Allegiant Air Voucher

Buck64

We cancelled our Allegiant Flight scheduled for July and received a voucher for a future flight.  It says we have to take the flight within 1 year or original booking.  We originally booked the flight Nov 2019 and it says we need to fly by Nov 2020.  We don't plan on flying by then so we will be out the entire fare.  I did come up with an idea:  Go ahead and use the voucher to book a flight with no intention of going BUT purchase travel insurance with the ability to cancel for any reason.  This way we would only be out for the cost of the insurance instead of the whole fare.  Would this work??  Any other suggestions would be appreciated too.

Here's what the "fine print" says:  

All travel involving funds from this credit voucher must be completed within one year from the date of the original booking. Voucher is non-transferable.

Your "voucher"  probably has no cash value.    Plus this idea may be on the edge of insurance fraud.    Read your fine print of the terms of the voucher.    Likely uninsurable anyway,   or everyone would be doing it.   

I don't think that plan will work, you are insuring a credit, which has no cash value per se.  I had an Allegiant flight too and I waited for them to change my fight time, which they did last night, so I was able to get a cash refund.  Maybe take a quick weekend trip somewhere this fall.  

1 hour ago, Buck64 said:

We cancelled our Allegiant Flight scheduled for July and received a voucher for a future flight.  It says we have to take the flight within 1 year or original booking.  We originally booked the flight Nov 2019 and it says we need to fly by Nov 2020.  We don't plan on flying by then so we will be out the entire fare.  I did come up with an idea:  Go ahead and use the voucher to book a flight with no intention of going BUT purchase travel insurance with the ability to cancel for any reason.  This way we would only be out for the cost of the insurance instead of the whole fare.  Would this work??  Any other suggestions would be appreciated too.

Vouchers, like frequent flier miles, have no cash value in the eyes of travel insurance. Therefore, not insurable.

Even if it did slide through, your plan constitutes insurance fraud.

If you do not use the voucher, I believe you can file a claim for reimbursement under your original trip insurance (maybe)

Also, I believe there are articles out there that talk about even if the airline offers a voucher, you can request a cash reimbursement anyway under the Covid-19 situation.

Agree with others.  First, you'd need some kind of 'cancel for any reason" insurance which is usually more expensive so might not be worth it vs. just eating the airfare.  Second, the trip you're insuring has no cash value since you're using a voucher.  And once that was evident to the insurance company, they'd likely see through your scheme.

First thing I thought of was: "Can you say fraud???".   

Allegiant can see the status of your voucher - when issues, expiration date.  You do a booking for something near that expiration date and cancel - they know exactly what you are doing.  "COMPLETE" the trip by expiration date.  If you don't complete, even by cancelling, you have exhausted the voucher.

Surely you must have a weekend or a couple of days in a row where you can use your voucher to fly somewhere?   You may be stuck, though:  I looked where Allegiant flies from places in VA - looks like only those places who seem to be always on some kind of Hurricane Watch in the Fall... 

Friends don't let friends fly Allegiant...

• Haha 1