just wander into this hotel (like you do in Las Vegas when you just want to see the lobby...).

I think it was at least 5 years ago, and she told me the price was 90 pounds, if I remember correctly. She also told me that you couldn't "stray" and look around....

We can't take a cruise which includes other Arab countries (Oman, Muskat), and even if we could -- I wouldn't risk booking such an expensive "event" and the ship delayed for one reason or another.

For the moment this is just another dream, and I enjoy talking about it 😁

There are guards on the bridge about 100 metres from the hotel entrance and we had to show proof of our booking to get past them.

Once inside we had a good look around the Burj Al Arab.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We took Pauline's mam with us on 6 cruises after Roy her wonderful dad died.

This was Ruth's last cruise on her 90th birthday on P&O Ventura almost 8 years ago.

Such nice gestures on your part. It is not something to be taken for granted.

On a much brighter side, if Ruth was cruising at 90, I might have time.... there is hope 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1