I ain’t going nowhere

jasardeax

Well that's funky. So you've got the high G string and then the lower 3 strings regular pitch. What blows me away is the altered tunings that became popular in the 80s new age music. Of course, people like Joni Mitchell and David Crosby made use of some of that as well. For some really bizarre tunings though, check out Will Ackerman. He is completely on his own wave with that, and intentionally wants to divorce himself from traditional harmonic structures, etc. and so starts with the strings tuned down to literally nothing and then starts bringing them up until he finds a combination he can work with  - describing it as a 'barren landscape' upon which to start seeking out melodies and harmonies. What's amazing about it is that the open strings, collectively, often are not at all what you'd describe as a sonorous or pleasant chord of any sort. Totally bizarre. I can't imagine, then, being able to REMEMBER how to even play all the stuff you've written, like while in concert. It'd be like, for a keyboard player, retuning all the strings in the piano to some random mix and being able to actually play like that, and then a completely different arrangement for the next song, etc. with the keys no longer in the usual half-step sequence. He often has a guitar tech with him - and a whole bunch of guitars - that are pre-tuned for him before each song. But, for me - and most trained musicians in the traditional sense - you really can't relate to using altered tunings in quite the same way as some of these people that were not trained according to reading notes on a musical staff (or tab). I know that Will, when he writes down his tunings (though probably doesn't even need to) refers to the relationship between the strings intervallically as opposed to pitches, matching them up with numbers (referring to number of half steps) - so there is still a bit of the traditional thought process involved. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

Andy, 

Thanks. I would have enjoyed listening to what he had so say (and sing). 

Interesting fact he mentioned in one of his presentation - his first name "Roger" is a stage name, as that wasn't his birth name.

15 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Interesting fact he mentioned in one of his presentation - his first name "Roger" is a stage name, as that wasn't his birth name.

You got me interested. Roger is a middle name he used, but not sure how it came about. His first name is James. His middle name (by birth) is Joseph. 

As you undoubtedly already know, it's not unusual in the entertainment business to change first AND last names. Our local newspaper recently ran an article about famous actors / actresses whose full (real) names are totally different than their performing names. I was quite surprised.... https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gallery/life/people/2017/08/09/87-celebrities-whose-real-names-you-didnt-know/104410216/  I can see changing your name if your birth name is really hard to pronounce or remember. Otherwise just seems sort of odd to do it. Managers and agents, I suspect, often help in that regard. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

Growing up, I loved geography. Learning about foreign countries was so interesting. It has been my pleasure traveling to all those places that I studied while in school. My spouse and I have been happily traveling for 50+ years.  We have visited some of our favorite places many times.  We have had many fabulous vacations.  With the exception of our March Sirena cruise, we always enjoyed cruising. When we first started the stay at home lockdown, we were upset. We understand that staying home is necessary for everyone to prevent more people getting sick. We don’t mind doing our part. We miss being social. We certainly miss hugging friends and family. We don’t like waiting in lines, wearing masks, etc.  what we didn’t expect was that we really like staying home.  There are some really great things to do at home. Cooking recipes that we had put off because they took too much time.  Watching old series that we missed.  Catching up reading, playing online games, No alarm clocks, few if any appointments, and lots of time to do what we like.  No sense getting upset about staying home.  Make the best of it because like the thread says we aren’t going anywhere. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 4:11 PM, OnTheJourney said:

Really, just like the late Dick Clark..was seemingly ageless....swear some of those dudes had a picture in the attic ala Dorian Gray.  The miracles of botox. 

Tom Cruise and Keanu Reeves too.

On 4/18/2020 at 4:14 PM, Roger88 said:

What do you mean you are not going anywhere? The surveys shows that 2 passengers out of 3 will go on another cruise. I mean, those who wanted to cruise - will defiantly do it. Even if they dont travel this year, they will defiently go next year or even 2022. There are many best deals around at the moment. Just keep searching and you will pick the one that fits you the best

I generally don't comment on definitely/defiantly since I know it is often an autocorrect.  Seeing posts on other boards implying anyone considering cruising again to be irresponsible and foolish, your word choice gave me a chuckle 🙂 

On 4/19/2020 at 12:34 PM, OnTheJourney said:

You got me interested. Roger is a middle name he used, but not sure how it came about. His first name is James. His middle name (by birth) is Joseph. 

As you undoubtedly already know, it's not unusual in the entertainment business to change first AND last names. Our local newspaper recently ran an article about famous actors / actresses whose full (real) names are totally different than their performing names. I was quite surprised.... https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gallery/life/people/2017/08/09/87-celebrities-whose-real-names-you-didnt-know/104410216/  I can see changing your name if your birth name is really hard to pronounce or remember. Otherwise just seems sort of odd to do it. Managers and agents, I suspect, often help in that regard. 

I know some who use a different name are because of guild issues.  Michael Keaton was actually born Michael Douglas if I recall and I think Michael J Fox had to use the J for SAG issues, and Davy Jones from the Monkeys I think was another.