Noordam Transpacific Vancouver to Tokyo

Floridastorm

Am considering this cruise in late September and would just like to know a little about the itinerary, how the seas were, and a general review from folks that have made this journey or a similar one.

Thanks for any info provided.

Dave  🦝

Hi Dave,

such a hit or miss weather wise, we did this itinerary in the Fall 2018, had a very pleasant crossing, most days ocean was as smooth as ice.  We recommended this trip to coworkers who went Fall 2019 and that is when the hurricane hit going towards Japan, they missed two ports, were in the middle of a hurricane, the ship changed direction to come up behind the storm.  Anyhow same trip two different years, two different outcomes.  The two coworkers still loved the cruise, despite the weather.  Hope we are back to cruising in the fall of 2020. Hope you have a great cruise.   The Japanese people are lovely and very hospitable, we had a wonderful time.  

• Like 1

We've done the Pacific crossing 4 times (once eastbound) and the actual crossings were quite smooth.  In 2019 as mentioned above, we had some "interesting" moments while cruising around Japan and Russia.

• Like 1

We are also considering it, but as a B2B  or B2B2B to enjoy the cruising around Japan.  We have done this repositioning a few times in both directions.  While the weather can be a problem between Alaska and Japan, the important thing to know is that the ship can steer away from an approaching storm toward calmer seas.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

While the weather can be a problem between Alaska and Japan, the important thing to know is that the ship can steer away from an approaching storm toward calmer seas.

My experience during the Fall of 2002 on the Volendam's Maiden Asia Pacific Cruise:

We sailed from Vancouver.  On the first morning at sea, we were West of Vancouver Island and the seas were very active.  Totally unexpected by either Captain Harris or the gurus in Seattle.

Most days were good sailing days, but crossing the Pacific, we did experience the tail end of a typhoon for a day or two despite the Captain's attempt to avoid it as much as possible.  Our Port was a Russian port and it would have probably caused a more sailing tract North than a sailing to Japan would require.  

Was it unusual?  Yes.  The seas were rough enough that the Chief Engineer was injured and had to be removed from the ship at Dutch Harbor (along with a fugitive from the law--but that's another story) and there were some ill guests.

Wherever on whatever seas that we sail, we must be prepared to make the best of whatever King Neptune provides for our good ship.  

We were booked on this cruise and there is a roll call for it.

I loved the itinerary and we were doing the collectors.

My fear - and I’m not trying to be a Debbie Downer here is that we don’t know when this virus will end and if it will have a second wave if it goes.

After seeing how Japan treated the Diamond Princess and the Westerdam, I was not willing to risk this cruise this September.  We will do it when we know it is safe (or as safe as one can be) but not this September.  

I’m not trying to kill your dreams but I treat Japan with caution right now until this is over.

• Like 2

Jacqi, I respect your opinions.  I was on the Westerdam, and I didn't like how we were treated by the Philippines and Thailand.  We were not allowed to go to Japan after visiting Hong Kong, but I understand what they were thinking based on what was known at the time.  Personally, I enjoy a cruise where a large percentage of the passengers are Japanese.  I like walking around in Japan, because I know I am safe an no one will pick my pocket.  We have been on the Diamond Princess a few times when it cruised around Japan with the majority of the passengers from Japan.  I would do it again.

Ray and Sara

• Like 1

Surely appreciate all of the pertinent information provided. Helps me make a correct decision. If September is clear of this virus and HAL is fully back in business we will be going on this cruise. Will be able to use the 125% FCC and $250 PP OBC that we optioned for in lieu of a refund.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kazu said:

We were booked on this cruise and there is a roll call for it.

I loved the itinerary and we were doing the collectors.

My fear - and I’m not trying to be a Debbie Downer here is that we don’t know when this virus will end and if it will have a second wave if it goes.

After seeing how Japan treated the Diamond Princess and the Westerdam, I was not willing to risk this cruise this September.  We will do it when we know it is safe (or as safe as one can be) but not this September.  

I’m not trying to kill your dreams but I treat Japan with caution right now until this is over.

I agree, and I love Japan and cruising.  However, I do not intend to step foot on a cruise ship until a vaccine is available.  A treatment, while helpful, doesn't prevent one from getting the disease.

3 hours ago, Floridastorm said:

Surely appreciate all of the pertinent information provided. Helps me make a correct decision. If September is clear of this virus and HAL is fully back in business we will be going on this cruise. Will be able to use the 125% FCC and $250 PP OBC that we optioned for in lieu of a refund.

Do you actually have to be onboard by the end of the year?  The fall is the onset of flu season, and the symptoms can mimic COVID.  So you book in September, and a week later someone comes down with the flu.  A bit of a gamble from my perspective.

6 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Do you actually have to be onboard by the end of the year?  The fall is the onset of flu season, and the symptoms can mimic COVID.  So you book in September, and a week later someone comes down with the flu.  A bit of a gamble from my perspective.

My understanding is that you have to book by Dec. 30 this year and sail in 2021 (in our case).  I think some FCC offers have a sail by date in 2022.  You don’t have to sail in 2020 - just book.

