Asking for a friend, seriously...

lysolqn

Back in October friends of ours booked a Greek Isles cruise w/air on Edge for late July.  With the final payment date rapidly approaching, last week they called their travel agent to cancel and were told they would receive a full refund of their deposit, pre-booked shore excursions and meal package but not their airfare. Instead, they would receive a credit for their airfare which is valid for one year from the date they originally booked.  In other words, they now have approximately six months to make use of that credit or they will lose it.  Considering the current state of the travel industry, cruises and otherwise, and today's CDC extension of its existing 100 day No Sail Order (pushing it until at least July), the likelihood is they will never get to use that air credit.

Always booking air on our own, we can't offer them any helpful info but I thought I would post to see if anyone had any info that might be useful.  Thanks.

So they have non-refundable air, correct or not?

They may, if possible, want to wait on cancelling the air portion, as if the airline cancels then a whole different set of rules and time lines may apply.

Maybe you wish to post this on the air board here on CC.

Good luck and bon voyage

Check with your airline.  Some have become flexible.  I cancelled United air I used with miles.  They rebanked my miles but charged me $250 to do it at the time.  Their policy changed since then, and I got $125 back for rebanking  my wife's miles, and a $125 cruise voucher for my miles, which is good for two years from the date they issued it (last week).  🍷

• Thanks 1

We had a non refundable flights on American which recently changed their policy allowing the cancellation of flights without penalty.  We now have a credit for the amount of the flights which is good through December 2021.  They should check with their airline as many have made similar changes.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lysolqn said:

Back in October friends of ours booked a Greek Isles cruise w/air on Edge for late July.  With the final payment date rapidly approaching, last week they called their travel agent to cancel and were told they would receive a full refund of their deposit, pre-booked shore excursions and meal package but not their airfare. Instead, they would receive a credit for their airfare which is valid for one year from the date they originally booked.  In other words, they now have approximately six months to make use of that credit or they will lose it.  Considering the current state of the travel industry, cruises and otherwise, and today's CDC extension of its existing 100 day No Sail Order (pushing it until at least July), the likelihood is they will never get to use that air credit.

Always booking air on our own, we can't offer them any helpful info but I thought I would post to see if anyone had any info that might be useful.  Thanks.

Why don't you have your friend sign up for Cruise Critic so all the details  of the booking could be readily  available?

22 hours ago, lysolqn said:

but not their airfare. Instead, they would receive a credit for their airfare which is valid for one year from the date they originally booked.  In other words, they now have approximately six months to make use of that credit or they will lose it. 

Has your friend bothered to call the airline to see if they are offering extensions on such credits the way many airlines are doing?

I had an all-inclusive resort stay booked in Jamaica for May.  The resort closed for the pandemic.  My airfare charge, booked in January with American, was originally going to be given back as a voucher valid until December 2020.  Then they changed that to the end of 2021.  This week AA cancelled the flight to Jamaica.  I was able to cancel my whole reservation and get a refund (they say - I'm waiting for the actual refund to hit my account).

So keep checking with the airline, things are changing quickly.  And if the airline cancels you are in a much stronger position.

Edited by bobndee
additional thought