We did this a couple of years ago, but we stopped in Stika rather than. Dutch,. but not was smooth for the first week, then we ran. in to some pretty heavy seas and wind until the day before the first Japan port. Loved the cruise and all the sea days. I think we actually left in early Oct, rather than Sept. Love to do it again , but not this year.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking that this Covid-19 thing will be long gone by the end of June and definitely by August so the September 27th sailing to Japan should be a go. However, we never know when HAL will be starting up again. They have an entire industry to basically rebuild with things being delayed for all sorts of reasons even if they get the go approval. The ships will have to be mechanically inspected from stem to stern with any maintenance and repairs done. Probably entire new staffing will have to be hired and trained. Renegotiation and scheduling with ports and other contractual obligations made.  Not easily done quickly. 

16 minutes ago, Floridastorm said:

I'm thinking that this Covid-19 thing will be long gone by the end of June and definitely by August so the September 27th sailing to Japan should be a go. However, we never know when HAL will be starting up again. They have an entire industry to basically rebuild with things being delayed for all sorts of reasons even if they get the go approval. The ships will have to be mechanically inspected from stem to stern with any maintenance and repairs done. Probably entire new staffing will have to be hired and trained. Renegotiation and scheduling with ports and other contractual obligations made.  Not easily done quickly. 

I wouldn't worry too much about HAL starting up again as the ships are being maintained better now than they would have been with cruisers onboard and less wear and tear.  Crews are already in place and trained.  Additional crew will need to be flown in, but that is short term.  The scheduling people have little else to be doing at the moment than planning/projections/modelling.

The uncertain element is when will borders reopen.  Canada is closed until July 1st at earliest.  Airlines are not flying to schedule and hotels are closed.  

Then you have the problem of Covid 19 being gone by the end of June!  From where will it be gone?  Will it be back?

39 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I wouldn't worry too much about HAL starting up again as the ships are being maintained better now than they would have been with cruisers onboard and less wear and tear.  Crews are already in place and trained.  Additional crew will need to be flown in, but that is short term.  The scheduling people have little else to be doing at the moment than planning/projections/modelling.

The uncertain element is when will borders reopen.  Canada is closed until July 1st at earliest.  Airlines are not flying to schedule and hotels are closed.  

Then you have the problem of Covid 19 being gone by the end of June!  From where will it be gone?  Will it be back?

I had read that most of the cruise lines either fired or let their staff go. With no income I wonder how they would continue to pay thousands of employees, house them, feed them, and generally take care of them. I know that Carnival has let their employees go. At least that is what was reported. Covid-19 is still about 20,000 deaths short of the common Flu deaths that come around in the US every year. The common Flu normally disappears by late Spring. So, I'm banking on that schedule.

4 hours ago, Floridastorm said:

I'm thinking that this Covid-19 thing will be long gone by the end of June and definitely by August so the September 27th sailing to Japan should be a go.

Really?   There is a fear of a second wave in the fall.

It might be a go, but I won’t be on it.

• Like 1

Although I'm a Four Star Mariner with HAL, I regularly sail on other lines and was booked on a Vancouver-to-Tokyo sailing for this September on the Cunard Queen Elizabeth, a slightly longer version of the Noordam cruise. Cunard cancelled it two days ago, along with every other cruise this summer that was to begin or end in Vancouver. I'm sure HAL---a sister company to Cunard (they're both part of Carnival Corp.)---will do the same.

The Alaskan cruises have apparently been cancelled through the end of 2020 by HAL. However, the Noordam Vancouver to Tokyo September 27th makes two ports in Alaska but them proceeds Transpacific to Japan. I am curious if HAL has cancelled this cruise as it's not really an Alaskan cruise but is a Transpacific cruise.

Also, if this cruise has not been cancelled, I am looking to book Oceanview Cabin G4087 on the Upper Promenade deck. This cabin is next to what looks like 3 empty cabins or spaces. Does anyone have a clue what those spaces are?

image.png.28bebfeaf127c1895dc09a375c93ff71.png 

1 hour ago, SilvertoGold said:

Staff staterooms.  I've seen the BBKings in these cabins.

4087 will be obstructed view (lifeboats).

Good to know.  I will not be choosing G4087 because I would imagine that staff are party goers. By the way did a chat with HAL and as of now none of the ships that go west out of the west coast and Canada  will be cruising in 2020. Actually 4087 is an ocean view as it looks out between two lifeboats.                          

9 minutes ago, Floridastorm said:

Actually 4087 is an ocean view as it looks out between two lifeboats.                          

I have had such a stateroom and I liked it.  Floor to ceiling windows allow for much light; had a restricted view of the ocean beyond the ship; decent view of the deck beneath me.  Keeping at least the sheer curtain closed is not a bad idea at times.  Crew members sometimes walk on the catwalk outside the stateroom to work on the lifeboats.  

On 4/10/2020 at 9:05 AM, Tampa Girl said:

However, I do not intend to step foot on a cruise ship until a vaccine is available.  

A vaccine may never be available. How long will you wait ?  

2 hours ago, Floridastorm said:

Good to know.  I will not be choosing G4087 because I would imagine that staff are party goers. By the way did a chat with HAL and as of now none of the ships that go west out of the west coast and Canada  will be cruising in 2020. Actually 4087 is an ocean view as it looks out between two lifeboats.                          

We were 4065.  BB King staff like someone else has mentioned are in those rooms. They were not noisy or party goers at all.  If I didn’t see them going in or out of the cabins, I would had had no idea they were there.